HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Time for a look back...

Old
08-16-2006, 09:50 PM
didouche
CHANGE is coming!!!!

vCash: 500
Time for a look back...

At the 2002 NHL draft

The Canadiens drafted

Chris Higgins
Tomas Linhart
Michael Lambert
Andre Deveaux
Jonathan Ferland
Konstantin Korneyev

beyond Higgins the other draft picks look like busts right now... To me it looks like a pretty bad draft compared to 2001

Mike Komisarek
Alexander Perezhogin
Duncan Milroy
Tomas Plekanec
Martti Jarventie
Eric Himelfarb
Andrew Archer
Viktor Ujcik

what do u guys think?

didouche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2006, 09:52 PM
GoneAway

vCash:
Well you can't expect every pick from every draft to become nhl roster players, can you?

Old
08-16-2006, 09:54 PM
didouche
CHANGE is coming!!!!

of course not but we can talk about it right?

Old
08-16-2006, 10:00 PM
Poochie_D

2001 looks really good.

Poochie_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2006, 10:00 PM
kariya24

I think we should give Linhart a shot at it.

kariya24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2006, 10:05 PM
didouche
CHANGE is coming!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kariya24 View Post
I think we should give Linhart a shot at it.
http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p...php3?pid=64526

he's gone

Old
08-16-2006, 10:26 PM
kariya24

Does 32 year old Andrei Kruchinin really count as a prospect???

Old
08-16-2006, 10:28 PM
kariya24

2004 and 05 look pretty good too....

Old
08-16-2006, 10:39 PM
Phil Parent
Is Watching The D

vCash: 50
Quote:
If you look at the Habs Official Roster, you'll see that they somehow opted to maintain their rights to two OLD European draftees, Kruchinin and Andrei Sidyakin.

If you look at player value on an international level, Sidyakin was not a bad pick in 8th round. He was the best scorer on his team (Ufa, the city, not the status) for the second year in a row last season.

I'm surprised they gave up on some guys though, like Ilkka Mikola, Alexander Buturlin & Kim Staal.

Phil Parent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2006, 11:35 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
He recently turned 28, the Habs have the wrong date on their site, he's born in '78 according to the russian site metallurg.ru He was paired up with Emelin at times this year, had a career year, also played for Team Russia at the WC's this year, I beleive it's the first time he's played in the WC's.

On a side not Sidyakin had a career year also, and I beleive he was consider for the WC's, after all he was one of the top goal scorers in the RSL this year.

Quote:
If you look at the Habs Official Roster, you'll see that they somehow opted to maintain their rights to two OLD European draftees, Kruchinin and Andrei Sidyakin.
I'm surprised they gave up on some guys though, like Ilkka Mikola, Alexander Buturlin & Kim Staal
We would have lost the rights to Kruchinin, Sidyakin and Korneev in June, but since Russia didn't sign the PTA, Bettman extended the date to sign drafted unsigned Russian prospects for another year. Although I can't see them coming over, but we hold their rights. Korneev just picked up an assist in a preseason game at a tournament in Finland for CSKA.

Mikkola I heard several times he was going to be at camp, same with Staal but it never happened. I would have liked to see Staal come a couple years back, he has some sandpaper to his game. Buturlin they didn't give up on per say, Andre Savard tried to sign him but I recall hearing that Burtulin wasn't happy with the money offered but that's going off memory from over 5 years ago. Either way he turned down the offer and was never heard from again. No clue if the Habs ever contacted him again, maybe he never wanted to come back or perhaps the Habs were not happy he refused the offer. He struggled when he first returned to Russia from the OHL but since then he seems to have done well, even playing a little for the National team. I'm a little surprised that it hasn't come up in the media (although I guess I don't pay much attention the media so perhaps they do bring it up) it's just that he was our 1st pick in what turned out to be a brutal draft for us.

Quote:
beyond Higgins the other draft picks look like busts right now... To me it looks like a pretty bad draft compared to 2001
Going into the 2002 draft it was considered to be a weak draft. Getting Higgins was great, I consider it a success when you can get such a solid player out of 6 picks. Ferland has seen some NHL time and could possibly see more. If not I expect him to have a big year in Hamilton. Lambert I don't have much hope for the Habs but I do think he could be a solid AHLer, as he's got a heck of a shot and can put the puck in the net. The problem is the rest of his game. Korneev I don't expect to ever see over here but it was a good gamble at 275th.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2006, 07:30 AM
Phil Parent
Is Watching The D

vCash: 50
Jonathan Ferland wasn't a bad pick in 2002. Hey, a 7th rounder that ever plays in the NHL is no bust, ever.

Phil Parent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2006, 07:39 AM
Darz

Quote:
Originally Posted by didouche View Post
Overall the 2002 draft was pretty weak when comparing it to the '01 or especially the '03 draft.

Compare it to '99 or '96 and it doesn't look that bad mind you.

08-17-2006, 08:16 AM
Habruti!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Parent View Post
Jonathan Ferland wasn't a bad pick in 2002. Hey, a 7th rounder that ever plays in the NHL is no bust, ever.
I would tend to agree... Ferland certainly not qualifies as a bust. As a matter of fact I think he could certainly challenge Murray this year...

Habruti! is offline   Reply With Quote