HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

Kings Prospects in the CHL/College

Closed Thread

Old
04-01-2013, 12:42 PM
AKAY47
In Lombardi we trust

vCash: 500
The Etem situation will always be remembered because the draft was in LA and the kid is from Long Beach. Not only that, but the Kings traded up to make their pick, so we basically all assumed it would be Etem since we were already loaded on D (Doughty, Johnson, Voynov, Hickey, Teubert, Martinez, Muzzin, etc). The Forbort pick shocked me, I was obviously disappointed and most of you know how much I wanted Etem and not Forbort. Imagine Etem playing on a line with Carter-Richards? At least DL made up for the Forbort pick by taking Toffoli in the 2nd.

Old
04-01-2013, 12:54 PM
Vino

Michael Schumacher's and Colin Miller's OHL-season is now over, when Owen Sound beat Greyhounds 4-3 (serie 4-2). In the playoffs Schumacher was team's best scorer (4+2) and had best +/- +2. Miller got also six points (1+5) in six games, but his +/- was -2.

Maybye Manchester is theirs next step? ATO?

Old
04-01-2013, 01:10 PM
palffytofrovlov

For sure Miller could use another defensemen... I believe the only prospects whose season isnt over is Gravel and Dowd in NCAA...

In the CHL, Roach, MacDermid, Hyka...

Gibson's season ended last night, in overtime... made 38 saves...

Old
04-01-2013, 01:18 PM
AKAY47
In Lombardi we trust

I'm sure Miller goes up to Manchester, they need alot of help/players. Wouldn't be surprised if basically everyone who's out of the CHL playoffs goes up to Manchester. I'd love to see Gibson up there.

Old
04-01-2013, 01:20 PM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKAY47 View Post
I'm sure Miller goes up to Manchester, they need alot of help/players. Wouldn't be surprised if basically everyone who's out of the CHL playoffs goes up to Manchester. I'd love to see Gibson up there.
It would be great to see Gibson play against some AHL talent. He has come a long way this year and is looking good.

Old
04-01-2013, 02:48 PM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjm22 View Post
Forbort is the new Boyle. Etem is the new Perry.

While Forbort spends years developing into a mediocre NHL player, Etem will be scoring goals in the NHL.

Forbort is one of those typical prospects that gets overrated because of his size.
Perhaps you are right, and honestly it wouldn't shock me if Forbort flops. I don't expect it, I think he'll amount to something, but it wouldn't be a huge shock if he didn't.

That said, I'll still stand by my point that it's rather ridiculous to say a kid with three career goals in the NHL is guaranteed to be >>>>>> better than Forbort, who no one has seen at the pro level, nevermind NHL level.

Old
04-01-2013, 04:43 PM
SCARFACE909

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKAY47 View Post
The Etem situation will always be remembered because the draft was in LA and the kid is from Long Beach. Not only that, but the Kings traded up to make their pick, so we basically all assumed it would be Etem since we were already loaded on D (Doughty, Johnson, Voynov, Hickey, Teubert, Martinez, Muzzin, etc). The Forbort pick shocked me, I was obviously disappointed and most of you know how much I wanted Etem and not Forbort. Imagine Etem playing on a line with Carter-Richards? At least DL made up for the Forbort pick by taking Toffoli in the 2nd.
Forbort was the BPA at that spot, and why they took him, as McKenzie said on draft day, you don't draft by geography, you draft who you think is the best player available, Kings felt it was Forbort, yet you always love to bring it up any chance you get, hindsight is 20/20 and I still have high hopes for Forbort.

Old
04-02-2013, 05:11 PM
verbalkint47

E-T-E-M. That's a strange way to spell Tarasenko

Old
04-02-2013, 05:25 PM
Herby
Culture Changer

Quote:
Originally Posted by verbalkint47 View Post
E-T-E-M. That's a strange way to spell Tarasenko
Finally someone said it.

It's a little ridiculous to mention a player who was taken 14 picks later when a budding star was taken with the very next pick. Tarasenko was coming off a huge year for a 17/18 year old in the second best league in the world, the problem was three years ago there were lots of questions about taking Russian players because of the lack of a solid transfer agreement, and because the oligarchs were throwing huge money at kids to stay. St. Louis rolled the dice and they look like they hit a HR, good for them.

I liked the Forbort pick at the time, because he was seen as a high upside defender. He had size and decent mobility and supposedly had large offensive upside from the blue line, sadly the offense has never progressed in three years at UND.

If Etem were from Toronto, this wouldn't even be a discussion, but since he is from LB everyone thinks the Kings should have automatically taken him, which is a bad way to draft.

Old
04-02-2013, 05:32 PM
CNS
A World Alone

vCash: 672
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herby View Post
Finally someone said it.

It's a little ridiculous to mention a player who was taken 14 picks later when a budding star was taken with the very next pick. Tarasenko was coming off a huge year for a 17/18 year old in the second best league in the world, the problem was three years ago there were lots of questions about taking Russian players because of the lack of a solid transfer agreement, and because the oligarchs were throwing huge money at kids to stay. St. Louis rolled the dice and they look like they hit a HR, good for them.

I liked the Forbort pick at the time, because he was seen as a high upside defender. He had size and decent mobility and supposedly had large offensive upside from the blue line, sadly the offense has never progressed in three years at UND.

If Etem were from Toronto, this wouldn't even be a discussion, but since he is from LB everyone thinks the Kings should have automatically taken him, which is a bad way to draft.
I'll admit I was wrong here. I thought Tarasenko wouldn't be that good or that he wouldn't come over (MUCH moreso the latter). Willing to admit I was wrong. I loved the Forbort pick at the time too. Now I do not....

His offense hasn't gotten any better since the time he got to UND (not substantially at least) and that's pretty damn pathetic.

Old
04-03-2013, 03:26 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Didn't I tell ya they'll get him signed and out of college? Some good news.

@mayorNHL: #LAKings GM Dean Lombardi confirms the plan is to try and get 2010 first rd pick defenseman Derek Forbort inked in the next few days.

Old
04-03-2013, 03:35 PM
TwoForRoughing
Let's do it again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post

@mayorNHL: #LAKings GM Dean Lombardi confirms the plan is to try and get 2010 first rd pick defenseman Derek Forbort inked in the next few days.
He can get signed and return for his senior year right? Isn't that what happened with Nick Shore? He played in Manch. for a little while.

Old
04-03-2013, 03:52 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Nope, once you're signed, you can't go back to playing college hockey.

You might be mixed up with Shore. He never played in the AHL.

Old
04-03-2013, 03:55 PM
damacles1156

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoForRoughing View Post
He can get signed and return for his senior year right? Isn't that what happened with Nick Shore? He played in Manch. for a little while.
Pretty sure you are a Pro once you ink a contract. You have to be a non Pro to play NCAA.

Old
04-03-2013, 04:02 PM
SuperAlmeida

Quote:
The Mayor John Hoven ‏@mayorNHL 7m
The push to sign prospect @M_Mersch (sophomore at Wisconsin) will be because #LAKings lack org depth at LW. Kid can score. #Badgers
Hmm... Sign and call up?

Old
04-03-2013, 04:13 PM
TwoForRoughing
Let's do it again!

Quote:
Nope, once you're signed, you can't go back to playing college hockey.

You might be mixed up with Shore. He never played in the AHL.
You're right. Not sure where I got that from.

Old
04-03-2013, 05:19 PM
CNS
A World Alone

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperAlmeida View Post
Hmm... Sign and call up?

LOL no? Mersch is NOT NHL ready. At the very minimum 1 year in the A.

Old
04-03-2013, 05:26 PM
TwoForRoughing
Let's do it again!

All in all, I'm very pleased to hear that Lombardi is talking to Shore, Mersch and Forbort about ELCs. Really, with the exception of Forbort, these guys aren't that far away from the NHL -- college hockey prepares players better for the pro game. They'll instantly boost Manchester's lineup.

Old
04-03-2013, 05:48 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnshockey View Post
LOL no? Mersch is NOT NHL ready. At the very minimum 1 year in the A.
I think they'd give Tanner Pearson a look before they try Mersch. I think he's close to NHL ready and would've pushed for a spot out of camp had there been a legitimate training camp in October. I think he'll get a long look at the next camp. Hell, bring him up now.

Toffoli looks out of place playing on the left side. He's a RW. We've seen it many times that it isn't always a natural and smooth transition placing players in positions they're not used to playing. Pearson is a natural LW and could fit in nicely as a playmaking winger to setup Carter and Richards.

Old
04-03-2013, 06:22 PM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

Quote:
I think they'd give Tanner Pearson a look before they try Mersch. I think he's close to NHL ready and would've pushed for a spot out of camp had there been a legitimate training camp in October. I think he'll get a long look at the next camp. Hell, bring him up now.

Toffoli looks out of place playing on the left side. He's a RW. We've seen it many times that it isn't always a natural and smooth transition placing players in positions they're not used to playing. Pearson is a natural LW and could fit in nicely as a playmaking winger to setup Carter and Richards.
Mersch is going to need to bring his game up to make it in the NHL.

Toffi does look somewhat out of place when they play him on the left side.

Pearson is as ready as he is going to be. I think your right that they will give him a look at camp.

Old
04-03-2013, 06:24 PM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

Quote:

Its all in Forborts hands.

Old
04-03-2013, 06:54 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonellisghost View Post
Its all in Forborts hands.
I think he'd be wise to sign. It's time for him to take the next step and play at a far more advanced level of hockey. He needs to be challenged and pushed in order to grow his game. The Kings would also get a better understanding of where he's at by playing in the AHL. I think his development would stall if he continued playing in North Dakota. Similar thing happened to Jack Johnson when he spent the extra year in Michigan, it stalled his development.

Old
04-03-2013, 07:12 PM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

Quote:
I think he'd be wise to sign. It's time for him to take the next step and play at a far more advanced level of hockey. He needs to be challenged and pushed in order to grow his game. The Kings would also get a better understanding of where he's at by playing in the AHL. I think his development would stall if he continued playing in North Dakota. Similar thing happened to Jack Johnson when he spent the extra year in Michigan, it stalled his development.
You could be right. He is enigmatic in as far as where he stands on his developmental arc is concerned. During games against ScS he looked ready to make the jump and then the next week against Wisc he looked shakey.

At times he looks ready to make the jump and at times he looks like another year at ND would do him good. Either way it looks like we will see him making a step forward so whatever happens is good with me. He will fall in behind Gravel and Des and have a couple of years to make his jump.

Old
04-03-2013, 07:17 PM
CNS
A World Alone

One thing Dean also said was he wasn't even going to discuss Gravel/Dowd since they're still playing. I'd give Dowd an ELC I think and obviously Gravel too. Get rid of guys like Meckler and O'Neil who have zero future with us and let new blood (Kitsyn/Forbort/Shore/Mersch/Dowd/Gravel) start getting ice time in Manchester.

Old
04-03-2013, 07:49 PM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnshockey View Post
One thing Dean also said was he wasn't even going to discuss Gravel/Dowd since they're still playing. I'd give Dowd an ELC I think and obviously Gravel too. Get rid of guys like Meckler and O'Neil who have zero future with us and let new blood (Kitsyn/Forbort/Shore/Mersch/Dowd/Gravel) start getting ice time in Manchester.
I completely agree. Spot on.

Closed Thread