HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Gardiner and 2013 1st for Flyers 2013 1st+?

Old
04-02-2013, 04:43 PM
JayRosehillforMVP
snubbed again

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by david999 View Post
Why would Toronto do the op original deal? Gardner has already proved he can play in the NHL at a good level. We do not know where Philly picks, or if that prospect will ever play in the NHL. As for Couts, he is WAY overrated on the boards.
If you actually read the OP instead of skimming, you'd see I said if the Flyers 1st is a top 5 pick.
And how is Couturier overrated? I'm genuinely curious. How many Flyers games have you watched the past two years? Does he not have high potential? Do scouts lie? I thought playing well at the NHL level at 18 was pretty impressive, but maybe that's just me.

JayRosehillforMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 04:51 PM
William Nylander*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyers7 View Post
If you actually read the OP instead of skimming, you'd see I said if the Flyers 1st is a top 5 pick.
And how is Couturier overrated? I'm genuinely curious. How many Flyers games have you watched the past two years? Does he not have high potential? Do scouts lie? I thought playing well at the NHL level at 18 was pretty impressive, but maybe that's just me.
Didn't you know? Most Leaf fans just base their opinions off stats, no need to try actually watching the player

William Nylander* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 04:54 PM
bobbyflex

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyboy8920 View Post
Couts + 2nd + 4th
for
Gards + 1st

Is the likely value; however, I would rather keep Jake and see what happens.

good for both

bobbyflex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 05:09 PM
Caius Merlyn

It's somewhat amusing that now that the leafs have traded away luke schenn he is exactly the player that they need.

He's a hard hitting dman that shoots right handed I believe and would work great with phaneuf.

Brayden schenn would also make a great 1/2 punch with kadri down the middle if the Leafs could move grabovski out...

Funny how things go sometimes.

All in jest of course.

Caius Merlyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 05:15 PM
Eyedea
The Legend Continues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caius Merlyn View Post
It's somewhat amusing that now that the leafs have traded away luke schenn he is exactly the player that they need.

He's a hard hitting dman that shoots right handed I believe and would work great with phaneuf.

Brayden schenn would also make a great 1/2 punch with kadri down the middle if the Leafs could move grabovski out...

All in jest of course.
Nope. As much as I like Luke, I don't think he'd be a great choice to pair with Phaneuf.

Eyedea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 05:16 PM
Canada4Gold

Op deal would be more of a draft day deal, and would depend on how high the pick is.

I wouldn't be opposed to giving up Gardiner and our 1st if we could move into the picking MacKinnon, Drouin, Jones, Barkov range. I think that's a deal that I do, but not until that pick comes up on draft day to make sure we get who we want.

Canada4Gold is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 05:19 PM
AlMo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prongo View Post
No, the talent at that spot have greater value than Gardiner. Mackinnon, Drouin, Barkov, even Nurse some may argue. Gardiner has concussion issues as well, Philly never does well with them.
At least that takes the Flyers out of the Malkin sweepstakes next offseason

AlMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 05:21 PM
Ralphy*

vCash: 1435
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caius Merlyn View Post

All in jest of course.
He didn't work well with Phaneuf when he was here and it was tried.
I'd also way rather Grabo over B.Schenn.

This post isn't as hostile as it seems, though.

Ralphy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 05:22 PM
Kyle Doobas*

vCash: 159
Something around Gardiner/Couturier would remind me a lot of the JVR/Schenn trade, which seems to have worked out pretty well for both teams.

Kyle Doobas* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Brewsky
King Of The Ice Mugs

Send a message via ICQ to Brewsky Send a message via AIM to Brewsky Send a message via MSN to Brewsky Send a message via Yahoo to Brewsky Send a message via Skype™ to Brewsky
Gardiner for Couts will be Schenn for JVR all over again.

Tor proposes it, Phi says no, then it happens in real life and Phi is asking 'how the hell did we only get that'.

Doubt this trade happens in real life though.

Brewsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Issacar

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordieHoweHatTrick View Post
I think we can agree that a Gardiner/Couturier swap can be worked out between the two clubs
Flyers can't score goal and they will trade one of their primary scoring for years to come? How does it make sense?

Issacar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 05:23 PM
Trafalgar McLaw
Waive Dallas Eakins

Is it just me or do the Leafs fans sour very quickly on their anointed future top pairing dmen? Aulie, Schenn, and now maybe Gardiner.

Trafalgar McLaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 05:24 PM
Saul Alinsky
\_(ツ)_/

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyboy8920 View Post
Couts + 2nd + 4th
for
Gards + 1st

Is the likely value; however, I would rather keep Jake and see what happens.
Gardiner plays a more difficult position, and has higher potential. Couturier is probably more likely to hit potential. Basically, we're looking at a potential top-pairing defenseman vs. a potential 2nd/3rd line shut down player.

Cut out the first from Toronto, and it's a lot more even. Would love to have Couturier replace Grabovski on the checking line. I'm confident Carlyle could make him into a top shut-down player. Still, his lack of offensive skill is a concern.

Saul Alinsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 05:25 PM
Issacar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icewind Dale View Post
Gardiner plays a more difficult position, and has higher potential. Couturier is probably more likely to hit potential. Basically, we're looking at a potential top-pairing defenseman vs. a potential 2nd/3rd line shut down player.

Cut out the first from Toronto, and it's a lot more even. Would love to have Couturier replace Grabovski on the checking line. I'm confident Carlyle could make him into a top shut-down player. Still, his lack of offensive skill is a concern.
Couturier will be a top 3 forward.

Old
04-02-2013, 05:26 PM
Ralphy*

vCash: 1435
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnoctophas View Post
Is it just me or do the Leafs fans sour very quickly on their anointed future top pairing dmen? Aulie, Schenn, and now maybe Gardiner.
I personally only soured on Schenn, but was never a big fan in the first place. I was sad to see Aulie go and I still don't really like Ashton despite watching a fair bit of Marlies.

Ralphy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
kamosko
Ginger Jesus

vCash: 50
Couts for Gards would be a good deal to build around, helps both teams and have similar value.

kamosko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Eyedea
The Legend Continues

Quote:
If we could get a solid 2-way centre for something that is now becoming redundant in our system, then we do it. If Gardiner doesn't get traded for a premium position, then he stays. I don't think anybody is souring on him and expecting him to be dealt.

Eyedea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 05:27 PM
Canada4Gold

Quote:
This is true.

I would have rathered have Barkov or MacKinnon than Gardiner and a 15-20 pick last year as well though.

We have Rielly now, and pretty solid D developing in the minors. We need another top 2 center behind Kadri and Barkov or Mackinnon would fill that need.

I don't think we're gonna see anyone trade a top 5 pick in this draft though

Canada4Gold is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 05:28 PM
Issacar

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamosko View Post
Couts for Gards would be a good deal to build around, helps both teams and have similar value.
Couturier has a higher ceiling hte Gardiner.

Old
04-02-2013, 05:29 PM
Caius Merlyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralphy View Post
He didn't work well with Phaneuf when he was here and it was tried.
I'd also way rather Grabo over B.Schenn.

This post isn't as hostile as it seems, though.
It wasn't meant to be hostile at all.

I really think luke now that he is maturing would be good with phaneuf. He's a defensive oriented player that is very physical which Carlyle would like and he's right handed and young enough to grow with the leafs current core.

Brayden is gritty and would compliment kessel as he is physical and defensively aware enough to make up for kessel's shortcomings. Kadri would then be left to lead the second line and bozak makes for an excellent third line C with perhaps mcclement shifting to wing to form the basis of a great defensive third line.

Seriously, they would both fit well. I know it wouldn't happen, and the price for both would be exorbitant for the leafs.

Anyhow I don't mean any of this in a hostile manner. Just simple discussion topics

Caius Merlyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 05:31 PM
david999

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyers7 View Post
I have watched plenty of Flyer games, that is why I made these comments.

david999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 05:32 PM
Saul Alinsky
\_(ツ)_/

Quote:
Aulie wasn't soured on. He was considered redundant with Schenn in the fold, although we hoped he could anchor the second line. Schenn was rushed, in my opinion. Was my favourite player, but with the way he was bombing in his last year here, JVR looked like an attractive replacement. Word has it that he didn't mesh well with the team, either.

I don't think anyone has soured on Gardiner. We hope he'll become a top-pairing guy who can anchor the second-line. Our only issue with him right now is that he's soft and his defensive game is lacking. He could turn out really good or into a Hedican-type player (still good, but more of a second-pairing guy). Really all depends on how his defensive game progresses. If all goes well, Phaneuf, Rielly and Gardiner will make up the top three in a few years. Rielly looks really, really good, though, and may make Gardiner expendable.

Old
04-02-2013, 05:36 PM
Saul Alinsky
\_(ツ)_/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Issacar View Post
Couturier will be a top 3 forward.
I don't see it.

Old
04-02-2013, 05:36 PM
kamosko
Ginger Jesus

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Issacar View Post
Couturier has a higher ceiling hte Gardiner.
One could also says the same about Gardiner, basically it then turns into pissing match but the value is there.

kamosko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 05:38 PM
JayRosehillforMVP
snubbed again

Quote:
Originally Posted by david999 View Post
I have watched plenty of Flyer games, that is why I made these comments.
Since your mind is clearly superior to the proffesionals, why is Couturier overrated?

JayRosehillforMVP is offline   Reply With Quote