HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Phoenix LXXIII: "This Space Available"

Closed Thread

Old
04-02-2013, 12:45 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by QcBlizzard View Post
I can't wait for news from Pastor. He met Glendale yesterday right?
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevyD View Post
So... Anything new??? I mean REALLY new.
Not really, and awaiting news pursuant to Qc's post above. As they say in Quebec, faire de pas de souris;
with mouse steps, to creep up on a subject slowly, with caution. Est bon pas?... is good no?

Be Seeing You

Old
04-02-2013, 01:13 PM
NHLfan4life
Who is PKP???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major4Boarding View Post
No news from yesterday's meeting thus far.

However, today's CoG agenda has Tindall's severance discussion (special meeting) and regular Workshop meeting to discuss:

* Fire Dept Budget and baseline service levels

* Police Dept Budget and baseline service levels

Executive Session... we all know what's being discussed in that one, right?

Last nite was their first of two public meetings this week (next one Thurs) regarding the budget process. The remaining Budget Workshop schedule is April 9th and 16th.
I just asked one of the council members directly what was discussed in the Executive Session and if it had to do with the Coyotes. Awaiting response.

I'm tired of waiting for others to ask the questions we need answers, especially 'local media' and I've gotten a very good response from one of the CoG members.

It helps I'm in their district

Old
04-02-2013, 02:21 PM
Tinalera

With this saga, it wouldn't surprise me at all if there was a major announcement that Bettman is stepping down as NHL head....

and proceeds to buy the Yotes.

This place would look like Fallout New Vegas when all was said and done

BTW-any word on the Auditor's report-when it's supposed to be out?

Old
04-02-2013, 02:36 PM
Llama19

vCash: 1100
Quote:
Originally Posted by QcBlizzard View Post
I can't wait for news from Pastor. He met Glendale yesterday right?
Keep waiting...

"Glendale Mayor Jerry Weiers said late Monday that he had never spoken to Pastor and that he was unaware that Pastor had hoped to speak with him. I dont know who Darin Pastor is, he said.

The mayor also said that he has heard nothing more from the NHL. Last week, Weiers said NHL Commission Gary Bettman called to tell him that an ownership group could be in place sometime this week."

Source: www.azcentral.com/community/glendale/articles/20130401calif-ceo-new-competitor-coyotes-ownership-hunt.html

Be seeing you!

Old
04-02-2013, 02:41 PM
QcBlizzard
Regis-tered fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llama19 View Post
Keep waiting...

"Glendale Mayor Jerry Weiers said late Monday that he had never spoken to Pastor and that he was unaware that Pastor had hoped to speak with him. I dont know who Darin Pastor is, he said.

The mayor also said that he has heard nothing more from the NHL. Last week, Weiers said NHL Commission Gary Bettman called to tell him that an ownership group could be in place sometime this week."

Source: www.azcentral.com/community/glendale/articles/20130401calif-ceo-new-competitor-coyotes-ownership-hunt.html

Be seeing you!
I am sooooooooooooooo anxious ;-)

Bonjour chez vous! (Thats the way they made the french translation - a sort of "Hello in your house") Bizarre I know...

Old
04-02-2013, 02:42 PM
Tinalera

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llama19 View Post
Keep waiting...

Be seeing you!

So, Bettman hasn't heard of him, and the mayor hasn't heard of him. Yet Pastor puts out a PR like he's a big spender about to make a deal.

Sounds like something out of Monty Python.

Yea, this really kind of says there's nothing to see here with Pastor. Just wow....

Old
04-02-2013, 02:49 PM
Llama19

vCash: 1100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinalera View Post

So, Bettman hasn't heard of him, and the mayor hasn't heard of him. Yet Pastor puts out a PR like he's a big spender about to make a deal.

Sounds like something out of Monty Python.

Yea, this really kind of says there's nothing to see here with Pastor. Just wow....
"We lease it back from the company we sold it to and that way it comes under the monthly current budget and not the capital account."

Source: The Monty Python Guide to Running a Business

Say no more, say no more!

Be seeing you!

Old
04-02-2013, 03:04 PM
Major4Boarding
Global Moderator
Private Equity

Ya'll wanted news... I bring you the news (expanding on Llama's post and courtesy of Paul Giblin at the Republic)

Quote:
Pastor said he hoped to meet with Coyotes executives and tour Jobing.com Arena today. However, that meeting never materialized.

Team President Mike Nealy referred Pastor to NHL Deputy Commissioner Bill Daly, Coyotes spokesman Rich Nairn said. “There are no plans to meet with him at this time,” Nairn said.

Daly did not respond to messages left by the Republic.

Glendale Mayor Jerry Weiers said late Monday that he had never spoken to Pastor and that he was unaware that Pastor had hoped to speak with him. “I don’t know who Darin Pastor is,” he said.
Further

Quote:
He declined to identify the other potential investors, but said none currently are involved in professional sports ownership.

“We’ve been sort of sizing this up, framing how we can get it done, how we can get the financing in place, how we can make sure that we have enough capital to make sure we can make this thing work over a long period of time,” he said.

“We’ve not only done a great deal of due diligence on this, but we believe we can pull this off. If we didn’t, we wouldn’t bother,” he said.
Also mentions they're interested in discussing the management duties... i.e. "...talented municipal financing veterans"

Old
04-02-2013, 03:22 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

There's a reason this guy was a good salesman. There are all kinds of people like this in the world of finance, which is why our financial industry crashed a few years ago.

Old
04-02-2013, 03:43 PM
mesamonster

Why all the negativity regarding Mr. Pastor? He says he has the investors, the passion and the know how to get this done, this week!! Can`t you see he is doing in depth DD on this project, he and his Munie Finance professionals are busy sizing up this once in a lifetime opportunity! They have been leaders in selling term life and ira mutual funds, of course they possess the requisite skills to make this deal a long term winner for the fans and the city Of Glendale! So what`s all the fuss about, it will get done sooner or later this week!

Old
04-02-2013, 03:46 PM
Tinalera

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelhockey View Post
There's a reason this guy was a good salesman. There are all kinds of people like this in the world of finance, which is why our financial industry crashed a few years ago.
Scary really.

He's talking about all these things about how they could make it work-ect, when Bettman and the Mayor haven't heard of this guy, he hasn't even looked at the books. It's just surreal to watch (me who has very little economic acumen outside of checking my bank balance) one guy (at least publically) go on and on like it's a sure thing, yet the people he needs to SPEAK to haven't heard of him or know anything abou him.

It's truly bizarre to watch....

Charisma is something else-makes me want to put on my best suit and head down to Bay Street in Toronto, pick a random business and walk in like I own the place, and get them to signed me to a 1 year 10 million dollar contract. It could be done right?

Old
04-02-2013, 03:55 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Quote:
Charisma is something else-makes me want to put on my best suit and head down to Bay Street in Toronto, pick a random business and walk in like I own the place, and get them to signed me to a 1 year 10 million dollar contract. It could be done right?

Old
04-02-2013, 03:58 PM
mesamonster

Don`t look now, but the other shoe is about to come off of this franchise! Their present record appears to suggest that the likelihood of making the PO`s is growing worse by the day! That had been the only carrot this group was chasing, with it practically gone, these remaining few weeks are going to be pretty awful for them once they are mathematically eliminated. The G&M is projecting 52 points to make the PO`s, which means the Coyotes need to go 11-4-1 in their last 16 games to have a chance! Not likely.

To all of those potential purchasers out there, how does your marketing plan look for next year?

Last edited by mesamonster: 04-02-2013 at 04:04 PM.
Old
04-02-2013, 04:10 PM
MNNumbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesamonster View Post
Don`t look now, but the other shoe is about to come off of this franchise! Their present record appears to suggest that the likelihood of making the PO`s is growing worse by the day! That had been the only carrot this group was chasing, with it practically gone, these remaining few weeks are going to be pretty awful for them once they are mathematically eliminated. The G&M is projecting 52 points to make the PO`s, which means the Coyotes need to go 11-4-1 in their last 16 games to have a chance! Not likely.

To all of those potential purchasers out there, how does your marketing plan look for next year?

Mesa, I think you have the right idea, but the numbers are a little suspect. Right now, on April 2, they have 34 points and have played 35 games. Thus, 13 games left.
If G&M is right (I think 53 is more likely, but whatever, let's use 52), they need 18 pts in 13 games.
That would be 8-3-2 for example, or 9-4, or 7-1-4.

Not quite as extreme as you calculated, but still doubtful. Plus, they host LA tonight. Any points they lose to teams above them makes the job doubly harder. Lose tonight in regulation, and it gets down to 8-2-2 or 9-3 or 7-0-4. Tough.

Old
04-02-2013, 04:18 PM
Tinalera

Quote:
Okay, I admit the joke totally went over my head-just wondering what the reference is

Old
04-02-2013, 04:31 PM
mesamonster

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNNumbers View Post
Mesa, I think you have the right idea, but the numbers are a little suspect. Right now, on April 2, they have 34 points and have played 35 games. Thus, 13 games left.
If G&M is right (I think 53 is more likely, but whatever, let's use 52), they need 18 pts in 13 games.
That would be 8-3-2 for example, or 9-4, or 7-1-4.

Not quite as extreme as you calculated, but still doubtful. Plus, they host LA tonight. Any points they lose to teams above them makes the job doubly harder. Lose tonight in regulation, and it gets down to 8-2-2 or 9-3 or 7-0-4. Tough.
You are correct, my numbers were from a week ago! Thanks, outlook is pretty bleak!

Old
04-02-2013, 04:52 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
... ya. Huckster's who havent got the slightest clue what their doing to the market with their derivative trading for example?. And I mean NO CLUE?! Professional gamblers using OPM? And when it all blows sky high; Government bailouts. And then, in quite possibly the most despicable act of all, as if they already shouldnt be shot, they turnaround & with the banking industry set-up tax default divisions. Squadrons of morally bankrupt Ghouls out riding through the storms they themselves wrought picking off choice residential & commercial properties fallen into tax arrears to the very people they themselves initially financed to purchase the properties in the first place, or at one time held in blocks that they'd previously bundled, pumped & then dumped on unsuspecting investors through various Hedge Funds & Brokerage Houses. "Wealth Management" Guru's. Grifters and....

Old
04-02-2013, 05:13 PM
DopeyFish

vCash: 50
Quote:
Okay, I admit the joke totally went over my head-just wondering what the reference is
jeff finger

we still don't know who he is or how he got that contract

Old
04-02-2013, 05:13 PM
PSGJ

vCash: 50
If Bettman had any decency () he would let the bad news out as soon as possible in order to allow fans to say a proper farewell to their team.

Old
04-02-2013, 05:22 PM
Tinalera

Quote:
Originally Posted by DopeyFish View Post
jeff finger

we still don't know who he is or how he got that contract
Aha! Now I get it (didn't recognize him-which of course is par for the "who the hell is Jeff Finger" course )

Yea, that's a guy that really made quite a payday for being......well for not being a 4 million dollar a year player.....

Old
04-02-2013, 05:52 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Aha! Now I get it... "who the hell is Jeff Finger"...
Oh you missed that TL? Uncle Cliff (Fletcher) gave us the Finger. Leaf Ownership & Managements traditional Salute to the fan base... hey, at least their communicating.

Be Seeing You

Old
04-02-2013, 06:19 PM
cbcwpg

vCash: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by mesamonster View Post
Why all the negativity regarding Mr. Pastor?
You mean other than the fact that this guy actually said in an interview he thinks the team could end up in Winnipeg...

We are not talking about a Mensa member here.

Old
04-02-2013, 06:47 PM
GuelphStormer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbcwpg View Post
You mean other than the fact that this guy actually said in an interview he thinks the team could end up in Winnipeg...

other than the cunningly brilliant mr. bettman, i dont think anyone involved in this four year saga even knows what mensa is ... indeed, many of the characters seem to hover on the opposite end of the spectrum.

Old
04-02-2013, 06:53 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbcwpg View Post
Pretty strange. He expects to be in Glendale tomorrow, given a tour of the arena, meet with the Mayor, neither Nealey nor Weiers (who hadnt even heard of him) aware of such. I mean c'mon here. He's just gonna show up casually without any appointments or whatever? How could you possibly have been doing your due dilly for 6 months as he states yet never apparently even visited before nor even had a single conversation with the teams President & the Mayor of the City? A few tweets & text messages with Bill Daly's hardly doing ones due diligence. ... Heck, one night just for fun I sent Daly a tweet, then got into it with him about the Scoville Scale. Used to measure the heat in chili peppers, having opened the conversation with him about chicken wings. Guy thinks he's some kinda expert on the subject. Well, you got another think coming Billy... anyway, point being, had I broached the subject of the Coyotes, had the resources & interest, damn straight Daly wouldve been more than amenable, taken the conversation off-line, followed up. Its not like theres a moat, draw bridge, iron barred gates and fire breathing dragons keeping anyone monied away for a close up peek or long look as the case may be.

Old
04-02-2013, 07:12 PM
blues10

Can I assume that according to L'ill Gary's statement last week that Gosbee and one of the clowns are going to purchase the Coyotes in the next 72 hours?

Let the fun begin.

Closed Thread