HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

All Things NYC (Tourist Stuff, Events)

Closed Thread

Old
08-10-2006, 07:17 PM
Fletch

vCash: 500
Tomorrow...

and the weekend should be great though. I love it when it gets dark and the thunder and downpours come because I'm typically still in the office, sitting by the window watching the people scurry in the street.

Old
08-10-2006, 07:18 PM
Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Guru View Post
Haha. It's funny, but true.

I guess I fit into that mold. Oh well, can't please everybody.

"I'm from Long Island. I curse alot and I say "yo" and say it often. I know what real pizza tastes like and I know that a bagel is more then a roll with a hole in the middle. Oh yea, it's a friggin hero, not a hoagie or a grinder, and I wash it all down with soda, not pop or cola. 4 am is an early night out and all good nights must end at a diner. A beer can be known as a cold one and we can get it at all hours. I don't go down to the shore, its called the beach. I know that 55mph really means 90. When someone cuts me off they get the horn and the finger and they expect it.I can hold my own in a fight & Im not afraid to curse at anyone. I'm from Long Island WhAT!"

Yeah I think the last pic I saw of you had the whole baggy clothes, gelled hair, necklace routine.

There was no doubt you were an Island boy.....

Old
08-14-2006, 10:45 PM
Blades of Glory
Troll Captain

So let me say that I love your city. I've been here for a week on pleasure/work with my GF, and it has been amazing. I've been to NY so many times, and it never fails to entertain me. The experience of taking the subway to Yankee Stadium for the first time was great. So was the food. We ate at a Brazilian restaurant tonight, Churascaria Plataforma or something like that. That was the best steak I've ever had.

Being an investment banker, there's a very large chance I could move to NY (Wall Street) in the near future. Good stuff.

Old
08-16-2006, 10:36 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Wilson View Post
So let me say that I love your city. I've been here for a week on pleasure/work with my GF, and it has been amazing. I've been to NY so many times, and it never fails to entertain me. The experience of taking the subway to Yankee Stadium for the first time was great. So was the food. We ate at a Brazilian restaurant tonight, Churascaria Plataforma or something like that. That was the best steak I've ever had.

Being an investment banker, there's a very large chance I could move to NY (Wall Street) in the near future. Good stuff.
Does Wall Street even work on Wall Street these days?

Old
08-16-2006, 12:05 PM
Fletch

Doug...

I'm a banker too, and live in Brookyln while working on 51st street. So bankers are all over the place. There are still some firms down on/near Wall Street (I believe even Goldman isn't on Wall Street (I think they're Hanover Square) and Cowen's on Financial Square, CSFB's around 25th or 26th street, DLJ was on 45th street, Keefe's on 50th st, Bear Stearns is on 45-ish stree, and there are many others in midtown these days).

Old
08-16-2006, 12:24 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
I'm a banker too, and live in Brookyln while working on 51st street. So bankers are all over the place. There are still some firms down on/near Wall Street (I believe even Goldman isn't on Wall Street (I think they're Hanover Square) and Cowen's on Financial Square, CSFB's around 25th or 26th street, DLJ was on 45th street, Keefe's on 50th st, Bear Stearns is on 45-ish stree, and there are many others in midtown these days).
Alot of downtown has migraded to Jersey City/Northern Jersey area as well.

Old
08-16-2006, 03:21 PM
BigCanada77
NYR in the Midwest

Send a message via AIM to BigCanada77
I live in Orange County, NY and work in Tarrytown, in Westchester - so I dont get to go to the city that often. But today I was in Queens and the Bronx on sales calls, and was reminded why NYC is so awesome. I had a gyro at Opa Souvlaki in Astoria. Awesome haha.

Old
08-16-2006, 03:26 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
Alot of downtown has migraded to Jersey City/Northern Jersey area as well.
And to Brooklyn. Also Long Island City (Citibank).

Old
08-16-2006, 03:42 PM
Fletch

I think what you have in Brooklyn and LIC...

are back-offices mostly. I know Bear Stearns' back office was in Metro Tech (it may be in Jersey now) and Citi's so big, I can't even tell you what's in LIC (although I know they have offices at the BKLYN Army Terminal). It's all over the place. It's almost better to be a banker outide NY because the fee income is the same no matter where you are - often it may be more difficult getting business outside major metro areas.

Old
08-16-2006, 03:49 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
are back-offices mostly. I know Bear Stearns' back office was in Metro Tech (it may be in Jersey now) and Citi's so big, I can't even tell you what's in LIC (although I know they have offices at the BKLYN Army Terminal). It's all over the place. It's almost better to be a banker outide NY because the fee income is the same no matter where you are - often it may be more difficult getting business outside major metro areas.
It's true about the back office bit (and Metrotech has a lot of City agencies as well), but as Bank of New York discovered nearly 5 years ago, it pays to have your back offices separate--even if it's only 3-4 miles--from your main office. Didn't realize Citibank had moved into Brooklyn too--do they run a water taxi from the East Side over there?

Old
08-16-2006, 11:49 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Along the same lines, I think that JP Morgan Chase has like an entire building of back office in Metrotech. (And Citi definitely has a bizarre 40 story tower standing by itself in Queens.)

Interesting tonight - I was out near Union Square with friends and had a whole crew asked for a tour of Brooklyn. Especially because one girl was thinking about moving there. Shocking. Never would have heard such a comment as recently as 5 years ago.

Now I need to figure out how to show them the Slope, Prospect Heights, Carroll Gardens, Boerum Hill, Cobble Hill, Brooklyn Heights and then wind up at Peter Luger's in one day.

P.S. Despite the recent changes, and admitting that I've been out of the I-banking game since 2002 - based on what I hear, it's still awful hard to get any client to meet you anywhere other than Manhattan, despite the fact that all of the major airports are well outside the "City".

Old
08-17-2006, 10:30 PM
BobMarleyNYR

Send a message via AIM to BobMarleyNYR
History museum on 5th by Central Parek... and make sure you get down to the lovely lower east side, AKA Alphabet City.

Old
08-18-2006, 10:06 PM
nrf83

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
Along the same lines, I think that JP Morgan Chase has like an entire building of back office in Metrotech. (And Citi definitely has a bizarre 40 story tower standing by itself in Queens.)

Interesting tonight - I was out near Union Square with friends and had a whole crew asked for a tour of Brooklyn. Especially because one girl was thinking about moving there. Shocking. Never would have heard such a comment as recently as 5 years ago.

Now I need to figure out how to show them the Slope, Prospect Heights, Carroll Gardens, Boerum Hill, Cobble Hill, Brooklyn Heights and then wind up at Peter Luger's in one day.

P.S. Despite the recent changes, and admitting that I've been out of the I-banking game since 2002 - based on what I hear, it's still awful hard to get any client to meet you anywhere other than Manhattan, despite the fact that all of the major airports are well outside the "City".
Just remember if you go to Peter Lugers they do not take credit cards, cash only or PL credit card.

Old
08-19-2006, 09:27 AM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobMarleyNYR View Post
History museum on 5th by Central Parek... and make sure you get down to the lovely lower east side, AKA Alphabet City.
Actually, the Lower East Side is a separate neighborhood, directly south of Alphabet City. They're divided by Houston Street. Just an FYI.

Old
08-19-2006, 09:28 AM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrf83 View Post
Just remember if you go to Peter Lugers they do not take credit cards, cash only or PL credit card.
True, but I believe they FINALLY have a cash machine next door, don't they?

Old
08-22-2006, 05:34 PM
patnyrnyg

Quote:
Originally Posted by patnyrnyg View Post
A GREAT restaurant, is on 49th between 8th and 9th called Churrascurria Platorforma. It is a brazilian steak house, you pay one price, for all you can eat meat. They have a huge variety and the food is damn good. Figure with drinks it will run you 75-100 person, depending on how much you drink.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Wilson View Post
So was the food. We ate at a Brazilian restaurant tonight, Churascaria Plataforma or something like that. That was the best steak I've ever had.
I am the type to say, "I TOLD YOU SO!!!!!!!"

Old
08-25-2006, 01:10 PM
Brad Richards

can anyone suggest some good record stores? i'm mostly into indie stuff.

Old
08-29-2006, 08:56 PM
gr8haluschak

Hey guys I am from Edmonton and heading down to New York for a trip. I got a ticket for the Oct 1 Yankee vs Jays game at 1 pm, I was wondering what time does Yankee stadium open up and as well how long would the subway take to get to there from Times Sqaure.

Thanks

Old
08-29-2006, 09:22 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8haluschak View Post
Hey guys I am from Edmonton and heading down to New York for a trip. I got a ticket for the Oct 1 Yankee vs Jays game at 1 pm, I was wondering what time does Yankee stadium open up and as well how long would the subway take to get to there from Times Sqaure.

Thanks
Generally it takes about 25-30 minutes, but leave yourself 45 just in case. Not sure what time the stadium officially opens, but it's at least an hour before game time.

Old
08-30-2006, 11:04 AM
nrf83

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8haluschak View Post

Thanks
It opens 2 hours b/4 game time. about a 25 minute subway ride; from times sq take the B or D to 161st st(well marked) or take shuttle from times square over to Grand Central Station(3 minute ride)and take 4 train to 161st st Yankee Stadium.

Old
08-31-2006, 10:17 AM
faneuil

Hey!

Glad I found this thread...

I'm coming to NYC for my first time ever the weekend before Christmas.

May sound like a silly question, but are things like the Empire State building Observatory open that time of year?

Any Christmas time suggestions that can't be missed?

Skating at Rockefeller Center's already on the list.

Old
08-31-2006, 01:59 PM
Thordic
StraightOuttaConklin

vCash: 822
Quote:
Originally Posted by laika View Post
I used to like to go to Bleecker Street Records for vinyls back in high school. Havn't been there in years but I know its still there.

I'm 26 so high school wasn't that long ego

Old
08-31-2006, 02:06 PM
Synergy27

Quote:
Originally Posted by laika View Post

Just go to St. Mark's Place and wander around for a little while. You'll find something you like.

Old
08-31-2006, 05:40 PM
patnyrnyg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thordic View Post
I used to like to go to Bleecker Street Records for vinyls back in high school. Havn't been there in years but I know its still there.

I'm 26 so high school wasn't that long ego
Wow, now this brings back a memory. Christmas vacation, 1992. I was in 11th grade. A bunch of us went into the city to get fake ID's. Went to 42nd street (this was long before the renovation of times square). Our friend's older sister who was a freshman in college came with us, after the id's, we got on a train, headed down to the village. She dragged us all over the place looking for Bleeker St Records or Bleeker Bob's or both, I don't remember. Finally, after about 2-3 hours we find the place. What did she buy? A F--KING NINE INCH NAILS CD SHE COULD HAVE BOUGHT AT TOWER RECORDS. I resisted the urge to kick her in the teeth.

Old
09-04-2006, 01:32 PM
MidnightRanger

Send a message via AIM to MidnightRanger
Quote:
Originally Posted by faneuil View Post
Hey!

Glad I found this thread...

I'm coming to NYC for my first time ever the weekend before Christmas.

May sound like a silly question, but are things like the Empire State building Observatory open that time of year?

Any Christmas time suggestions that can't be missed?

Skating at Rockefeller Center's already on the list.

Go to Radio City Musical hall for their Christmas show. In fact that whole area in Rockefeller center is so Christmassy. And the Empire State Building is open every day. However, you don't want to go unless its sunny or a clear night because you won't see a damn thing if its cloudy or rainy.

I have been walking through NYC since I started working by Wall Street almost every day after work since the spring and take a different avenue north to 42nd st. New York is nice man, there is everything. Although after a while it doesnt seem so big. And by experience I've found that all the absolutely gorgeous women of this city are concentrated in SOHO between Spring and Houston on Broadway on Saturday afternoons. It's magnificent.

Closed Thread