HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Kiprusoff to Toronto talks "Rolling"

Closed Thread

Old
04-02-2013, 03:58 PM
blasted_Sabre
Global Moderator
Warden of the North

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordieHoweHatTrick View Post
Thats what I'm worried about. He's been terrific all career but not this season. Whatever the case, starter should be Reimer's job to lose.
It is Reimer's job. This is about ensuring we have capable goaltending if Reimer gets injured.

Old
04-02-2013, 03:59 PM
7even
Deus Ex Machina

Quote:
Originally Posted by blasted_Sabre View Post
Because if Reimer gets injured our playoff starter is Ben Scrivens. Take your pick for our backup in that case.

Our goaltending looks a hell of a lot better as

1a - Reimer
1b - Kipper
3 - Scrivens
Yes, but are we really going to carry 3 goalies?

I will personally send Nonis for a long walk off a short pier if he waives Scrivens.

Old
04-02-2013, 03:59 PM
bobbyflex

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
He has put up consistent numbers through his entire career. Where's the hate coming for Stemps? I wouldn't want him on my top line, but he's a very solid choice for a 2/3 liner.
Stajan, Stempniak and Blake. The three players that would cause me to tear out my hair

Old
04-02-2013, 04:00 PM
GordieHoweHatTrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
He has put up consistent numbers through his entire career. Where's the hate coming for Stemps? I wouldn't want him on my top line, but he's a very solid choice for a 2/3 liner.
Leafs traded Steen to get him

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyflex View Post
Stajan, Stempniak and Blake. The three players that would cause me to tear out my hair
Same

Old
04-02-2013, 04:01 PM
blankall

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyflex View Post
I think the issue with Stajan and Stemps is that they shouldn't be relied to be the go to guys. As far as depth, they've been very solid for the Flames this year.

Old
johnny_rudeboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordieHoweHatTrick View Post
Leafs traded Steen to get him

Same
Steen + Cola

Old
FlowNoMo

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7even View Post
Yes, but are we really going to carry 3 goalies?

I will personally send Nonis for a long walk off a short pier if he waives Scrivens.
Don't believe there is a roster limit this year after the trade deadline. So yeah, we can.

Old
04-02-2013, 04:02 PM
rojac
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by david999 View Post
Kipper would be over 5 million against the cap next year. His salary is only 1.5 mil.
It might be possible to get Calgary to agree to retain half of Kipper's cap hit. It would only cost them half of what's he owed for the remainder of this year and $750,000 next year. I seriously doubt that Calgary will be anywehere near the cap next year and in fact might find such a phantom cap hit useful in getting to the floor. Toronto could toss in a midling prospect or an extra late round draft pick.

Old
04-02-2013, 04:04 PM
blankall

Quote:
Originally Posted by rojac View Post
It might be possible to get Calgary to agree to retain half of Kipper's cap hit. It would only cost them half of what's he owed for the remainder of this year and $750,000 next year. I seriously doubt that Calgary will be anywehere near the cap next year and in fact might find such a phantom cap hit useful in getting to the floor. Toronto could toss in a midling prospect or an extra late round draft pick.
Might actually happen. Here the salary is so low that selling the idea to the owners won't be so hard.

Old
04-02-2013, 04:06 PM
DoubleDose86

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by david999 View Post
Kipper would be over 5 million against the cap next year. His salary is only 1.5 mil.
Ok yea I knew that to, just kept hearing 1.5 everywhere guess it got stuck in my head.

Old
04-02-2013, 04:07 PM
Stewie Griffin
Bruinswagoner #4762

vCash: 150
Quote:
Not a bad idea.

Our owners have been remarkably stingy lately, but if there's a way to retain 1/2 the cap hit (but none of the salary) I can't necessarily see a problem with that.

Old
04-02-2013, 04:08 PM
madmike77

Quote:
If they didn't eat some of JBo's salary (St. Louis asked and Calgary said no) I'm guessing they won't eat any of Kipper's - especially when they could just buy him out for 1.5 million.

Old
04-02-2013, 04:12 PM
LEAFANFORLIFE23

@ reporterchris

The #leafs are still believed to be in on Miikka Kiprusoff. Team is also on the lookout for help on the blue-line.

I am starting to think this deal, is going to happen I think Nonis would have moved on otherwise

Old
04-02-2013, 04:14 PM
SmellOfVictory

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmike77 View Post
If they didn't eat some of JBo's salary (St. Louis asked and Calgary said no) I'm guessing they won't eat any of Kipper's - especially when they could just buy him out for 1.5 million.
Eating 750k in order to gain assets for a nearly-retired tender is substantially better than buying out a nearly-retired tender for 1.5 million and getting nothing in return.

Old
04-02-2013, 04:15 PM
blankall

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmike77 View Post
Different situation. Kipper's contract is so front loaded, that there's very little salary there.

In this case, the Flames could keep 50% of his salary (750k) and 50% of his cap (2.9+ million). Under the new CBA, it's all about proportions. So when you have a guy like Kipper who's actual salary is about 1/4 his cap hit, every dollar in salary you keep results in almost 4x the amount in cap savings. For non-salary cap teams, it becomes big leverage in a trade.

Old
04-02-2013, 04:15 PM
Pure West

Does anyone actually believe Kiprusoff is gonna be a happy mentor and sit on the bench? The guy said to his country that he would refuse a selection to the olympic team if he wasn't guaranteed to be the starter. Even Luongo didn't do that as he was expecting to be the backup in 2006 and 2010 going in, and Finland's goaltending is probably stronger and deeper than Canada's.

If you trade for Kiprusoff, they will expect him to start, as I don't see why he would waive to go there and sit on the bench. He's been awful this season and that's probably the worst option for the Leafs. If they want a vet to not play who's had some playoff success, they're better off with Khabibulin or Giguere or something like that.

If they're serious about getting a big time goaltender to improve their chances in the playoffs for the next few years, then they will probably have to go with you know who....

Old
04-02-2013, 04:18 PM
tikkanen5rings*

Kipper won't settle for a backup role.
He get's all butthurt and *****y if he has to sit

Old
04-02-2013, 04:19 PM
JS19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borthy View Post
Does anyone actually believe Kiprusoff is gonna be a happy mentor and sit on the bench? The guy said to his country that he would refuse a selection to the olympic team if he wasn't guaranteed to be the starter. Even Luongo didn't do that as he was expecting to be the backup in 2006 and 2010 going in, and Finland's goaltending is probably stronger and deeper than Canada's.

If you trade for Kiprusoff, they will expect him to start, as I don't see why he would waive to go there and sit on the bench. He's been awful this season and that's probably the worst option for the Leafs. If they want a vet to not play who's had some playoff success, they're better off with Khabibulin or Giguere or something like that.

If they're serious about getting a big time goaltender to improve their chances in the playoffs for the next few years, then they will probably have to go with you know who....
To play the devil's advocate, you're saying that people can't change...? Also, your post sounds a lot like you're trying to hype up the value of Luongo, except that he already denied a trade to Toronto (according to rumours), and that Toronto is not going to give up the assets to acquire a goaltender of Luongo's ilk.

Old
04-02-2013, 04:20 PM
Stewie Griffin
Bruinswagoner #4762

Quote:
Does anyone actually believe Kiprusoff is gonna be a happy mentor and sit on the bench?
I'm sure that will be discussed during the talks the Leafs are having with Kipper's camp.

If he won't be happy, he'll make it known.

Old
04-02-2013, 04:21 PM
Zoombie

Quote:
Leafs are rich they can just compliance buy out for $1.5 mill, basically peanuts for that franchise

Old
04-02-2013, 04:30 PM
ForzaZuffa
Don't stare at it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoombie View Post
Leafs are rich they can just compliance buy out for $1.5 mill, basically peanuts for that franchise
Problem is we have potentially two bad contracts, aside from Komisarek that we may wanna buy out in 2014. Not to mention, we can get way more serviceable players on bad contracts that we could comp buyout in 2014

Old
04-02-2013, 04:38 PM
blankall

Quote:

Kipper has to be able to see the writing on the wall.

His play has been awful, and Calgary keeps bringing in younger goalie prospects. Kipper's choice at this point is move on or retire from the NHL. He may want one last chance at the playoffs, even if that means being patient and waiting for his opportunities on the bench. With Toronto's situation, there is a very good chance Kipper gets multiple opportunitie to take over the #1 spot.

Old
04-02-2013, 04:39 PM
Stewie Griffin
Bruinswagoner #4762

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForzaZuffa View Post
Problem is we have potentially two bad contracts, aside from Komisarek that we may wanna buy out in 2014. Not to mention, we can get way more serviceable players on bad contracts that we could comp buyout in 2014
Kipper for Komisarek and a 1st?

Old
04-02-2013, 04:39 PM
Poignant Discussion
I tell it like it is

vCash: 1400
Send a message via MSN to Poignant Discussion Send a message via Yahoo to Poignant Discussion
Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Dion View Post
Really? He's been excellent for us. That whole line has actually. They play the toughest minutes and get the best results. I like him, so I'm fine keeping him. Just thought he might be a piece the Leafs could use. Excellent defensively and he'd be tied for 3rd in scoring with the Leafs. He's a +1 on a terrible team and plays top competition every night. I know he's streaky, but he still plays a role when he's not scoring. Maybe Glencross is just making him look good. They've played together all year.
The problem with Stemp is pretty simple, he came here and collected a paycheck and did very little else. When you have 8 or 9 players doing the same it leaves a very bad taste in your mouth. Not to mention the cost we paid to get him. On this team he might be better, sure.

But the bad taste lingers for me anyways

Old
04-02-2013, 04:41 PM
The Saurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie Griffin View Post
Kipper for Komisarek and a 1st?

Closed Thread