HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

As fans, it could be OUR fault some of our habs struggle

Old
08-17-2006, 04:08 PM
albertonhabsfan

vCash: 500
As fans, it could be OUR fault some of our habs struggle

Just hear me out, how many players are on the hit list of so many of us Canadians fans? Riberio, Bonk and before he was traded Zednik. Players find it tough in a habs jersey because fans and media make it that way. As soon as a player struggles, he is never really given a chance to comeback because we and the media hound them to death. There are many examples. Perault, how many points did he get last year, Valeri Bure, even marcel Hossa had a good year with the rangers. All players who took heat in a habs uniform. no one gives Ribs a chance, a thread starts about him taking power skating and what happens, yes he gets bashed in here for it. Zednik will have 50 + pts this year playing on a top two line, maybe more if he plays a line with Ovechkin and Bonk when given the role, with of course a different team in the past was really a threat to collect points. My point is really, if and when a player slumps, if everyone is down on them, boo's them at home games and the media startsgiving them a hard time, the player is done in Montreal. Look at Theodore, it makes me sick how for 3 plus years he was our saviour, one bad stretch and he's gone and most habs fan's hate him now and beleive me, he will come back to a top 3 goalie in the NHL. All just my opinon,?????what do others think?

albertonhabsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2006, 04:09 PM
tritone

Boohoo

tritone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2006, 04:18 PM
Sthabs

I m sure that if the salarys of the players weren t revealed, we would have much less problems
Problem with theo last year wasn t that he sucked, but that he sucked while being paid 5 million
Same think with Bonk
Montreal also has that mentality of : what have u done for me lately?
It is ridiculous when fans boo Koivu, but I like it in some way, because it pushes the players to be at the top of their level and play for what they ve been paid for.
however, you still don t boo your captain, and habs fans shouldn t boo that much their players. Only the one that deserves it, not for any stupid reasons they hear or read.
Unfortunately the majority is being guided by 110% stupidities...
But then again, i know that there s a group of logical fans that only want this team to succeed.

Sthabs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2006, 04:19 PM
HabuseMoi

I think you're right, a lot of Habs fan are actually morons/rednecks.

HabuseMoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2006, 04:23 PM
Beatnik

Send a message via MSN to Beatnik
Quote:
Originally Posted by HabuseMoi View Post
I think you're right, a lot of Hockey fans are actually morons/rednecks.

As fans of every team are. The fans don't choose the players anyway, If a GM is listening to them he's probably so stupid that he'd probably do even worst moves by himself.

Beatnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2006, 04:24 PM
albertonhabsfan

Tritone, see, that is what I mean. It's because of fans and boo birds like you that we cannot draw the top NHL players to a habs uniform!!! Thanks, your post proves my point

Old
08-17-2006, 04:25 PM
steven91

This is why it is so hard for the Habs to attract free agents

steven91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2006, 04:29 PM
Beatnik

Send a message via MSN to Beatnik
Quote:
Originally Posted by albertonhabsfan View Post
Tritone, see, that is what I mean. It's because of fans and boo birds like you that we cannot draw the top NHL players to a habs uniform!!! Thanks, your post proves my point

A lot of players love passionate fans (Kovalev, Samsonov, Shanahan etc).

The Yankees have the hardest fans in sports. It never hurted them.

Beatnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2006, 04:36 PM
Pat

I agree with the booing part. it must hard to concentrate and play your game when you got thousands booing you shift after shift, game after game. even if they're paid the big bucks to perform, they still hear the boos in the arenas.
that's probably one reason why it's hard to attract free agents in montreal.

but on the other hand, they have to learn to live with the pressure of playing in a hockey town like montreal. it's a pressure coker alright, but it comes with the territory.

Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2006, 04:47 PM
RC51

Quote:
Just hear me out, how many players are on the hit list of so many of us Canadians fans? Riberio, Bonk and before he was traded Zednik. Players find it tough in a habs jersey because fans and media make it that way. As soon as a player struggles, he is never really given a chance to comeback because we and the media hound them to death. There are many examples. Perault, how many points did he get last year, Valeri Bure, even marcel Hossa had a good year with the rangers. All players who took heat in a habs uniform. no one gives Ribs a chance, a thread starts about him taking power skating and what happens, yes he gets bashed in here for it. Zednik will have 50 + pts this year playing on a top two line, maybe more if he plays a line with Ovechkin and Bonk when given the role, with of course a different team in the past was really a threat to collect points. My point is really, if and when a player slumps, if everyone is down on them, boo's them at home games and the media startsgiving them a hard time, the player is done in Montreal. Look at Theodore, it makes me sick how for 3 plus years he was our saviour, one bad stretch and he's gone and most habs fan's hate him now and beleive me, he will come back to a top 3 goalie in the NHL. All just my opinon,?????what do others think?

I do not think you understand hab fans at all.

Every team has dumb fans and MTL is no different, but are not the vast majority. The vast majority of Hab fans have seen the best hockey players in the world and what the BEST bring to the team.
Hockey sence yes, skills yes but the very BEST bring it every night.
They fight for every inch, never giveup on any play, never cower down to any player even if your outweighed by 40 lbs, you take it on and take the 4-1 punch ratio against. You bust your butt on every play. In other words you play the BEST HOCKEY you can on every shift. Fans LOVE Begin not because he is a gifted player but because he gives his all and never backs down. Has he made mistakes? YES has the Fans booed him ever?

Zednik had long slumps, but when exactly did he get so frustrated that he dropped the gloves against all commers. RIbs the same thing, push and shove but no real battle and that is the point.

NO REAL BATTLE, try to score on skills, try not to get hurt, demand to play on the PP and the top lines for the photo-op goals.

The right players had so much pride in thier game that a slump drives them nuts and very very angre.

The wrong players have a ton of excuses, and the standard line " keep playing me on the top line so I can get good opportunity to get out of a slump" " if I could get a great pass, on my stick, right in front of the net and no defence and goalie, I will score and the Fans will love me again.

The MTL fans know exactly whats needed to win cups.
24 cups to be exact. Those cups were not won by the same group of players, they were WON by the same TYPE of players.

Give me 21 Players with "HEART" and I will give you a Stanley Cup.

RC51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2006, 05:02 PM
Team_Spirit
#FireTherrien

vCash: 915
I don't remember anyone booing Zednik or Bonk. Yeah they get bashed on internet forums , big deal , im sure they aren't losing sleep over this. Yes Perraullt had a good year , a carrer year .. but he's still looking for a new home. Same with Valeri Bure. None of these guys were booed out of Montreal or struggeled because some fans hate them on internet forums.

Hossa ? Murray is better and fill a need .
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=277765

Theo? This year was a complete joke from pre-season till the middle of this summer when no one was playing hockey.

Team_Spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2006, 05:08 PM
sXe
Yuuuuuup!

I agree and personnaly I wouldn't want it any other way. Shouldn't the most storied hockey franchise also be the hardest to play for?

sXe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2006, 05:14 PM
Haddock

Yeah, the pressure is on the players in Montréal, no doubt. But I really really think that some posters sould realize that they are not that important. Players appreciate the fans, just like any performers do, but they don't live by what's said about them. The power of the fans and of the media is blown out of proportion a lot.

Haddock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2006, 05:32 PM
Nobak

Yeah, we never give guys a chance.

Look at Rivet, who we were looking at to be our next target after Brisebois left. No one gave him a chance.

Nobak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2006, 05:42 PM
Athlétique_Canadien

That's the way it is I guess. You gotta have the right stomach for hockey to play for the Habs

Athlétique_Canadien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2006, 05:44 PM
bayrider

Sorry, but we had high hopes for Zednik being our top scorer for the last 2-3 seasons prior to this one. With what we saw from Zed-Koivu-Kovalev during the playoffs in '04, we wanted nothing but success for Zednik. Of course, one can only handle "the Zednik" (his patented one hand on the stick move) for so long.

Ovechkin is a one man show that scored 50G and 100+ Pts on probably the worst team talent-wise in the NHL. If Zubrus can get 50pts playing with the best player in the NHL, Zednik should get more. Thats not reflective of Zedniks talents as much as Ovechkin's talent rubbing off on him. Even my grandmother would score at least 40 if she played with AO.

I'm not gonna kick myself for letting Zednik go if he has a great season with AO

As for Bonk, give me a break. He's a $2.5M 4th liner who couldn't get anything done when he was placed on the first and 2nd lines when Koivu was out. He's absolutely useless and a bad top 3 pick in the NHL. He only had "good" seasons in Ottawa because of playing with Hossa and Alfy. I emphasized good because even his best seasons were way below expectations

Last edited by bayrider: 08-17-2006 at 05:50 PM.
bayrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2006, 05:59 PM
Mr San Diego Hab
Mosdell = Cup Champ

Quote:
If a player can't handle the heat, then I don't want him on the team. Any player that cries about the pressure isn't worth the time.

Mr San Diego Hab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2006, 06:01 PM
tritone

Quote:
I'm not a boo-bird, never booed my team, I just have no sympathy for millionaires who cry"pressure" . I won't go out of my way to be negative but I certainly won't attempt to play a sympathy card for them either.

tritone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2006, 06:03 PM
bayrider

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSDHab View Post
If a player can't handle the heat, then I don't want him on the team. Any player that cries about the pressure isn't worth the time.
Yup, apparently Gainey had an offer on the table for Elias which was more per season than what NJ had given, but Elias refused because he didn't want to be in the spotlight in Montreal because he had achieved most of what he wanted to achieve with the Devils (Stanley Cup etc).

Would you want a player like that playing for your team? Someone who is scared to give it 100% and play hard every game and EARN his salary? I'm glad we didnt sign Elias if he felt that way and was only in it for the money.

bayrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2006, 06:11 PM
ryanghg

We are some of the least patient and least forgiving fans around...I feel sorry for the players that get constantly booed...when they are trying their hardest to play their best.

ryanghg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2006, 06:30 PM
Catch-22

Quote:

Professionals shouldn't be worrying about what the fans think of them. They're getting paid big bucks to perform and they agreed to play in Montreal. Of course it's tough and emotionally everyone handles it differently and it will affect some. But most of the players you mentioned have been the ones who have had it pretty easy, IMO.

Theodore had one good 3 month stretch and was never anything better than mediocre after that. He was always an unproven goaltender to me and he was getting paid a king's ransom. Like Theodore, guys like Ribeiro with their home-town status by default have always had the crowd and the media on their side. Every excuse has been made for them and they have (had) been given more than their share of chances. After 3 years of mediocrity they finally got rid of Jose. I would not encourage booing but most players would not have been given that much time by management, let alone the fans.

If there is one guy who should use the excuse of pressure, it's Saku Koivu. Flashback to 2003. Ribeiro, our leading scorer at the time, hasn't scored in numerous games. So Koivu does something that every good captain does and tries to get Ribeiro motivated in practice. What happens? The media and the fans freak out and the guy is booed the next game by the same crowd that gave him a 10 minute standing ovation only a 9 months earlier. They boo Koivu on behalf of a player who had proven absolutely nothing and who to this day looks like a AHL player in waiting - one who does not even deserve to be Saku Koivu's caddy. If there was any justice, Saku would have waited to become a UFA and signed a long-term, $4.5 million contract on any one of the other 29 teams that would gladly have taken him. But Koivu doesn't make excuses. Like I said, real professionals handle adversity (even unwarranted) with class and they still go out every night and get the job done. That is why I cannot agree with your post.

Catch-22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2006, 07:17 PM
albertonhabsfan

unproven goalie, what awards has he won???

Old
08-17-2006, 07:48 PM
goalchenyuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobak View Post
Yeah, we never give guys a chance.

Look at Rivet, who we were looking at to be our next target after Brisebois left. No one gave him a chance.
People were booing Rivet for a shoort period of time , because he was playing the worst hockey of his career . Once he started to play like a NHL player , than the crowd stopped .

Nothing that could be compare to Brisebois , who was booed no matter he was playing well or bad , at the point that Gainey had to do a crisis to stopped those stupid booboo-birds

goalchenyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2006, 08:22 PM
Blades 0f Steel

Look up some quotes from Richard, Beliveau etc. and you'll find they were criticized just as harshly. No excuses.

Blades 0f Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2006, 08:25 PM
Kirk Muller*

I think the players get a lot of flak from the media, but do they care? I'm not sure about that.

I'm sure some do, but for many others, it just flies over their head. For instance, I don't think a guy like Kovalev cares what someone on 110% on in La Presse writes about him.

Kirk Muller* is offline   Reply With Quote