HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Bouwmeester for Cundari, Berra, protected 1st

Closed Thread

Old
04-02-2013, 04:45 AM
rumrokh
Jake the Snake Man

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by frostyflo View Post
Anyone else who lold about that Flames fan who told us weekly about a "hefty return" and a "rising stock"?!

Now who of Cundari and Berra is the stud roster player and which one is the blue-chip prospect?

Don't wanna troll Flames fans but this guy is hilarious
Eh. That's how rumors and reports work, especially with Canadian fans and media. You keep on hearing things until you hear something you really like and that becomes the new gospel, no matter what reason or the preponderance of reports suggest.

The reality is that prices go up for rentals as the deadline approaches, but for a guy who is under contract, if teams were really willing to give up a lot, they would have done it already. Bouwmeester's trade value may have actually dropped after they became sellers-with-a-capital-S and dealt Iginla.

Old
04-02-2013, 04:54 AM
Steve Doan
RIP Oscar

Anyone want to speculate as to what this means for Pietro's and Shatty's upcoming contracts? Other than pray for a deep playoff run and all the extra revenue.

Old
04-02-2013, 05:11 AM
rumrokh
Jake the Snake Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve French View Post
Anyone want to speculate as to what this means for Pietro's and Shatty's upcoming contracts? Other than pray for a deep playoff run and all the extra revenue.
I don't think it does much. You can't say "you pay Bouwmeester X amount, so pay me Y amount" when they acquired a guy who has one year left on a big UFA contract to help your ass. Pietro and Shatty will get contracts that are pretty appropriate to their accomplishments and current and future value.

Old
04-02-2013, 08:26 AM
jmwc95

On defense, I think this means Polak may get moved next year. If the Blues are looking to shed payroll, he would be the guy on D. He's the third pairing RD, he would have some value in a package, and his replacement is currently playing in Peoria (Hakanpaa).

We also will likely trade one of Steen/Oshie/Perron or Berglund if an upgrade at center is coming back. One of Rattie or Jaskin will be on the 3rd line as well as Lehtera.

That is how we afford our RFAs this offseason.

Old
04-02-2013, 08:43 AM
Corn Baller

I was scrolling through Twitter last night and one thing that became pretty apparent is how much Andy Strickland struggles to keep up. He was either behind the trend of information or was making statements that had already been established as inaccurate.

I know he hustles and it's a competitive world out there, but man.

Old
04-02-2013, 09:23 AM
Alklha

vCash: 868
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmwc95 View Post
On defense, I think this means Polak may get moved next year. If the Blues are looking to shed payroll, he would be the guy on D. He's the third pairing RD, he would have some value in a package, and his replacement is currently playing in Peoria (Hakanpaa).

We also will likely trade one of Steen/Oshie/Perron or Berglund if an upgrade at center is coming back. One of Rattie or Jaskin will be on the 3rd line as well as Lehtera.

We don't know what the budget is going to be. It would be a massive mistake for us to give Pietrangelo or Shattenkirk a bridge contract in the coming months though, they need to be given full 8 year contracts and we work from there. That can't be stressed enough.

I agree about Polák. $3.1m for a third pairing D-man is likely going to be too much. He plays an important role just now, but Bouwmeester should now be able to eat those tough minutes he takes. I wouldn't be totally shocked to see Russell-Cole next season saves $1.5m+ in salary. I don't see Hakanpää as being viewed as NHL ready.

Old
04-02-2013, 09:51 AM
bleedblue1223
Fire Army

vCash: 130
Apparently Detroit didn't want to move their 1st and that's why we were able to land him. Even though this draft looks good, with the amount of prospects we have at every position except center, we should be fine.

Old
04-02-2013, 10:22 AM
zachws6

Newb question, but is his salary for this 2013 season taken care of by Calgary?

Old
04-02-2013, 10:23 AM
Thallis
DO I LOOK ANGRY

vCash: 499
Send a message via MSN to Thallis
Quote:

I doubt it. Polak is one of our few physical defensemen, and Hakanpaa will probably not be ready to step in immediately. We've done a bit of a reversal, our right side depth is now worse off than our left side (although it's about exactly where you want it to be). Our RHD is just about perfect. I think Army's reactions during the game show that after the JBo trade, he felt the team's makeup was at a point where it was exactly what he wanted, and Halak's injury threw a wrench in that.

Old
04-02-2013, 10:27 AM
JustOneB4IDie
Everyone Overpayment

JayBo? ****INK JayBo?

C'Mon Man, he is a overpaid, (6.6 million arrrggghhhh ) non-physical Defender who has never come close to being on a playoff squad?

And what does "Protected" 1st round pick mean? It's a Conditional pick meaning "No Blue Playoffs in 2013" the pick flips to a 2014 1st rounder instead. This is not the NBA!

On the positives, Armstrong fleeces Feaster in this deal, unless that 1st rounder turns into a All-Star in a deep 2013 draft being compared to 2003. The Prospects flipped were never going to play here. JayBo eats minutes, no health concerns, great size 6"4 Use it!

I'll apologize to all if JayBo plays great here, and will root for him to suceed.

Now attention turns to almost certain deals since the D is shored up, Russell or Polak ( I hope not ) gets moved. and to shore up a Terrible Center situation McDonald and Berglund gets moved for a top 2 Center with new deals for Stewie Pie, and Shatty still on the horizon. Blues are stuck with Halak , Injured again. Unbelievable, Halak's worse then Cola on the IR these days, and that's a fact.

Last edited by JustOneB4IDie: 04-02-2013 at 10:34 AM.
Old
04-02-2013, 10:29 AM
EastonBlues22
Mod Supervisor
Team ϶(°o°)ϵ

Quote:
Originally Posted by zachws6 View Post
Newb question, but is his salary for this 2013 season taken care of by Calgary?
The Blues will only be responsible for his salary moving forward. The salary he's to be paid for playing for Calgary will be taken care of by Calgary.

Old
04-02-2013, 10:32 AM
jmwc95

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alklha View Post
We don't know what the budget is going to be. It would be a massive mistake for us to give Pietrangelo or Shattenkirk a bridge contract in the coming months though, they need to be given full 8 year contracts and we work from there. That can't be stressed enough.

I agree about Polák. $3.1m for a third pairing D-man is likely going to be too much. He plays an important role just now, but Bouwmeester should now be able to eat those tough minutes he takes. I wouldn't be totally shocked to see Russell-Cole next season saves $1.5m+ in salary. I don't see Hakanpää as being viewed as NHL ready.
You are probably right. If they don't think Hakanpaa is ready, they can sign an old, cheap plug-in vet to play the bottom pairing to bridge the gap. I do think, however, that Hakanpaa is Polak's eventual replacement for the bottom pairing RD.

Old
04-02-2013, 10:37 AM
jmwc95

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedinBlueSince1972 View Post
And what does "Protected" 1st round pick mean? It's a Conditional pick meaning "No Blue Playoffs in 2013" the pick flips to a 2014 1st rounder instead. This is not the NBA!
Check the new CBA. Missing the playoffs = lottery chance at picking 1st overall.

Old
04-02-2013, 10:37 AM
nicholas89alex

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedinBlueSince1972 View Post
JayBo? ****INK JayBo?

C'Mon Man, he is a overpaid, (6.6 million arrrggghhhh ) non-physical Defender who has never come close to being on a playoff squad?

On the positives, Armstrong fleeces Feaster in this deal, unless that 1st rounder turns into a All-Star in a deep 2013 draft being compared to 2003. The Prospects flipped were never going to play here. JayBo eats minutes, no health concerns, great size 6"4 Use it!

I'll apologize to all if JayBo plays great here, and will root for him to suceed.

Now attention turns to almost certain deals since the D is shored up, Russell gets moved. and to shore up a Terrible Center situation McDonald and Berglund gets moved for a top 2 Center with new deals for Stewie Pie, and Shatty still on the horizon. Blues are stuck with Halak , Injured again. Unbelievable, Halak's worse then Cola on the IR these days, and that's a fact.
2013 draft is not nearly as deep as originally thought. looking at the players project to go between 20-30 (which is where the blue would be picking if they give the pick to calagry) theres only 1 player I like (RObert Hagg) and hes basically a younger jaybo whos 2 or 3 years away and may be a bust

Old
04-02-2013, 12:40 PM
Squeeven

Crap, and I thought the Blues' defense was good last year, lol. Nice trade for Bouwmeester, that's a steal.

Old
04-02-2013, 01:03 PM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

vCash: 50
I don't get Blues fans upset by this move. Bouwmeester is a significant upgrade at LHD, allowing the team to sit Cole and Redden both.

Yes, he is overpaid, but its not a cap issue for the Blues....and doesn't appear to be one for next season provided the internal budget is high enough. I think this is evidence that the internal budget is flexible enough to act like a true contender rather than trying to win a Cup on a shoe-string.

I think this is a great sign.

Old
04-02-2013, 02:01 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

Good job, Burnside:

Quote:
The Blues edged out other competitors for Bouwmeester’s services, including their Central Division rivals the Detroit Red Wings, sending a first-round draft pick to the Calgary Flames along with a former Blues first-round draft pick, defenseman Mark Cundari, and netminder Reto Berra.

Old
04-02-2013, 02:10 PM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

Wow, do you think Feaster thought he was getting Ian Cole?

Old
04-02-2013, 02:21 PM
CarvinSigX
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Minute Minor View Post
Feaster doesn't think.

Old
04-02-2013, 02:31 PM
Fluff Master
Registered n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarvinSigX View Post
Feaster doesn't think.

I'm definitely okay with this acquisition, he's what we needed on LD. I was psyched when I heard the news, especially considering we could have given up a lot worse than what we did. We now have a log jam for D but the trade deadline isn't quite over so we'll see what happens and if anyone moves. I'm looking forward to the next game and get a good look at our new core D.

Old
04-02-2013, 02:34 PM
jmwc95

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Minute Minor View Post
Other than where they were drafted, what is the real difference. I don't think their trade value is that much different (a mid-round pick vs. a late round pick).

Old
04-02-2013, 02:52 PM
Mike Liut

As soon as Armstrong announced the trade last night, the first think I thought was goodbye Rattie and Jaskin. I can't believe a 1st and a couple scrubs is all they wanted. The Flames should have demanded a 1st and Rattie to be re-united with Baertschi (sp)

Old
04-02-2013, 02:56 PM
bleedblue1223
Fire Army

vCash: 130
Quote:
Other than where they were drafted, what is the real difference. I don't think their trade value is that much different (a mid-round pick vs. a late round pick).
1st round pick vs undrafted...

Old
04-02-2013, 03:07 PM
ExJbeck

Im sure everyone saw this, but here is a link to Jaybo press conference in Calgary.
http://video.blues.nhl.com/videocent...ed-share-video

Old
04-02-2013, 03:09 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

Wow, Dan O'Neill, just, wow.

Quote:
DAN O'NEILL:

What I like about the moves is they address what I felt was a significant issue for the Blues, which is size. With Kris Russell, Kevin Shattenkirk and even Barret Jackman, the Blues were not a physical team on the back end.

That seemed obvious when they played the Los Angeles Kings, whose big forwards have manhandled the Note in recent meetings, including the playoffs last season. It also was apparent in the number of goal-crease-crashing goals the team was giving up.
Bouwmeester's crease-clearing physicality is how the Blues addressed their significant size issue on the backend, per Dan. We can say a lot of things about this deal but Russell is more physical. Bouwmeester's entire game is avoiding contact and skating away from it. If the point was to counter LA's physicality with Blues physicality, this move is the diametric opposite of that. Hell, it was the diametric opposite when the Blues chose Leopold over Regehr.

Closed Thread