HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Sports > Mixed Martial Arts
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Mixed Martial Arts UFC, Bellator, HDNet Fights, WSOF, MFC, KOTC, One FC, and others

Fight Announcements & Rumors - Part VII (Machida/Munoz *Bisping out)

Closed Thread

Old
03-31-2013, 09:18 PM
Peter Griffin

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs_19 View Post
Any MWs who could take the fight at 205?
Tom Lawlor said he'd take the fight, might have to come down to something like that as I don't see the UFC cancelling it. Maybe Vitor saves the day again? Showdown Joe saying don't be surprised if another event's main or co-main is shifted to help out this event, probably just speculation on his part.

I really don't see the UFC cancelling this card though. Lots of Swedish fans will be pissed off, but the "cards are subject to change" afterall.

Old
03-31-2013, 09:19 PM
SoundwaveIsCharisma

Send a message via AIM to SoundwaveIsCharisma
Hopefully Gustafsson isn't out. Was really looking forward to that fight.

Old
03-31-2013, 11:13 PM
clarke19

Machida? Wants to stay active and walks at like 210 tops.

Would he be up for it?

Old
03-31-2013, 11:24 PM
Peter Griffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarke19 View Post
Machida? Wants to stay active and walks at like 210 tops.

Would he be up for it?
Well he turned down a much more lucrative title fight under similar circumstance so I would say not likely. However, if Gustafsson can't fight on Saturday I would like to see the UFC set him up against Machida sometime this summer, make it the true #1 cotender fight.

Old
03-31-2013, 11:37 PM
CNS
A World Alone

This sucks. Was really, really looking forward to that fight.

Old
04-01-2013, 12:07 AM
Peter Griffin

Ariel Helwani tweeted that Dana told him that the Swedish Athletic Commission hasn't said Gus can't fight and that Gus wants to fight. So, could be much ado about nothing? Or Dana just buying time. I really hope they don't let this drag out a few more days and it turns out he can't fight afterall. Hopefully there is some sort of back-up plan.

http://www.mmafighting.com/2013/3/31...i-has-not-been

Old
04-01-2013, 04:04 AM
CNS
A World Alone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Griffin View Post
Ariel Helwani tweeted that Dana told him that the Swedish Athletic Commission hasn't said Gus can't fight and that Gus wants to fight. So, could be much ado about nothing? Or Dana just buying time. I really hope they don't let this drag out a few more days and it turns out he can't fight afterall. Hopefully there is some sort of back-up plan.

http://www.mmafighting.com/2013/3/31...i-has-not-been
The last guy I'd believe here is Dana. He doesn't want to tip his hand. Saying he's ****ed now and not having an immediate replacement fight would cause mass refunds/selling of tickets.

Old
04-01-2013, 08:04 PM
BGDDYKWL

Gus/Mousasi is 99% off. Wand offered to step in and Mousasi accepted (per twitter). No word yet as to whether or not this will happen. And with it being April Fools today you never know what is definitely true.

Old
04-01-2013, 08:51 PM
Peter Griffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGDDYKWL View Post
Gus/Mousasi is 99% off. Wand offered to step in and Mousasi accepted (per twitter). No word yet as to whether or not this will happen. And with it being April Fools today you never know what is definitely true.
Yea, think you've been had.

"I just asked DW about Wand vs. Mousasi. His response: "Gus is still fighting! It's April fools. Stay of twitter and the net today!" :/"

From Ariel Helwani.

Old
04-02-2013, 09:51 AM
jw2

I don't know the time difference, but several reports about this came out on Sunday afternoon.

Old
04-02-2013, 10:37 AM
m9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jw2 View Post
I don't know the time difference, but several reports about this came out on Sunday afternoon.
Probably April 1st in Sweden.

Old
04-02-2013, 12:08 PM
jw2

Nevermind... I think he is saying Wand-Gegard is the April Fools. I just thought that was Wandi's horrible English-attempt-to-be-funny tweets

Old
04-02-2013, 03:27 PM
Peter Griffin

http://www.mmafighting.com/2013/4/2/...ally-unfit-for

Gus officially off the card. Wandy, it's not longer April 1st, time to get your ass on a plane to Sweden.

Old
04-02-2013, 04:37 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

Has anyone fought in the main event (or at all) on 4 days notice before?

They clearly didn't learn their lesson from last time. There's enough talent in the UFC to have two really good fights on every card and in case there is an injury in the main event, they can just make the other fight the main event. Might have to give everyone their money back now.

Old
04-02-2013, 04:53 PM
MurrayBannerman
Moo Points

Weidman did 10 days in his own weight class. I'm sure someone could do 4 a weight class above.

Old
04-02-2013, 05:03 PM
Fanpuck33

Quote:
Has anyone fought in the main event (or at all) on 4 days notice before?

They clearly didn't learn their lesson from last time. There's enough talent in the UFC to have two really good fights on every card and in case there is an injury in the main event, they can just make the other fight the main event. Might have to give everyone their money back now.
Why would the UFC have to give anyone's money back? When you buy a ticket, it is with the understanding that the card is subject to change. When you purchase a ticket, you take the risk that the fight(s) you are really excited about might not happen.

Let's keep in mind that this is a Fuel card. Fuel only reaches around 25 million homes in the US, compared to bigger cable channels like FX (which reaches 95 million). It wouldn't make sense for the UFC to put numerous headliners on a channel which reaches so few viewers. The Fuel cards pretty much exist to keep the large roster of fighters somewhat active and to give the hardcore fans more fights.

Old
04-02-2013, 05:03 PM
Peter Griffin

Quote:
Might have to give everyone their money back now.
They probably won't, cards are "subject to change" after all. If they do have a replacement in mind, which I hope they would, a MW is almost certain to be involved. Either that or just have a catchweight fight at 215 or so. Mousasi just wants to fight, he'll take on almost anyone at this point I'm sure and the UFC will compensate him accordingly.

Old
04-02-2013, 05:39 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Griffin View Post
They probably won't, cards are "subject to change" after all. If they do have a replacement in mind, which I hope they would, a MW is almost certain to be involved. Either that or just have a catchweight fight at 215 or so. Mousasi just wants to fight, he'll take on almost anyone at this point I'm sure and the UFC will compensate him accordingly.
True but this whole card was built around Gustafsson. Him fighting in his hometown was the entire selling point and that's why people bought tickets. UFC has that disclaimer and they're not obligated to do anything but they're basically robbing the Swedish fans here. I'm sitting here in Edmonton and I'm not spending any money on the card so it doesn't affect me but it's brutal for the people who bought tickets.

Old
04-02-2013, 06:09 PM
Fanpuck33

Quote:
True but this whole card was built around Gustafsson. Him fighting in his hometown was the entire selling point and that's why people bought tickets. UFC has that disclaimer and they're not obligated to do anything but they're basically robbing the Swedish fans here. I'm sitting here in Edmonton and I'm not spending any money on the card so it doesn't affect me but it's brutal for the people who bought tickets.
So everyone with Penguins tickets deserve their money back the rest of the season because they bought the tickets to see him play? Or fans wanting to see the starting goalie play should demand their money back when the backup gets the nod instead?

Old
04-02-2013, 06:31 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanpuck33 View Post
So everyone with Penguins tickets deserve their money back the rest of the season because they bought the tickets to see him play? Or fans wanting to see the starting goalie play should demand their money back when the backup gets the nod instead?
Yes, that's exactly what I meant. Two very similar scenarios.

Was there no "card subject to change" disclaimer when the UFC offered refunds for UFC 147 after Belfort dropped out? They gave the Brazilian fans a three day window to get their money back after their local star got injured. Again, they're not obligated to do anything but they've done it in the past, why can't they do it now?

Old
04-02-2013, 06:31 PM
Live in the Now
YNWA

Awards:
Those people bought tickets to see the Pittsburgh Penguins. The people in Stockholm bought tickets to see their hometown guy fight.

Cancel the card.

Old
04-02-2013, 06:34 PM
Peter Griffin

Quote:
I agree totally, it sucks for the Swedish fans, but that's just how it is. Calgary fans paid a lot, probably more, for the crap they got last year and all they got from Dana was an "I owe you one!". Well now it looks like Calgary won't even be getting a card this year. They may offer the fans the chance to get a refund ala UFC 147, we shall see though. I think they only did that though because they likely knew most Brazillians would still want to watch the event, probably not the same case here.

The only reason the UFC 151 card was scrapped after Dan Henderson pulled out was because it was a PPV and there was no way they were selling that card to fans with a Jake Ellenberger/Jay Hieron headliner. This event they don't have to sell to anyone, it's on Fuel and tickets are already sold.

Old
04-02-2013, 06:57 PM
Live in the Now
YNWA

Awards:
Main event is now Mousasi vs. Iliir Latifa. One for the DVR for me.

Old
04-02-2013, 07:07 PM
CNS
A World Alone

Queen Latifa has a brother?

Old
04-02-2013, 07:09 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live in the Now View Post
Main event is now Mousasi vs. Iliir Latifa. One for the DVR for me.
So much for that ticket refund talk, Swedes still get to see a local hero in the main event. It's all good.

Mousasi probably would have lost but he really could have made a name for himself in the UFC if he beat Gustafsson. Now no one will give a crap if/when he wins.

Closed Thread