HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 NHL Draft and Undrafted Free Agents Talk

Closed Thread

Old
04-02-2013, 04:05 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrf83 View Post
You have no idea what Nate Schmidt is thinking; If he couldn't beat out Allen and Hughes would you want him on NYR, because your post is insinuating exactly that. I prefer to think Slats knew he had no shot at either Sustr or Schmidt and signed who he hopes will work out best for NY. FA NCAA Dmen are not exactly flocking to NY w/Staal, Giradi, DZ, McD manning the top 4 jobs
I wasn't insinuating that, sorry you made that mistake. My sentiments were that Slats couldn't get the deal done for any of the big names and went on to plan b.

Why did we have NO shot at Schmidt? Schmidt who lives for offense is threatened by a teams defense that makes him look like Paul Coffey? Not buying it.

Old
04-02-2013, 04:13 PM
nrf83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
I wasn't insinuating that, sorry you made that mistake. My sentiments were that Slats couldn't get the deal done for any of the big names and went on to plan b.

Why did we have NO shot at Schmidt? Schmidt who lives for offense is threatened by a teams defense that makes him look like Paul Coffey? Not buying it.
IMO these kids look at NY and see the big 4 dmen + McIlrath arriving next yr and know they have no realistic shot of playing immediately. They want to play now and we both know Torts isn't going that route

Old
04-02-2013, 04:20 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
IMO these kids look at NY and see the big 4 dmen + McIlrath arriving next yr and know they have no realistic shot of playing immediately. They want to play now and we both know Torts isn't going that route
Yet another indictment on this coach, the GM and the organization as a whole.

Old
04-02-2013, 04:38 PM
nrf83

Quote:
Yet another indictment on this coach, the GM and the organization as a whole.
Not really, lets let the Schmidts of the world sign and see what happens. Only 1 team can sign a kid, so 29 others screwed up in some way; you seem to have a hard on for Torts and Slats as you have been very critical of their running of the organization, which as a discussion board is fine. I understand feeling are running high w/ the way the season has gone and the use of Kreider and Miller. There are many things that you can criticize both for, but this (FA signing) is not one of them

Old
04-02-2013, 04:51 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Not really, lets let the Schmidts of the world sign and see what happens. Only 1 team can sign a kid, so 29 others screwed up in some way; you seem to have a hard on for Torts and Slats as you have been very critical of their running of the organization, which as a discussion board is fine. I understand feeling are running high w/ the way the season has gone and the use of Kreider and Miller. There are many things that you can criticize both for, but this (FA signing) is not one of them
Yeah, 13 years of coming nowhere close to a homegrown #1 PP dman will do that to ya. Everytime they(slats) screws up I'll be there to point it out

Old
04-02-2013, 05:27 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

http://sharks.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=663556

Sharks sign Danil Tarasov

Undrafted, incredible scorer in the USHL, having a nice pro debut this year, earned himself a deal.

Old
04-02-2013, 10:44 PM
TrueBlue9

Fan of the Clowe trade but something needs to be done to grab another pick in this supposedly deep draft. Its going to be tough sitting on the sidelines if there is another 2003 upon us

Old
04-02-2013, 10:55 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueBlue9 View Post
Fan of the Clowe trade but something needs to be done to grab another pick in this supposedly deep draft. Its going to be tough sitting on the sidelines if there is another 2003 upon us
We got Nash...that's far better than anyone we would have selected in the middle of the first round of this draft.

Old
04-03-2013, 12:30 AM
Joey Bones

Love the Clowe trade & all, but our draft is f***ed for this year. Look for maybe one more deal tomorrow & plenty on draft day.

Old
04-03-2013, 12:31 AM
Joey Bones

Oh & by the way.......... on Schmidt situation

Old
04-03-2013, 12:39 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Bones View Post
Oh & by the way.......... on Schmidt situation
Not only did the Caps sign Schmidt, but they drafted the Nations leading rookie scorer, Riley Barber, 39 points in 40 games, in the 6th round of last years draft. We took Calle Andersson in the 4th and Thomas Spelling in the 5th. I guess the Ranger's scouts didn't like what they saw in Barber even though they must have seen him alot being that he was teammates all that year with Brady Skjei.

Old
04-03-2013, 01:45 AM
Zil

Quote:
Not only did the Caps sign Schmidt, but they drafted the Nations leading rookie scorer, Riley Barber, 39 points in 40 games, in the 6th round of last years draft. We took Calle Andersson in the 4th and Thomas Spelling in the 5th. I guess the Ranger's scouts didn't like what they saw in Barber even though they must have seen him alot being that he was teammates all that year with Brady Skjei.
Are you really going to get on them for missing one guy who fell into the sixth round who hasn't even made the NHL yet? Do you expect them to find every single quality player who falls in the draft? For all you know one or both of Andersson and Spelling will turn out to be really good.

Old
04-03-2013, 08:44 AM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Darren Dreger ‏@DarrenDreger 39s
news from last night. Ducks sign college free agent Steven Whitney from Boston College. second in nation in goals. #tradecentre
Whitney to Anaheim

Old
04-03-2013, 08:47 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 910
Awards:
Quote:
Andersson is a very intriguing prospect. I really like his game.

Spelling is meh. Don't see much future for him. He seems like a journeyman, second division European player.

It's just pain.
Old
04-03-2013, 09:16 AM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

From an NHL standpoint I would take the CCHA rookie we drafted last year over Barber every time.

04-03-2013, 10:35 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zil View Post
Are you really going to get on them for missing one guy who fell into the sixth round who hasn't even made the NHL yet? Do you expect them to find every single quality player who falls in the draft? For all you know one or both of Andersson and Spelling will turn out to be really good.
If they watched him play as much as Skjei, yeah they failed. Scouting is their job, they get paid to get it right. Meanwhile, posters here on this board have chosen getter over the years, its no mystery to people who have been here for awhile.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
Whitney to Anaheim
Rich get richer, good player.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HatTrick Swayze View Post
From an NHL standpoint I would take the CCHA rookie we drafted last year over Barber every time.
We could have had both, Fogarty was a 3rd rounder.

Old
04-03-2013, 10:38 AM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

Should have specified, talking about Nieves.

Look Barber was a good pick. But under the theory of "can't win em all" I would take finding Nieves in the 2nd over Barber in the 6th.

Old
04-03-2013, 11:23 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by HatTrick Swayze View Post
Should have specified, talking about Nieves.

Look Barber was a good pick. But under the theory of "can't win em all" I would take finding Nieves in the 2nd over Barber in the 6th.
Nieves injury toward the end of the year altered his game and he was not the same, gotta be concerned. I hope he rebounds and I hope this is not a problem going forward. Ha...forward

Barber is only one name they passed on, I could give you at least 15 players drafted after Calle Andersson that look like 1st or 2nd rounders this past season. I do my homework, yet every time I bring the info its 'hindsight'. Was it hindsight 4 years ago when I was talking about some kid named Schmidt who'd make a great mid round pick?

Old
04-03-2013, 06:14 PM
Championship*
#Joel&Ellie

Slats: "Take the year off Gordie!"

Old
04-03-2013, 06:17 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Championship View Post
Slats: "Take the year off Gordie!"
Actually made his job harder, he has to pick a winner or two w/o the high picks.

Old
04-03-2013, 08:26 PM
nsvoyageurs

Quote:
Actually made his job harder, he has to pick a winner or two w/o the high picks.
Good luck with that.

Old
04-04-2013, 08:18 PM
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26

Been looking at the roster, system and picks for the 13 draft. I just really don't see anyway they get themselves back into the 1st round at all. 2nd round maybe. I look so forward to the draft evey year. This year it's so close to home I was pumped to go to it. Now...Not so much.

To make it more interesting there are some local LI Royals kids that are draft eligible.

Old
04-05-2013, 09:03 AM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion Hound View Post
Been looking at the roster, system and picks for the 13 draft. I just really don't see anyway they get themselves back into the 1st round at all. 2nd round maybe. I look so forward to the draft evey year. This year it's so close to home I was pumped to go to it. Now...Not so much.

To make it more interesting there are some local LI Royals kids that are draft eligible.
I think they will make a couple of moves, ala Grachev, and I think they move a couple of NHL players for picks, albeit later ones. Maybe they can get a 3rd for Pyatt from someone? Stralman if they feel McIlrath will be ready and everyone is healthy? They have options.

I don't see them getting back into the 1st though, which is okay.

Old
04-05-2013, 09:25 AM
Championship*
#Joel&Ellie

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
I think they will make a couple of moves, ala Grachev, and I think they move a couple of NHL players for picks, albeit later ones. Maybe they can get a 3rd for Pyatt from someone? Stralman if they feel McIlrath will be ready and everyone is healthy? They have options.

I don't see them getting back into the 1st though, which is okay.
I could see Boyle moved at the Draft

Old
04-05-2013, 09:57 AM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Oh, c'mon - there are plenty of ways to get back into the first if they really want to. And if gets easier the deeper you get. The question is - do you want to pay the price?

First and foremost, you can trade next year's number one, potentially with another asset.

Secondly, anyone in the team's top 7 forwards could likely bring back a number one or a package that includes a number one (except for maybe Richards and Clowe only if he signs a somewhat reasonable extension). Likewise for any of our top 4 Dmen.

In addition, we have probably 5 or so kids (Kreider, Miller, McIlrath, Fast, Lindberg off the top of my head) who could fetch a first, depending on where in the round you are.

Last and most unthinkable, you could trade Lundqvist.

Of course, would any of these moves be popular...? That might be a different story. I'm just pointing out that there are plenty of ways to do it.

Closed Thread