HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Notices

** Official 2013 Fire Sacco Thread: Part Deux **

Closed Thread

Old
04-02-2013, 02:51 PM
Foppa2118

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by S E P H View Post
I totally get what you are saying, but I watched a lot of college hockey in my life and there are about 10ish coaches who could be NHL caliber coaches right now (including Jerry York). Remember all I am saying is they could be NHL caliber coaches, not that they're going to be good or not.
Fair enough. I don't know too much about college hockey, but I always got the feeling that the coach was more of a GM assembling the team through recruiting, and then more of a life coach to keep young kids on the straight and narrow, and help motivate them for games.

More so than a X's and O's kind of coach, in which case the X's and O's are a little different than NHL systems. The methods for motivation aren't tested as much either given they usually only play a couple games a week.

Seems like Canadian junior coaches are a little closer in terms of NHL style of play, and how they motivate and get their teams to focus during a long season. Who knows though, I would optimistic about his chances in the NHL, given how much respect he's been given.

Old
04-02-2013, 02:59 PM
Foppa2118

Avs should hire this guy, haha.

Old
04-02-2013, 03:05 PM
henchman24
#ImagineAvs

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foppa2118 View Post

Reminds me of an old hockey coach of mine...

Old
04-02-2013, 05:13 PM
bohlmeister
$$ For Sale $$

vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foppa2118 View Post

It would take every ounce of discipline in my body not to punch a guy like that. Those players are more controlled than me.

Old
04-02-2013, 05:17 PM
Foppa2118

Seriously. I don't know how he's still alive at this point.

Old
04-02-2013, 05:26 PM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

Quote:
Originally Posted by bohlmeister View Post
It would take every ounce of discipline in my body not to punch a guy like that. Those players are more controlled than me.
If they even so much as talked back to him he'd end their college careers with nary a thought. A few of those guys at the very least likely have NBA aspirations.

Coaches hold way too much power, paid way too much money, and are never held to any sort of accountability in the NCAA. They can ruin a program with violations (i.e., Calipari) and simply walk down the street into boatloads of money with another program.

Anyway. Fire Sacco, hire Gwozdecky. That is all.

Old
04-03-2013, 06:12 PM
Hasbro
HFBoards Sponsor

Maybe we'll get lucky and the Panthers will hold Dineen responsible for their record.

Old
04-03-2013, 06:17 PM
Sheet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasbro View Post
Maybe we'll get lucky and the Panthers will hold Dineen responsible for their record.
I honestly feel injuries have been their biggest issue. Not much a coach can do when he's leading a bunch of ahlers.

How's the 2014 draft look? If it's as good as this year keep sacco, bench ej duch and pap.

Last edited by Sheet: 04-03-2013 at 07:01 PM.
Old
04-03-2013, 11:12 PM
HockeyFan100
Welcome to COL!

Seems that few Avs players haven't been playing a whole lot of heart or confidence this season (O'Bryne and Jones come to mind first). Those guys have been around long enough to get their confidence sucked out from being in Sacco's season. You could say they're just bad, but I think pretty much everyone this year has been the same. Duchene is lucky. Parenteau and Mitchell haven't been exposed to the true Sacco System... yet. Now fire this guy already!!!

Old
04-04-2013, 11:10 PM
RockLobster
Beatles Guru

vCash: 905
After reading Dater's latest blog, it leaves me less hopeful that Sacco will be shown the door after this season....

http://blogs.denverpost.com/avs/2013...medium=twitter

Thought I'd been in love before, but in my heart I wanted more. Seems like all I really was doing was waiting for you - John Lennon/The Beatles
Old
04-04-2013, 11:31 PM
Foppa2118

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockLobster View Post
After reading Dater's latest blog, it leaves me less hopeful that Sacco will be shown the door after this season....

I wouldn't put much stock into it. He's reading way into comments about patience, and basing it on nothing else.

Old
04-04-2013, 11:42 PM
cyberfan
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockLobster View Post

I'm not too worry about what Sherman said about being patient. He might have meant until this summer vice another year of Sacco.

However the last paragraph worries me a lot. If there are a lot of players that backs Sacco, that might sway Sherman and then God help us!

Old
04-04-2013, 11:45 PM
The Kingslayer

vCash: 291
Sherman hired sacco he ain't firing him so we need to fire sherm

Old
04-04-2013, 11:51 PM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

Nothing would surprise me at this point (except Sacco, Sherman, AND Lacroix all getting their walking papers) but it's clear that Sacco's job is anything but safe at this point. He may yet avoid the axe, but when a GM or owner won't comment on a coach's future, they're at least leaving the option open.

Old
04-05-2013, 12:08 AM
Huis Clos*
Creamy Hamstrings

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kingslayer View Post
Sherman hired sacco he ain't firing him so we need to fire sherm
Did he? Or did Lacroix when he promoted Sherman? I was never clear on this.

Old
04-05-2013, 12:30 AM
RobinDIF
Reunite ROR & Landy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hek View Post
Did he? Or did Lacroix when he promoted Sherman? I was never clear on this.
Must have been Lacroix, Sacco was hired like one day after Sherman was promoted. Or am I wrong about that?

Old
04-05-2013, 12:51 AM
bohlmeister
$$ For Sale $$

I bought a book on GM's through the league. Pierre Lacroix was interviewed about building the teams he did. He said that the most important thing for the 95-96 team was finding a young coach (Crow) to grow with the players. I am worried that they think Sacco is that guy, and that he is going to grow with this team. At this point I would rather have Sacco's wife coaching this team.

Old
04-05-2013, 01:27 AM
Foppa2118

Quote:
I bought a book on GM's through the league. Pierre Lacroix was interviewed about building the teams he did. He said that the most important thing for the 95-96 team was finding a young coach (Crow) to grow with the players. I am worried that they think Sacco is that guy, and that he is going to grow with this team. At this point I would rather have Sacco's wife coaching this team.
Except the Nordiques were a little older with their group and the 2nd best team in the regular season Crawford's first year, then won the Cup his second. A little different than Sacco's tenure where he made it as an 8th seed his first year, and then missed the playoffs near the basement three years in a row.

How can they not fire him at the end of the year? I know I'm tempting fate with that question, but it's so obvious finishing potentially dead last in the league this year.

Old
04-05-2013, 01:31 AM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

vCash: 645
Sacco won't be back. Dater is just giving his opinion here and it seems like he's basing it off of Sherman's "patience" comments.

Old
04-05-2013, 01:47 AM
fcbarcelona

While I'm just as displeased with anyone here about Sacco, I will defend him and the organization a little bit. Sacco does employ a good system. I agree with the players on this. But, he needs to focus more on a better transition game. Also, I find he struggles with in game adjustments. Babcock, for instance, can recognize when his team needs to alter the momentum of the game. He can see when things are about to go bad before they do and he whacks his team hard enough to change that to the best of his abilities. Sacco does not do this. He is far too passive.

At the end of the day, sometimes it's best to deal with the devil you know than the devil you don't know. I use this across the board for the entire Avalanche organization. I know two things about the Avalanche. We have some good amateur and professional scouts. As well, we have an owner who, while he doesn't necessarily care much for hockey, doesn't involve himself too much with hockey transactions on a daily basis. He let's hockey people do their thing and he has been known to dish out the cash when needed.

Old
04-05-2013, 03:41 AM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

Quote:
Given the perpetual attempts to hire Roy I doubt that's the case. Both Sherman and Sacco are are were backup options they picked back in '09 when Roy said no the first time.

Old
04-05-2013, 04:00 AM
ANewHope
Nuggets|Avs|Broncos

I wonder how realistic of an option Roy will be nowadays. I have no idea why but I would love him behind the bench, haven't followed his coaching career at all but if were going to lose rather do it with Patty Roy

Old
04-05-2013, 09:06 AM
Sheet

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverNATION View Post
I wonder how realistic of an option Roy will be nowadays. I have no idea why but I would love him behind the bench, haven't followed his coaching career at all but if were going to lose rather do it with Patty Roy
He's Had some success, but he wants coach/gm. And I think he would beat up a ref or reporter or player or sherman... not saying any of its bad.

He also wanted a ridiculous sum of dosh too... like 6 mil a year.

I'm told Kevin Dineen and that hockey family is a distant relative of mine, not that I've ever spoke to any of them, but I've always followed his career. He seems to have a good head for it and has done well given whT he has to work with. I've sort of passed off this year because the entire team has been injured but last year and ahl wise. Maybe fl dumps and we pick him up. Can't be worse then what we have..

Old
04-05-2013, 09:17 AM
bohlmeister
$$ For Sale $$

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheet View Post
He's Had some success, but he wants coach/gm. And I think he would beat up a ref or reporter or player or sherman... not saying any of its bad.

I'm told Kevin Dineen and that hockey family is a distant relative of mine, not that I've ever spoke to any of them, but I've always followed his career. He seems to have a good head for it and has done well given whT he has to work with. I've sort of passed off this year because the entire team has been injured but last year and ahl wise. Maybe fl dumps and we pick him up. Can't be worse then what we have..
12 mil for 3 years. Avs decided to go the cheaper route. And they got what they payed for.

Old
04-05-2013, 09:19 AM
Bubba Thudd
#AvsNewAge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheet View Post

Eddie DeBartolo is supposedly a distant cousin of mine.