HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Act II: 27-18-3 Playoffs!!!....we talkin about Playoffs??!?!

Old
04-01-2013, 05:47 PM
ChibiPooky
Yay hockey!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas View Post
Assuming Lucic is healthy and having his usual kick-ass year I'd give up a lung to have him on these team. I'd trade Brouwer and next year's #1 for Lucic. Might not be enough. And I'd only do it if we signed him for 4-5 years. Green and Brouwer? Green + or #1 in 2014?

We're dreaming. They wouldn't trade him to us.
That would open up space on the RW to trade for Pominville

ChibiPooky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 06:05 PM
Atlas

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiPooky View Post
That would open up space on the RW to trade for Pominville

We ought to trade Brouwer together and Noovs together since they have so much chemistry together. Pominville would be a good 2nd line winger, no?

Atlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 06:07 PM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

vCash: 1300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monsterrain View Post
55 is such a badass.

http://youtu.be/CYN8aq0x0Z0
I miss the days when green was good for a few monster hits every year.

I don't laugh at Sarge though, that is clearly the most badass stunt of his career. He pawed at a goon and lived to tell about it. He even tried to throw a little right. You can literally look at every other game in his career and never see anything nearly as bad ass attempted.

I would pay a lot of money to see him play one game angry. I bet he would get a lot more money on his contract if he did a few times a year. Like, up his game in the playoffs.

RandyHolt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 08:56 AM
Chukcha

Slava Malamud ‏@SlavaMalamud
Whatever Adam Oates will accomplish w/ the #Caps, he is already in my personal hall of fame as one of the best, most engaging interviewees.

Chukcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 09:36 AM
ChibiPooky
Yay hockey!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
I miss the days when green was good for a few monster hits every year.

I don't laugh at Sarge though, that is clearly the most badass stunt of his career. He pawed at a goon and lived to tell about it. He even tried to throw a little right. You can literally look at every other game in his career and never see anything nearly as bad ass attempted.

I would pay a lot of money to see him play one game angry. I bet he would get a lot more money on his contract if he did a few times a year. Like, up his game in the playoffs.
Like Sarge, all the Caps are feeling a little froggier with the likes of Oleksy and Volpatti added to the lineup. With Erskine back, I expect that to increase even more. They look around and see their own guys getting into it, and others are right there with them. Until this year the recent Caps have been mostly soft. Clear the crease and you'll be one on five. Even tough guy Erskine was reluctant to throw his weight around (though for the most part he did anyway). Never underestimate the power of knowing you have backup.

The epic softness of the team may have been the biggest hurdle in Sarge's development (other than the fact that he's not very good at hockey).

Old
04-02-2013, 09:52 AM
g00n
abides

Quote:
Like Sarge, all the Caps are feeling a little froggier with the likes of Oleksy and Volpatti added to the lineup. With Erskine back, I expect that to increase even more. They look around and see their own guys getting into it, and others are right there with them. Until this year the recent Caps have been mostly soft. Clear the crease and you'll be one on five. Even tough guy Erskine was reluctant to throw his weight around (though for the most part he did anyway). Never underestimate the power of knowing you have backup.

The epic softness of the team may have been the biggest hurdle in Sarge's development (other than the fact that he's not very good at hockey).
I do think players can set the tone with toughness but we've seen guys like Schultz play the exact same way for years despite all manner of hitting and shenanigans going on around him.

What I believe is going on is Caps management was trying to get a bit tougher, and Schultz was held out and told he has to be more aggressive and physical to get playing time. I don't remember the exact quotes but Locker and May seemed to confirm this.

My concern all along has been that the team looked at Oates as a finesse-based change of pace from the blood and guts grinding of Hunter, and as a result they would show up at the start of the season with even more of a "country club" mentality than when BB was here. That seems to have been correct.

g00n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 10:04 AM
BobRouse

Quote:

Toughness breeds toughness I agree. The more guys who mix it up the more apt the team is to develop a pack mentality. So its good to see guys like Volpatti and Oleksy brought into the mix.

At least GMGM is acknowledging as much.

Hunter tried his best to get Schultz to be tougher and had mixed results at best. 55 needs a guy like Mike Keenan to make him that kind of player if that is even possible.

BobRouse is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 11:02 PM
Ridley Simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridley Simon View Post
Redux, as the last thread is at 1000 (or so). For those following at home:

***updated***

So the conventional thought process coming into the season was teams needed 54 points or so to make the playoffs. (92 in 82games, 54 in 48games)

By that logic, Caps would need 18 points in their last 12 games. Do we really see this flawed team doing that?

8-2-2 would get 18pts. Think about that.

This team can only lose 6 or so more points this year in regulation to make the playoffs. If its 55 or 56 points to get there, then that becomes even harder.

Season is over guys.

Fire George
Holy Crap.

4pt game

2pts outta 1st in SE

3pts outta 8th in East

10th overall in East

offense is on fire. defense is terrible. 8 and 19 are "back". shades of 2009?

discuss

that said,

still...Fire George!!

Ridley Simon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 11:24 PM
ChibiPooky
Yay hockey!

Quote:
Holy Crap.

4pt game

2pts outta 1st in SE

3pts outta 8th in East

10th overall in East

discuss

that said,

still...Fire George!!
I can't tell you how many times those exact (bolded) words went through my head recently.

Old
04-02-2013, 11:27 PM
8 ovechstrom 19

I really wanted drouin, but... Tanks over let's go get that 3rd seed.

8 ovechstrom 19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 11:29 PM
ChibiPooky
Yay hockey!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8 ovechstrom 19 View Post
I really wanted drouin, but... Tanks over let's go get that 3rd seed.
Interesting 1st post. Welcome.

With the Caps pick this year, would be nice if they could somehow get Nichushkin. Need strong Russian factor.

Old
04-03-2013, 05:09 AM
BobRouse

Ovechkin a threat every time he touches the puck?

Backstrom making silly plays and racking up assists?

Green getting healthy and sniping?

Caps falling behind and coming back?

We must have been mixed up in some kinda hot tub time machine taking us back to 09-10

Old
04-03-2013, 06:36 AM
fsnoles98

Be prepared GMGM will not make this team better today. He will go with what her has and Ribs will walk or be overpayed next year. Count on it.

fsnoles98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 06:42 AM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

He sees a team trending up. He is probably too afraid to touch it.

Old
04-03-2013, 06:58 AM
msrulo

Quote:
Holy Crap.

4pt game

2pts outta 1st in SE

3pts outta 8th in East

10th overall in East

discuss

that said,

still...Fire George!!
I think Marcus elevating his game is what improved this team this season. We have way more depth. Yes, shades of 09.

msrulo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 07:07 AM
BobRouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsnoles98 View Post
Be prepared GMGM will not make this team better today. He will go with what her has and Ribs will walk or be overpayed next year. Count on it.
And I think that is the correct move.

Cost of buying significant piece is too high this year. I'd rather hold onto prime assets.

With MJ playing the way he is I don't want that first line touched.

#4 back in the lineup is GREAT. We have so much depth on D that 2 good young players have been sent down to Hershey.

Were I GMGM I'd stand pat and send a strong message of faith to the locker room.

A trade doesn't always make you better in reality even tho it maybe good on paper. I think the Pens will find this out the hard way personally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
He sees a team trending up. He is probably too afraid to touch it.
I would be too. Would you not be? Lets not forget Zednik/Bulis for Linden/Zubrus while we were riding an 8 game win streak.

We are healthy now for the most part and our TDL acquisitions are getting Erskine/Green/Laich/MJ/Hillen/Orlov etc all back. Hopefully F16 gets well soon.

Old
04-03-2013, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsnoles98 View Post
The reduction in the cap next year has to be scaring the ***** out of GM's who are near the ceiling. I agree with others that any move will be relatively minor.

I think MJ90 as others have said really stepped up of late, good speed, kid really just needs to finish some of the chances he's getting. Chimera can't be any less effective that he has all season, can only go up from here.

442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 08:20 AM
fsnoles98

As I agree with most on not doing too much at this time, I don't like of not hearing anything regarding Ribs, not that we should. I just don' t like the idea of a guy walking for free or as GMGM has done in the past, overpay FA. Also, I will say that if you are satisfied with the play of the D, you have issues. Defensive play in the playoffs is what will get you the W, this teams play on defense has alot to be desired at this time. Be it the coaching or the players, something needs fixed!

fsnoles98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 10:20 AM
Halpysback

Their only chance at having a passable D these playoffs is if Orlov manages to establish himself as a reliable all situations 2nd pairing LD in the next 13 games or so. He needs to be played every game, in all situations with just a little less ice time than what would burn him out. This is blindingly obvious to anyone who doesn't deep throat Schultz between periods, so obviously not George.

Halpysback is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 02:01 PM
foundhockey

Not sure where to put this, but you guys defending Ovie on the main board is a thing of beauty.

This thread here: http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1394171

foundhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 10:56 PM
Ridley Simon

Ugh. Now its to late too---

Fire George?

Ridley Simon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 12:03 AM
sycamore

Quote:
Interesting 1st post. Welcome.

With the Caps pick this year, would be nice if they could somehow get Nichushkin. Need strong Russian factor.
Why they would only trade him for a crate of vodka.

sycamore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 09:15 PM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

Ok 3rd place.

Hang your heads in shame for thinking the Southleast was out of the least teams reach

Old
04-04-2013, 09:26 PM
Capitlols

They'll make the playoffs, but won't do anything. In the end it'll be trading Forsberg for a first round exit.

Capitlols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 09:47 PM
SimplySensational
Heard of Hough

Let me get this straight, you guys see the Caps losing to the Leafs in the playoffs?

SimplySensational is online now   Reply With Quote