HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

Line Discussion Thread

Old
03-31-2013, 04:27 PM
Lundsanity30

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dethomas07 View Post
its def not a ridiculous system.. look at last year.. players are just off this year and are lacking that tenaciousness and hunger attitude they had last year.. gab had 41gs last year how is that based off a poor system.. players are out of position, not dictating the pace of play and on most nights if not all are playing flat at the start of the games, get down and when they get going its to late.. enough with torts hate and system.. it has nothing to do with that.. players are playing flat and tentative instead of attacking.. cut the ****, you cant say its the system when you see barely your top guys moving their legs and battling for loose pucks.. give it up.. watch the game.. not the scoreboard..
it could very well be the system. like you said.. players are playing flat and tentative. perhaps, they just dont care to play the system any longer. It certainly seems like both Gaborik and Hank are fed up with it.

Lundsanity30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2013, 05:00 PM
NewLife

vCash: 50
At Montreal they responded well on the quick goal they scored, some lines looked good, here Torts need to chill down and let them just play.
He just confusing the players.

Try out something at practice and let the same guys play with for a whole game.

NewLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2013, 05:03 PM
Heyoooo*

It is the system.

Why? Because its obvious the team outside of 3 players dont want to play in it, and frankly, I dont blame them. Its **** to play, and **** to watch.

Last year worked because it was a perfect storm, and the mentality of the team taking "the next step" was there.

That **** doesnt last long.

Heyoooo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 08:58 AM
dethomas07

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenjets36 View Post
Sorry if you think this is a message with continuity, i'm writing in response to each of your points which also lack continuity:

I looked at and remember last year. We had the same goal scoring problems.

Lack of hunger attitude stems from the coach as much as it does the players. Just something else to keep in mind.

1 player scoring 41 goals is not an indication of a successful system, it is a testament to that player's abilities.

I don't have hate for Torts. However, his system is not what hockey is about. It actually ruins hockey in my opinion. We have pure goal scorers on this team who get benched for not having strong board play... The net is not along the boards, while that may be something to harp on in practice and try and improve on I doubt a consistent nightly benching of Chris Kreider, or Marion Gaborik, or whoever happens to find themselves in the doghouse will yield us much results. In addition, our coach makes no in game adjustments and bases the majority of his decisions on "gut feelings". When you keep sending Brad Richards out on the shoot out your gut is wrong, John.

Players are playing flat and tentative instead of attacking... Our system is not based on attacking. If forechecking is what you call attacking you have a gross misinterpretation of attacking in hockey. What the Penguins do, create incredibly consistent offensive zone chances... that's attacking. Pinning the puck behind the net with 3 skaters and then passing the puck along one side of the boards to the next to the point men until they shoot wide of the net in hope of a deflection... that's not attacking. If what you mean is our guys are not playing with energy? Yes, that would be a correct observation. But attacking? Our system inhibits the notion of attacking most nights. Get caught out of position up ice and you're likely losing ice time or being reamed out. Players are afraid to attack here.

"give it up... watch the game... not the scoreboard"

I'm watching the game. We look like ****. I'm also watching the scoreboard. It looks like **** (for us). The funny thing is, the scoreboard is usually a really good indicator of the team's game (consistently of course. I'm not talking about a 2 game sample size where we have 0 goals). We've beaten like 4 playoff teams this entire season. That's a scary statistic. We have the least goals in the league... that's a scary statistic. I don't see your point. Our "game" looks like ****. Our moral looks like ****. Maybe, just maybe, its cause our system is **** too...
It is hard to argue your points bc those are scary categories to be in.. we just dont have an identity.. and its tru about gabs abilities over system bc he played in the most defensive system in the NHL with Min and still had success.. your point is so true!..however the effort from him has to be better.. he paid to lead this team offensively as is Richards.. I dont think its the system as much as its these guys not being successful and contributing.. our success is based off of how well they are playing.. if our top scorer and 1c arent playing well we arent goign to go anywhere.. and Forechecking is everything in this league... if you have a good forecheck you dictate the game and you either get possession of the puck or create turn overs into chances.. thats not an issue..

but i like your points.. i think theres so much going on right now.. sooner or later somethings going to have to change..

Would you guys trade something around Gaborik, top prospect, and 3rd (FL) for Pavelski+

next year buyout richards if possible.. just thinking outside the box for fun, not that its possible..

Hags-Stepan-Nash
Zuk-Pavelski-Horton (sign him)
Kreider-Miller-Callahan
(sign him) Torres-Boyle-Haley

dethomas07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 09:04 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heyoooo* View Post
It is the system.

Why? Because its obvious the team outside of 3 players dont want to play in it, and frankly, I dont blame them. Its **** to play, and **** to watch.

Last year worked because it was a perfect storm, and the mentality of the team taking "the next step" was there.

That **** doesnt last long.
So whats the story with this group? They dont have an interest in taking the next step? Doesnt seem like any coach would have much luck with that.

No matter what system is played, some semblance of interest usually helps.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 09:25 AM
egelband

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundsanity30 View Post
The lines should be very simple.... hags-step-nash, kreider-richards-gaborik. Zucc-miller-callahan. Powe-boyle-asham and just leave them the **** alone
totally agree. use pyatt on the fourth line sometimes. let them play and quit effing with their heads. these guys are more worried about missing a defensive assignment than scoring goals!

egelband is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 10:24 PM
Miller Time NYR

vCash: 150
Torts needs to either play Kreider in top 6/ top 9 minutes or send him down this is no way to develop a prospect and its becoming a joke, him realizing miller can't be trusted is a start but I can't say the same for Kreider, dudes going to make mistakes but IMO his small defensive mistakes are outweighed by his offensive potential, which can't come to fruition playing on the fourth line for 6 minutes.

Miller Time NYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 10:28 PM
Lundsanity30

Nash needs to stay on the LW... That's the top line LW this team needs.. especially when you already got Gabby and Cally on the RW.

LW - Nash, Hags, Kreider, Miller
RW - Gabs, Cally, Zucc
C - Stepan, Richards, ?, Boyle

Lundsanity30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 10:49 AM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Jesper Fast is on the ice today with the Rangers for practice at MSG Training Center, wearing No. 12 #NYR #NHL
-NYDNRangers

Nice. I'm more than a little excited to see him play on the big club.

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 10:55 AM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Fast's addition to roster does not require a send-down to #AHL. Rangers had 22 active after sending Newbury back down to @CTWhale
-NYDNRangers

The great Newbury demotion mystery solved.

EDIT: As is the bottom 6 combinations mystery.

Quote:
By jersey color, Fast is paired with Boyle and Pyatt. Green jerseys are Miller, Kreider, Powe, Asham #NYR
-NYDNRangers

Last edited by BrooklynRangersFan: 04-02-2013 at 11:01 AM.
Old
04-02-2013, 11:02 AM
silverfish
Not a GM

Skating with Boyle and Pyatt. Wouldn't put too much into that line though, chances are at least one of those guys won't be a Ranger Wednesday night.

silverfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 11:02 AM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverfish View Post
Skating with Boyle and Pyatt. Wouldn't put too much into that line though, chances are at least one of those guys won't be a Ranger Wednesday night.
From your lips...

Old
04-02-2013, 11:04 AM
haohmaru
boomshakalaka

If Fast(h) sticks and the Rangers don't do anything at the deadline, I'm thinking Kreider sticks and Miller is sent down. Miller has made the more brutal defensive mistakes.

Although, Fast is yet another RW.

haohmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 11:05 AM
silverfish
Not a GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by haohmaru View Post
If Fast(h) sticks and the Rangers don't do anything at the deadline, I'm thinking Kreider sticks and Miller is sent down. Miller has made the more brutal defensive mistakes.

You dream. Kreider is the first to go down, no way around it with this coach.

I suspect it might not happen until after Wednesday though, see what Sather does at the deadline and who Torts needs to keep around. Writing is on the wall though for both players, especially after last night's game and Torts' presser.

silverfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 11:09 AM
haohmaru
boomshakalaka

And rightfully so, IMHO. They are terrible, no, TERRIBLE, defensively.

haohmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 11:15 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:

Fortunately Fast is capable of playing on the left side as well. He has done it before and is comfortable there.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 12:23 PM
PMII
Shattendeuces

Andrew Gross @AGrossRecord
Torts says Jesper Fast skating with #NYR today just a function of team wanting to see him on ice, not indication he's playing tomorrow.

04-02-2013, 04:42 PM
blalinjen

Quote:
And rightfully so, IMHO. They are terrible, no, TERRIBLE, defensively.
I might be missing something (and I don't have the luxury of watching JM and CK in practice) but I haven't really seen any real breakdowns in Kreider's defensive zone play since his return from CT. I thought, to be honest, that he looked really solid against the Flyers and didn't see the same timid play that characterized his game earlier in the year.

Again, I'm sure there is a reason why Torts doesn't trust him out there but I thought that he was bringing more positive than negatives to the club when he was logging ice time.

blalinjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 04:45 PM
JohnC

Quote:
Originally Posted by blalinjen View Post
I might be missing something (and I don't have the luxury of watching JM and CK in practice) but I haven't really seen any real breakdowns in Kreider's defensive zone play since his return from CT. I thought, to be honest, that he looked really solid against the Flyers and didn't see the same timid play that characterized his game earlier in the year.
Kreider was clearing the crease better than our D men

JohnC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 04:49 PM
RGY
Kreid or Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcman View Post
Kreider was clearing the crease better than our D men
THIS. That is the sad truth. Kreider was playing with an edge. But hey, let's demote him to the 4th line and continue to play Miller ahead of him....

RGY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 05:32 PM
Vitto79

Clowe, Richards, Gaborik............... the underachieving line that NEEDS to produce moving forward

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 06:02 PM
Miller Time NYR

vCash: 150
imagine clowe comes in and gets both richards and gaborik going

Miller Time NYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 06:03 PM
The Gloaming
Free Jesper Fast

Let's get this thread fired back up!

Nash-Steps-Cally
Zucc-Beaver-Gabs
Hags-Boyle-Clowe (IDK if Hags or Clowe can play RW, I know that they're both LW's)
Miller/Fast/Kreider/Asham/whoever else we have

We still need a 3C. Other than that, it looks pretty good.

The Gloaming is offline   Reply With Quote