HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

2014 - Finland Roster Discussion

Closed Thread

Old
02-21-2013, 02:37 PM
FiLe
Mr. Know-It-Nothing

vCash: 500
If we're to talk about getting picked, both Teemu and Saku will be no-brainers if they only manage to carry their current form into another season. It's all about if they're willing to show up.

Teemu has pretty clearly stated that "NT is for younger guys". Of course, knowing his history of NT retirements and comebacks, it may not mean a thing. But unless he clearly states that he IS interested, we'll keep looking for other options.

Old
02-24-2013, 09:45 PM
GwtGlads2013
Glads/Preds

I would definitely say Rinne is probably the best Finnish goaltender and should probably be the starter for Finland in 2014.

Old
02-24-2013, 11:08 PM
Cory Trevor
Smokes, Let's go

Quote:
Originally Posted by JabbaJabba View Post
Well, it's a possibility that Selänne and Saku Koivu are in chosen to the Olympic team. And I would have them gladly if they play next year like they are playing now (certainly an improvement over some of these guys that are put into lineups).
got ya. Thanks Jabba!

In terms of your borderline players, Maatta certainly for me would be worth a look but he he's quite young. We are in the same situation with Seth Jones which I certainly think is a no from our end. Be nice to talk to someone who watches London exclusively to see how he is playing.

Vatanen's worth a look for me too. However he has had some gaffs this year. Take that at face value

Old
02-26-2013, 04:38 PM
FiLe
Mr. Know-It-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory Trevor View Post
Vatanen's worth a look for me too. However he has had some gaffs this year. Take that at face value
Vatanen's more than worth a look: he's a lock. Finland simply doesn't have four better ODs than he is. Pitkänen, Timonen and Salo (if he wishes to show up) are our only regular NHLers in said role. From there, it's all euro players and hopefuls from minors and and out of them, Vatanen is already the top dog.

With Määttä, Ristolainen and bunch of others gaining prominence the situation might be different in 2018, but Finland's D core is at all-time-low coming to these games.

Old
03-02-2013, 02:43 PM
Gaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiLe View Post
If we're to talk about getting picked, both Teemu and Saku will be no-brainers if they only manage to carry their current form into another season. It's all about if they're willing to show up.

Teemu has pretty clearly stated that "NT is for younger guys". Of course, knowing his history of NT retirements and comebacks, it may not mean a thing. But unless he clearly states that he IS interested, we'll keep looking for other options.
I think they'll be there if they're still in this shape. I'd be less confident if Jalonen wasn't leaving, because they didn't really get into his system in Vancouver and from what I heard, they weren't really even interested in learning it. But they like Erkka, so they're coming.

I've learned by now that you shouldn't trust a word Teemu says, especially if it has anything to do with retiring. The guy always changes his mind.

Old
03-31-2013, 07:07 AM
tikkanen5rings*

Korpikoski-Koivu-Filppula
Leino-Koivu-Selänne?
Ruutu-Granlund-Komarov
Petrell-Barkov-Bergenheim (the Swedish Stroganoff line )

Timonen-Pitkänen
Vatanen-Salo
Järvinen-Melart (I'd really love to see this pair)

Rinne
Rask

e. forgot Ruutu and Bergenheim

Last edited by tikkanen5rings*: 03-31-2013 at 07:12 AM.
Old
03-31-2013, 08:04 PM
FiLe
Mr. Know-It-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarry Curry View Post
Leino-Koivu-Selänne?
Ruutu-Granlund-Komarov

Timonen-Pitkänen
Vatanen-Salo

Rinne
Rask

Ruutu is usually stapled to M.Koivu's wing in NT, don't see that changing.

With D pairs, you have L-L and R-R in top four, respectively. Timonen-Salo and Pitkänen-Vatanen are far more likely, even if the 2nd one may leave something to be desired defensively.

Also, Lydman makes it in before Melart on any given day, and twice on Sunday. Väänänen likely as well.

Old
04-01-2013, 01:25 AM
tikkanen5rings*

Quote:
Ruutu is usually stapled to M.Koivu's wing in NT, don't see that changing.

With D pairs, you have L-L and R-R in top four, respectively. Timonen-Salo and Pitkänen-Vatanen are far more likely, even if the 2nd one may leave something to be desired defensively.

Also, Lydman makes it in before Melart on any given day, and twice on Sunday. Väänänen likely as well.
I don't want to see Lydman anywhere close to this team. You're right about the top 4 tho.
I think Ruutu should be dropped from the first line and Korpedo brings more speed and energy at this point.

Old
04-01-2013, 03:07 AM
QnebO

Quote:
Leino-Koivu-Selänne?
Ruutu-Granlund-Komarov

Timonen-Pitkänen
Vatanen-Salo

Rinne
Rask

Otherwise your lines n pairs are OK for me but Melart should be nowhere close to olympic team, Im not sure would he make even WHC any team..

Intresting to see what Armia does next year.

Old
04-01-2013, 03:43 AM
Gaps

Here's a Sochi preview for Finland by THW: http://thehockeywriters.com/2014-oly...straight-time/

This is terrible. There's some actual BS in there. For example, Kipper wasn't even on the team in 2006 but they claim he was the starter. Then there are signs of how little the writer(s) know about the Finnish NT (according to them, Teemu's the captain and that's just one example). Then there are the weird line combos. J. Jokinen on the 4th line? He's useless there.

Old
04-01-2013, 05:08 AM
mattihp

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaps View Post
Here's a Sochi preview for Finland by THW: http://thehockeywriters.com/2014-oly...straight-time/

This is terrible. There's some actual BS in there. For example, Kipper wasn't even on the team in 2006 but they claim he was the starter. Then there are signs of how little the writer(s) know about the Finnish NT (according to them, Teemu's the captain and that's just one example). Then there are the weird line combos. J. Jokinen on the 4th line? He's useless there.
Hilarious amount of knowledge of finnish hockey on that site...

Old
04-01-2013, 06:00 AM
Cory Trevor
Smokes, Let's go

Quote:

Yah this has to be a joke. Clearly hasn't watched any Finnish national team games before and just went based on players or formers players in the NHL with no idea as to line combos.

Old
04-01-2013, 06:02 AM
Lapa
Global Moderator
miek yoe pls

vCash: 50
They say Sweden has better goaltending than us

A case can be made about USA's goaltending, but it's close.

Also, Lepistö and Määttä and no Vatanen?!

E: Kipper over Rask?

That list is complete ****.

Last edited by Lapa: 04-01-2013 at 06:08 AM.
Old
04-01-2013, 06:08 AM
tikkanen5rings*

Quote:
Originally Posted by QnebO View Post
Otherwise your lines n pairs are OK for me but Melart should be nowhere close to olympic team, Im not sure would he make even WHC any team..

Intresting to see what Armia does next year.
I don't know man. Melart played a great season. I wouldn't even be surprised if some team takes a flyer on him.
He is young, gritty, fights and improved his game greatly.

Old
04-01-2013, 08:29 AM
Cory Trevor
Smokes, Let's go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lapa View Post
They say Sweden has better goaltending than us

A case can be made about USA's goaltending, but it's close.

Also, Lepistö and Määttä and no Vatanen?!

E: Kipper over Rask?

That list is complete ****.
That was the big one for me. I couldn't believe they even suggested it.

And you are right about Sweden's goaltending. I mean outside of Lundqvist it's a huge drop off while the US can carry Quick, Schneider, Miller, Anderson...the goaltending depth alone is just excellent and if Lundqvist isn't on his game going into next year, they are going to see how deep their keeper depth really is.

Old
04-01-2013, 08:42 AM
Gaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory Trevor View Post
That was the big one for me. I couldn't believe they even suggested it.

And you are right about Sweden's goaltending. I mean outside of Lundqvist it's a huge drop off while the US can carry Quick, Schneider, Miller, Anderson...the goaltending depth alone is just excellent and if Lundqvist isn't on his game going into next year, they are going to see how deep their keeper depth really is.
I doubt Kipper would even agree to be on the team is he isn't starting, which he is not doing. It's unlikely that we'll see him in Sochi. However, I don't think it would be a bad idea to take a veteran goalie along because aside from Kipper and Bäckström, none of our NHL goalies have been to the Olympics before. A goalie (who in this case would be Bäckström) with previous experience could help the younger ones with the mental side of things. My goalie trio would be Rinne, Rask OR Lehtonen and Bäckström as the 3rd goalie.

Old
04-01-2013, 08:49 AM
Cory Trevor
Smokes, Let's go

Quote:
I doubt Kipper would even agree to be on the team is he isn't starting, which he is not doing. It's unlikely that we'll see him in Sochi. However, I don't think it would be a bad idea to take a veteran goalie along because aside from Kipper and Bäckström, none of our NHL goalies have been to the Olympics before. A goalie (who in this case would be Bäckström) with previous experience could help the younger ones with the mental side of things. My goalie trio would be Rinne, Rask OR Lehtonen and Bäckström as the 3rd goalie.
Yah. I think it's going to come down to Lehtonen vs Backstrom for the final spot, with Lehtonen most likely being the one selected.

Old
04-01-2013, 04:06 PM
FiLe
Mr. Know-It-Nothing

Quote:
I don't want to see Lydman anywhere close to this team.
Right, my bad. We have droves of seasoned NHL grade d-men that overtake... no, wait.

Quote:
However, I don't think it would be a bad idea to take a veteran goalie along because aside from Kipper and Bäckström, none of our NHL goalies have been to the Olympics before. A goalie (who in this case would be Bäckström) with previous experience could help the younger ones with the mental side of things.
Like in 2006?

Just pick the best trio that fits the mold. Mine would currently be Rinne-Rask-Niemi. (Somehow I don't see Lehtonen going if he's the 3rd string.)

As what comes to that Hockey Writers article... well, our coaches are not going to make a single pick based on what they say, so we can just forget such a laughable piece was ever written.

Last edited by FiLe: 04-01-2013 at 04:20 PM.
Old
04-01-2013, 04:34 PM
Gaps

Quote:

Like in 2006?

Just pick the best trio that fits the mold. Mine would currently be Rinne-Rask-Niemi. (Somehow I don't see Lehtonen going if he's the 3rd string.)
The situation was different in 2006. There were no goalies who were considered to be of the same caliber as Kipper, so they were pretty much forced to pick the ones they eventually did. Things worked out back then, but nobody could've predicted that before the tournament. Now we have a bunch of good NHL starters to choose from, which is of course a much better position to be in.

Like you, I don't think Lehtonen wants to be the 3rd goalie and I'd question if Niemi would be interested either. Of course they can find a goalie in Europe who'd be willing to tag along as the 3rd wheel, but I think Bäckström might be okay with the position and to be honest I'd feel more confident having him to back up in case of an injury instead of some KHL goalie.

Old
04-01-2013, 04:51 PM
FiLe
Mr. Know-It-Nothing

Quote:
Like you, I don't think Lehtonen wants to be the 3rd goalie and I'd question if Niemi would be interested either. Of course they can find a goalie in Europe who'd be willing to tag along as the 3rd wheel, but I think Bäckström might be okay with the position and to be honest I'd feel more confident having him to back up in case of an injury instead of some KHL goalie.
The thing is, freaky stuff do happen occasionally, and you don't want to feel worse off because of it. Unlike you, I see Niemi being okay with the role, which is the reason I picked him. But if he isn't - then I agree, Bäckström is the next best choice.

Old
04-02-2013, 04:10 PM
tikkanen5rings*

Quote:
Right, my bad. We have droves of seasoned NHL grade d-men that overtake... no, wait.
Lydman seems to be more like washed up 7th D at this point.

It's not like we haven't used Euro D-men in these tournament's before and since it's the big rink, I really don't see why would we bring Lydman.
That said, he will likely be there.

Old
04-02-2013, 08:41 PM
FiLe
Mr. Know-It-Nothing

Quote:
Lydman seems to be more like washed up 7th D at this point.
I'd love to hear some elaboration on this point. If it's personal dislike, that usually doesn't make a very compelling argument.

That being said, Anaheim - one of the top teams in the league, btw - still clocks him around 20 minutes a night, and he's one of their main PK guys as well. Pretty well for a washed up has-been.

Lydman is still one of the best shutdown D options we have available, right up there with Väänänen. I'm not saying that makes him a star by general NHL standards, but it's not like we can be picky. If you really think someone like Melart can challenge him, well... If the guy can make it to this year's WHC team and put up a good showing, then I guess we can re-examine the need to have Lydman. But as of right now, one of them is miles ahead of the other and everybody with half a mind can say which one it is. One solid EHT tournament does not make anybody a best-on-best caliber performer.

Old
04-03-2013, 09:40 AM
QnebO

Sami Salo is pretty much penciled in the team. Not many,if anyone probably doubted that thought.

Old
04-03-2013, 02:09 PM
FiLe
Mr. Know-It-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by QnebO View Post
Sami Salo is pretty much penciled in the team. Not many,if anyone probably doubted that thought.
Well, that's good news. Out of our NHL regulars, Salo was the one whose participation I was doubting the most.

But yeah, it's pretty much a done deal now that he'll be in there, if healthy.

Old
04-04-2013, 09:30 AM
pesko

Quote:
I'd love to hear some elaboration on this point. If it's personal dislike, that usually doesn't make a very compelling argument.

That being said, Anaheim - one of the top teams in the league, btw - still clocks him around 20 minutes a night, and he's one of their main PK guys as well. Pretty well for a washed up has-been.

Lydman is still one of the best shutdown D options we have available, right up there with Väänänen. I'm not saying that makes him a star by general NHL standards, but it's not like we can be picky. If you really think someone like Melart can challenge him, well... If the guy can make it to this year's WHC team and put up a good showing, then I guess we can re-examine the need to have Lydman. But as of right now, one of them is miles ahead of the other and everybody with half a mind can say which one it is. One solid EHT tournament does not make anybody a best-on-best caliber performer.
Lydman has been pretty bad all season. He's a shadow of his 2010-11 form, and has been a healthy scratch with Ben Lovejoy taking his place recently. He was recovering from injury last year, which explained his poor performance then, but he should be healthy now. He seems to be running out of gas, making bad moves with the puck, positioning badly, being outmuscled in the front of the net.

I have a feeling he might retire after this season, at least I don't see Anaheim extending his contract. It would be a shame, since there isn't really anyone to replace him on the national team.

Closed Thread