HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What can Brown do for you?

Old
03-13-2013, 05:59 AM
SchultzSquared*

vCash: 500
Hey guys Brown is a 2 minute a night player who is a bad skater remember

SchultzSquared* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 11:34 AM
McCanovin
Oil Dynasty

Wish our 4th line had 3 Mike Brown's. That would be some kind of chemistry!

McCanovin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 11:37 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 3251
I guess the answer is "get Eager placed on waivers".

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 12:21 PM
Replacement
Now 11.5% more Zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
I guess the answer is "get Eager placed on waivers".
Somebody beat me to it. In an unexpected twist I might have to sign up for the fanclub now.

j/k

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 12:51 PM
Seedling
Tier 7 fan (ballcap)

vCash: 50
I hope he gets picked up. Lots of Eastern teams have a lot of injuries.

Seedling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 01:20 PM
zeus3007*

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger_80 View Post
Great 4th liner. Hopefully, we've seen the last of Eager around these parts. Trade Belanger too and bring in a Steckel type 4th line center to take draws and PK.
How is Steckel any different than Belanger? Aside from size that he doesn't use.

zeus3007* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 11:49 AM
JackJ

I come in peace.

Wanted an update on how Mike "The Stache" Brown is fitting in. Always a fan favourite no matter what team he suited up for.

JackJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 12:02 PM
Mcnofool6110
Best @ tanking ainec

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackJ View Post
I come in peace.

Wanted an update on how Mike "The Stache" Brown is fitting in. Always a fan favourite no matter what team he suited up for.
As posted in another thread, 7-4-1 with Brown in the lineup, he's been everything you can ask for in a fourth-line crash/and/banger. Didn't take him long to become a fan favorite.

Mcnofool6110 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 01:18 PM
stratedge
I rigged the lotto.

vCash: 785
I just wish he were better along the boards. Has anyone else noticed that anytime he gets into a battle along the boards and gets the puck into his feet, he seems to be lost as to what to do next? Almost every time he's on the puck in the opposition end, the other team comes away from the boards with the puck, clean, and heads the other way. Ryan Smyth is much better in this regard, and Petrell a little better, in that they work towards pulling away and trying to dish off a pass. They at least generally get into a spot to attempt a pass. Brown, every time it has seemed to me, loses the puck and the other team pulls away.

stratedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 01:40 PM
Horseradish

He's a 4th liner who contributes little to nothing to winning. I couldn´t care less about him either way.

Horseradish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 01:54 PM
McDorian2
Positional Bias.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horseradish View Post
He's a 4th liner who contributes little to nothing to winning. I couldn´t care less about him either way.
I disagree.

He contributes that x-factor of energy to the entire team when he takes on certain situations, like a big hit at the right time or a scrap at the perfect moment.

I have a feeling he's good in the dressing room as well. A few players are starting to play with a little more grit lately.

I believe those, as well as others, are all worthy contributions.

McDorian2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 01:54 PM
BleedingOil

Not sure if Horseradish watches the games...browns a solid 4th liner, he brings grit, energy, toughness and gives 110% every shift.

BleedingOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 01:56 PM
IV XIV XCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horseradish View Post
Unless this is subtle sarcasm, you have a lot to learn about hockey.

It's like someone watching football and thinking the offensive linemen are just taking up space.

IV XIV XCI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 03:14 PM
joestevens29

Which game was it that the announcers were saying that after the Brown scrap the night before that the team felt bigger and played bigger?

Old
04-02-2013, 03:16 PM
Koto

Quote:
Originally Posted by IV XIV XCI View Post
Unless this is subtle sarcasm, you have a lot to learn about hockey.

It's like someone watching football and thinking the offensive linemen are just taking up space.
offensive lineman literally protect the QB and contribute to the running game....4th liners are in no way comparable.

Koto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 03:16 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratedge View Post
I just wish he were better along the boards. Has anyone else noticed that anytime he gets into a battle along the boards and gets the puck into his feet, he seems to be lost as to what to do next? Almost every time he's on the puck in the opposition end, the other team comes away from the boards with the puck, clean, and heads the other way. Ryan Smyth is much better in this regard, and Petrell a little better, in that they work towards pulling away and trying to dish off a pass. They at least generally get into a spot to attempt a pass. Brown, every time it has seemed to me, loses the puck and the other team pulls away.
That's why he is a 4th liner. If he did this he'd be getting more minutes and a potential third liner, then it would be why doesn't he score.

At some point the whole "it is what it is" comment needs to be taken in. Need to stop wishing guys were more then what they really are.

Old
04-02-2013, 03:17 PM
Beerfish

In my mind he's been a very good addition and has done just what I expected and hoped he would do and provide.

Beerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 03:18 PM
Koto

Quote:
Which game was it that the announcers were saying that after the Brown scrap the night before that the team felt bigger and played bigger?
you realize this is just cliche response to a tee-ed up question.

its not like they asked, why are you playing better, and the player responded the 4th line makes me feel bigger.

Old
04-02-2013, 03:26 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koto View Post
you realize this is just cliche response to a tee-ed up question.

its not like they asked, why are you playing better, and the player responded the 4th line makes me feel bigger.
Maybe, but I'm pretty sure Kreuger and ST know this is how they feel hence why the keep Brown in the lineup. Players like having some sort of protection, they have mentioned it numerous times over the years.

But guys like Willis don't take players at their word. Instead of flat out listening to Strudwick they want to go and show some stats that shows the team did worse with a goon in the lineup. If the players want it you give it to them. It's such a small role to keep many happy.

Old
04-02-2013, 03:31 PM
The Nuge
5-14-6-1

Quote:
Maybe, but I'm pretty sure Kreuger and ST know this is how they feel hence why the keep Brown in the lineup. Players like having some sort of protection, they have mentioned it numerous times over the years.

But guys like Willis don't take players at their word. Instead of flat out listening to Strudwick they want to go and show some stats that shows the team did worse with a goon in the lineup. If the players want it you give it to them. It's such a small role to keep many happy.
Ya its definitely nice knowing you've got a guy out there who has your back. And I don't think anyone that's played hockey can deny that when someone on your team lays a big hit or gets in a fight, it pumps you up

The Nuge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 03:32 PM
Koto

Quote:

do they want it? or are they being good teammates by saying so and so is valuable to the team.

Old
04-02-2013, 03:33 PM
Koto

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nuge View Post
Ya its definitely nice knowing you've got a guy out there who has your back. And I don't think anyone that's played hockey can deny that when someone on your team lays a big hit or gets in a fight, it pumps you up
honestly as a smaller player who wasnt very tough, seeing a big hit made me think "great now im going to get run"

Old
04-02-2013, 03:35 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koto View Post
do they want it? or are they being good teammates by saying so and so is valuable to the team.
All signs point to them wanting one. Strudwick has talked in the past how they liked having Mac around so that they didn't have to look over their shoulder, so I'm sure with a younger team that has some of those same players that still gets pushed around still feel that way.

Old
04-02-2013, 04:12 PM
harpoon
FOB

Quote:
Or how about the line from the color man in game last night ... with McGrattan, Sarich and Jackman on the ice I'm sure Brown feels like he's got a pork chop dangling from his neck. Brown has heart I'll give him that but he's waaay too small to ever be an effective enforcer.

harpoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 04:18 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by harpoon View Post
Or how about the line from the color man in game last night ... with McGrattan, Sarich and Jackman on the ice I'm sure Brown feels like he's got a pork chop dangling from his neck. Brown has heart I'll give him that but he's waaay too small to ever be an effective enforcer.
Sarich? Even Jackman isn't exactly that scary. The guys that he has to be afraid of are McGrattan and that's about it in our division.

It's not the superheavy's that are running around anyway. It's the Boll's, Roussel's, Tootoo's, Clune's that are the issues.