HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Geek Emporium
Geek Emporium Discuss computers, hardware, software, electronics, video games, internet, etc.

Planning to build a new computer? Read Here first! #5

Closed Thread

Old
03-30-2013, 09:35 PM
SniperHF
Random Red Couch....

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by guinness View Post

I guess the bottom line: Are the loading/transfer times improvements worth it?

A laptop I could totally understand the case for an SSD, but a desktop I've still not seeing all the benefits, relative to their cost/storage ratio.
I think so, but I'm also the guy who ran RAID-0 before SSD's were available.

Also I do full image backups / restores of my OS partition a lot, the SSD helps there.

It's purely a luxury item but I think drives for just the OS are perfect right now. Everything feels faster. I wouldn't pay for a 512GB drive though. The value of actual large files stored doesn't have the same impact of getting the OS on there.

Old
03-30-2013, 10:02 PM
Puck
Ninja

Quote:
I have a question for people with SSD's. I know that the transfer speeds are fast, relative to platters, but does everyone shut off their computer at night, rather than put their desktop to sleep? I've been putting my desktop to sleep ever since Vista, and it only takes several seconds to wake up, a cold boot is a different story, but even there 8 is an improvement over 7, but I don't reboot that often, save updates (current uptime is over 13 days).

A laptop I could totally understand the case for an SSD, but a desktop I've still not seeing all the benefits, relative to their cost/storage ratio.
If you are happy and used to your current PC with a regular hard drive, I don't see any reason to rush out and get an SSD. I'd easily suggest getting an SSD on a new PC purchase. Although if you have money, I think it is probably a decent way to upgrade an older PC or laptop too. Yes the improvements are noticeable, but if you're not suffering now, you can wait for the new PC IMO. Once you get one though, you get spoiled and it might be tough to go back. If you aren't used to it, then it shouldn't matter. (in other words, it's a nice luxury, but you won't die without it). And I shut my PC off every night, booting up the next day is done in a flash. I don't know why MS would prefer we don't shut it off; is there a benefit to that?

Old
03-30-2013, 11:08 PM
guinness
those were the days

I put my desktop to sleep, because I'd rather be able to wake up in the morning, and have my computer operational within a few seconds, and I've always thought it saves a bit of wear and tear on the components, but that's probably wishful thinking (my BIOS is set to run my case fans at quiet, but when starting from an off state, they run at full blast, until the BIOS kicks in).

I do think that SSD is the wave of the future, but when I could walk into Target today, and saw that they had a 3 TB external drive for $140, and a 128 GB SSD is close that price, perhaps a bit cheaper, I was wondering if it's a nice thing to have, or a real benefit for desktops at this point, depending on personal usage.

For me, it's perhaps I'm one of those "post-PC" types, and other than gobs of storage and bigger monitors, there is so much I can generally just do with a browser/tablet/netbook.

One of my co-workers has both an iMac and MBA with SSD's, and he loves them, but I don't make as much as he does either. I guess another way I look at it, is that if I was building a desktop today, I'd spring for SSD, but when I built this rig in 2010, it was a definite luxury.

Old
03-31-2013, 12:38 AM
LickTheEnvelope
Decertified Poster

Quote:
I have a question for people with SSD's. I know that the transfer speeds are fast, relative to platters, but does everyone shut off their computer at night, rather than put their desktop to sleep? I've been putting my desktop to sleep ever since Vista, and it only takes several seconds to wake up, a cold boot is a different story, but even there 8 is an improvement over 7, but I don't reboot that often, save updates (current uptime is over 13 days).

Well I have 8 Tb's of storage... my SSD is 120 Gb and simply for the boot and for some programs I want to run quicker. And yes they run noticeably faster.

Old
04-02-2013, 11:43 AM
BeBen*

**** me...guess i should have expected it with the way it was dizzy chained together in the back but ****

Setup for my last monitor was

DVI -> Display Port Active Adapter

Active Adapter -> Mini Display Port Adapter

Mini Display Port Adapter -> Video Card

the small end of the mini display port adapter that goes in the video card snapped right off, now i just went ahead and bought a DVI -> Mini Display Port active adapter but it's still 45$ with shipping and taxes

Can't live without 3 monitors i'm going nuts and it only been 20 minutes lol

Old
04-02-2013, 01:11 PM
Franck
Insolent Upstart

vCash: 50
Haven't even put my new SSD in the computer before I've managed to **** something up

Got a new 2TB regular 7200rpm drive alongside the new SSD, decided to put it into the computer beforehand so I could move everything important from my old system HDD over to it before I replace that with the SSD. Of course Seagate sent me to the wrong guide so I ended up installing Windows on the non-system drive.

So computer people, how do I completely reformat a harddrive without installing Windows on it? I tried the disk manager in XP, but the computer still finds two installs of XP while booting so I'm guessing that doesn't wipe files related to a Windows installation. All "how to"-guides I can find by googling only talk about what to do when you want to reformat and install Windows, which I absolutely do not want to do.

Old
04-02-2013, 04:18 PM
nmain37*

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmain37 View Post
Alright here is the computer I plan on building:

Let me know what you guys think:

Fractal Design Define XL R2 FD-CA-DEF-XL-R2-BL Black Pearl Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case $139.99

ASUS P8Z77-V PRO LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard $205.99

Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 77W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 4000 BX80637I53570K $226.99

CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9 $57.49

Corsair Neutron Series GTX CSSD-N240GBGTXB-BK 2.5" 240GB SATA III Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) $219.99

CORSAIR HX Series HX750 750W ATX12V 2.3 / EPS12V 2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Modular Active PFC ... $119.99

EVGA 02G-P4-2680-KR GeForce GTX 680 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card $479.99

Grand Total: $1,436.43

I might go with cheaper graphic card but my end goal is the EVGA.

I will also end up going with two SSD'S or a bigger one later on. Only thing that will take up memory is games as I don't download anything.
Is this good to go? I am ordering today. I changed the motherboard to pro as it has wifi and also the other one was out of stock. Is everything compatible? I did research and from what I can tell yes.

Old
04-02-2013, 04:25 PM
nmain37*

Well I am buying most of it today.

Here is what I got for this load.

CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9B

Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 77W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 4000 BX80637I53570K

Fractal Design Define XL R2 FD-CA-DEF-XL-R2-BL Black Pearl Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case

ASUS P8Z77-V PRO LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

My question is are all these parts compatible?

And any opinion would be nice?

Old
04-02-2013, 04:39 PM
Benny Lava

I probably would have gone with a Samsung 840 Pro for the SSD just because of how reliable they are, but I'm sure the Corsair is fine. Everything else is great.

Old
04-02-2013, 04:43 PM
nmain37*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benny Lava View Post
I probably would have gone with a Samsung 840 Pro for the SSD just because of how reliable they are, but I'm sure the Corsair is fine. Everything else is great.

So post 508 is good to go?

I am excited but nervous I don't want to **** up.

And I was thinking I might review the SSD and go with smaller SSD and 2TB hardrive

But that will be the next batch of items.

Old
04-02-2013, 08:34 PM
SniperHF
Random Red Couch....

Quote:
So post 508 is good to go?

I am excited but nervous I don't want to **** up.
Yes it is, all set.

Old
04-02-2013, 08:47 PM
nmain37*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SniperHF View Post
Yes it is, all set.
alright thanks,

I then realized some of it is only 30 day return policy while that is usually good. I would not be buying the rest of it until may. I cannot risk having those parts sit and then finding out they don't work after the 30 day return limit is reached. So I am going to just wait for my next payday and buy it all at once and thanks for the post about the samsung SSD I ended up choosing to go with that one instead.

The motherboard I have read some reviews on newegg. seems to have some trouble while one reviewer seemed to post the same thing multiple times has anyone used this board and had any problem?

Old
04-02-2013, 08:49 PM
SniperHF
Random Red Couch....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franck View Post

Got a new 2TB regular 7200rpm drive alongside the new SSD, decided to put it into the computer beforehand so I could move everything important from my old system HDD over to it before I replace that with the SSD. Of course Seagate sent me to the wrong guide so I ended up installing Windows on the non-system drive.

So computer people, how do I completely reformat a harddrive without installing Windows on it? I tried the disk manager in XP, but the computer still finds two installs of XP while booting so I'm guessing that doesn't wipe files related to a Windows installation. All "how to"-guides I can find by googling only talk about what to do when you want to reformat and install Windows, which I absolutely do not want to do.
Let me see if I have this right, you have some older HD with XP on it? A new 2TB drive, and a new SSD? You want the OS on the SSD and the 2TB drive to have no OS? Once the 2TB drive has no OS you want to store all your files on it from your old drive?

While installing XP to your SSD, I believe you can configure other file systems you are not installing on.

At this screen:

From there, delete the partition of the windows copy you don't want. Then proceed to create your new install on the SSD. Just make sure you don't delete the partition of something you want.

Also, unless you have a limited amount of SATA ports you can keep your old drive anyway.

Old
04-02-2013, 08:53 PM
SniperHF
Random Red Couch....

Quote:
The motherboard I have read some reviews on newegg. seems to have some trouble while one reviewer seemed to post the same thing multiple times has anyone used this board and had any problem?
Meh, every board has reviews like that. I own the non pro version of that board, it's fine. Asrock seems to be the popular motherboard brand these days, as opposed to Asus, but I think it's mostly hair splitting from the enthusiast community.

EDIT: depending on how long you wait, the landscape might change. Intel is releasing new CPU's soon.

You'll pay a little more for the newer stuff as the launch price is always higher. And you'll get to deal with the fun of being an early adopter.

Old
04-03-2013, 05:02 AM
Franck
Insolent Upstart

vCash: 50
Quote:
Let me see if I have this right, you have some older HD with XP on it? A new 2TB drive, and a new SSD? You want the OS on the SSD and the 2TB drive to have no OS? Once the 2TB drive has no OS you want to store all your files on it from your old drive?
That was what I wanted to do, yes. I managed to sort something out so I've got everything up and running now anyway.

I absolutely love how quiet the SSD is, feels weird to use a computer and not hear the HDD spinning.

Edit: I've got a minor issue though, XP thinks the non-SSD is the system drive, despite being installed on the SSD. Could I change that without having to do everything all over again?

Last edited by Franck: 04-03-2013 at 05:13 AM.
Old
04-03-2013, 11:57 AM
CanadienDude
Katie B.

thought i'd show off the new pc

20130403_141511.jpg

20130403_141636.jpg

Old
04-03-2013, 11:59 AM
SolidSnakeUS

Cold cathode? What is this, 2004? .

Old
04-03-2013, 12:01 PM
CanadienDude
Katie B.

not a cathode, but having some fun

Old
04-03-2013, 01:56 PM
SniperHF
Random Red Couch....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franck View Post
Edit: I've got a minor issue though, XP thinks the non-SSD is the system drive, despite being installed on the SSD. Could I change that without having to do everything all over again?
Does it matter?

The 2tb drive probably has MBR data on it. I personally would just leave it. Actually not only would I leave it, I would install a backup OS on the drive in case your SSD takes a dump.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadienDude View Post
thought i'd show off the new pc
Heh, I have the same case and power supply.

Old
04-07-2013, 10:49 AM
Diskothek

Quote:

CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9B
I hope yours comes in better shape than mine did.

Old
04-13-2013, 11:57 PM
Diskothek

And we're off. My build is completely different from my earlier post after getting advice from friends and doing my own research, here is what I ended up with:

CPU: Intel Core i5-3350P 3.1GHz Quad-Core Processor ($169.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: MSI H77MA-G43 Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($59.97 @ Outlet PC)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($54.98 @ Outlet PC)
Video Card: HIS Radeon HD 7850 2GB Video Card ($179.99 @ Newegg)
Case: NZXT Source 210 Elite (White) ATX Mid Tower Case ($43.13 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair CX 600W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($59.99 @ Microcenter)
Optical Drive: LG GH24NS95 DVD/CD Writer ($17.98 @ Outlet PC)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($89.98 @ Outlet PC)
Keyboard: Lite-On SK-1788/BS Wired Standard Keyboard ($12.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $768.98

Roughly this price. I managed $40 in rebates/promo offers and a free copy of Tomb Raider and Bioshock: Infinite came with the video card.

Old
04-14-2013, 12:10 AM
SniperHF
Random Red Couch....

Any particular reason you went with a micro ATX board?

I probably would have stuck with the AMD build, because of future upgrade potential. Intel is releasing all new stuff here in a few months.

Old
04-14-2013, 04:38 PM
Diskothek

Quote:
Any particular reason you went with a micro ATX board?

I probably would have stuck with the AMD build, because of future upgrade potential. Intel is releasing all new stuff here in a few months.
I think at the time I bought it it was the cheapest H77 board I could find. That and I'm far from a computer whiz so things like crossfire and overclocking and whatnot aren't that important for me.

I'm sure there are things that could've been done better but for my first time I'm pretty happy with how things turned out. And my games look so much better now!

Old
04-14-2013, 04:41 PM
LickTheEnvelope
Decertified Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diskothek View Post
I think at the time I bought it it was the cheapest H77 board I could find. That and I'm far from a computer whiz so things like crossfire and overclocking and whatnot aren't that important for me.

I'm sure there are things that could've been done better but for my first time I'm pretty happy with how things turned out. And my games look so much better now!
Decent little build Disko

Old
04-14-2013, 07:48 PM
guinness
those were the days

I bought a new laptop today (didn't need it all though), but it will end up replacing my circa 2007 Toshiba laptop and circa 2008 Acer netbook, but I figured it was hard to pass up on a 13" ultrabook for $380 (close to $415 with CA's glorious sales tax).

Probably the oddest thing, is that it's a Dell, and I got it BB. (or maybe not, they both are hurting for sales)

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Dell+-+I...&skuId=7841045

Fairly solid little laptop though, although neither the Core i3 or GMA 4000 are going to set the world on fire, but compared to the Turion 64 x2 in my Toshiba, or the slow as molasses Atom in the Acer, it's plenty fast. Somewhat nice thing, is that it has HT.

newegg had a special on nearly the same Dell laptop yesterday for $400, but it had a 100 MHz slower chip (meh) and 6 GB of RAM vs 4. Probably a push in either direction.

Closed Thread