HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ryane Clowe to Rangers for NYR 2013 2nd, FLA 2013 3rd, Conditional 2nd 2014

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-03-2013, 12:18 AM
  #551
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke
 
Bluenote13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: BKLYN, NYC
Posts: 23,865
vCash: 500
Supposedly Clowe's last play as a Shark was a terrible penalty in OT against the Coyote's. Torts would not like that.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 12:24 AM
  #552
Thirty One
portnor, pls
 
Thirty One's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Victoria, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,944
vCash: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
No.
But you consider Detroit as of last year's trade deadline a deep organization?

Thirty One is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 12:29 AM
  #553
Thirty One
portnor, pls
 
Thirty One's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Victoria, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,944
vCash: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Burns View Post
Guaranteed he fights Iginla his first game
I actually thought: "we don't play Boston tomorrow".

My brain processes new information slowly.

Thirty One is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 12:33 AM
  #554
ColonialsHockey10
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 9,668
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Richards View Post
I know for a fact that I lack this so called, "life". I'm on here way too often.
To each there own.

ColonialsHockey10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 12:34 AM
  #555
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke
 
Bluenote13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: BKLYN, NYC
Posts: 23,865
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by -31- View Post
But you consider Detroit as of last year's trade deadline a deep organization?
I don't have to consider it, they had great depth for almost 20 years, they wasted a 1st rounder on a puck moving Dman, big ****in deal, grasping at straws to prove the Rangers are not the only idiots around.

Unlike the Rangers, the moves Detroit made over those 20 years are still adding to there depth. And they have had depth at the most important positions, homegrown.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 12:38 AM
  #556
Thirty One
portnor, pls
 
Thirty One's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Victoria, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,944
vCash: 420
You don't have to convince me that Detroit has been exquisitly run over the past 20 years. But they are no longer a deep organization.

Thirty One is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 12:41 AM
  #557
Danish Pastry
this is dream!
 
Danish Pastry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: California
Country: United States
Posts: 5,643
vCash: 500
man you guys are lucky i was one of the few who didnt want clowe traded... he will stand up for everyone on your team and will do anything needed...






Danish Pastry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 12:42 AM
  #558
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke
 
Bluenote13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: BKLYN, NYC
Posts: 23,865
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by -31- View Post
You don't have to convince me that Detroit has been exquisitly run over the past 20 years. But they are no longer a deep organization.
They have a history of making good moves, they earn the benefit of the doubt, they proved it, hence earning it.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 12:46 AM
  #559
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup
 
GWOW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Country: United States
Posts: 16,421
vCash: 500
The funny thing is during last postseason, when the team struggled through the first two rounds before losing in the CF, most people were complaining about John Scott being Sathers lone deadline move and how guys like Nash and Clowe were needed.

Make up your minds already. The Pens set the market by acquring two struggling vets (role players no less).

Everybody who thinks they have a shot is overpaying for rentals.

Nothing has worked so far this season, for whatever reason.

The 2013 draft will not set this organization back one bit. They still have 4-5 picks as opposed to 6-7. Big deal.

GWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 12:50 AM
  #560
jwhitesj
Registered User
 
jwhitesj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Pleasanton, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 3,095
vCash: 500
You guys are going to love Clowe. I doubt there will be any Shark fan that will say they will not miss him. He's having trouble putting the puck in the net this year, but I really think that was because he was coaching in the ECHL durring the lockout and wasn't in game shape, and got injured early in the year. He played through the injury for the most part but it made him look really bad. Last few games he is been returning to form, just hasn't put one in yet. I'm sure he will have a few goals by the end of the season, along with a few more fights. Dude is a hell of an old school hockey player and you guys are lucky to have him. The main reason Sharks fans were wanting the trade to happen is not because they wanted to get rid of Clowe, but the fact that we knew we needed to get some value for him before he left as a UFA and our team is ready to start the rebuilding process anyways.

jwhitesj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 12:52 AM
  #561
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul
 
NYR Sting's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 9,506
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kel Varnsen View Post
Just because you only decide to mention the possible negative ways it can play out doesn't mean that positive scenarios don't exist.
Well, of course, positive scenarios exist. That seems fairly obvious and, as it doesn't really relate to my point, not worthy of mention; we all know that a positive scenario exists. There are always positive scenarios. There was a positive scenario when the team made a similar deal for Nik Antropov. There was a positive scenario when they signed Wade Redden, too.

My point, which you didn't really respond to, is that when you make moves, you should be weighing the positive and the negative scenarios against each other. There are a bunch of different ways this could go wrong, but the biggest problem I have with this trade is that Clowe's individual play isn't even what's going to determine how shrewd of a move this is. The Rangers could use Clowe, perhaps, but their fate this season isn't going to be determined BY Clowe, no matter how well he plays. It's going to be determined by how good Richards and Gaborik are, and so far, they've been pretty damn bad.

The negative scenarios, and the likelihood of them coming to fruition, seem to overshadow the positive scenarios with this move. What scares me is that the Rangers, and Glen Sather in particular, have a rich tradition of making trades or free agent signings (which this could be a facsimile of if Clowe is signed to an extension) where they fail to properly evaluate this crucial equation.

I don't understand when teams that are on the playoff bubble at the trade deadline make costly acquisitions. Clowe is, at best, a complimentary player. When you are a bubble team, that means you lack elite talent to win you games on a nightly basis. We have guys who are supposed to be elite; they haven't been. What signs have there been of late signaling a change in that situation.

This just seems a lot like the Antropov move to me. They aren't the same type of player, although they are both big and both have a tendency to forget to play physical at times and try to do too much perimeter playmaking (certainly, Clowe is much more physically engaged than Antropov), but Clowe is going to want the same kind of extension that Antropov wanted. Good thing we didn't give in to Antro's demands, because he has steadily declined for 2-3 years now. Clowe has, as well, and at virtually the same age as Antropov.

I'm not saying they are the same player, but there is a lot about the two situations that is similar.

Do you want to pay Clowe $4-4.5 million a year for the next 4-5 years? I'd have serious reservations about it.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 12:53 AM
  #562
MarleauApologist
fun must be alwalys
 
MarleauApologist's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: San Francisco, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 7,495
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishlaxburger2 View Post
I'd actually call this a "high risk, high reward" move. If things don't work out, we completely waste 3 decent draft picks.

If things do work out, it could be a massive steal.

It's basically a gamble on Clowe's future offensive productivity, which has a pretty large variance looking at this year compared to past seasons, as well as injury concerns.

I hope it works out because I really like Clowe on paper.
Not really. Clowe will most certainly do well in NY and score 50 points in his next full season. I'll put vCash on it.

And some Nuck fan was talking about how he'd rather have more of a high end player as a rental like Gaborik, rather than Clowe; I'd rather take Clowey for a playoff run, and it's not close either. He produces better and he's got much better intangibles that help during the playoffs.


Last edited by MarleauApologist: 04-03-2013 at 01:03 AM.
MarleauApologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 12:54 AM
  #563
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke
 
Bluenote13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: BKLYN, NYC
Posts: 23,865
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWOW View Post
The 2013 draft will not set this organization back one bit. They still have 4-5 picks as opposed to 6-7. Big deal.
First, comparing this years deadline to last is a different ballgame all together. Different situations.

But this part about not caring about having any picks in a drafts top two rounds is being very short sighted. If Clowe resigns that's 4 of the next top 6 picks this team has at the entry draft traded within a year over two drafts.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 12:55 AM
  #564
Aufheben
Global Moderator
#RollWithHayes
 
Aufheben's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Victoria, BC
Country: Angola
Posts: 13,742
vCash: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwhitesj View Post
You guys are going to love Clowe. I doubt there will be any Shark fan that will say they will not miss him. He's having trouble putting the puck in the net this year, but I really think that was because he was coaching in the ECHL durring the lockout and wasn't in game shape, and got injured early in the year. He played through the injury for the most part but it made him look really bad. Last few games he is been returning to form, just hasn't put one in yet. I'm sure he will have a few goals by the end of the season, along with a few more fights. Dude is a hell of an old school hockey player and you guys are lucky to have him. The main reason Sharks fans were wanting the trade to happen is not because they wanted to get rid of Clowe, but the fact that we knew we needed to get some value for him before he left as a UFA and our team is ready to start the rebuilding process anyways.
This is somewhat encouraging, thanks for your input.

Aufheben is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 12:55 AM
  #565
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup
 
GWOW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Country: United States
Posts: 16,421
vCash: 500
People who mention the Red Wings and the last 20 years fail to mention how pathetic they were the previous 20 years.

The Wings always traded prospects and draft picks for veterans.

GWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 12:56 AM
  #566
EuroFlair
Nash 40g in 2014-15
 
EuroFlair's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: the alps
Country: Sweden
Posts: 2,518
vCash: 50
Liked the move, not the price.

Any words on a potential re-singing? Was reports that he "commanded" a contract for waive his NTC before I went to bed last night. Maybe just old bullocks now?

Maybe

EuroFlair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 01:02 AM
  #567
MarleauApologist
fun must be alwalys
 
MarleauApologist's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: San Francisco, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 7,495
vCash: 500
I miss Clowe so much already.

You'll all love him, guarantee it. And this was a great deal. In my short time of following hockey hardcore, this is the saddest I've ever been about losing a player. The only people (not from a player perspective) I would feel this sad about losing is probably Marleau.

You're all so lucky to have him and I hope he wins a cup, although right now NYR probably isn't the best place for him. In five years though? I hope he does well and gets an extension from you guys.

I'll stop my sentiments now but bottom line is you're all lucky, even if you don't realize it.

MarleauApologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 01:07 AM
  #568
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke
 
Bluenote13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: BKLYN, NYC
Posts: 23,865
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWOW View Post
People who mention the Red Wings and the last 20 years fail to mention how pathetic they were the previous 20 years.

The Wings always traded prospects and draft picks for veterans.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great 88 View Post
I miss Clowe so much already.

You'll all love him, guarantee it. And this was a great deal. In my short time of following hockey hardcore, this is the saddest I've ever been about losing a player. The only people (not from a player perspective) I would feel this sad about losing is probably Marleau.

You're all so lucky to have him and I hope he wins a cup, although right now NYR probably isn't the best place for him. In five years though? I hope he does well and gets an extension from you guys.

I'll stop my sentiments now but bottom line is you're all lucky, even if you don't realize it.


Oh man, what a bad omen.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 01:07 AM
  #569
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup
 
GWOW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Country: United States
Posts: 16,421
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
First, comparing this years deadline to last is a different ballgame all together. Different situations.

But this part about not caring about having any picks in a drafts top two rounds is being very short sighted. If Clowe resigns that's 4 of the next top 6 picks this team has at the entry draft traded within a year over two drafts.

How is it different, unless you think the Rangers FO, staff and team dont consider themselves Cup contenders.

Nash was worth every asset. Sorry but I'm not going to lose sleep over not having a 1st rounder this year, and Im sure Sather and Torts feel the same.

You think the Rangers arent a deep organization. Did you ever think the reason why is because they choose to rush their prospects rather than develop them deliberately?

If Hartford had Kreider, Miller, Hagelin, Stepan, Fast, Lindberg, McIlrath, Thomas, maybe even Del Zotto, with Skjei and Nieves in college, I have a feeling youd feel differently.

Maybe Sather is hedging his best that all those guys mentioned, in addition to Staal, McDonagh, Girardi, and Callahan will all be in their prime by the time some random 2nd and 3rd rounder from the 2013 draft wont be old enough or good enough to crack the lineup.

GWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 01:10 AM
  #570
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: NYC
Country: Greece
Posts: 7,552
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Sting View Post
Do you want to pay Clowe $4-4.5 million a year for the next 4-5 years? I'd have serious reservations about it.
Sad thing is, that's probably what Clowe will be looking for in a few months, which is why I'm hating this trade more and more. Moving Gaborik will replenish our picks, but a good chuck of his salary is going to be invested in Clowe. That's not an upgrade. And the fact that we're moving valuable assets to accomplish this is asinine.

Boom Boom Geoffrion* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 01:21 AM
  #571
h0ckeyman
Registered User
 
h0ckeyman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 2,193
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Boom Geoffrion View Post
Sad thing is, that's probably what Clowe will be looking for in a few months, which is why I'm hating this trade more and more. Moving Gaborik will replenish our picks, but a good chuck of his salary is going to be invested in Clowe. That's not an upgrade. And the fact that we're moving valuable assets to accomplish this is asinine.
You can't think of Clowe in terms of being tied to Gaborik, that is just making the whole thing look silly for no reason. It has nothing to do with Gaborik. You can move a few bottom 6 guys and make up that Clowe money also.

Clowe is someone that the Rangers NEED in their lineup...and not for just his scoring. The Rangers have MORE than enough guys that can put the puck in the net. He is needed for his "jam", his competitiveness and heart that left this team with Dubi and Prust. When you factor in that this guy is ALSO a possible 50-60 point player, and can fight with the absolute best of them in the NHL, this is a very versatile and rare player to come across. The Rangers got this guy when he is coming off an injury and upcoming UFA and his stock is at an all time low. I think a lot of Ranger fans will be VERY pleasantly surprised when they watch this guy play night in and night out.

h0ckeyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 01:23 AM
  #572
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke
 
Bluenote13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: BKLYN, NYC
Posts: 23,865
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWOW View Post
Maybe Sather is hedging his best that all those guys mentioned, in addition to Staal, McDonagh, Girardi, and Callahan will all be in their prime by the time some random 2nd and 3rd rounder from the 2013 draft wont be old enough or good enough to crack the lineup.
Again it's being very short sighted.

I'm not against giving up assets, good assets to acquire good players. I've always liked Clowe, but he's someone who is on the wrong side of 30 with baggage to boot - injuries, contract, poor recent showings. His 'unique' qualities that some fans rave about will have to be some kind of difference maker and catalyst for a listless offense, I can't wait to see how that unfolds.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 01:27 AM
  #573
White Plains Batman
Faceoffs? Faceoffs!!
 
White Plains Batman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Westchester, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 2,799
vCash: 500
I'm just worried that this isn't a case of when the Rangers got Tim Kerr (ironically from San Jose for Brian Mullen in the 1991 Expansion Draft) or when Graves or any other power forward just declines overnight when they turn 31-32. If they sign him to a 4-5 year deal, that's risky business.

Another way to look at this is for next year. Let's say the lineup for arguments sake is mostly Nash/Richards/Cally/Stepan/Gaborik/Hagelin/Zuc/Miller/Kreider/Fasth/Lindberg and Clowe.

That's a lot of skill and speed but not exactly a lot of grit.

You'll need guys like Clowe and even McLIrath or a UFA Dman to be the police on the ice and prevent nonsense.

White Plains Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 01:31 AM
  #574
5 4 Fighting
Big member
 
5 4 Fighting's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Bk all day
Country: United States
Posts: 5,008
vCash: 783
Quote:
Originally Posted by h0ckeyman View Post
You can't think of Clowe in terms of being tied to Gaborik, that is just making the whole thing look silly for no reason. It has nothing to do with Gaborik. You can move a few bottom 6 guys and make up that Clowe money also.

Clowe is someone that the Rangers NEED in their lineup...and not for just his scoring. The Rangers have MORE than enough guys that can put the puck in the net. He is needed for his "jam", his competitiveness and heart that left this team with Dubi and Prust. When you factor in that this guy is ALSO a possible 50-60 point player, and can fight with the absolute best of them in the NHL, this is a very versatile and rare player to come across. The Rangers got this guy when he is coming off an injury and upcoming UFA and his stock is at an all time low. I think a lot of Ranger fans will be VERY pleasantly surprised when they watch this guy play night in and night out.
Spot on, there has been lots of negativity around because of the season the boys are having. This is shaping up to be a scary team when the bottom 6 gets upgraded. Nobody will want to play against us and that's what I want, not some freakin draft picks, we're not rebuilding, this move is perfect.

5 4 Fighting is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 01:34 AM
  #575
White Plains Batman
Faceoffs? Faceoffs!!
 
White Plains Batman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Westchester, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 2,799
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by First Man In View Post
Spot on, there has been lots of negativity around because of the season the boys are having. This is shaping up to be a scary team when the bottom 6 gets upgraded. Nobody will want to play against us and that's what I want, not some freakin draft picks, we're not rebuilding, this move is perfect.
I'm hoping some picks can be acquired back tomorrow.

White Plains Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:00 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.