HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

[MTL/LA] Drewiske to MTL for 5th round pick '13

Old
04-02-2013, 10:21 PM
Hannibal
Brandon Prust FTW

vCash: 500
Depth move.

He's gonna play up-until Diaz's return.

I would have hope for a bigger trade, though... We are in position to win the stanley cup, we have cap space, we have draft picks + prospects as tradebait and i don't know if we're gonna be that good next season.

Hannibal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 10:22 PM
Ayatollah Chowmeini

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
I'm not expecting Drew to become a Niinima type deal. I'm hoping Drew turns out to be similar to Gorges.
If that 5th rounder is a playmaking center who leads the league in assists and ridiculous shootout moves, I'm going to be very upset. I don't mean the player drafted with it. I mean the draft pick itself. I think we're pretty safe.

Ayatollah Chowmeini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 10:23 PM
Rapala
Chasin'TheCup

Quote:
Originally Posted by durojean View Post
I've got a what if scenario. If they judge that the guy is comparable to Gorges and that the Gorges contract is too long for too much money.

And that Gorges has a good value around the league. Maybe they plan to trade Gorges in the summer ?
Then we should move Josh now...
Should get 7 firsts

Rapala is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 10:23 PM
99GoHabsGo99
MontrealCanadiens200

vCash: 50
So will Dreiske actually play a game?

99GoHabsGo99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 10:26 PM
Rapala
Chasin'TheCup

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99GoHabsGo99 View Post
Without a doubt...
Did Halpern?
Did Ryder?
We want to see him in action like yesterday...

Rapala is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 10:48 PM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Rather than gorges, I think a more appropriate comparison is a more refined Greg pateryn

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 11:00 PM
Booba
Fier, ému and proud

Normand Flynn's scouting report on Drewiske :

A bigger Bouillon with less offense

Booba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 11:00 PM
Guilliam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forsead View Post
That was an example there is others guys like that in the league, like Kevin Westgarth, Jay Harrison, Shane O'Brien, Ryan O'Byrne, Tyson Strachan, Kent Huskins etc. they maybe aren't all as tough, but they bring hitting, crease clearing and some could have gone for cheap.
Yeah well....except for maybe O'Brien, these guys suck.

O'Byrne? Come on we got a guy who is supposedly solid defensively, sound positionnally and could even get some offensive upside and you're saying you would rather have a pylon that has no clue what to do with the puck just because they hit and fight?

Well let's just agree to disagree then

Guilliam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 11:51 PM
Forsead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guilliam View Post
Yeah well....except for maybe O'Brien, these guys suck.

O'Byrne? Come on we got a guy who is supposedly solid defensively, sound positionnally and could even get some offensive upside and you're saying you would rather have a pylon that has no clue what to do with the puck just because they hit and fight?

Well let's just agree to disagree then
Oh come on, we got Drewiske for god sakes we shouldn't believe at all that he is any better than the guys I named. At 28 years old he has only 126 games played in the NHL I wish to see you argue what make you believe he is any better than the guys I named.

Forsead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 12:16 AM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayatollah Chowmeini View Post
If that 5th rounder is a playmaking center who leads the league in assists and ridiculous shootout moves, I'm going to be very upset. I don't mean the player drafted with it. I mean the draft pick itself. I think we're pretty safe.
Obviously I was talking more about the return not turning out at all to be what we wanted. Not talking about what we gave.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booba View Post
Normand Flynn's scouting report on Drewiske :

A bigger Bouillon with less offense

Carbo said that it was tough to see him play this year because he played about 4-5min a game. Drew averaged just under 15min this year, over 20games.
It surprises me the lack of research and knowledge these guys have. I mean, those guys are paid to talk about the Habs and NHL, yet a simple fan on these boards can know more than these clowns in about a 2min research.
It's so freaking pathetic.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 12:18 AM
MooseOllini
BobBarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99GoHabsGo99 View Post
Unless Bergevin trades for a better Dman tomorrow, for sure he will.

MooseOllini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 12:19 AM
holyhabs87

vCash: 2009
Kings are 0-1 in the post Drewiske era. No coincidence.

holyhabs87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 12:33 AM
Team_Spirit
Tinordi-Subban

vCash: 700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
Obviously I was talking more about the return not turning out at all to be what we wanted. Not talking about what we gave.

Carbo said that it was tough to see him play this year because he played about 4-5min a game. Drew averaged just under 15min this year, over 20games.
It surprises me the lack of research and knowledge these guys have. I mean, those guys are paid to talk about the Habs and NHL, yet a simple fan on these boards can know more than these clowns in about a 2min research.
It's so freaking pathetic.
lol silly Carbo

Team_Spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 12:34 AM
habtastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team_Spirit View Post
lol silly Carbo
Does Michel have a lucky pocket square?

habtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 01:12 AM
marvelousmotion

Had no clue who the guy is but it's a positive sign when you see that fans of his former team and some of his former teammates (i.e. Blake Geoffrion) have nothing but good things to say about him.

Good depth move by Montreal according to the NHL Live broadcaster.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F57nUW2N89I

Although he is not a big hitter for someone his size, good to hear that at least he is not soft, is steady, plays hard and is the type of player willing to do anything to help his team. Fits in the teams' philosophy quite well in my opinion, hence why Bergevin acquired him. Should do fine in the role of a #6 or 7.

marvelousmotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 01:17 AM
Guilliam

Quote:
Oh come on, we got Drewiske for god sakes we shouldn't believe at all that he is any better than the guys I named. At 28 years old he has only 126 games played in the NHL I wish to see you argue what make you believe he is any better than the guys I named.
Well of course we'll wait amd see how he pans out. Maybe he sucks, maybe he doesn't but the guys you named DO suck so it's not like the bar is really high.

Kings fans have nothing but good things to say about him while Avs fans all agree that O'Byrne is really bad so how's that for starters?

Guilliam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 01:21 AM
Ollie Williams

vCash: 167
Everything I have read about this guy so far just makes me think of Gorges. Having a second Gorges on the team is not something to complain about.

Ollie Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 02:20 AM
losingsand

Just to add some points about Whiskey, I follow him very closely because he's one of my favorite underrated underdog-type players.

Whiskey lost his spot when we traded for Ellerby, not because he deserved to be benched but we needed to see what we had in our new player in Keaton. However when Martinez went down, Whiskey stepped back in.

Started to notice game to game that his ice time kept increasing along with his specialty team minutes. The goal in st. louis that he scored was when he was paired with doughty on the first pp unit. When he stepped in for martinez, he was immediately taking the first PK along w/ scuderi. Lets you know he's valued as a shutdown guy.

His ice time climbed from about 11 minutes to about 18 minutes and was playing his best hockey til Martinez came back from injury and he was scratched again. There was a major debate on our boards that the kings should have benched Ellerby who has been underwhelming. I was really bummed that Whiskey was benched again... even though it seemed like he was earning the coaches trust quickly in all situations. I just don't get how why you rather scratch Davis logging 18 minutes rather than ellerby who was logging 11. But, i'm not the coach and I guess we're really trying to get ellerby to learn the system and the conference. Big mistake on the kings part especially when we lost Greene and Mitchell, Wiskey provides more of what those injured guys have.
Ah well, you guys have him now and i'm hoping he gets to play.

Something that you'll notice about DD44 is how much he actually takes the puck down low offensively. He's not afraid to pinch and be a part of the offensive cycle down low. Not saying he's a loose cannon by any means, he's smart about it and doesn't hesitate, which makes it easier for his teammates to cover for him at the point. But the dude is good at keeping a cycle going.
Other characteristics:
--His shots rarely get blocked
--good first pass
--he's getting nastier in front of the net from year to year, started his nhl career timid, though now he's taken a page from greene and is BECOMING more and more physical.. by no means is he a bruiser, him being a team player i just think he was afraid of picking up minor penalties, he's slowly but surely finding that balance.
--speed is average for a defenseman.
--serviceable in all situations. There's no WOW factor to Drewiske, but this guy totally gets the subtleties of being a solid NHL defenseman.

BEST of luck to DD44, please play him, you won't regret it...I think he'll come out and be timid, but it doesn't take him much time to adapt and contribute. Good luck to you guys, i'm now rooting for you in the east.

losingsand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 02:31 AM
hockeyman*

Quote:
Originally Posted by losingsand View Post
Just to add some points about Whiskey, I follow him very closely because he's one of my favorite underrated underdog-type players.

Whiskey lost his spot when we traded for Ellerby, not because he deserved to be benched but we needed to see what we had in our new player in Keaton. However when Martinez went down, Whiskey stepped back in.

Started to notice game to game that his ice time kept increasing along with his specialty team minutes. The goal in st. louis that he scored was when he was paired with doughty on the first pp unit. When he stepped in for martinez, he was immediately taking the first PK along w/ scuderi. Lets you know he's valued as a shutdown guy.

His ice time climbed from about 11 minutes to about 18 minutes and was playing his best hockey til Martinez came back from injury and he was scratched again. There was a major debate on our boards that the kings should have benched Ellerby who has been underwhelming. I was really bummed that Whiskey was benched again... even though it seemed like he was earning the coaches trust quickly in all situations. I just don't get how why you rather scratch Davis logging 18 minutes rather than ellerby who was logging 11. But, i'm not the coach and I guess we're really trying to get ellerby to learn the system and the conference. Big mistake on the kings part especially when we lost Greene and Mitchell, Wiskey provides more of what those injured guys have.

Something that you'll notice about DD44 is how much he actually takes the puck down low offensively. He's not afraid to pinch and be a part of the offensive cycle down low. Not saying he's a loose cannon by any means, he's smart about it and doesn't hesitate, which makes it easier for his teammates to cover for him at the point. But the dude is good at keeping a cycle going.
Other characteristics:
--good first pass
--he's getting nastier in front of the net from year to year, started his nhl career timid, though now he's taken a page from greene and is BECOMING more and more physical.. by no means is he a bruiser, him being a team player i just think he was afraid of picking up minor penalties, he's slowly but surely finding that balance.
--serviceable in all situations. There's no WOW factor to Drewiske, but this guy totally gets the subtleties of being a solid NHL defenseman.

BEST of luck to DD44, please play him, you won't regret it...I think he'll come out and be timid, but it doesn't take him much time to adapt and contribute. Good luck to you guys, i'm now rooting for you in the east.
Thanks Brother

hockeyman* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 04:15 AM
BaseballCoach

Quote:
I have a sneaky feeling that in 10 days we are going to be wondering how this guy was kept in the press box so much during his career.

BaseballCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 04:19 AM
BaseballCoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by losingsand View Post

Other characteristics:
--good first pass

Not one Colorado fan has anything nearly as positive to say about O'Byrne. But SEVERAL Kings fans have echoed these sentiments on the boards, with not a single killjoy surfacing yet.

It's encouraging that maybe the Habs' pro scouting group knows what they are doing (they were already right about Ryder and Halpern!!).

BaseballCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 04:26 AM
Komarov47

cheap, good stay at home dman, can move the puck. I can't see where it is a bad trade. Seriously who give a **** about toughness anyway? The Habs are second in the East, they beat the Bruins... Clowe would have been a good add, but even if the team would stay like that, i would be ok about it, plus Bourque will be back, and let's hope Diaz soon.

Komarov47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 05:15 AM
The Right Price

I like this trade.

Obviously ATM he is going to be the 7th D when (if) Diaz comes back. However, it is good that they have Drewiske to put some pressure on the top 6 D in practice too, a bit of competition never hurt no one. On a final note, I would've liked to see more of Beaulieu.

The Right Price is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 05:32 AM
TennisMenace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollie Williams View Post
Everything I have read about this guy so far just makes me think of Gorges. Having a second Gorges on the team is not something to complain about.
Agree. Not sure what people want from a 6-7 Dman ....... Bobby Orr skills!!!!!

TennisMenace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 05:38 AM
Mr. Hab

Love it!! (genius move since we keep all of our important Draft Picks and we add a big/tall dman who can end up being a bigger version of Gorges...love it!).

Welcome to Montreal, Whiskey!! (all the best of luck and health).

2013 Draft Picks:
1st Rnd
2nd Rnd Pick
2nd Rnd Pick
2nd Rnd Pick
3rd Rnd Pick
3rd Rnd Pick

4th Rnd Pick
6th Rnd Pick? (do we still have it?)
7th Rnd Pick? (does it even go this far anymore?!)

Mr. Hab is offline   Reply With Quote