HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

Buffalo Bills - Off-Season 2013 (Draft day draft day gotta get down on draft day)

Closed Thread

Old
04-02-2013, 01:32 PM
Rob Paxon
Z E M G U S

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Rob Paxon
This is exactly what the Bills needed to unlock the potential for a hybrid, disguised Pettine defense featuring versatile front players like Mario, Kyle, Dareus, Anderson, and Lawson. NT in 3-4 fronts, but he can also play DT in 4-3 either rotating in for Kyle+Dareus, or allowing one of those to slide over in certain situations. If Troup can get on the field, he would still have a possible place backing up Branch in a similar role.

A truly dynamic outside pass rusher who can play OLB and DE depending on scheme is something that would be a gamechanger for this defense, as would a 3 down linebacker. But things are looking pretty solid, this move was important.

Old
04-02-2013, 01:34 PM
Layne Staley
The Future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takeo View Post
Agreed. He's the best NT on the roster and should do a decent job on rush downs. I thought they may take a DE in the draft, but the line is looking very solid now. Carrington is great staying as a utility, depth player. He was originally drafted for the 3-4 front.
Yeah the DL is set.No need to use our limited picks on one.Troup is probably gone unless he impresses in TC.Kind of ironic that Branch was the 33rd pick in 07 and the 34th pick was our old friend Paul Posluszny and 2 picks after Poz was picked, the 36th pick is our new QB Kevin Kolb.

That 07 draft was amazing.Megatron,AP,Revis,Patrick Willis,Marshawn,Bowe,Weddle,Lamar Woodley etc the 07 draft was arguably one of the best in recent history.

Old
04-02-2013, 01:41 PM
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myllz View Post
An actual NT? In Buffalo? What's going on, what year is this?
If only it was yesterday we could sit and claim nice April Fools joke all afternoon....lol

Old
04-02-2013, 01:43 PM
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked

Quote:
Jason La Canfora ‏@JasonLaCanfora 5m Alan Branch strikes a 1yr, $3M deal with the Bills. Can make another $350K in incentives

I like the signing. Sounds like he was plan B after DeVito. Branch frees up Dareus and Williams to play the ends. Critical to Pettine's D.
What I don't like is it's one year. So if he's really good this year I wouldn't expect him back.

Old
04-02-2013, 01:50 PM
BuiltTagonTough
Stand still laddy!

Not a superstar, but the money is right and he's good depth/versatility.

Now draft me a linebacker.

Old
04-02-2013, 01:52 PM
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked

Back to Kolb for 5 seconds:

Quote:
Pro Football Focus‏@PFF30 Mar
@RealJasonMDavis Cardinals OL averaged over 13 total pressures per game last season, Bills averaged 7.
Quote:
Pro Football Focus‏@PFF30 Mar
@RealJasonMDavis Kolb suffered 10 drops in just 183 attempts. Was accurate on 84% of his passes before being hurt.

Old
04-02-2013, 02:22 PM
Husko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Paxon View Post
This is exactly what the Bills needed to unlock the potential for a hybrid, disguised Pettine defense featuring versatile front players like Mario, Kyle, Dareus, Anderson, and Lawson. NT in 3-4 fronts, but he can also play DT in 4-3 either rotating in for Kyle+Dareus, or allowing one of those to slide over in certain situations. If Troup can get on the field, he would still have a possible place backing up Branch in a similar role.

A truly dynamic outside pass rusher who can play OLB and DE depending on scheme is something that would be a gamechanger for this defense, as would a 3 down linebacker. But things are looking pretty solid, this move was important.
I'm pretty sure that's what they're expecting out of Manny Lawson.

Dareus-Branch-Williams-Wiliams as four down lineman in running situations? That I like

Old
04-02-2013, 02:33 PM
Takeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Husko View Post
Except for the "truly dynamic" part. Although this is what I'm afraid of.

Lawson is obviously not a Suggs/Pace/Woodley/Miller/etc. They need one of those guys, and they're in a good position at #8 to get one. At this point, the only position I would remotely be okay with other than OLB is LT (or Milliner if he slid).

Old
04-02-2013, 02:38 PM
Husko

Quote:
Except for the "truly dynamic" part. Although this is what I'm afraid of.

Lawson is obviously not a Suggs/Pace/Woodley/Miller/etc. They need one of those guys, and they're in a good position at #8 to get one. At this point, the only position I would remotely be okay with other than OLB is LT (or Milliner if he slid).
Orrr, I could also see the scheme being...

Mario-Kyle-Branch-Dareus-Lawson

With Lawson and Mario both getting significant time down and up.

In which case, I think having two, solid, dependable MLBs becomes very important.

Do we have one?

Old
04-02-2013, 03:12 PM
Imlach a cup

How dare WGR txt me for a non hockey move. Giving a man a heart attack this close trade deadline.

Old
04-02-2013, 03:54 PM
HockeyH3aven
#Flynnsanity

The Bills still haven't officially signed Kolb.

Old
04-02-2013, 04:14 PM
FanboySlayer*

He's awful, he's a downgrade from Fitzpatrick actually. They will draft a QB and whoever that is will be given an opportunity to win the job, that's how the NFL is these days, you don't hand a rookie a clipboard for 3 years.

They need a stud receiver, big and fast. Of course they have needs all over the place.

Defense doesn't win championships in the NFL these days, there are many teams in the league who can put 30+ on the board against any defense so you better have an offense that can do the same.

Old
04-02-2013, 04:26 PM
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Husko View Post

Dareus-Branch-Williams-Wiliams as four down lineman in running situations? That I like
Where does Mark Anderson fit in now?

Old
04-02-2013, 04:28 PM
Daz28

Quote:
Originally Posted by BK Triple Threat View Post
Back to Kolb for 5 seconds:
If Kolb was taking double the pressures Fitz was, it's amazing he did ANYTHING. Fitz took a lot of hits last year(many ala Pears), and showed a ton of toughness playing through it. I'm going to give Kolb a chance to prove himself before I do any bashing. You can't, repeat can't do any worse than a QB that defenses are aware can't throw down-field. Now, if Kolb is to succeed(not just do ok), then we're going to need pass protection. I think a lot of fans greatly exaggerated how good our line was, especially as protectors. It's no wonder our screen game was so good, the defenders EXPECTED to walk right past them.

Quote:
Where does Mark Anderson fit in now?
...and Kyle Moore. I think he's still a UFA, but I can't see us going into camp w/o him as a depth player. If he continues to learn, and continues to improve, he may force himself into the lineup.

Old
04-02-2013, 05:10 PM
Takeo

A downgrade from Fitzpatrick haha

Old
04-02-2013, 05:13 PM
CraniumCram
Syracuse '14

Screw it, give me Jarvis Jones, maybe we could even trade back and still get him, then whatever QB they're aiming for.
(Nassib. Aside: I think its a bit of a smokescreen that they're bringing in all these QB's, and bringing in Nassib last if I recall correctly, because I think they're going to target him in the late first, early second.)

Jones is an absolute baller, and if we can move down and acquire more picks, more power to us.
He would make this defense absolutely dynamic! So many versatile players.
Just imagine a 4:3 front of:

Dareus-Branch-Meatball-Mario

Lawson/Bradham-Sheppard-Jarvis Jones/Anderson

Or a 3:4 front of:

Dareus-Branch-Meatball

Mario-Lawson-Bradham-Anderson/Jones

Dareus and Mario coming from one side, with Anderson and Meatball coming from the other?
Holy ****
O-coordinators would have fits trying to scheme for us. One of the other Cornerbacks develops into a solid #2, and this defense looks meeeeeeeean.

Old
04-02-2013, 06:03 PM
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked

Quote:
Originally Posted by cramdizzl View Post
Screw it, give me Jarvis Jones, maybe we could even trade back and still get him, then whatever QB they're aiming for.
(Nassib. Aside: I think its a bit of a smokescreen that they're bringing in all these QB's, and bringing in Nassib last if I recall correctly, because I think they're going to target him in the late first, early second.)

Jones is an absolute baller, and if we can move down and acquire more picks, more power to us.
He would make this defense absolutely dynamic! So many versatile players.
Just imagine a 4:3 front of:

Dareus-Branch-Meatball-Mario

Lawson/Bradham-Sheppard-Jarvis Jones/Anderson

Or a 3:4 front of:

Dareus-Branch-Meatball

Mario-Lawson-Bradham-Anderson/Jones

Dareus and Mario coming from one side, with Anderson and Meatball coming from the other?
Holy ****
O-coordinators would have fits trying to scheme for us. One of the other Cornerbacks develops into a solid #2, and this defense looks meeeeeeeean.
Who is "Meatball"? haha

Old
04-02-2013, 06:04 PM
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daz28 View Post
If Kolb was taking double the pressures Fitz was, it's amazing he did ANYTHING. Fitz took a lot of hits last year(many ala Pears), and showed a ton of toughness playing through it. I'm going to give Kolb a chance to prove himself before I do any bashing. You can't, repeat can't do any worse than a QB that defenses are aware can't throw down-field. Now, if Kolb is to succeed(not just do ok), then we're going to need pass protection. I think a lot of fans greatly exaggerated how good our line was, especially as protectors. It's no wonder our screen game was so good, the defenders EXPECTED to walk right past them.

...and Kyle Moore. I think he's still a UFA, but I can't see us going into camp w/o him as a depth player. If he continues to learn, and continues to improve, he may force himself into the lineup.
I thought he was an RFA but i'm not positive. I think this will make Carrington a FG blocking player only.

Old
04-02-2013, 06:31 PM
Rob Paxon
Z E M G U S

Send a message via AIM to Rob Paxon
Quote:
Who is "Meatball"? haha
Kyle Williams

Quote:
I thought he was an RFA but i'm not positive. I think this will make Carrington a FG blocking player only.
He's either a UFA or he's an RFA that won't give an compensation, I forget. Think he's a UFA, though.

Old
04-02-2013, 07:02 PM
dma0034

vCash: 600
This defense is starting to get the right pieces together.... still need a LB and a CB. Can't wait to see it in action!!!

Old
04-02-2013, 07:17 PM
Daz28

Quote:
Originally Posted by dma0034 View Post
This defense is starting to get the right pieces together.... still need a LB and a CB. Can't wait to see it in action!!!
Ogletree at 8, and Ron Brooks surprises.

DONE!

Old
04-02-2013, 07:19 PM
dma0034

Quote:

DONE!
I like Brooks a lot but we'll see.... I'd take Jones over Ogletree no problem.

Old
04-02-2013, 07:21 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:

DONE!
Still some decent CB options in FA. Gamble and Jammer both still available.

Or...we can do the time honored HF tradition of reuniting the old band! Winfield and Clements both still on the market. I assume age has caught up with Winfield, but he would probably still be the best tackler on the defense.

Old
04-02-2013, 07:24 PM
Layne Staley
The Future

http://espn.go.com/nfl/draft2013/sto...lotulelei-play

This is great news.Star Lotulelei has been fully cleared by a Utah Heart Doctor and has no restrictions on playing.They said his abnormal test was likely due to a viral infection at the time and all subsequent tests have been normal.This is great for the Bills, now that he is 100% cleared he will surely be taken in the top 7 which means atleast one top prospect will slide down to us, preferably Geno Smith or Dion Jordan.We are completely set at DT, it is our deepest position and the best thing is that this draft is extremely deep at DT.I am hoping 3 DTs are selected in the top 7 (Star Lotulelei,Shariff Floyd,Sheldon Richardson).

My top 5 wishlist at #8

1.Geno Smith
2.Dion Jordan
3.Barkevious Mingo
4.Alec Ogletree
5.Shariff Floyd (can play DT or DE and is perfect for Pettine's hybrid defense)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrigsAndGirgs View Post

Or...we can do the time honored HF tradition of reuniting the old band! Winfield and Clements both still on the market. I assume age has caught up with Winfield, but he would probably still be the best tackler on the defense.
Chris Gamble retired.I would love to sign Antoine Winfield or Jammer who has ties to Buddy.

Old
04-02-2013, 07:26 PM
dma0034

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrigsAndGirgs View Post

Jammer is awful. If memory serves correctly he was burned the most in the AFC with passes over 20+. He looked terrible last year

Winfield is still a very good slot defender. Redskins want him.

Closed Thread