HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Notices

2013-14 Colorado Avalanche Prospects Thread

Closed Thread

Old
04-02-2013, 10:45 AM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade Stylings View Post
It was announced via his own Twitter that the Avs have signed 20 year old forward Trevor Cheek of the Edmonton Oil Kings (WHL).

Cheek had 32 goals and 60 points in 70 games this year. He's a good sized kid at 6'2. Skates well, has good hands and has a great work ethic. He fits into our system well and should be one of those guys that contributes at a decent level next year in the AHL.
IMHO he could end up as a low end 3rd line player who can play on the PK. What's your take?

Old
04-02-2013, 10:46 AM
Helton4Hall
Internet Charlatan

vCash: 69
Here's the thing to me, it's about value. I don't have any problems with the way Hejda plays, but truth is he's an old player with declining value who may or may not be worth much next season. The Avs will probably make a move for a solid defender if he is moved either by moving a forward like Staz or Jones, or going after one in UFA. Theoretical new defender could either play with Johnson and have Wilson with barrie, or he could play with Barrie. Thus, you keep value at the position (assuming the Avs don't blow this) and you get to move an aging player with declining value while the price is high.

The question essentially is this, do you want to keep an older player with declining value in the hope that he doesn't struggle or move him now and find someone who can replace his value. I'll take door number two.

Old
04-02-2013, 10:52 AM
Helton4Hall
Internet Charlatan

vCash: 69
But truth is, I don't expect him to be moved, since the Avs don't understand value. The fact they insist on keeping dinosaurs and players they could get a lot more value from by moving shows this pretty well.

Old
04-02-2013, 10:56 AM
Freudian
Patty likes beef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Jones View Post
Here's the thing to me, it's about value. I don't have any problems with the way Hejda plays, but truth is he's an old player with declining value who may or may not be worth much next season. The Avs will probably make a move for a solid defender if he is moved either by moving a forward like Staz or Jones, or going after one in UFA. Theoretical new defender could either play with Johnson and have Wilson with barrie, or he could play with Barrie. Thus, you keep value at the position (assuming the Avs don't blow this) and you get to move an aging player with declining value while the price is high.

The question essentially is this, do you want to keep an older player with declining value in the hope that he doesn't struggle or move him now and find someone who can replace his value. I'll take door number two.
The problem is that Avs have four defenders we are probably better off trading than keeping and Hejda is the most useful of them.

I think with Wilson being brittle and Hunwick being limited due to his size, we're better off trying to move Zanon/O'Byrne/O'Brien over Hejda.

Hejda has aged pretty well and I don't think he'll be a disaster in his last two years.

Old
04-02-2013, 10:57 AM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

Tanner Pearson is ten times the player Lipon is and deserved his 1st round selection. Lipon would be a solid 5th rounder.

Old
04-02-2013, 11:19 AM
R S
Renegade Stylings

vCash: 4250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan13 View Post
IMHO he could end up as a low end 3rd line player who can play on the PK. What's your take?
About the same. I like the signing. He's a kid that does a little bit of everything and I like guys like that. With some seasoning and a good transition to the pro game he could make a very good bottom 6 player in a few seasons. If not, he'll be a good versatile guy to have in the AHL.

Old
04-02-2013, 11:27 AM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

Quote:
About the same. I like the signing. He's a kid that does a little bit of everything and I like guys like that. With some seasoning and a good transition to the pro game he could make a very good bottom 6 player in a few seasons. If not, he'll be a good versatile guy to have in the AHL.
The best thing about this move is Avs are creating depth for the seasons and injuries to come. Our AHL team next year have a good chance of being really decent with Siemens, Meurs, Cheek, Heard, a healthy Hishon, almost PPG player Sgarbossa, and a bunch of players getting a good taste in the AHL with Beaupre, Carey, Lauridsen, Agozzino, Pickard, Aittokallio. And with a big chance of Condon joining the team next year as well.

Old
04-02-2013, 11:47 AM
GeoffL19

vCash: 800
Quote:
It was announced via his own Twitter that the Avs have signed 20 year old forward Trevor Cheek of the Edmonton Oil Kings (WHL).

Cheek had 32 goals and 60 points in 70 games this year. He's a good sized kid at 6'2. Skates well, has good hands and has a great work ethic. He fits into our system well and should be one of those guys that contributes at a decent level next year in the AHL.
Good to see the Avs pick up a guy like this. We need more size along the wings in terms of prospects.

Old
04-02-2013, 12:31 PM
henchman24
#ImagineAvs

vCash: 500
Word as of now is that Condon stays for his senior year.

Old
04-02-2013, 12:32 PM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by henchman24 View Post
Good.

Old
04-02-2013, 12:41 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

Quote:
Damn, I think he's more AHL ready than Smith is.

Old
04-02-2013, 12:42 PM
Foppa2118

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrickAHL View Post
Quincey is wrong because Jan Hejda said we do have a dietitian.
I must have missed that, where did he say it?

Old
04-02-2013, 12:45 PM
henchman24
#ImagineAvs

Quote:
Originally Posted by S E P H View Post
Damn, I think he's more AHL ready than Smith is.
Probably is, but it gives the Avs an extra contract space for next year and Condon more playing time.

Old
04-02-2013, 12:49 PM
cgf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Jones View Post

I think Hejda has a ton of value outside of just his play for us. He's a great partner for Barrie to continue learning next to, and he'll also be a good example for Siemens to learn from. Having those quality veterans to smooth the transition and advise the kids is a key to optimal development and integration of young players. That's why I'd keep Hejda and O'Brien around to go with EJ, Barrie, Wilson and ??? Get whatever we can for O'Byrne, Zanon and Hunwick though, they're awful and they're pointless, but Hejda and SOB bring a lot more to the table than just quality second and third pairing LHD play.

Old
04-02-2013, 03:53 PM
BrickAHL
#NotUs

vCash: 432
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foppa2118 View Post
I must have missed that, where did he say it?
http://www.eurolanche.com/article.php?id=2722

Quote:
What do you eat during the season?

I try to have the same weight. We have a scale in the locker room and I use it before and after every practice. Mostly we have the same pre-game meal as for example chicken, pasta and rice. Usually I eat steak with rice or potatoes in the evening before the game. There is nutrition guy who gives us advices about it.

Old
04-02-2013, 03:56 PM
henchman24
#ImagineAvs

Quote:
He just tells them which Quizno's sub to order that day.

Old
04-02-2013, 03:57 PM
Foppa2118

Quote:
Quincey's such an idiot. He just says whatever he can think of to make the Avs look bad.

Old
04-02-2013, 03:59 PM
Foppa2118

Quote:
He just tells them which Quizno's sub to order that day.
Yea, their nutrition guy is the 17 year old working behind the counter.

Old
04-03-2013, 10:32 AM
R S
Renegade Stylings

Goodbye Cameron Gaunce and welcome Tomas Vincour.

Old
04-03-2013, 10:53 AM
TwoPadStack
Gross Misconduct

Quote:
Goodbye Cameron Gaunce and welcome Tomas Vincour.
And hello yesterday

Old
04-03-2013, 10:58 AM
R S
Renegade Stylings

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoPadStack View Post
And hello yesterday
Well this is the prospects thread and it wasn't even mentioned here.

Old
04-03-2013, 10:59 AM
RockLobster
Beatles Guru

vCash: 905
Quote:
Did you see any of Vincour's game while he was in Juniors? If so what can you tell us about him?

Thought I'd been in love before, but in my heart I wanted more. Seems like all I really was doing was waiting for you - John Lennon/The Beatles
Old
04-03-2013, 11:05 AM
R S
Renegade Stylings

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockLobster View Post
Did you see any of Vincour's game while he was in Juniors? If so what can you tell us about him?
Sorry, don't have much to add besides the fact that he's got size and very good hands. He's the kind of guy that should be able to succeed anywhere in our bottom 6 and even provide some offence if needed.

Old
04-03-2013, 11:11 AM
TwoPadStack
Gross Misconduct

Quote:
No worries, just pulling your leg. Here's the 100+ reply thread if you want to sink your teeth in!

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1393543

Old
04-04-2013, 11:18 PM
collegehockeyguy

Quote:
I think he would benefit from another year. Likely a first or second line center next year. What source did this "word" come from? Thanks

Closed Thread