HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

OT: Do the Sochi Olympics show the IOC is open to warm Winter Olympic hosts?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-30-2013, 07:52 AM
  #26
Franck
Insolent Upstart
 
Franck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Gothenburg
Country: Sweden
Posts: 7,906
vCash: 50
Yeah, both Chile and New Zealand could theoretically host the Winter Olympics in the Southern Hemisphere. I really can't see it happening though as virtually every single winter sport has it's off-season during the southern hemisphere's winter, I have a very hard time seeing FIS agreeing to a shifted schedule.

As for the move away from resort towns towards larger cities, it sucks from a Swedish perspective as it basically rules us out from ever hosting the games, Åre/Östersund is the only suitable location we have and with a combined population of about 70k it is probably too small.

Franck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2013, 08:50 AM
  #27
CHIP72
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Silver Spring, MD
Country: United States
Posts: 359
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by EbencoyE View Post
I'd like to see a winter games in Chile next, after Korea. I think it's about time the southern hemisphere gets to host one. The only problem is what time of the year they would have it, as I'm not sure the IOC would want a winter games going on during the northern hemisphere's summer.
I agree that the IOC probably would have reservations. One positive would be that a Southern Hemisphere Winter Olympics it would be a lot easier logistically for the NHL if NHL players (and for that matter players from most other leagues around the world) were allowed to participate.

CHIP72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2013, 09:27 AM
  #28
Franck
Insolent Upstart
 
Franck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Gothenburg
Country: Sweden
Posts: 7,906
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHIP72 View Post
I agree that the IOC probably would have reservations. One positive would be that a Southern Hemisphere Winter Olympics it would be a lot easier logistically for the NHL if NHL players (and for that matter players from most other leagues around the world) were allowed to participate.
I really can't picture the IIHF pushing for a summer tournament. The Olympics don't pose the same logistic problem to the European leagues as it does to the NHL because they have several international breaks scheduled each season anyway.

It's not going to happen anyway, the biggest player at the Winter Olympics, FIS (in charge of both the nordic and alpine skiing, that's basically half the Olympics) would never agree to something that deviates so significantly from their normal season.

Franck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2013, 02:32 PM
  #29
Brodie
watcher on the walls
 
Brodie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Michigan
Country: United Kingdom
Posts: 12,163
vCash: 500
They attempted a Pan Am winter games in Chile at one point... It was a disaster.

Brodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2013, 02:44 PM
  #30
Killion
Global Moderator
 
Killion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Morocco
Country: Morocco
Posts: 22,066
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodie View Post
They attempted a Pan Am winter games in Chile at one point... It was a disaster.
Ya, they did manage to pull off one event, 1990, Los Lenas' Argentina the host city, grand total of about 100 athletes competing including Canada & the US. Cancelled the following event planned for Chile' in 94. Was supposed to be an off calendar to the Olympics type dealeo, staged every 4yrs. First actually conceptualised & tabled in the early 50's. South America, Chile etc, they do indeed have some seriously nice ski areas up at elevation, a great many countries training there during the summer months but of course it can be "spotty" if not downright dangerous due to weather etc. Never mind the economic & political situations. Dangerous. You even look at someone the wrong way in certain parts you'll wind up like that kid in Midnight Express. Winter sports tend to be pretty expensive and therefore elitist enjoyed by the worlds wealthiest nations. Staging winter games in 3rd world countries not very cool, beyond impracticable.

Killion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2013, 05:05 PM
  #31
jekoh
Registered User
 
jekoh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 3,770
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killion View Post
South America, Chile etc,
Never mind the economic & political situations. Dangerous. You even look at someone the wrong way in certain parts you'll wind up like that kid in Midnight Express.
I'm not sure what you're trying to say but if anything Chile is less dangerous than the United States.

jekoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2013, 06:52 PM
  #32
Killion
Global Moderator
 
Killion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Morocco
Country: Morocco
Posts: 22,066
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jekoh View Post
I'm not sure what you're trying to say but if anything Chile is less dangerous than the United States.
20, 25 yrs ago, when these events were staged not so much. South America, not all but parts thereof pretty dangerous. Context jekoh. Wasnt making a broad, sweeping statement transcending time. Lumping in the contemporaneous; todays environment which has improved tremendously in most regions, be it Chile or Argentina, Columbia, Panama or wherever.

Killion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2013, 07:16 PM
  #33
cutchemist42
Registered User
 
cutchemist42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,939
vCash: 500
Could Barcelona pull one off? I know Spain has a few decent resorts.

cutchemist42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2013, 07:26 PM
  #34
Brodie
watcher on the walls
 
Brodie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Michigan
Country: United Kingdom
Posts: 12,163
vCash: 500
Barcelonas government has said they'd be interested in bidding. The Spanish OC is sort of obsessed with Madrid hosting the summer games, though, so it'll probably be a while before they make a serious bid

Brodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2013, 05:05 PM
  #35
Djp
Registered User
 
Djp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Seattle,WA
Posts: 5,884
vCash: 500
For the USA for winter games the possible hosts would be (other than Salt Lake City):


1. Denver--scatter the mountain parts through Vail, breckonridge, and aspen.
2. Seattle/Portland---each would use the other for some of the events.
3. Bay Area/Lake Tahoe. Sacramento has the arena isue and Reno is to small.
4. NYC/Lake Placid
5. Boston/VT/NH/ME skiing

Montreal or Quebec City could host.

It would be interesting to see an international one between Montreal and Vermont.

Internationally....I could see happening

1. Barcelona/Pyranees
2. Vienna/Innsbrook
3. Frankfurt/German Alps
4. One of the former Yogoslavian states.
5. New Zealand

I could see Chile hosting it in about 20 years.

For New Zealand/Chile---they would be doing this in August or early September which would make hockey easier. They cant have this go against the World Cup.

Djp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2013, 06:02 PM
  #36
cutchemist42
Registered User
 
cutchemist42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,939
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djp View Post
For the USA for winter games the possible hosts would be (other than Salt Lake City):


1. Denver--scatter the mountain parts through Vail, breckonridge, and aspen.
2. Seattle/Portland---each would use the other for some of the events.
3. Bay Area/Lake Tahoe. Sacramento has the arena isue and Reno is to small.
4. NYC/Lake Placid
5. Boston/VT/NH/ME skiing

Montreal or Quebec City could host.

It would be interesting to see an international one between Montreal and Vermont.

Internationally....I could see happening

1. Barcelona/Pyranees
2. Vienna/Innsbrook
3. Frankfurt/German Alps
4. One of the former Yogoslavian states.
5. New Zealand

I could see Chile hosting it in about 20 years.

For New Zealand/Chile---they would be doing this in August or early September which would make hockey easier. They cant have this go against the World Cup.
I wonder if Croatia/Slovenia could? Boise, Idaho?


Last edited by cutchemist42: 03-31-2013 at 06:11 PM.
cutchemist42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2013, 06:34 PM
  #37
RandV
It's a wolf v2.0
 
RandV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,413
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killion View Post
Ya, they did manage to pull off one event, 1990, Los Lenas' Argentina the host city, grand total of about 100 athletes competing including Canada & the US. Cancelled the following event planned for Chile' in 94. Was supposed to be an off calendar to the Olympics type dealeo, staged every 4yrs. First actually conceptualised & tabled in the early 50's. South America, Chile etc, they do indeed have some seriously nice ski areas up at elevation, a great many countries training there during the summer months but of course it can be "spotty" if not downright dangerous due to weather etc. Never mind the economic & political situations. Dangerous. You even look at someone the wrong way in certain parts you'll wind up like that kid in Midnight Express. Winter sports tend to be pretty expensive and therefore elitist enjoyed by the worlds wealthiest nations. Staging winter games in 3rd world countries not very cool, beyond impracticable.
Viability of the location/country aside that's kind of why I think a Winter Olympics could work in the Southern Hemisphere during the Summer. It doesn't really work that way for all sports, but I know there's a lot of hardcore enthusiasts that spend our winters in North America at our ski hills then to keep going head to the southern hemisphere ski resorts during our summers.

RandV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 05:04 AM
  #38
jekoh
Registered User
 
jekoh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 3,770
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djp View Post
3. Frankfurt/German Alps
If they were to host it in the German Alps, why in the world would they go all the way to Frankfurt for the main site?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Killion View Post
20, 25 yrs ago, when these events were staged not so much. South America, not all but parts thereof pretty dangerous. Context jekoh. Wasnt making a broad, sweeping statement transcending time. Lumping in the contemporaneous; todays environment which has improved tremendously in most regions, be it Chile or Argentina, Columbia, Panama or wherever.
It's unlikely that even 20 years ago Chile was any more dangerous than the United States. In any case it's not a concern for any future Chilean bid.

jekoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 07:43 AM
  #39
Theokritos
Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 2,938
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djp View Post
2. Vienna/Innsbrook
Why would Innsbruck need Vienna as co-host? Innsbruck has everything to host Olympics on its own and Vienna is 5 hours away, co-hosting makes no sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djp View Post
3. Frankfurt/German Alps
I think you're confusing Frankfurt with Munich.

Theokritos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 08:06 AM
  #40
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator
 
tarheelhockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: The Triangle
Country: United States
Posts: 32,450
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jekoh View Post
I'm not sure what you're trying to say but if anything Chile is less dangerous than the United States.
Depends how you define "danger". The rate of property crime, including simple muggings and theft, is relatively high. But you're less likely to be killed in Chile than in the USA.

tarheelhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 11:53 AM
  #41
bluesfan94
#BackesforSelke
 
bluesfan94's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: St. Louis
Country: United States
Posts: 8,027
vCash: 500
Boise doesn't have an arena or anything along those lines, but it is about 2 hours away from Sun Valley, Idaho and even closer to Soldier Mountain. Sun Valley would be interesting because it's home to the first chairlift.

bluesfan94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 12:15 PM
  #42
Killion
Global Moderator
 
Killion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Morocco
Country: Morocco
Posts: 22,066
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandV View Post
Viability of the location/country aside that's kind of why I think a Winter Olympics could work in the Southern Hemisphere...but I know there's a lot of hardcore enthusiasts that spend our winters in North America at our ski hills then to keep going head to the southern hemisphere ski resorts during our summers.
Ya thats for sure. Whistler, Fernie, Banff, you name it every other accent's Australian. South America & DownUnder in Koala Kountry during their ski season's & our summers, more than just a few Canadians, Americans, Brits etc. Now, though you could stage a Winter Olympics during the Northern Hemispheres summer months in a place like Australia/NZ or South America, the vast majority of nations competing situated above the equator, I dont know that but for maybe a one-off novelty it would be of much interest to broadcasters & or sponsors, and thats what its all about really. Youve got time zone considerations, live to on air at like 3am in July, doubt very much someone in Chicago or Munich is going to be up watching that in the middle of the summer.

Killion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 01:41 PM
  #43
Djp
Registered User
 
Djp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Seattle,WA
Posts: 5,884
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theokritos View Post
Why would Innsbruck need Vienna as co-host? Innsbruck has everything to host Olympics on its own and Vienna is 5 hours away, co-hosting makes no sense.



I think you're confusing Frankfurt with Munich.
Maybe I flipped the two---though Fankfurt was closer to the alps

Djp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 01:52 PM
  #44
Djp
Registered User
 
Djp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Seattle,WA
Posts: 5,884
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cutchemist42 View Post
I wonder if Croatia/Slovenia could? Boise, Idaho?
Boise doenst have the Arena space. Since they do not have a pro team building an 18,000 seat arena would be a costly endevor. Last time I checked their Arena for concerts is smaller--like 10,000 capacity.

Boise/Sun Valley could function could function in principle. They could have histed 30 years ago.

The same reason why I think Reno would not work as a host city and use Tahoe for the mountains.

Also thats why Lake Placid cant work as a host now. they could still do Skiing events but the other events need to move to a larger city like New york or Buffalo.

Thgat is another idea---NY state could host where the Skiing/snow events are at Lake Placid, The hockey games, figure skating, and speed skating occur in Buffalo, rochester, and Syracuse.

Djp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 02:41 PM
  #45
Ugmo
Registered User
 
Ugmo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Country: Austria
Posts: 9,186
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theokritos View Post
Why would Innsbruck need Vienna as co-host? Innsbruck has everything to host Olympics on its own and Vienna is 5 hours away, co-hosting makes no sense.
Money? Innbruck has a population of just north of 100,000. Would make more sense financially for Vienna to finance it, no? That being said, there was just a referendum in Vienna on bidding for the summer games, and it was rejected.

You can probably get to Innsbruck in four hours if you really cane it. Still too far away. Schladming would be closer, and they have alpine events there.

How big does the hockey arena have to be? I don't think there's anything sufficient in Austria.. maybe the Stadthalle in Vienna, but it's not exactly ideal for hockey.

Ugmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 05:20 PM
  #46
Killion
Global Moderator
 
Killion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Morocco
Country: Morocco
Posts: 22,066
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugmo View Post
How big does the hockey arena have to be? I don't think there's anything sufficient in Austria.. maybe the Stadthalle in Vienna, but it's not exactly ideal for hockey.
Ya, Schladming would actually be quite excellent. Berg Hohenwerten, castle used as the set in Where Eagles Dare nearby. Arnold Schwarzenegger from that region. Fantastic terrain and quite a bit of experience in hosting major events, racing. Beat out Vail & St.Moritz to host the 2013 World Championships and some serious infrastructure built to accommodate disabled skiers & visitors, important consideration for the Para-Olympic Games that follow.... your quite right about Vienna & Stadthalle, that place over 50yrs old with a capacity of about 16,000 for concerts, though how much for figure skating & hockey I know not. Easy enough matter to deal with though; build a brand new state of the art arena, 21,000+ seater. The city could use it, and a real shot in the arm for hockey in that country. Why the Austrians & Germans are so far behind, being a Nordic country n' all I have no idea. Short of the German's governing ice hockey federation & its' pro league being completely dysfunctional that is. Shame really. Youd think they'd be absolute Wunderkinders with a stick & a puck, and Im sure they would if they had the infrastructure to develop the game properly. Hosting a Winter Olympics a good way to re-kick-start those efforts.

Killion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 07:13 PM
  #47
CHIP72
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Silver Spring, MD
Country: United States
Posts: 359
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djp View Post
Boise doenst have the Arena space. Since they do not have a pro team building an 18,000 seat arena would be a costly endevor. Last time I checked their Arena for concerts is smaller--like 10,000 capacity.

Boise/Sun Valley could function could function in principle. They could have histed 30 years ago.

The same reason why I think Reno would not work as a host city and use Tahoe for the mountains.

Also thats why Lake Placid cant work as a host now. they could still do Skiing events but the other events need to move to a larger city like New york or Buffalo.

Thgat is another idea---NY state could host where the Skiing/snow events are at Lake Placid, The hockey games, figure skating, and speed skating occur in Buffalo, rochester, and Syracuse.
I think Lake Placid is closer to Ottawa and Montreal than it is to Buffalo and Rochester (and the two Canadian cities are a lot larger than Syracuse).

CHIP72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 12:04 PM
  #48
barneyg
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 2,234
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHIP72 View Post
I think Lake Placid is closer to Ottawa and Montreal than it is to Buffalo and Rochester (and the two Canadian cities are a lot larger than Syracuse).
Yes, but splitting the Olympics across different countries would be quite a mess unless Canada and the US implemented some kind of Schengen agreement (yeah, good luck with that).

Re: Boston -- it would have the same problem as Quebec City, i.e. there's only one Eastern ski resort with enough of a vertical drop to host men's downhill, and that's Whiteface Mtn (i.e. Lake Placid). Maybe they could figure something out somewhere around Mt. Washington but they'd need to start from scratch, or go with the same idea (artificial increase in height) as Quebec City's for Le Massif.

barneyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 02:15 PM
  #49
Theokritos
Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 2,938
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugmo View Post
You can probably get to Innsbruck in four hours if you really cane it. Still too far away.
Exactly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugmo View Post
Schladming would be closer, and they have alpine events there.
Then you have two seperate sites (Vienna and Schladming, 3-4 hours removed), but you're still missing facilities for ski jumping and bobsleight, luge & skeleton. At Innsbruck, you have all the facilities and they're basically in one place. That's a rare situation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugmo View Post
How big does the hockey arena have to be? I don't think there's anything sufficient in Austria.. maybe the Stadthalle in Vienna, but it's not exactly ideal for hockey.
When you look at Torino and Sotchi then you probably need a 12,000 arena. So they would have to build a new one or do a major rebuild to one of the existing arenas, whether in Vienna or in Innsbruck.

Theokritos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 05:45 PM
  #50
PSGJ
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Sweden
Country: Sweden
Posts: 523
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killion View Post
Ya thats for sure. Whistler, Fernie, Banff, you name it every other accent's Australian. South America & DownUnder in Koala Kountry during their ski season's & our summers, more than just a few Canadians, Americans, Brits etc. Now, though you could stage a Winter Olympics during the Northern Hemispheres summer months in a place like Australia/NZ or South America, the vast majority of nations competing situated above the equator, I dont know that but for maybe a one-off novelty it would be of much interest to broadcasters & or sponsors, and thats what its all about really. Youve got time zone considerations, live to on air at like 3am in July, doubt very much someone in Chicago or Munich is going to be up watching that in the middle of the summer.
The Winter Olympics are held in February which if you translate it to the other hemisphere means August, which of course is when the Summer Olympics are held.

PSGJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:18 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.