Winnipeg Jets 2013 Draft Talk

Closed Thread

Old
03-28-2013, 12:15 AM
Snot Rocket

vCash: 800
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
This "deep draft" thing is overstated. It seems a little better than normal, but honestly it's not as good as people are making it out to be. And we won't know for sure for 5+ years whether this draft actually is as good as people think it to be.

Also, we have 3 seconds. Wpg's, Chi's and the 59th pick in the draft we get as compensation for losing 2008 first rounder Daultan Leveille without signing him.

Also Lowry has proven exactly squat. Telegin was the talk of the town last year, now it's Lowry. Let's wait until these guys prove something at NHL level before counting them as successes (or failures).
I prefer glass half full myself.
I don't remember anything about Telegin being anything other than fleet of foot...then again I was not reading the boards steady last year.

BTW I am totally rocking crazy Nik hair recently, much to the wife's chagrin...counts for something right...RIGHT!?!?!

Old
03-28-2013, 12:17 AM
DEANYOUNGBLOOD17

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
This "deep draft" thing is overstated. It seems a little better than normal, but honestly it's not as good as people are making it out to be. And we won't know for sure for 5+ years whether this draft actually is as good as people think it to be.

Also, we have 3 seconds. Wpg's, Chi's and the 59th pick in the draft we get as compensation for losing 2008 first rounder Daultan Leveille without signing him.

Also Lowry has proven exactly squat. Telegin was the talk of the town last year, now it's Lowry. Let's wait until these guys prove something at NHL level before counting them as successes (or failures).
HUM-BUG .......stop griping...........Lok 4-wrd to Telegin making a contributiomn in 2014........ O Dell scoring with the jets............and Lowery dominating with the Ice Caps

Old
03-28-2013, 12:19 AM
GoldenJet89

vCash: 362
i posted this on a trade thread. just wondering what ppl think

this year the top 5-6 guys in the draft really look like they could be franchise players.... while the rest of the draft is still deep, this is where teams are going to get almost sure fire difference makers for the long term

lets just say in theory the jets would love to add another young franchise type player, instead of a couple OK prospects

what would it cost to get us into the top 6 of this years draft???

id prefer it didnt include any players, but strictly picks for discussions sake. i have no knowledge on how previous trades were valued

could something like our first (21-24) and two second rounders, move us into the top six? maybe we also add one of our extra picks in either the 3rd or 4th round also?

i dont know if thats an overpayment, or worth it to us, but something to think about. especially with our wealth of picks... even making that kind of deal would still leave us with at least one pick in every round, but wed have a crack at a potential superstar

Old
03-28-2013, 12:35 AM
Holden Caulfield
Perennial Skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenJet89 View Post
i posted this on a trade thread. just wondering what ppl think

this year the top 5-6 guys in the draft really look like they could be franchise players.... while the rest of the draft is still deep, this is where teams are going to get almost sure fire difference makers for the long term

lets just say in theory the jets would love to add another young franchise type player, instead of a couple OK prospects

what would it cost to get us into the top 6 of this years draft???

id prefer it didnt include any players, but strictly picks for discussions sake. i have no knowledge on how previous trades were valued

could something like our first (21-24) and two second rounders, move us into the top six? maybe we also add one of our extra picks in either the 3rd or 4th round also?

i dont know if thats an overpayment, or worth it to us, but something to think about. especially with our wealth of picks... even making that kind of deal would still leave us with at least one pick in every round, but wed have a crack at a potential superstar
Not even close! Take for example it cost 2nd's to go from #16 to #8 in 05. And that's not even with any clear levels separating there.

There's also this.
http://blogs.thescore.com/nhl/2012/0...-at-the-draft/

No possible way to get that high without offering roster players.

PS: We only have one pick in the 4th round. We have 2 2014 4th rounders, but just one in 2013.

Old
03-28-2013, 12:58 AM
DEANYOUNGBLOOD17

We are outside looking in...........Wpg Jet draft pick is 15-25........or should i say 30 .......... for the 0.89% we win the cup

Old
03-28-2013, 01:14 AM
untouchable21
You've been TROUBA'D

We're not going to get a top pick without trading a player from the roster. Only ones who might be considered are Burmistrov (possibly) or Byfuglien (unlikely)

Depending on how high we're talking, it's probably not worth it.

Old
03-28-2013, 10:37 AM
mondo3

vCash: 571
If our scouts are doing their job, then there's a decent chance that one of our 2nd round picks turns out to be an impact player.

Old
03-28-2013, 11:21 AM
JetsHomer

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by mondo3 View Post
If our scouts are doing their job, then there's a decent chance that one of our 2nd round picks turns out to be an impact player.
The odds of getting an impact player in the second round are like less then five percents. Even with three picks, an impact player is pretty unlikely

Old
03-28-2013, 11:57 AM
Grind
Stomacheache AllStar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying High View Post
The odds of getting an impact player in the second round are like less then five percents. Even with three picks, an impact player is pretty unlikely
VERY unlikely. with three picks, your still only at about 75% chance of getting a "career" nhl'er (3rd/4thliner who plays 3 + seasons).

People have completely unrealistic ideas of draft success rates.

Old
03-28-2013, 12:10 PM
Flair Hay

vCash: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grind View Post
VERY unlikely. with three picks, your still only at about 75% chance of getting a "career" nhl'er (3rd/4thliner who plays 3 + seasons).

People have completely unrealistic ideas of draft success rates.
Definitely wouldn't mind one of the non compensatory 2nds + our 1st to move up into the teens if we could.

Old
03-28-2013, 12:11 PM
GermanJetsFan
*PEW* *PEW* *PEW*

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhay1987 View Post
Definitely wouldn't mind one of the non compensatory 2nds + our 1st to move up into the teens if we could.
no way someone deals their top 10 pick for a around 20 + 2nd round pick. Why would you do that?

Old
03-30-2013, 11:03 PM
jetkarma

Not advocating , not promoting , but speculating , if we lose the back to back NY games all of a sudden we could see a slide not only out of the playoffs but back to a pick in the 8 or so range.

There is and will be a log jam with desperate teams at the Jets level or just below . Seeing how we have responded to pressure games lately it could be a dramatic reversal of draft positions .

Old
03-30-2013, 11:16 PM
Lux Aurumque*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whileee View Post
I've read very mixed reviews about Lazar. Why do you think he's such a good prospect?
Lazar has had some issues with consistency, but he's young and has plenty of time to develop. When he's on, he can absolutely take over a game. He's insanely skilled. I'd say he's a surefire 2nd liner with the potential to be a first liner. He won't be the kind of guy to jump right into the NHL, but if he's given time to develop, he will be a star.

Old
03-30-2013, 11:19 PM
ps241
The Danish Dash!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Airlines View Post
Lazar has had some issues with consistency, but he's young and has plenty of time to develop. When he's on, he can absolutely take over a game. He's insanely skilled. I'd say he's a surefire 2nd liner with the potential to be a first liner. He won't be the kind of guy to jump right into the NHL, but if he's given time to develop, he will be a star.
He had a very nice goal last night with a backhand snipe when I was watching the Oil Kings on TV

Old
04-01-2013, 09:40 PM
jetkarma

6 teams are 2 or more games under .500 ,Philadelphia -2, Buffalo-4 , TB-3 , Calgary-3 , Colorado -7and Florida-8. Winnipeg is plus 1.

We lose tomorrow we are .500 and then play Montreal Thursday and the dreaded afternoon game against Philadelphia on Saturday . Washington plays Carolina tomorrow which means one of them gets 2 points , and maybe the other gets 1 point.

Things could very very different by 5 on Saturday...

Old
04-01-2013, 10:05 PM
Flair Hay

vCash: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanJetsFan View Post
no way someone deals their top 10 pick for a around 20 + 2nd round pick. Why would you do that?
Teens = 13 to 19. Not the same as top ten.

Old
04-01-2013, 10:44 PM
Bob E

Not sure if this has been talked about, but Barkov has a shoulder injury that's ending his season.

Think it impacts his draft position?

Old
04-01-2013, 11:11 PM
jetkarma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob E View Post
Not sure if this has been talked about, but Barkov has a shoulder injury that's ending his season.

Think it impacts his draft position?
Not likely unless it is really severe. Look at Galchenyuk last year.

Old
04-01-2013, 11:28 PM
Bob E

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetkarma View Post
Not likely unless it is really severe. Look at Galchenyuk last year.
Concern would be he may develop a chronic shoulder issue.

Koekkoek may be the best example from last year and he may have moved up in the draft. So likely a non-issue.

Will be interested in how he tests at the combine.

Old
04-01-2013, 11:32 PM
GoldenJet89

vCash: 362
Depends. Certain management groups might get a little scared. but theres no way we see any severe drop. the kid is too talented. as long as the doctors say they expect a full recovery he will be a high pick

Old
04-02-2013, 11:02 AM
mondo3

vCash: 571
If he falls to us around 17th pick, we should go for it

Old
04-02-2013, 11:16 AM
Huffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mondo3 View Post
If he falls to us around 17th pick, we should go for it
Barkov at 17? I really can't see how he falls out of the top 5 myself. Strange things can happen, but I REALLY can't see him falling out of the top 10.

Old
04-02-2013, 11:21 AM
cheswick
Non-registered User

vCash: 574
Where do you guys think Max Domi goes?

Old
04-02-2013, 11:49 AM
untouchable21
You've been TROUBA'D

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheswick View Post
Where do you guys think Max Domi goes?
I'd venture to guess that Domi will go somewhere between 20 - 30.

Players I could see slipping on draft day are Nichushkin, Shinkaruk, Pulock and Ristolainen.

Look for Jimmy Lodge, Jason Dickinson, Valentin Zykov, Frederik Gauthier, Curtis Lazar and Ryan Hartman to be high on the JETS list. All players I would not be disappointed with, depending on where they select of course.

Old
04-02-2013, 04:14 PM
jetkarma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huffer View Post
Barkov at 17? I really can't see how he falls out of the top 5 myself. Strange things can happen, but I REALLY can't see him falling out of the top 10.
We could be drafting around that area though. As I mentioned earlier a lot may change by Saturday evening.

Closed Thread