HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Fort Never Win: Why are we so bad at home?

Old
03-25-2013, 01:51 AM
Bert Marshall days

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IceAce View Post
seriously can they like find asbestos or something before our next home game and void the lease?
Maybe.

Nassau Coliseum workers filing notices of asbestos lawsuits

Published: March 24, 2013 10:28 PM
By ROBERT BRODSKY

"More than 100 current and former Nassau Coliseum employees have begun the process of filing lawsuits alleging that long-term exposure to asbestos at the county-owned arena made them seriously ill, according to court documents.

The plaintiffs, including a widow of a heating and air conditioning technician who filed a wrongful death action, will seek $500 million to $1 billion from 21 defendants including Nassau County, the New York Islanders and facility manager SMG"

http://www.newsday.com/long-island/n...uits-1.4894415

Bert Marshall days is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 06:34 AM
Bert Marshall days

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJF View Post
Read the article. Wang is reaping from the fans what he sowed.
More like team is sleeping as "fans" haven't showed.

Old
03-25-2013, 08:18 AM
MJF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert Marshall days View Post
More like team is sleeping as "fans" haven't showed.
Can you blame them for not showing? There hasn't been much to show up for in the last few years.

MJF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 09:41 AM
Bert Marshall days

Quote:
Can you blame them for not showing? There hasn't been much to show up for in the last few years.
Yes. 5-1-2 and 2 points out of playoffs isn't much to show up for? They didn't show up consistently soon after cups stopped being won either. Fans are partly why they lost their team to Brooklyn and suck at home.

Old
03-25-2013, 09:52 AM
IceAce
HEY BUD, LETS PARTY!

vCash: 178
Quote:
Maybe.

Nassau Coliseum workers filing notices of asbestos lawsuits

Published: March 24, 2013 10:28 PM
By ROBERT BRODSKY

"More than 100 current and former Nassau Coliseum employees have begun the process of filing lawsuits alleging that long-term exposure to asbestos at the county-owned arena made them seriously ill, according to court documents.

The plaintiffs, including a widow of a heating and air conditioning technician who filed a wrongful death action, will seek $500 million to $1 billion from 21 defendants including Nassau County, the New York Islanders and facility manager SMG"

http://www.newsday.com/long-island/n...uits-1.4894415
Wow. I feel almost prophetic. Keep an eye on this. Even though this case is some ex workers suing the Coliseum (and the Islanders), if they find enough evidence of unsafe conditions for this case, expect the team to try and use that to cite that the arena is unsuitable and void the remaining 2 years of the lease.

IceAce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 10:05 AM
MJF

Quote:
Yes. 5-1-2 and 2 points out of playoffs isn't much to show up for? They didn't show up consistently soon after cups stopped being won either. Fans are partly why they lost their team to Brooklyn and suck at home.
They've been close before only to fall short, and they've been eliminated by Christmas. Its the cumulative effect. Charles Wang has written the textbook "The Idiot's Guide To Destroying The Fan Base Of A Once Proud Franchise".

How many games have you been to this year? Or are you just waiting for them to move to Brooklyn?

Old
03-25-2013, 02:49 PM
Bert Marshall days

Quote:
They've been close before only to fall short, and they've been eliminated by Christmas. Its the cumulative effect. Charles Wang has written the textbook "The Idiot's Guide To Destroying The Fan Base Of A Once Proud Franchise".

How many games have you been to this year? Or are you just waiting for them to move to Brooklyn?
Excuses. Attendance sucked long before Wang. Now LIers will reap what they sowed by losing their team.

Been to a few this season. My way of thanking Wang for keeping them local. I'll have season tix in Brooklyn.

Old
03-25-2013, 02:51 PM
Bert Marshall days

Quote:
Wow. I feel almost prophetic. Keep an eye on this. Even though this case is some ex workers suing the Coliseum (and the Islanders), if they find enough evidence of unsafe conditions for this case, expect the team to try and use that to cite that the arena is unsuitable and void the remaining 2 years of the lease.
Too bad you didn't win Powerball. YOU could've bought NYI.

Old
03-25-2013, 03:10 PM
MJF

Quote:
Excuses. Attendance sucked long before Wang. Now LIers will reap what they sowed by losing their team.

Been to a few this season. My way of thanking Wang for keeping them local. I'll have season tix in Brooklyn.
How is this excuses? Put a lousy product on the ice long enough and don't expect fans to buy tickets. Wang has owned the team for 13 years, longer than anyone except John Pickett. What has he done to improve the product?

Old
03-25-2013, 03:14 PM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
How is this excuses? Put a lousy product on the ice long enough and don't expect fans to buy tickets. Wang has owned the team for 13 years, longer than anyone except John Pickett. What has he done to improve the product?
No one showed for the late '90's, the years after Nolan.....it's like fans want a winning team before they spend good money? They're the worst fans!

"Sorry, I can't send you to college this year....we got Tomas Pock this season and I don't wanna miss it."

OlTimeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 03:47 PM
MJF

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlTimeHockey View Post
No one showed for the late '90's, the years after Nolan.....it's like fans want a winning team before they spend good money? They're the worst fans!

"Sorry, I can't send you to college this year....we got Tomas Pock this season and I don't wanna miss it."
Yep. Blame the consumer because JCPenny is in trouble.

How can anyone blame the fans of any team for not buying tickets to see a consistently lousy product?

Old
03-25-2013, 04:02 PM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:

How can anyone blame the fans of any team for not buying tickets to see a consistently lousy product?
The argument I guess is fans don't pack the house....must be the building. Add caveats and people get angry. They have flawed arguments and get angry. How about six minute abs? SEVEN! SEVEN IS THE KEY!

Sorry, but can anyone answer why they wouldn't spend good money on this roster if they played in Brooklyn? I can. Same reasons I won't spend in NVMC when I'm in NY. I don't support the operation that refuses to support my needs.

Why would you pay a landscaper that continually ruins your yard? Blame the lawnmower and edger for being old if you like.

Old
03-26-2013, 02:08 AM
Bert Marshall days

Quote:
If you have to ask you'll never know. The 3 seasons NYI made the playoffs under Wang attendance was second worst in the league. Guess that was a lousy product too huh? Tell us how Wang can improve the product with consistently the league's lowest revenue.

(You ignored how lame fans pre-date Wang after success. Rationalize it all you want, the numbers and results don't lie)

Last edited by Bert Marshall days: 03-26-2013 at 03:19 AM.
Old
03-26-2013, 02:17 AM
leaponover

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlTimeHockey View Post
The argument I guess is fans don't pack the house....must be the building. Add caveats and people get angry. They have flawed arguments and get angry. How about six minute abs? SEVEN! SEVEN IS THE KEY!

Sorry, but can anyone answer why they wouldn't spend good money on this roster if they played in Brooklyn? I can. Same reasons I won't spend in NVMC when I'm in NY. I don't support the operation that refuses to support my needs.

Why would you pay a landscaper that continually ruins your yard? Blame the lawnmower and edger for being old if you like.
Except the main flaw in this is it isn't "your yard". It never has been and barring powerball never will. He's messing up his own yard. You need to accurately portray these analogies if you want to use them.

leaponover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 02:25 AM
Bert Marshall days

Quote:
Originally Posted by leaponover View Post
Except the main flaw in this is it isn't "your yard". It never has been and barring powerball never will. He's messing up his own yard. You need to accurately portray these analogies if you want to use them.
Yep. No money to fix up the yard. Seems that lack of support caused them to move to a new yard.

Great job.

Old
03-26-2013, 02:41 AM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by leaponover View Post
uh, no.

you completely and totally lost on the analogy. Completely. YOU own the lawn (your entertainment dollars}....YOU are the consumer{the guy buying or not buying tickets}. YOU spend the money{which he takes if you buy tickets}. You continue to pay Wang Lawncare to ruin your lawn, correct?

Just answer....something cute. What about the analogy you totally twisted?

lighten up, Francis.

Old
03-26-2013, 02:56 AM
Bert Marshall days

Quote:

Because they don't buy when the product isn't consistently lousy either. Or on weeknights. Or against teams not named NYR. Or a million other excuses.

JC Penny doesn't lose money from the consumer when they have a good product. NYI does good product or bad so why bother?

Old
03-26-2013, 05:00 PM
MJF

Quote:
If you have to ask you'll never know. The 3 seasons NYI made the playoffs under Wang attendance was second worst in the league. Guess that was a lousy product too huh? Tell us how Wang can improve the product with consistently the league's lowest revenue.

(You ignored how lame fans pre-date Wang after success. Rationalize it all you want, the numbers and results don't lie)
3 years of a first round exit. Not lousy, just mediocre, which I would sign up for right now in a heartbeat. And after their first playoff appearance during Wang's tenure there was an uptick in attendance the following season. Second year of "success" had another first round exit and the attendance dropped the following season.

It would take a few successful years, where fans saw improvement each year, to get people to buy tickets to see this team.

And you're right. Wang isn't going to infuse capital into a team that generates no revenue. He just throws in the towel. Which is what he did after the Isles couldn't re-sign Ryan Smyth. He stopped trying to compete.

Old
03-26-2013, 05:02 PM
MJF

Quote:
Because they don't buy when the product isn't consistently lousy either. Or on weeknights. Or against teams not named NYR. Or a million other excuses.

JC Penny doesn't lose money from the consumer when they have a good product. NYI does good product or bad so why bother?
That's the problem in a nutshell. Wang threw in the towel here 5 years ago.

And I'm not giving him a pass on that. Why would anyone?

Last edited by MJF: 03-26-2013 at 05:19 PM.
Old
04-02-2013, 02:55 PM
IceAce
HEY BUD, LETS PARTY!

vCash: 178
Cross your fingers for tonight.....

IceAce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 03:20 PM
doublechili

Quote:
Cross your fingers for tonight.....
Isles have the 5th best road record in the NHL, behind only Pitts, Mon, Chi and Ana.

The home record is killing them. I still think it's b/c Cappy gets to coach more at home.

doublechili is offline   Reply With Quote