HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, NHL revenues, relocation and expansion.

Metro Seattle: NHL, NBA and Arena - Part VI

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-01-2013, 03:15 PM
  #676
superdeluxe
Seattle Sin Bin
 
superdeluxe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Tukwila, Bellevue
Country: Ukraine
Posts: 2,967
vCash: 500
Chris Daniels ‏@ChrisDaniels5 38s

That means a pitch from the County and City, and why issues like the Stockton bankruptcy could come into the conversation. #NBASeattle


Mayor McGinn ‏@mayormcginn 2m
Looking forward to traveling to @NBA meeting in #NYC this week to help bring back the Sonics #sonicsarena



Dow Constantine ‏@kcexec 1m
Wednesday I will tell the NBA in #NYC about our broad regional political support to bring back the Sonics. #sonicsarena

superdeluxe is offline  
Old
04-01-2013, 04:32 PM
  #677
Shaz
Registered User
 
Shaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Tacoma, WA
Country: United States
Posts: 122
vCash: 500
Woohoo!

Shaz is offline  
Old
04-01-2013, 05:02 PM
  #678
Clowe Me
Registered User
 
Clowe Me's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: 530
Country: Uzbekistan
Posts: 23,157
vCash: 500
Stockton's financial woes have nothing to do with Sacramento. Dumb to compare the two to one another.

Clowe Me is online now  
Old
04-01-2013, 05:10 PM
  #679
Shaz
Registered User
 
Shaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Tacoma, WA
Country: United States
Posts: 122
vCash: 500
Stockton's market effects Sacramento's seeing as they are about 50 miles apart

Shaz is offline  
Old
04-01-2013, 05:20 PM
  #680
gstommylee
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 5,382
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clowe Me View Post
Stockton's financial woes have nothing to do with Sacramento. Dumb to compare the two to one another.

Stockton is included in its DMA though so its fair though.

gstommylee is online now  
Old
04-01-2013, 09:07 PM
  #681
Clowe Me
Registered User
 
Clowe Me's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: 530
Country: Uzbekistan
Posts: 23,157
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaz View Post
Stockton's market effects Sacramento's seeing as they are about 50 miles apart
No, it doesn't. They are in the same MSA, but are run by different people. They are not the same entity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstommylee View Post
Stockton is included in its DMA though so its fair though.
The people in the city of Sacramento don't consider themselves a part of Stockton and likewise.

Clowe Me is online now  
Old
04-01-2013, 09:12 PM
  #682
Shaz
Registered User
 
Shaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Tacoma, WA
Country: United States
Posts: 122
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clowe Me View Post
No, it doesn't. They are in the same MSA, but are run by different people. They are not the same entity.

The people in the city of Sacramento don't consider themselves a part of Stockton and likewise.
It doesn't matter, it's still an area close enough to effect Sacramento

Either understand that or don't, you are still wrong

Shaz is offline  
Old
04-01-2013, 11:19 PM
  #683
MuzikMachine
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 726
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clowe Me View Post
Stockton's financial woes have nothing to do with Sacramento. Dumb to compare the two to one another.
Aren't Stockton's financial woes partially because of a development deal that went bad? If so, should Sacromento be concerned with Stockton's financial situation not from a Kings season ticket base point-of-view but rather that they don't make the same mistakes and get in the same hole? I would hope that in an emotional push to keep the Kings, the City of Sacromento doesn't make the same mistakes that puts it in the same conversation as Stockton or Glendale.

MuzikMachine is offline  
Old
04-02-2013, 12:54 AM
  #684
superdeluxe
Seattle Sin Bin
 
superdeluxe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Tukwila, Bellevue
Country: Ukraine
Posts: 2,967
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clowe Me View Post

The people in the city of Sacramento don't consider themselves a part of Stockton and likewise.
People in Tacoma don't consider themselves a part of Seattle, but we are still in Seattle's DMA. Our feelings have nothing to do with it.

superdeluxe is offline  
Old
04-02-2013, 11:49 AM
  #685
Stonewall
Registered User
 
Stonewall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,973
vCash: 500
Ok, let me get this straight. Is tomorrow the day we'll know for sure (or have a really good idea) if the Kings are miving?

Stonewall is offline  
Old
04-02-2013, 12:01 PM
  #686
gstommylee
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 5,382
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonewall View Post
Ok, let me get this straight. Is tomorrow the day we'll know for sure (or have a really good idea) if the Kings are miving?
After tomorrow we should have a general idea of which direction the NBA is going although it could be possible that the NBA could change their minds and go expansion to appease both cities.

We still don't know if sacramento made a new offer specifically one that matches.

gstommylee is online now  
Old
04-02-2013, 12:04 PM
  #687
silvercanuck
Registered User
 
silvercanuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,316
vCash: 500
^

No.

Tomorrow is the day that groups from Sacramento and Seattle will be in NYC tomorrow to discus the relocation issue with NBA executives.

The NBA is expected to give a final decision on April 18th or 19.


silvercanuck is offline  
Old
04-02-2013, 12:11 PM
  #688
gstommylee
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 5,382
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by silvercanuck View Post
^

No.

Tomorrow is the day that groups from Sacramento and Seattle will be in NYC tomorrow to discus the relocation issue with NBA executives.

The NBA is expected to give a final decision on April 18th or 19.
Yes the vote is on the 19th but that doesn't mean we won't learn which way they are heading. Heck it could be that they will reveal that they are picking Seattle making the vote a formality and that is a possibility if Sacramento still doesn't match the offer.

Tomorrow is the deadline when Sacramento has to have a increase offer we don't know if that has happened yet.

gstommylee is online now  
Old
04-02-2013, 12:53 PM
  #689
superdeluxe
Seattle Sin Bin
 
superdeluxe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Tukwila, Bellevue
Country: Ukraine
Posts: 2,967
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonewall View Post
Ok, let me get this straight. Is tomorrow the day we'll know for sure (or have a really good idea) if the Kings are miving?
I think tomorrow the NBA gets both presentations, and then do a straw poll, I think they want to be fairly unanimous one way or another for the 18th/19th vote. They don't want to make it appear there is trouble in the ranks.

superdeluxe is offline  
Old
04-02-2013, 01:19 PM
  #690
maruk14
Registered User
 
maruk14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Seattle, WA
Country: United States
Posts: 2,917
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by superdeluxe View Post
I think tomorrow the NBA gets both presentations, and then do a straw poll, I think they want to be fairly unanimous one way or another for the 18th/19th vote. They don't want to make it appear there is trouble in the ranks.
My predicted outcome ... sale and relo is approved and Sac is granted a conditional expansion team in a few years if they actually get their arena effort past the initial phases to where shovel will actually be meeting ground. Looks like a Charlotte situation to me.

maruk14 is offline  
Old
04-02-2013, 02:04 PM
  #691
GuelphStormer
Registered User
 
GuelphStormer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Guelph, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,108
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by maruk14 View Post
My predicted outcome ... sale and relo is approved and Sac is granted a conditional expansion team in a few years if they actually get their arena effort past the initial phases to where shovel will actually be meeting ground. Looks like a Charlotte situation to me.
one could make the argument that seattle should have to "get their arena effort past the initial phases to where shovel will actually be meeting ground" before they should be considered for any team as well.

in situations like this, it often comes down to a chicken and egg discussion regarding the arena and the team. de facto, winnipeg was required to build its arena before it was considered. and it got its team. hamilton was required to build its arena before it got its team, only to have the rug pulled out and it never got that team. and presumably, the new arena in quebec city was a requirement for its team.

so, what makes seattle the special exception? that it has some interested buyers (in the form of the NBA, and to a lesser and unknown sense, in the form of the NHL)? that it had its (NBA) team taken away? that its city is willing to cough up some dollars? that a current owner wants to sell to someone there? those factors hardly make seattle unique.

GuelphStormer is offline  
Old
04-02-2013, 02:07 PM
  #692
gstommylee
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 5,382
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuelphStormer View Post
one could make the argument that seattle should have to "get their arena effort past the initial phases to where shovel will actually be meeting ground" before they should be considered for any team as well.

in situations like this, it often comes down to a chicken and egg discussion regarding the arena and the team. de facto, winnipeg was required to build its arena before it was considered. and it got its team. hamilton was required to build its arena before it got its team, only to have the rug pulled out and it never got that team. and presumably, the new arena in quebec city was a requirement for its team.

so, what makes seattle the special exception? that it has some interested buyers (in the form of the NBA, and to a lesser and unknown sense, in the form of the NHL)? that it had its (NBA) team taken away? that its city is willing to cough up some dollars? that a current owner wants to sell to someone there? those factors hardly make seattle unique.

First seattle is an EIS away from being ready for ground shovel pending NBA approval of a team relocation or expansion.

2nd seattle requires a NBA team before it ever gets built.

gstommylee is online now  
Old
04-02-2013, 02:41 PM
  #693
PCSPounder
Registered User
 
PCSPounder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Portland. So there.
Country: United States
Posts: 1,324
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
But there is a reason he is building the rink as multi-functional though.
And there's a reason Paul Allen had the Rose Garden built as multifunctional.

There's a difference between working with a partner (Dallas example) in the first place and hoping the hockey owner will pay for 70% of your building via rent and concessions. Allen thought he could make serious bucks off the "second owner," OR talk down an NHL franchise purchase to a fire-sale buy.

While we're not sure if Hansen feels the same, the way to actually stop this kind of talk is to say "hey, I've got Donald Levin (or insert name of NHL owner here) on as a partner, we've agreed to a revenue sharing arrangement, we're shooting for NHL!" That's not happening here, at least not yet.

PCSPounder is offline  
Old
04-02-2013, 02:59 PM
  #694
silvercanuck
Registered User
 
silvercanuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,316
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuelphStormer View Post
one could make the argument that seattle should have to "get their arena effort past the initial phases to where shovel will actually be meeting ground" before they should be considered for any team as well.

in situations like this, it often comes down to a chicken and egg discussion regarding the arena and the team. de facto, winnipeg was required to build its arena before it was considered. and it got its team. hamilton was required to build its arena before it got its team, only to have the rug pulled out and it never got that team. and presumably, the new arena in quebec city was a requirement for its team.

so, what makes seattle the special exception? that it has some interested buyers (in the form of the NBA, and to a lesser and unknown sense, in the form of the NHL)? that it had its (NBA) team taken away? that its city is willing to cough up some dollars? that a current owner wants to sell to someone there? those factors hardly make seattle unique.
This is between Seattle and Sacramento for an NBA team [mod]. Both cities need to show that they have an NBA arena plan in place. It's not just Seattle.


Last edited by Hank Chinaski: 04-02-2013 at 03:10 PM. Reason: not needed...discuss the post, not the poster
silvercanuck is offline  
Old
04-02-2013, 03:42 PM
  #695
gernb
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Country: United States
Posts: 70
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by silvercanuck View Post
This is between Seattle and Sacramento for an NBA team [mod]. Both cities need to show that they have an NBA arena plan in place. It's not just Seattle.
As has been mentioned, Seattle's arena is ready to go pending the NBA giving the relocation approval. Sacramento doesn't even have all the land purchased yet to build, much less the financing being finalized.

gernb is offline  
Old
04-02-2013, 04:09 PM
  #696
superdeluxe
Seattle Sin Bin
 
superdeluxe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Tukwila, Bellevue
Country: Ukraine
Posts: 2,967
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by gernb View Post
As has been mentioned, Seattle's arena is ready to go pending the NBA giving the relocation approval. Sacramento doesn't even have all the land purchased yet to build, much less the financing being finalized.
A city counciler stated he wanted to do a feasibility study on the plaza site.

superdeluxe is offline  
Old
04-02-2013, 04:25 PM
  #697
gernb
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Country: United States
Posts: 70
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by superdeluxe View Post
A city counciler stated he wanted to do a feasibility study on the plaza site.
The problem is that the city doesn't own that land outright: http://www.kcra.com/news/Who-owns-Sa...z/-/index.html

gernb is offline  
Old
04-02-2013, 04:55 PM
  #698
superdeluxe
Seattle Sin Bin
 
superdeluxe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Tukwila, Bellevue
Country: Ukraine
Posts: 2,967
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by gernb View Post
The problem is that the city doesn't own that land outright: http://www.kcra.com/news/Who-owns-Sa...z/-/index.html
Yeah..apparently they have 3 different owners of the sites..underground..the land on it..and the building on the land. Lots of issues.

superdeluxe is offline  
Old
04-02-2013, 05:39 PM
  #699
superdeluxe
Seattle Sin Bin
 
superdeluxe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Tukwila, Bellevue
Country: Ukraine
Posts: 2,967
vCash: 500
“@bcondotta: Just spoke with King County exec Dow Constantine herein NYC for meetings with NBA tomorrow. Said he's here to let NBA know King County...”

“@bcondotta: ... "remains committed to the (arena) agreement we made'' in October. Also says he does expect any insurmountable hurdles arising. ...”

“@bcondotta: ... in the arena plan. The EIS has yet to be concluded but message to NBA will include that transportation issues have already been...”

“@bcondotta: ... addressed with the $40 million included in the arena agreement.”

“@bcondotta: To clarify one of Constantine Tweets, said he does NOT expect any insurmountable obstacles from EIS or legal challenges.”


Timeline:

“@Softykjr: Hearing Seattle group scheduled to make their presentation to #NBA at 11am EST tomorrow in NYC”

superdeluxe is offline  
Old
04-02-2013, 05:57 PM
  #700
gstommylee
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 5,382
vCash: 500
Chris daniels just reported that a group in sacramento has filed a lawsuit block the arena.

gstommylee is online now  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:38 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.