HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Official Trade Deadline Thread (4/2: Jagr to BOS; McBain a healthy scratch)

Closed Thread

Old
04-02-2013, 03:09 PM
16 To Stanley*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenith View Post
It's great that you went to game. I saw the game on TV. Yeah, I know people say "oh it's easier to follow the play when you're there live", but I see plenty of things just fine on TV, especially with DVR. Boyle is playing a lot better as of late. He made two blunders in the first period last night, but was better the rest of the way. He's forechecking and getting into the play unlike in the beginning of the year, where he was a complete passenger.

I'd prefer Boyle as my 4th line C - but, in a third line role, with good players, it's not the end of the world. Boyle has been playing with a multitude of random bodies switching in and out of the lineup, unlike last year, where he was pretty much with Prust/Fedotenko/Dubinsky the entire season. Clowe/Hagelin is an upgrade on all 3 of those players.

Regarding Nystrom - he's an upgrade to the bottom-6 that shouldn't cost much. He's tough and can provide a spark offensively. Prust-lite. I would love to acquire him. Especially if it meant dumping Bland Pyatt.
Personally, I think it's easier to watch a game on TV. I had season tickets growing up (for about 15 years) so I've been to upwards of like 500 NHL games. There's nothing like being at a game, but you catch a lot more on TV.

As for the fans at the game, the majority of them are either A) morons or B) drunk off their *****. So i'm going to ignore the scouting report Bardof heard from "a bunch of guys in his section," and stick to my evaluation of a player based on following hockey since i've been born.

Old
Trxjw
Bored.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16 To Stanley View Post
so....jeff halpern
More sandpaper but not as good in the dot.

Old
UAGoalieGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
The thing I can not stress enough is that if the Rangers are serious about getting harder to play against, they can't just get Clowe. They need to revamp the way they play. One player will help but he will need help.
Get Torres and Glencross as well! I have Glencross will cost too much.

Old
04-02-2013, 03:10 PM
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls

vCash: 659
Quote:
so....jeff halpern
Jeff Halpern is so much more. Did you know he's currently on a scoring streak?

Old
16 To Stanley*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
who would you compare him to sandpaper wise. not gonna lie, never even noticed this guy in the games i've seen him play.

Old
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGY View Post
Who would they be ahead of? Hagelin is ahead of them right now. And I think you have Zucc ahead of them also just because of who he plays with.

Hagelin-Stepan-Nash
Zuccarello-Richards-Gaborik
Clowe-Boyle-Callahan
Glencross-Miller-Powe/Asham
For this season, I agree. I meant moving forward after this year. I don't think Gaborik will be around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by haveandare View Post
Because most of the teams getting better are real contenders getting rentals and we're not even close to being a few rentals away from a cup. I'd rather hold on to the picks and prospects.
The dumb trades are the ones for pure rentals. If you trade for a guy who you feel will be around for a while, what is the difference between trading for him now or in the off-season? Glencross would be like that. Clowe wants an extension. Similar idea.

Old
04-02-2013, 03:11 PM
nyr5186

I highly doubt Boyle is getting traded. Yea he's struggling to put up numbers, but he's solid in so many other areas (PK, faceoffs, shotblocking, etc.) and he's a very key guy in the locker room. Tortorella has said all year that the losses of middle of the lineup guys like Dubinsky, Anisimov and Prust has had more of an impact on this team than he anticipated. Trading Boyle would only add to that. It would go against everything Torts has said all season. It's more likely that Sather tries to re-coup the weakening of depth by adding somebody like Clowe. And frankly, I think that's the way to go if we get a good deal (something along the lines of Christian Thomas and a 3rd). Nothing drastic. The last thing we need is more wholesale changes. It's been a weird season with lots of underperforming players. The thing is, the two main underperformers (Gaborik and Richards) are also guys who have proven in the past that they're capable of stepping up hardcore. So I say we ride what we got, hope some guys get hot (ala the Kings last year) and re-assess in the offseason.

Old
04-02-2013, 03:12 PM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

With the rangers on an off day and having Pittsburgh lined up for the next two games, you'd think today would be the day to make a deal. They could use gritty guys like Clowe and Glencross for the pittsburgh matchup tomorrow.

I'd trade Asham and Pyatt for roster space.

Old
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
Pretty much this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UAGoalieGuy View Post
Get Torres and Glencross as well! I have Glencross will cost too much.
I know many people think Glencross will cost a lot but I don't. Teams are shying away from guys with years left on their deals.

Quote:
who would you compare him to sandpaper wise. not gonna lie, never even noticed this guy in the games i've seen him play.
Tyler Kennedy-ish

Old
JeffMangum
Ra shi da

vCash: 300
Quote:
As I said in a prior post, he can be Prust-lite. Not quite as good a skater, not quite as good a passer, but he's pesky, willing to drop the gloves, is a good teammate, and is gritty. An easy upgrade on Pyatt.

#TannerGlass2014
SEEN YOUR VIDEO!
#SheWentToHarvard
Old
04-02-2013, 03:13 PM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

Clowe, Glencross, Ott, Torres.

Maybe Nystrom. Change the dynamic of the bottom 6. Toughness that can play.

If it doesn't happen due to price I get it. But make the calls.

04-02-2013, 03:14 PM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Quote:
For this season, I agree. I meant moving forward after this year. I don't think Gaborik will be around.

The dumb trades are the ones for pure rentals. If you trade for a guy who you feel will be around for a while, what is the difference between trading for him now or in the off-season? Glencross would be like that. Clowe wants an extension. Similar idea.
I don't know though. I don't think Clowe is a second line player anymore. And I don't think Glencross is anymore than a 3rd line player tops. That is not a bad thing because that means you have great depth.

Old
Malarowski

vCash: 822
Quote:
Originally Posted by -31- View Post
Jeff Halpern is so much more. Did you know he's currently on a scoring streak?
I don't know whether it was the team as a whole, or just him, but in the games vs Montreal he seemed to move much faster and playing with much more heart than any time he was with the Rangers.

Old
NYR Viper

Quote:
With the rangers on an off day and having Pittsburgh lined up for the next two games, you'd think today would be the day to make a deal. They could use gritty guys like Clowe and Glencross for the pittsburgh matchup tomorrow.

I'd trade Asham and Pyatt for roster space.
They need gritty guys for more than just Pittsburgh.

I would also hang on to Asham. Good 4th line guy but he can't do it all himself.

Old
04-02-2013, 03:15 PM
Richter Scale

Quote:
so....jeff halpern
Who scored MTL's game winning goal last night, btw. Jus' sayin'.

But no, not Jeff Halpern. Nystrom uses his body, is gritty, and willing to fight. Closer to Prust.

Old
04-02-2013, 03:15 PM
Kwayry
Take the damn deal

I don't believe the Rangers are looking at both Clowe + extension AND Glencross, it's one or the other.

As to defensive depth available. I would like to get McBain or Savard. McBain has NHL experience but Savard with the better skillset.

Old
04-02-2013, 03:17 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by HatTrick Swayze View Post
Clowe, Glencross, Ott, Torres.

Maybe Nystrom. Change the dynamic of the bottom 6. Toughness that can play.

If it doesn't happen due to price I get it. But make the calls.
Exactly. They have been too easy to play against this year.

Quote:
I don't know though. I don't think Clowe is a second line player anymore. And I don't think Glencross is anymore than a 3rd line player tops. That is not a bad thing because that means you have great depth.
I think, when healthy, Clowe is easily a 2nd line player. Prust is a 3rd liner. Offensively, Clowe is way above Prust. Grittiness, toughness, boardwork are assets in the top-6. He doesn't need to have 60 points.

Hagelin is a great example. He is a great complimentary top-6 player.

Old
JeffMangum
Ra shi da

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwayry View Post
I don't believe the Rangers are looking at both Clowe + extension AND Glencross, it's one or the other.

As to defensive depth available. I would like to get McBain or Savard. McBain has NHL experience but Savard with the better skillset.
Getting both would make no sense and would be hell on our cap, unless Gaborik was being moved - which, at this point, is just a bad idea, IMO.

Coming out of the deadline with Clowe/Nystrom/McBain would be nice. Fill a couple of holes on the cheap.

Old
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Quote:
They need gritty guys for more than just Pittsburgh.

I would also hang on to Asham. Good 4th line guy but he can't do it all himself.
Gotta move some bodies. I have liked Asham's game. I just think he'd have more value than Powe and Pyatt.

It's probably not possible but the ideal moves would have us look like this:

Hagelin-Stepan-Nash
Zucc-Richards-Gaborik
Clowe-Ott-Callahan
Glencross-Boyle-Asham

Trade Pyatt
Scratch Powe
Send down Miller, Kreider, Fasth.

Old
04-02-2013, 03:18 PM
t3hg00se

Send a message via AIM to t3hg00se
Would love Nystrom here, hits a ton, PK's, drops em, and won't cost much. He's been solid on the PK with Fiddler all year, creates a good amount of shorthanded opportunities. If we're moving Boyle, Nystrom should be brought in for sure.

Old
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwayry View Post

I would be surprised if the Rangers DO NOT make more than 1 trade.

Old
16 To Stanley*

Thanks guys. Nystrom sounds like a good 4th line option. Torts loves his vets down the stretch. Miller and Kreider won't see any ice time. Powe will see limited. Would love to add some veteran grit/effective bottom line guys at the right price.

Old
JeffMangum
Ra shi da

Glencross on the 4th line?

I don't see the point. That's NHL 13-ish. If Glencross is coming here, Clowe isn't.

Old
Kwayry
Take the damn deal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenith View Post
Getting both would make no sense and would be hell on our cap, unless Gaborik was being moved - which, at this point, is just a bad idea, IMO.

Coming out of the deadline with Clowe/Nystrom/McBain would be nice. Fill a couple of holes on the cheap.
I'd be very ok with that, granted none of the kids is involved.

Old
04-02-2013, 03:19 PM
UAGoalieGuy

Quote:
Pretty much this.

I know many people think Glencross will cost a lot but I don't. Teams are shying away from guys with years left on their deals.

Tyler Kennedy-ish
If he didn't cost that much I'd be game. If MZA can't stick in the line up for some reason:

Hagelin - Stepan - Nash
Gaborik - Richards - Callahan
Glencross - Miller - Clowe
Torres - Boyle - Asham

Closed Thread