HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Flames sign Reto Berra

Old
04-02-2013, 04:04 PM
Petes2424

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Dion View Post
That would be great. I like the top 4, after that I think it's deep into the early 2nd round. I don't think there is a Crosby or even Tavares in this draft though.
I'd have to agree. Smallish guys up front. Jones is a beast and Im pretty sure this is going to go down as the Seth Jones draft. Out of the forwards, I like Mantha's size too but it might take him till he's in his early 20s to make an impact. If their StL pick has Mantha and Morrissey still available, depending what they do on their first pick, I'd actually be happy with either or. If I were the Flames of course.

Petes2424 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 04:24 PM
flameaholic
FOREVER a Flame!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinterEmpire View Post
Wow, can't say I'm not surprised actually. Why did he have such an issue coming over when he was part of the Blues organization?
Maybe the Blues never had any intention of bringing him over. Or maybe he just recently decided to make the transition to NA. I would have to think it's the latter.

flameaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 04:48 PM
DK28

Maybe Berra will be the next Ed Belfour or Tim Thomas. or at least Fask. Late Bloomers that finally get a chance in the bigs.

Don't laugh or roll the eyes, it happens. He is big at 6'5 playing in the Swiss League. You never know.

DK28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 04:49 PM
Spectra
Registered boozer

Top 32 goalie in the world.

Spectra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 04:52 PM
AmartZing

Hartley coached in the A-swiss league last year, i guess he saw berra a lot there

AmartZing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 05:02 PM
tp71
Enjoy every sandwich

I'm going to be one of the few who seriously says I like Reto Berra and am excited to see him come over.

He was in net for the 2011 Spengler Cup win for HC Davos and started in the semi final to get them to this years final.

I'm actually excited and hope he does something for the Flames.

tp71 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 05:04 PM
domaug*
Flahr Pahr

this is great news for the Flames. good for them.

domaug* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 05:17 PM
HooliganX2

vCash: 772
As a Blues fan I am glad to see him coming over to the Flames. I hope he does well for you guys. It would be great if he could be a #1 goalie in the NHL.

Kind of frustrates me some other Blues fans come in here and try to talk it down. Who gives a crap if Calgary ends u getting good value and the trade works out well for the and them Blues don't win the trade.

I personally like seeing trades that help both teams out and are a win win for both teams.

BTW I don't think Feaster is nearly as bad as everyone seems to think he is. He has to get what he can get in the market. Bouwmeesters contract was pretty high and the cap was going down. Iginla basically choose his team because of the NMC. Feaster will most likely be gone but in 4-5 years the Flames should be nearing the end of a rebuild and may be a team on the rise. It's about time they did a rebuild.

HooliganX2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 05:24 PM
Chris Butler
Feels bad man

vCash: 50
Looking at the potential Clowe deal and some other deals today, Feaster did a decent job TBH. If we really do have the top two goalies outside the NHL, (Ramo and Berra), optimistically, we could have a really good 1,2 punch..

Chris Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 05:30 PM
Double Dion
Jets fan 30/06/2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by HooliganX2 View Post
As a Blues fan I am glad to see him coming over to the Flames. I hope he does well for you guys. It would be great if he could be a #1 goalie in the NHL.

Kind of frustrates me some other Blues fans come in here and try to talk it down. Who gives a crap if Calgary ends u getting good value and the trade works out well for the and them Blues don't win the trade.

I personally like seeing trades that help both teams out and are a win win for both teams.

BTW I don't think Feaster is nearly as bad as everyone seems to think he is. He has to get what he can get in the market. Bouwmeesters contract was pretty high and the cap was going down. Iginla basically choose his team because of the NMC. Feaster will most likely be gone but in 4-5 years the Flames should be nearing the end of a rebuild and may be a team on the rise. It's about time they did a rebuild.
I agree with this statement. The return isn't awful, especially when your hands are tied with NMC's. The aspect of Feaster I have a problem with is how he tries to spin things. He plays all coy like he knows things about prospects no one else does.

He had the gall to say Berra is one of the two best goalies outside the NHL.
He has the gall to guarantee playoff berths with highly questionable rosters.
He has the gall to say Jankowski is going to be the best player in the 2012 draft.
He has the gall to call out other franchises, when his own is in shambles.
He huffs and puffs and tries to blow our collective houses down, but this market isn't hockey illiterate. We resent being sold a bill of goods. How is it not a rebuild when you trade your franchise player, a top pairing defenseman and you're doing it for futures?
I just wish Jay would be honest and stop BSing all the time. The fact is, we got 4 marginal (at best) prospects. No one really likes them, that's why they were available. The guys that are great prospects couldn't be had because we didn't have the leverage with the Pens and refused to eat salary with JBo.

Double Dion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 05:31 PM
Double Dion
Jets fan 30/06/2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baerstcheese View Post
Looking at the potential Clowe deal and some other deals today, Feaster did a decent job TBH. If we really do have the top two goalies outside the NHL, (Ramo and Berra), optimistically, we could have a really good 1,2 punch..
We really don't. You can make a case with Ramo. You can't with Berra. A guy who is ranked 9th in the Swiss league isn't even top 20.

Double Dion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 05:33 PM
Chris Butler
Feels bad man

Quote:
We really don't. You can make a case with Ramo. You can't with Berra. A guy who is ranked 9th in the Swiss league isn't even top 20.
But the mighty Feaster see's all.

INB4 Cinnamon toast crunch jokes

Chris Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 05:42 PM
TheHudlinator

vCash: 145
Quote:
That is not what Swiss fans have said but I am sure you have watched him lots this year right?

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 05:45 PM
InfinityIggy
Inflammatory Poster

vCash: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baerstcheese View Post
But the mighty Feaster see's all.

INB4 Cinnamon toast crunch jokes
Damnit.

Here is my alternative:

"Silly Feaster! Picks are for kids!"

InfinityIggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 05:47 PM
blankall

Quote:
How is he ranked 9th in the league? Where are these rankings?

You do realize he was awarded goalie of the year in the Swiss A league last year. He also represented the Swiss in most of their recent international play too. Kind of strange for the 9th best goalie.

blankall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 06:36 PM
Xoto86
The Professor

Reto Barra was a franchise goalie in Be a GM on NHL 11 and Ramo turned out good too

Seriously though, I think a Berra/Ramo tandem next year will be exciting to see

Xoto86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 06:53 PM
stingo

I've watched a little bit of Berra in the years gone by. Flames fans are going to be pleasantly surprised. Seriously.

stingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 06:55 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Watch he becomes a top 5 goalie and Feaster starts laughing his ass off.

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 07:19 PM
NightBlazer

vCash: 0
Quote:
He has the gall to guarantee playoff berths with highly questionable rosters.
People need to stop holding that against him, because James Duthie put him on the spot in that instance. It was a rapid fire interview, Duthie asked him if he'll make the playoffs, what is he supposed to say, no? But because so many people hate Calgary, they take that quote and milk it for all that it's possibly worth. Personally I always thought he was sucker punched with that question in the first place.

NightBlazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 07:20 PM
jarmoismyhero

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfinityIggy View Post
Whatever happened to "he has negative value", "wouldn't want him on my team"?
Think both fanbases had people way off the mark...I have been saying Jaybo would be a good pickup for cheap which is ultimatly what it cost...Just like Armstong said Feaster was asking for a lot and Army did not want to give up much so Feaster realized that he was not gonna ge what he was asking for and Army was going to have to give up a little more then he wanted...I know typical negotiations but its interesting to hear the GM come out and say that I thought...

jarmoismyhero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 07:35 PM
underslept

Quote:
Originally Posted by flameaholic View Post
Maybe the Blues never had any intention of bringing him over. Or maybe he just recently decided to make the transition to NA. I would have to think it's the latter.
In my opinion, it's the latter. Of course, I have no proof.

I think Berra recently changed his mind about coming to North America. Whether or not it has something to do with being traded to a team with less goaltending depth, we'll never know. That said, I don't think he intends to play in the AHL or he'd be over here already.

That said, I think he's a good goaltender with good lateral movement. Put some defense in front of him and he'll steal you some games. Hope he turns out well.

underslept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 07:59 PM
jarmoismyhero

I have never seen him play and dont know much about him but good that he is going to at least come over and give it a shot...With goalies you never know.

jarmoismyhero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 11:58 PM
smsgtkvv

Quote:
Originally Posted by flameaholic View Post
According to Roger Millions (Sportsnet). He's coming to the NHL.

Next is Karri Ramo.
Unless an actual link exists, is a comment "coming to the NHL" a confirmed signing? The Flames only have the rights to Berra and Ramo and assume or have assurances that these players will sign.

smsgtkvv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 12:01 AM
TheHudlinator

vCash: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by smsgtkvv View Post
Unless an actual link exists, is a comment "coming to the NHL" a confirmed signing? The Flames only have the rights to Berra and Ramo and assume or have assurances that these players will sign.
It was reported in a Swiss newspaper but can't be announced for a month until Berra's contract is over.

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 12:03 AM
Stewie Griffin
Bruinswagoner #4762

Quote:
Originally Posted by smsgtkvv View Post
There's been a few sources claiming Berra's going to sign once his season's done.

Ramo's KHL club is doing whatever they can to keep him, but once the season's over Calgary will be approaching him with a contract offer AFAIK.

Stewie Griffin is online now   Reply With Quote