HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Anaheim Ducks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

[EDIT] Bob Murray needs to do something.

Old
04-02-2013, 08:01 PM
bootsgaudet

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DucksTalk View Post
Yes, you're the homer. You specifically said deal Sbisa for a rental. Enough said.

Sure, the 06-07 team was good, but you're trying to tell me there weren't holes in the lineup?

We aren't wasting a season, we just aren't overpaying for iffy players.
Sbisa is an iffy player, sure we could get a much cheaper dman and get a nice playmaking centre from the wings. (they'd take the chance if possible.)

Regardless i just offered up sbisa as one possibilty, their are many differnt options we can take.

and the 06-07 team, no there weren't holes in that line up.

Kunitz macdonald selanne
Penner Getzlaf Perry
Moen Pahlsson Nediermeyer
May Marchant thornton

Nediermeyer beachium
O'donnel Pronger
Dipenta Huskins

Giggy
Bryz

that line up has been called one of the best ever assembled.

and overpaying, 2nd or 3rd round picks is hardly over paying. This is a draft we can afford to deal a pick to test the waters on a for sure player or iffy waters.

havn't we already done that this season though

Sourary brought in on a trial
Winnik brought in
Allen
Fasth....

all brought in to see how they would play.
so far so good... im sure Murray would have no problem on a cheap player who can play 2nd line mintues and dont give up to much for them.

Dispute this?

bootsgaudet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 08:01 PM
Eddie Shack
The doctor is in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bootsgaudet View Post

and no man, im not talking about making a trade for the sake of making a trade, we need to add somthing at this deadline in order to remain competitive
2nd best record in the league and we are suddenly non competitive with any team that makes any trade? Really? Maybe you should rethink that again. Every team who made a deal is now above our ability to compete with??? Talk about hyperbole.

Quote:
if the deadline goes by tommrow and BM has done nothing, or at least offers up an explanation as to why he did nothing (understandable if the market wasn't there for us... but the man should just get bold and kick some tires try some things out)
You keep repeating this as if you are his secretary and know everything he's up too. You lose credibility with these kinds of statements. Just sayin.

Eddie Shack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 08:05 PM
bootsgaudet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selanne138 View Post
Only minor one it may have had was filled by adding May at the deadline.

Holes on this years team are harder to fill than that, but none are so gaping that they are life or death. We made it to second in the conference without a bonafide #2 center, I dont see why all of a sudden we're screwed without one. Its a nice thing to add if possible, but we're still a very good team even if we stand apt.
All the other contending teams have added somthing significant in the last week....

and we need to as well if we wish to remain where we are and have the success we want.

Old
04-02-2013, 08:06 PM
bootsgaudet

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRagingBolshevik View Post
Is Jamie McBain considered a puck moving d-man(THN says he's an OD)? As I've said twice in this thread, I think our transition game stinks and must be addressed.

Anyone else agree?

im with you man, that would be a great move for us, guys a solid young player and could really help us.

our transtion game stinks because of Bryan Allen mostly, but yea we do need some help..

Old
04-02-2013, 08:07 PM
douglast5
PS3 GMC Comish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Shack View Post
2nd best record in the league and we are suddenly non competitive with any team that makes any trade? Really? Maybe you should rethink that again. Every team who made a deal is now above our ability to compete with??? Talk about hyperbole.
Yea, Other then Pittsburgh teams are making trades to try and get competitive with the ducks.

Hawks also want a 2c. How well is that going for them. Or is there GM lazy too?

Considering the second best team in the league only picked up Handzus. Only top team making huge trades are Pittsburgh and lets wait for a bit and see how it pays off or not. Then you can comment if BM dropped the ball this year.

Can't say he did something wrong when nothing has happened yet to say that he made a mistake.

douglast5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 08:08 PM
Vipers31
Advanced Stagnostic

Well, this level of panicing about other teams becoming so much stronger is what terrible deadline overpayments are made of.

Vipers31 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 08:09 PM
Selanne138

Quote:
Originally Posted by douglast5 View Post
You missed a big point. Some people build through trades, some build through drafts.

It is clear this is a draft team as evident by the talent of the prospect pool and the emergence of young prospects.

Watch this http://www.nhl.com/ice/blogpost.htm?...d=nhl:topheads

Note what is said. A team that wins 1 is built through trades, a team that is at the top for years is built on drafting. Would you rather trade for a shot at a cup this year. Or let younger players get experience and be in the race for a cup next year, and the year after, and years after that.
Best part about this team is that the core is homegrown (RPG, Fowler, Hiller) and the majority of complimentary pieces were acquired through either the draft or non-elite free agents/trades (Koivu, Teemu, Cogliano, Winnik, etc). Only real time we traded major assets for a guy was Beauch who turned out to be more than worth it. The fact that the prospect pool is so strong/already contributing is why this team doesnt have simply a 1 year window and any movement for a rental needs to be carefully thought out.

Selanne138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 08:11 PM
12ozPapa

Quote:
im with you man, that would be a great move for us, guys a solid young player and could really help us.

our transtion game stinks because of Bryan Allen mostly, but yea we do need some help..
Ah, finally someone acknowledges my comment.

Fowler seems to be the only one who can consistently get the puck up the ice. Losing Visnovsky still stings when it comes to our transition and I'm getting a tad tired of Souray's fly ball technique that works once out of every 50 tries.

12ozPapa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 08:11 PM
Vipers31
Advanced Stagnostic

Quote:

I don't see that issue. Yes, the breakout could be better, but Allen's already paired with Fowler. A guy like McBain - good passer, but incredibly soft and not overly stable defensively - won't be a candidate to get paired with Fowler, anyway. The issue with Allen is him not having been as solid at what he is expected to do, but transition game isn't among those things.

Not sure McBain makes too much sense. He's bigger, but doesn't play like it, and isn't much more than a slightly more polished Vatanen. He's still quite a valuable asset, which won't be to easy to obtain.

Old
04-02-2013, 08:12 PM
Selanne138

Quote:
All the other contending teams have added somthing significant in the last week....

and we need to as well if we wish to remain where we are and have the success we want.
We added depth with Dvorak, Steckel, Harry Z, so we did do something.

There is still a hole at #2C, I agree, but with Roy off the market, Im not sure what else is left that is available for our touchable assets. Im all for moving picks and some prospects for a #2C, but Im not willing to give up any core prospects for a guy who will be here 10 games plus playoffs when our window is much longer than this year.

Selanne138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 08:15 PM
bootsgaudet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Shack View Post

You keep repeating this as if you are his secretary and know everything he's up too. You lose credibility with these kinds of statements. Just sayin.

right now... the additons the other western conference teams lessens are ability to compete if we dont make any moves. People take this stuff out of proportion way to easily. If we get complacent and don't add something to give us a better dynamic we defiantly reduce our competitiveness.

As the moves done by all the teams in a playoff postion, have greatly enhanced there abilties.

The type of thinking your doing, has resulted in the crash and burning of the past Canucks, Sharks, etc.... Records mean home ice, a 7 game serise goes any way, sure we can still win, but we should make a move that makes sense, dosent alter the make up of our team significatly but will help us going forward.

i dont get whats so wrong with trying to remain in line with the other teams.

Old
04-02-2013, 08:15 PM
douglast5
PS3 GMC Comish

All contending teams haven't added.

West:
Chicago - Handzus
Anaheim - Dvorak
Minnesota -Nothing?
Vancouver - Roy
LA - Regerh
San Jose (6th) selling
Detroit - Nothing
Stlouis - Got defence, traded forward
Edmonton - Nothing
Columbus - Nothing
Nashville - Nothing
Dallas - Selling

Theres the top 12 teams

Only teams to major add players is Pittsburg, Boston has picked up 1. Only one east team is going to make it to SCF.

Old
04-02-2013, 08:16 PM
bootsgaudet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selanne138 View Post
We added depth with Dvorak, Steckel, Harry Z, so we did do something.

There is still a hole at #2C, I agree, but with Roy off the market, Im not sure what else is left that is available for our touchable assets. Im all for moving picks and some prospects for a #2C, but Im not willing to give up any core prospects for a guy who will be here 10 games plus playoffs when our window is much longer than this year.
which i have said, if it makes sense, i understand if the market is dried up then we are Sol, but still people on here seem to be against making a trade.... if we cant get a 2c... we need to get a defenceman.

Old
04-02-2013, 08:17 PM
Vipers31
Advanced Stagnostic

Quote:
All contending teams haven't added.

West:
Chicago - Handzus
... which is basically their version of trading for Steckel. So we aren't really behind on them.

Old
04-02-2013, 08:20 PM
douglast5
PS3 GMC Comish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipers31 View Post
... which is basically their version of trading for Steckel. So we aren't really behind on them.
Considering Anaheim took 6 of 6 points from Chicago and Chicago got 1 of 6, you would say we were ahead of them and they are adding depth to keep up with ours.

The major players besides a couple of defence have all gone east. Which is the least worrying to Anaheim since only one east team can make it, and for all you know they could get upset.

Old
04-02-2013, 08:22 PM
Sean Garrity
Quack Quack Quack!

Quote:
which i have said, if it makes sense, i understand if the market is dried up then we are Sol, but still people on here seem to be against making a trade.... if we cant get a 2c... we need to get a defenceman.
We already have 7 defenseman. Unless a team values Lydmans expiring contract or we severely overpay and rid of Allen in the process a defenseman isn't coming IMO.

Sean Garrity is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 08:22 PM
caliamad

Before the deadline I thought only Chicago had a better team than us... now I think you could say Vancouver (when healthy), Pittsburgh (before Crosby was hurt), and Kings are better on paper. We can't outbid them as they are in much different revenue streams than us and can buy there way out of lot problems.

I don't think anyone will argue that the 2C and D could use an upgrade but there are probably very few hockey deals out there. Like it or not, Murray doesn't waste big assets on rentals and does most of this damage around the draft. Can't blame him for wanting to buy low and sell high and right now is not the time.

Now, if he could have got some assets for Allen or Lydman and brought us in Regehr I would have been all for it. Honestly, I'm not sure long term bringing in Roy or Ribero for one post season run is the best interest in the franchise.

I think developing Holland/Bonino rather than having a band aid at 2C is not a bad approach. There is little that will change between this and next year (expect may be we lose a struggling selanne).

Of bigger concern is our bottom 3 defense. Holland seems like he will be a good NHL center in 1-2 years.

The one guy I am hoping we are targeting is Mike Fisher, seems like an ideal guy for a playoff run and wouldn't be just a rental or hurt as badly capwise in the future.

caliamad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 08:23 PM
Vipers31
Advanced Stagnostic

Quote:
I don't think you would have found many against it a day ago. I think you're simply mistaking the adversity to your slightly frantic reaction to the situation as them being against trading in general.

We're just taking a relaxed approach. There's ways to improve any team. Whether those ways become available on deadline day, and whether it works out in terms of price and money is always a bit of a crap shoot. Just wait and see. I don't think anyone's oblivious to the possibility of improving the team. But things actually have to come together for it to make sense, and even more for it to work out.

Old
04-02-2013, 08:23 PM
bootsgaudet

West:
Chicago - Handzus - sharp , hossa still out.... signifcant parts of there offence.
Anaheim - Dvorak ( we add a 4th line winger, whos being scratched every other game...

Minnesota -Nothing? That team is now only 6 points back of us... they've been climbing , they can upset anyone.
Vancouver - Roy, kesler will be back for playoff time.. .and louongo has a good chance of being dealt for real assets.

LA - Regerh - Stanley cup roster... 7 game series goes any way...

San Jose (6th) selling (still will be competitive can beat people, niemi playing outstanding )

Detroit - Nothing(resilient will make the playoffs, technical team can still beat people. )

Stlouis - Got defence, traded forward( Jay bow, leopold ... with shattenkirk, pietro, ..... St louis can beat anyone... their top 6 is great, bottom 6 is pretty awesome as well.

Edmonton - Nothing (wont make it)
Columbus - Nothing ( wont make it but are getting better)
Nashville - Nothing ( wont make it this year)
Dallas - Selling(out of hte race)

Old
04-02-2013, 08:24 PM
douglast5
PS3 GMC Comish

Quote:
Originally Posted by caliamad View Post
Before the deadline I thought only Chicago had a better team than us... now I think you could say Vancouver (when healthy), Pittsburgh (before Crosby was hurt), and Kings are better on paper. We can't outbid them as they are in much different revenue streams than us and can buy there way out of lot problems.
Theres the key.

Right now the Ducks are better then them in stats through games played.

They might look better on paper but its only on paper right now, depending on how players mix with them things might change, but in the end they are still trying to catch Anaheim and Chicago.

Old
04-02-2013, 08:26 PM
bootsgaudet

Quote:
Considering Anaheim took 6 of 6 points from Chicago and Chicago got 1 of 6, you would say we were ahead of them and they are adding depth to keep up with ours.

The major players besides a couple of defence have all gone east. Which is the least worrying to Anaheim since only one east team can make it, and for all you know they could get upset.

we dont win those games if they have sharp and hossa in the line up... those games were all real close, granted we missed perry for game 2.

Old
04-02-2013, 08:28 PM
Eddie Shack
The doctor is in!

Quote:
right now... the additons the other western conference teams lessens are ability to compete if we dont make any moves. People take this stuff out of proportion way to easily. If we get complacent and don't add something to give us a better dynamic we defiantly reduce our competitiveness.

As the moves done by all the teams in a playoff postion, have greatly enhanced there abilties.

The type of thinking your doing, has resulted in the crash and burning of the past Canucks, Sharks, etc.... Records mean home ice, a 7 game serise goes any way, sure we can still win, but we should make a move that makes sense, dosent alter the make up of our team significatly but will help us going forward.

i dont get whats so wrong with trying to remain in line with the other teams.

Eddie Shack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 08:28 PM
UnknownAvenger

I think Bob realizes that this team hasn't played to their ceiling yet (in most games, actually) and they have traditionally steped it up down the stretch and in the playoffs.

Thus, our #1 improvements will come from the existing roster.

There is also this thing about not disrupting team chemistry.

Unless it's a stud young 2C and we package Holland+ for it, I don't see us getting a center.

Depth Dman, he'll probably be just another 6-7 option, not someone we can pair with Fowler instead of Allen.

Thus, I don't expect major moves and I'm pretty fine with that. This team CAN win the Cup, despite many thinking otherwise.

UnknownAvenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 08:29 PM
douglast5
PS3 GMC Comish

Quote:
we dont win those games if they have sharp and hossa in the line up... those games were all real close, granted we missed perry for game 2.
How do you know that, are you physic.

Thats a weak argument, they had Sharp and Hossa the first game....and we won.

Old
04-02-2013, 08:30 PM
Vipers31
Advanced Stagnostic

Quote:
Well, what do you expect? There's no trade available that would "counter" them getting back either Sharp or Hossa. We knew before the season that we'd be outmatched on paper against Chicago, Vancouver or Los Angeles. This deadline never had a chance of changing that outlook on paper. That's a mismatched expectation.