HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ryane Clowe to Rangers for NYR 2013 2nd, FLA 2013 3rd, Conditional 2nd 2014

Old
04-02-2013, 07:59 PM
Richter Scale

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWOW View Post
If you're referring to Gaborik, I somewhat agree, although I think Gaborik is healthy where Clowe might be favoring his shoulder

I don't think Sather is done, at least in terms of getting assets to replace what he just lost.

Its a decent risk. We lost Antropov and Morris for nothing but those trades helped them into the playoffs. If Clowe can do that, I'm all for it.
I actually agree with going after Clowe, but disagree with your rationale here. If this is just a short term move to help them eek into the playoffs this year, I'll be disappointed and think Sather has reverted to being a dumbass. On the other hand, if Sather has plans to keep him on for a few years, and this was just to get him here on the cheap and make sure another team didn't gobble him up, then I'm happy (as long as no ridiculous contracts are given out).

Richter Scale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
No current prospects, but the draft picks, those ARE prospects, of the future kind.
A second rounder has a 20% shot of making the NHL. A third has a 10% chance. 20%+20%+10%=50%. The math doesn't work out exactly like this, as every math whiz here will no doubt point out, but to say that what we gave up stands only a 50-50 chance of cracking the NHL would be roughly accurate. The odds that one of these players turns out as good as Clowe are maybe 15%.

Beacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

Well I’ll start by saying I have been on-board with Clowe for a while now. Overall, I can’t wait to see him as a Ranger.

Some thoughts:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ”PROS”
-Addresses team toughness in a big way. Clowe is a top-notch fighter, hitter, and stands up for his teammates. I believe that was a huge missing element for the Rangers this year. It will build confidence and, as much as I hate the word, “swag”.

-Last 4 years; 45-60pt pace, roughly 20 goals. No slouch offensively. Good hands, good shot, tough to move from the front of the net.

-3rd on SJ in assists this year.

-Has an “unsustainably low shooting percentage”, for all the advanced stats guys out there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ”CONS”
-He has scored zero goals this year. If he’s a rental, I’m not sure how much scoring punch he will directly add this year considering…

-By all accounts, he’s pretty banged up. Could have nagging issues this year, but more importantly raises some red flags for giving him a long term extension.

-Which if he is not resigned, makes a 2nd + potentially the first pick of the 3rd round a damn steep price for 15 games.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ”X-FACTORS”
-If the plan, as has been speculated by Bobby Mac and others, is for Clowe to ink an extension with his new team – gotta think this is another sign that Gabby is gone at the draft. More $ committed.

-Wonder if the tremendous development of three prospects this year made the staff comfortable with losing the picks. In order of surpassed expectations, Lindberg, Nieves, and Fast all made incredible strides.

04-02-2013, 08:00 PM
Machinehead
Hank, pls

Quote:
Originally Posted by beef 4 lunch View Post
We have the pieces we need:
-Punishing power forward
-high scoring sniper
-Rick Nash (enough said)
-Super solid D
-Elite goalie
-A captain that bleeds blue
-And some good extras.

Not sure why we are where we are right now

04-02-2013, 08:02 PM
Richter Scale

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
Who?

Who?

What might they be?

I'm with you on all of that cept for the first 'Who?'

Clowe fills that role now. Here is a good summary/video of him from NHL.com for people unfamiliar with him: http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=661630

Old
04-02-2013, 08:02 PM
theJUMPER

On the bright side, they are Rangers picks that were given up.

God knows this front office can't draft for **** anyways.

theJUMPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 08:04 PM
SML

This team lost an awful lot this year. I think the players that left took an awful lot with them. So often this team has been lifeless and gets nothing going. Prust left a huge hole. I don't like this deal that much, because he is a UFA and thats alot to give for a guy having his worst season as a pro. I have always liked the guy and hope he turns it around here. I don't like that he makes 1M$ more than Prust after he got his raise. Kinda wish we had that one to do over, I probably would have just kept Prust.

SML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
NYR Viper

Like the player and if he resigns I'm happy. I have a feeling they aren't done.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
RegalRangers

vCash: 783
I'm very happy about this. We needed a top 6 guy who's difficult to play against. He's gonna hit hard, be physical, agitate the opposition with his puck possession on the boards (what I miss most about Dubi) and get the home crowd and some of the players into the game.

I'd still like to move either boyle and/or pyatt for a more capable defenseman than eminger/hamrlik but that might be a tall order.

RegalRangers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravey9 View Post
This is from NHL on my facebook feed...great stat.
"Clowe = Playoff Grit. He exits San Jose ranked 3rd all-time in franchise playoff scoring (45 pts in 68 playoff games) and as their all-time leader in playoff penalty minutes (97 PIMs)."
Which is cool until you find out that SJ has a reputation of being playoff chumps after very good regular seasons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beacon View Post
A second rounder has a 20% shot of making the NHL. A third has a 10% chance. 20%+20%+10%=50%. The math doesn't work out exactly like this, as every math whiz here will no doubt point out, but to say that what we gave up stands only a 50-50 chance of cracking the NHL would be roughly accurate. The odds that one of these players turns out as good as Clowe are maybe 15%.
That diatribe is for losers who don't know what they're doing.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 08:05 PM
NY Lito
Blueshirt Pride

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
He's the SOLE reason. Not Gaborik scoring 3 in the last 25, or Richards playing like dog ****. Or the fact we had 50% forward turnover, losing a **** ton of depth.

Fire Torts, and the Cup is ours.

NY Lito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 08:06 PM
Machinehead
Hank, pls

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Lito View Post
He's the SOLE reason. Not Gaborik scoring 3 in the last 25, or Richards playing like dog ****.

Fire Torts, and the Cup is ours.
Not the sole reason, but he's up there. Richards is right there with him.

Machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 08:07 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by theJUMPER View Post
On the bright side, they are Rangers picks that were given up.

God knows this front office can't draft for **** anyways.
Stepan
Staal
Hagelin
Del Zotto
Kreider
Miller
Lundqvist

Ail
k.

I swore Brad Richards was the last player I put my faith in to being brought to NY to change this, or do that, or improve something. I was pretty high on Nash, but considering his age and resume, it's hard not to have faith in him. Clowe on the other hand, needs to prove this isn't just another Sather move we all end up hating.

Guess we'll see, but I'm not banking on him becoming a 50 point player anytime soon.

rip
Ail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
NY Lito
Blueshirt Pride

Quote:
Not the sole reason, but he's up there. Richards is right there with him.
And Gaborik. And losing almost all of our good bottom 6 guys.

One (shortened) season folks. Torts and this team will be fine. We need(ed) time to replenish what was lost in the Nash trade/UFA.

Clowe is the start of that.

Old
04-02-2013, 08:08 PM
Lundsanity30

If resigning him is gonna cost us another year at a run (with a better bottom 6) with Gaborik and Nash together, this organization is ****ing stupid.

Lundsanity30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 08:08 PM
NY Lito
Blueshirt Pride

Quote:
Stepan
Staal
Hagelin
Del Zotto
Kreider
Miller
Lundqvist
No. The Rangers can't draft for ****, and our team is a bunch of overpaid mercenaries. Oh wait, this isn't 2003? You would think it is with how some fans talk.

Old
04-02-2013, 08:09 PM
ImIdaho
Choo-Choo-Choose me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravey9 View Post
This is from NHL on my facebook feed...great stat.
"Clowe = Playoff Grit. He exits San Jose ranked 3rd all-time in franchise playoff scoring (45 pts in 68 playoff games) and as their all-time leader in playoff penalty minutes (97 PIMs)."
Stanley Cup, here we come!

ImIdaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 08:10 PM
Richter Scale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
Which is cool until you find out that SJ has a reputation of being playoff chumps after very good regular seasons.
True, but the fact that he MAINTAINED his regular season ppg in the playoffs DESPITE his team being 'playoff chumps' would seemingly be a good sign about his playoff performance, yes? If hes playing on a team that chokes in the playoffs, but he continues to shine, would that not be a good thing? Man, use logic people.

Old
04-02-2013, 08:10 PM
Machinehead
Hank, pls

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Lito View Post
And Gaborik. And losing almost all of our good bottom 6 guys.

One (shortened) season folks. Torts and this team will be fine. We need(ed) time to replenish what was lost in the Nash trade/UFA.

Clowe is the start of that.
Gaborik, I think just isn't gonna play for Torts anymore. One of them has to go, and if speculation true, it's probably Gaborik at the draft.

But I was never a Torts fan, not even last year.

Machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 08:11 PM
JohnC
#FreeSteve

Quote:
Stepan
Staal
Hagelin
Del Zotto
Kreider
Miller
Lundqvist

JohnC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Lundsanity30

Quote:
Gaborik, I think just isn't gonna play for Torts anymore. One of them has to go, and if speculation true, it's probably Gaborik at the draft.

But I was never a Torts fan, not even last year.
and then when Gaborik is gone and Torts has "his players"and we don't win the cup again, whats gonna be his excuse then?

Lundsanity30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
beef 4 lunch

Quote:
Who?

Who?

What might they be?
You're right. Our entire team is crap. If we only had our precious 2nd round draft picks everything would be swell!

beef 4 lunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 08:12 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcman View Post
I feel shame.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 08:12 PM
Senorchris

Jees, pretty clear that a pretty large chunk of this board have never seen the guy play. Being a displaced Rangers fan over here in the bay area, I watch probably ~50% of Sharks games, and have watched Clowe a ton over the years. He's definitely having a down year (hence the low-ish price we got him for) due to injuries and luck, but he's (potentially, if he rounds back into form) exactly what the Rangers are missing (and what they traded/let leave in FA last summer) - a Dubinsky/Prust hybrid. He plays with heart comparable to Prust, hits to hurt (with the hockey sense to be actually be able to intercept players), and has Dubinsky-comparable offensive instincts (better passer, doesn't quite have the shot). He's probably not as defensively aware as either.

The potential downsides is that he's currently pretty snakebitten (still trying, just nothing is going in for the chap), and seems to have lost a step or two (most people think due to playing with minor injuries). The upside is that this potentially fills a hole - he's a natural LW, and will do a lot of the dirty work for our very not dirty top-6 (Callahan excluded).

I can't wait to see a line of him, Nash, and Stepan - or be the potential foil to Richards and Gaborik.

Senorchris is offline   Reply With Quote