HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Player discussion: Tim Thomas

Old
04-02-2013, 01:46 PM
TheRightWay

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JagerPuck View Post
Hasek in Detroit worked out pretty well.
Hasek is pretty much the worst person to be used as an example or comparable for anything. The dude was a ****ing freak of nature and we will probably never see anything like him for a long time.

TheRightWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 01:48 PM
WeekendAtBernies

I could think of several worse goaltending options than a 39 year old 2x Vezina + Conn Smythe + Stanley Cup winning goalie. One of those worse options would be standing pat, because Ilya Bryzgalov is terrible.

Thomas also plays the exact kind of style in goal that this team needs. I'd have absolutely no problem signing Thomas for cheap, flipping picks or prospects (or a rental prior to the deadline) to Ottawa for Bishop and then having the two of them split time.

WeekendAtBernies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 01:54 PM
WeekendAtBernies

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRightWay View Post
Hasek is pretty much the worst person to be used as an example or comparable for anything. The dude was a ****ing freak of nature and we will probably never see anything like him for a long time.
Tim Thomas is a freak of nature in his own right. Very few goalies have been as good in their "post prime" years as Thomas. He didn't have anywhere close to as good a prime as Hasek did, but from age 34-38, Thomas just might have been the better goalie. There's no reason to think that after playing great @ age 38, Thomas couldn't come back @ age 39/40 and do the same. I'd want to have a backup plan in the form of a young goalie just in case, but I'd feel confident in Thomas. Especially after seeing what we've had to put up with these last 2 years

WeekendAtBernies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 01:57 PM
Giroux It

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeekendAtBernies View Post
Tim Thomas is a freak of nature in his own right. Very few goalies have been as good in their "post prime" years as Thomas. He didn't have anywhere close to as good a prime as Hasek did, but from age 34-38, Thomas just might have been the better goalie. There's no reason to think that after playing great @ age 38, Thomas couldn't come back @ age 39/40 and do the same. I'd want to have a backup plan in the form of a young goalie just in case, but I'd feel confident in Thomas. Especially after seeing what we've had to put up with these last 2 years
Only requirement is he shaves his pedophile stash

Giroux It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 02:31 PM
Flyotes
Sorry Hinkie.

Nothing wrong with kicking the tires on it. See where he is at and what his interest is.

Flyotes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 02:35 PM
TheRightWay

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeekendAtBernies View Post
I don't doubt that Thomas would be capable. I don't think you guys could really do too much worse. I just think it's ridiculous to compare him to Hasek. He's a once-in-a-lifetime player.

TheRightWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 03:15 PM
deftones1986

I'm just glad this is being discussed since if he does come back next year, you know there will be buzz as to where he signs. And he'd def want a starting job with I'f imagine a 3 or more million price tag, so buying out Bryz would need to be done for this to even be an option in my eyes.

deftones1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 10:31 PM
onlylordsvsmorebp
#gudassnipe

thomas/bishop

i agree with weekendatbernies gimme thomas/bishop-i also agree hasek was an amazingly talented freak but during thomas' stanley cup run i think that was about as good as goaltending gets and i think he played really well in last years playoffs-he reminds me of billy smith -that ****kicking style of play and being able to raise his level in big games

onlylordsvsmorebp is offline   Reply With Quote