Notices

General OT Thread #28: Hoppy's Luck Guides Our Puck

Closed Thread

Old
04-02-2013, 02:59 PM
TLow97

vCash: 500
I'm debating going back to school.

I currently have a Bachelor's degree from a private liberal arts college, but in more a theological field. It's a fine degree and I don't necessarily regret working toward it, but I'm pretty positive that it doesn't "wow" anyone.

I had gone to seminary for three years and quit, and my part-time job ended up becoming a full-time job (Customer Account Rep, hourly wage). I had actually applied for school last year but determined that I could not afford to take out an exuberant amount of student loan money.

I'm almost 30 years old, and hate to think I'll be stuck at this job well into my 30s. Any advice?

Old
04-02-2013, 03:07 PM
MuckOG
The Brodin Effect

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by TLow97 View Post
I'm debating going back to school.

I currently have a Bachelor's degree from a private liberal arts college, but in more a theological field. It's a fine degree and I don't necessarily regret working toward it, but I'm pretty positive that it doesn't "wow" anyone.

I had gone to seminary for three years and quit, and my part-time job ended up becoming a full-time job (Customer Account Rep, hourly wage). I had actually applied for school last year but determined that I could not afford to take out an exuberant amount of student loan money.

I'm almost 30 years old, and hate to think I'll be stuck at this job well into my 30s. Any advice?
What line of work interests you? I wouldn't spend the money to go back to school unless you knew exactly what it is you'll be working towards.

Old
04-02-2013, 03:18 PM
TLow97

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuckOG View Post
What line of work interests you? I wouldn't spend the money to go back to school unless you knew exactly what it is you'll be working towards.
When I applied for school last summer, my objective was to pursue Accounting. I understand it gets a reputation of being a boring-ass occupation, but it's a good-paying boring-ass occupation. An advisor suggested that, since I already have a Bachelor's degree, I should pursue an MBA.

So the short of it is that I'd likely look toward business fields.

Old
04-02-2013, 03:42 PM
Puhis
@Puhis46

Send a message via MSN to Puhis Send a message via Skype™ to Puhis
Quote:
When I applied for school last summer, my objective was to pursue Accounting. I understand it gets a reputation of being a boring-ass occupation, but it's a good-paying boring-ass occupation. An advisor suggested that, since I already have a Bachelor's degree, I should pursue an MBA.

At least Finland and Sweden offer free studies. Even with the living costs and stuff, it will probably be cheaper than going the US route, not to mention that the courses are mostly available in English, too.

Old
04-02-2013, 03:42 PM
Uberdachen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallenity View Post
The newest episode of GoT was good, although the final Dany scene left me somewhat confused, with it differing from the books. Although I might just remember the books wrong.

I do like how they are developing Tyrion more as a character in the series, giving him some motivations and aspirations, while in the books I always felt his actions were rather impulsive instead of motivated by his own agenda.

Good to have Game of Thrones back.
Every scene of his from that episode was pretty much straight out of the books as far as I recall.
He also seemed like one of the most prominent, fully-developed characters in the books to me. Pretty quickly became one of my favorites in all of literature.

What differed in the Dany scene? I don't really remember it, but having just raced through the second season I know they've definitely been changing a lot of stuff at the end.

Old
04-02-2013, 04:08 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Quote:

That's a tricky one.

Usually, to get an MBA, you need to be in the field already and it's very expensive. In theory, that's what you'd want to do, but you would have to start out at entry level and work from there.

I have a BA in Economics and I think a lot of doors are closed on me. If I went Finance or Accounting, I think I'd have a much better job.

I've been in Finance for eight years now, it's really not all that boring, sure it's not like lion taming or anything but it can be challenging, satisfying work.

My two cents, take a couple classes in basic accounting or finance if you can, talk to a temp agency or staffing place, try and get an entry level finance job. I would guess even the $25k per year stuff would be at least a lateral move from what you're doing now? Or network, see if someone will give you a shot at an entry level job. Foot in the door, man.

Old
04-02-2013, 04:17 PM
tomgilbertfan
u wot m8

You have to Pay to get your masters in business?

Old
04-02-2013, 04:20 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Well yeah an MBA program usually costs $20k on up. If you're lucky your employer will pay for some/all of it...

Old
04-02-2013, 04:23 PM
tomgilbertfan
u wot m8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Well yeah an MBA program usually costs $20k on up. If you're lucky your employer will pay for some/all of it...
Wow, crazy different worlds we're in. If you're paying for your masters in a science you shouldn't be at that school. Generally the school should be paying you ~20K to get your masters there.

Old
04-02-2013, 04:24 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Where are they giving free masters degrees?

Old
04-02-2013, 04:26 PM
tomgilbertfan
u wot m8

Quote:
Where are they giving free masters degrees?
In the sciences you're working in a lab and generally TA'ing. So you get paid for those two things and if you're going in more debt you're doing it wrong. Granted things like pre-professional schools will put you in more debt but a masters program for biology shouldn't.

Old
04-02-2013, 04:45 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Ah, I see. Yeah, MBA's are expensive.

Old
04-02-2013, 04:52 PM
BigT2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomgilbertfan View Post
In the sciences you're working in a lab and generally TA'ing. So you get paid for those two things and if you're going in more debt you're doing it wrong. Granted things like pre-professional schools will put you in more debt but a masters program for biology shouldn't.
So you're working and paying for it. My employer is paying for my Masters and I still have a GI Bill sitting around for the PhD if I decide to haven't paid a dime on any of my degrees yet.

Old
04-02-2013, 04:55 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Good call. If I served in the military I would get them for every last penny I could.

Old
04-02-2013, 04:58 PM
tomgilbertfan
u wot m8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT2002 View Post
So you're working and paying for it. My employer is paying for my Masters and I still have a GI Bill sitting around for the PhD if I decide to haven't paid a dime on any of my degrees yet.
If you're in a less well funded field and have to pay tuition I guess you could look at it that way, putting the schooling and working together, but either way you're not going further in debt.

Also damn you military people and your GI Bill.

Old
04-02-2013, 05:04 PM
tyratoku

I changed my major today. From Air Traffic Control to Human Resources Management. It's not official, but I set up an appointment with an adviser and I am talking to them toward the end of the month. My mom has done HRM for the last 20 years and loves it, I mentored under one of her old bosses my senior year for a semester and exchanged emails with him and followed him around for a day and I really enjoyed it, and really I think it's a good decision. ATC was just...I am not interested in it at all past the money. It was as simple as that for me, and I don't want to deal with all that ****ing stress. Ugh.

Also, had my first practice with the "B" team. I don't want to badmouth anybody, but holy **** there are only 3-4 guys on offense that know how to actually score and cycle the ball. We have like 5-6 guys that it's their first time ever playing. Our goalie can't stop a ball. Our defense is decent, with a handful of guys from some big cities schools and they have some skill, but wow. Can't win games if you can't score goals.

Old
04-02-2013, 05:05 PM
BigT2002

Quote:
Good call. If I served in the military I would get them for every last penny I could.
It has been a great little perk.

Quote:
If you're in a less well funded field and have to pay tuition I guess you could look at it that way, putting the schooling and working together, but either way you're not going further in debt.

Also damn you military people and your GI Bill.
I would never get a Graduate degree unless my work was paying for it. Period. The whole point of getting that (least in my line of work) is to solidify your CV and make the employer look good. Certainly am not doing a Thesis for my health.

Just remember, I have given a decade of my life to being in less than desired locations (although Eastern Europe was pretty fun lol)...of which I may be going to Afghaniland again this summer.

Old
04-02-2013, 05:06 PM
BigT2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyratoku View Post
I changed my major today. From Air Traffic Control to Human Resources Management. It's not official, but I set up an appointment with an adviser and I am talking to them toward the end of the month. My mom has done HRM for the last 20 years and loves it, I mentored under one of her old bosses my senior year for a semester and exchanged emails with him and followed him around for a day and I really enjoyed it, and really I think it's a good decision. ATC was just...I am not interested in it at all past the money. It was as simple as that for me, and I don't want to deal with all that ****ing stress. Ugh.

Also, had my first practice with the "B" team. I don't want to badmouth anybody, but holy **** there are only 3-4 guys on offense that know how to actually score and cycle the ball. We have like 5-6 guys that it's their first time ever playing. Our goalie can't stop a ball. Our defense is decent, with a handful of guys from some big cities schools and they have some skill, but wow. Can't win games if you can't score goals.
I would of told you if you're trying to go ATC to just do Air Force and get rated that way. 6 month school and the FAA test and you're golden. After 4 years give em the deuces and do real ATC work.

Old
04-02-2013, 05:13 PM
tyratoku

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT2002 View Post
I would of told you if you're trying to go ATC to just do Air Force and get rated that way. 6 month school and the FAA test and you're golden. After 4 years give em the deuces and do real ATC work.
I thought about that, or going the Army or Navy route. I scored a 93 on the ASVAB and had local recruiters practically drooling at me senior year of high school when I started showing interest. I was born down in Fort Hood and come from a few generations of military veterans. It just wasn't my cup of tea, no offense.

I talked to my ATC adviser last year for an interview for a class. He worked ATC towers for 25 years or something. From his FAA graduating class or whatever he called it, he and one other guy were the only people out of ~26 that were still in their first marriage. Stress just gets to people and I would really prefer not to have to deal with that.

Old
04-02-2013, 05:20 PM
Puhis
@Puhis46

Send a message via MSN to Puhis Send a message via Skype™ to Puhis
At least take a look.

Old
04-02-2013, 05:21 PM
BigT2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyratoku View Post
I thought about that, or going the Army or Navy route. I scored a 93 on the ASVAB and had local recruiters practically drooling at me senior year of high school when I started showing interest. I was born down in Fort Hood and come from a few generations of military veterans. It just wasn't my cup of tea, no offense.

I talked to my ATC adviser last year for an interview for a class. He worked ATC towers for 25 years or something. From his FAA graduating class or whatever he called it, he and one other guy were the only people out of ~26 that were still in their first marriage. Stress just gets to people and I would really prefer not to have to deal with that.
Hopefully no one is ever offended by that lord knows I'm not. I loved what I did on Active Duty and its fine being in the Weekend Warrior program back home now.

Old
04-02-2013, 06:47 PM
Dampland

vCash: 528
I'm not going to lie ..... that new Wendy's girl makes me feel funny down below. Can't say what it is, but she gets me going.

Old
04-02-2013, 06:59 PM
Minnesota
Global Moderator
L'Étoile du Nord

vCash: 1124

Old
04-02-2013, 07:00 PM
tomgilbertfan
u wot m8

Old
04-02-2013, 07:05 PM
Dampland

vCash: 528
Quote:
Yep, I'm talking to you Tom Gilbert fan!

Closed Thread