HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumors Thread: Part VI

Closed Thread

Old
04-02-2013, 12:10 PM
MugatuNYR
so hot right now

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RGY View Post
Hey Boston could make room, but somehow we couldn't according to the RW police on this board.
I'm sure they met with Jagr and his agent before trading him anywhere. You don't just trade a legend like Jagr to any team without consulting with him first.

Old
04-02-2013, 12:10 PM
16 To Stanley*

Quote:
Originally Posted by -31- View Post
I haven't heard anyone express any urgency to trade St. Croix.
I've seen multiple people throw him in. He is developing pretty nicely IMO. I would like to hold onto him.

Old
04-02-2013, 12:12 PM
Jim Morrison

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
All the RWs!! All of them!

Isn't Glencross a LW though?

Although this might be some running gag I've missed out on...

Old
04-02-2013, 12:13 PM
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls

vCash: 659
Quote:
All the RWs!! All of them!
Doesn't seem to bother Pittsburgh or Boston, you know, two of the top teams in the East.

Quote:
He seems to be mentioned (or Thomas) in every "proposal."
Why did you put proposal in quotes?

Rangers Unlimited
Hockey Graphs
Old
04-02-2013, 12:16 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Morrison View Post
Isn't Glencross a LW though?

Although this might be some running gag I've missed out on...
Jagr is the RW I was referring to.

Old
04-02-2013, 12:16 PM
NYR Viper

Good for Jagr and the Bruins. He will fit in well there and he and Kreijci will make magic together. Hope Dallas got a lot. I like when Eastern teams overpay.

Old
04-02-2013, 12:17 PM
Jim Morrison

Quote:
Jagr is the RW I was referring to.
Ah, I see. I agree we should've been in on him too. But who's to say we weren't?

Old
04-02-2013, 12:18 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Steinbrenner View Post
Sather also knows that you can't overpay when they team is in 8th place and could easily miss the playoffs.
He does?

Funny, because in 2011, he traded a 3rd round pick to get Bryan McCabe. The team was in 8th place.

In 2009, the Rangers were a bubble team, and Sather traded a 2nd rd pick for Nik Antropov. 4th rd pick for Christian Backman (atrocious player) in 2008, and then all of the late round picks dealt for inconsequential scrubs or goons like Jody Shelley.

Just sayin' . . .

Old
04-02-2013, 12:21 PM
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Sting View Post
He does?

Funny, because in 2011, he traded a 3rd round pick to get Bryan McCabe. The team was in 8th place.

In 2009, the Rangers were a bubble team, and Sather traded a 2nd rd pick for Nik Antropov. 4th rd pick for Christian Backman (atrocious player) in 2008, and then all of the late round picks dealt for inconsequential scrubs or goons like Jody Shelley.

Just sayin' . . .
All the way back in 2002 he traded a first when the team was currently out of a playoff spot.

Old
04-02-2013, 12:21 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Doesn't seem to bother Pittsburgh or Boston, you know, two of the top teams in the East.
Boston has one natural RW in their top-six. Pittsburgh has a bunch of guys who are comfortable on either side of center, and Iginla gives them a RH shot on the PP as well. Something they've long been looking for.

Again, the "all the RW" thing is a joke, but it holds true in the sense that you don't simply acquire players for the sake of acquiring players. You need to add the right ones. Jagr, IMO, is not the right one.

Old
04-02-2013, 12:22 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
All the way back in 2002 he traded a first when the team was currently out of a playoff spot.
At least that one made some sort of sense; it was for Pavel Bure.

Old
04-02-2013, 12:23 PM
UAGoalieGuy

Looks like the Bruins gave up a second which can become a first depending on how the Bruins do and two prospects yet to be named.

I'm guessing Caron and Koko.

Old
04-02-2013, 12:25 PM
16 To Stanley*

Quote:
Bure would have been a legend here if it wasn't for the injuries.

Edit: That's also not a rental. Antropov, McCabe, Backman are your traditional rentals. Although i do feel Sather has changed his tune over the past couple years in that regard.

Old
04-02-2013, 12:25 PM
NYR Viper

Dallas is doing well selling this year, wow. Especially if they get Koko for Jagr. Sign UFA's for 1 year and trade them at the deadline? Great idea for teams who can swing it financially. Move Gaborik before he hits UFA?

Old
04-02-2013, 12:26 PM
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls

Quote:
Boston has one natural RW in their top-six. Pittsburgh has a bunch of guys who are comfortable on either side of center, and Iginla gives them a RH shot on the PP as well. Something they've long been looking for.

Again, the "all the RW" thing is a joke, but it holds true in the sense that you don't simply acquire players for the sake of acquiring players. You need to add the right ones. Jagr, IMO, is not the right one.
I term natural (insert position) bothers me. I picture scouts going up to newborns saying "oh look, at that cure little right-defenseman!". Despite not being born a RW, Seguin is certainly a right winger for them now.

Iginla has played RW his whole career but they put him on LW and nothing exploded.

Old
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by UAGoalieGuy View Post
Looks like the Bruins gave up a second which can become a first depending on how the Bruins do and two prospects yet to be named.

I'm guessing Caron and Koko.
If they got Caron and Koko, along with a 2nd, that would make this deal easily the best for the selling team so far. That's a better return than J-Bo or Iggy.

Old
Son of Steinbrenner

Quote:
He does?

Just sayin' . . .
I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure the Rangers were trading "extra" picks for both McCabe and Antropov. The Rangers don't have an extra 1st or 2nd round pick this year. I'm not defending Sather but I can see moving an extra pick to get somebody to help the team. If the Rangers traded and one of the 4 3rd round picks, depending on the return I'd have no issue with that move.

Old
04-02-2013, 12:31 PM
UAGoalieGuy

Quote:
If they got Caron and Koko, along with a 2nd, that would make this deal easily the best for the selling team so far. That's a better return than J-Bo or Iggy.
As he should. He's having a bit of a better of a season the Iggy stat wise and he's a better player this season then both.

Old
04-02-2013, 12:34 PM
Esa 10

Roy would've been an utter disaster in NY. He's atrocious defensively on top of being supersoft and now he's feuding with coaches? This year's Richards + Roy down the middle = starting every game down a goal. He would've gotten the Wolski treatment.

As far as the Jagr trade goes: Gooooo Bruins!!!!!!!!

Old
04-02-2013, 12:36 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
At least that one made some sort of sense; it was for Pavel Bure.
You mean 'Ranger' sense. He was on the downside of his great injury riddled career. Speed was his bread and butter, its also the first thing to go when you hit that wall.

Old
04-02-2013, 12:37 PM
16 To Stanley*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
You mean 'Ranger' sense. He was on the downside of his great injury riddled career. Speed was his bread and butter, its also the first thing to go when you hit that wall.
he could still play

Old
04-02-2013, 12:38 PM
Esa 10

Quote:
I term natural (insert position) bothers me. I picture scouts going up to newborns saying "oh look, at that cure little right-defenseman!". Despite not being born a RW, Seguin is certainly a right winger for them now.

Iginla has played RW his whole career but they put him on LW and nothing exploded.
Nash has played LW his whole career. Looks great on RW. Gaborik looks like total crap on the left. Is it the cart or the horse?

Old
04-02-2013, 12:39 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
Eh, that was probably the one big Sather move that didn't really bother me. They basically gave up a 1st, a 4th, and a bunch of crap for Bure, and Bure was still awesome. That was a dirty knee on knee hit by Curtis Brown that ended his career. No doubt he was injury prone, but that was one risk I wasn't too pissed off with. He wasn't that old, and he was still a hell of a player. I saw plenty of great speed in his short time as a Ranger. He was phenomenal. You can say that if it wasn't that Brown hit, it would have been something else, that it was only a matter of time, and maybe that is true. But I will say that if he stays relatively healthy, the Rangers' fortunes improve dramatically going forward. Maybe the 04 purge doesn't even happen.

Old
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:

It's something you have to consider with wingers and defensemen, especially with older ones. Nowadays you're seeing more kids who are comfortable on either side, but not every player can do it. Seguin is a case of a center moving to wing, but they've also let him settle on the side where he was most comfortable. We're seeing issues with Gaborik as well as Del Zotto. Neither looks terribly comfortable on the opposite side, and therefore their effectiveness is weakened.

He lined up there, but he spent most of his shifts playing to his natural tendencies on the right side. Neal does the same thing. He's effective as a shooter coming down his off-wing, but he drifts to the left quite a bit.

A player who isn't comfortable is not an effective player. Jagr relies so heavily on being able to protect the puck with his body that I can't see him having as much success on the opposite wing.

Old
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16 To Stanley View Post
he could still play
Yes, he could still play......51 games as an NYR.

Closed Thread