HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

RW Valeri Nichushkin - Chelyabinsk, KHL (2013, 10th overall, Dallas)

Closed Thread

Old
04-02-2013, 01:40 PM
Karmacoma

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fulcrum View Post
Another very solid game from him. Ak Bars had their best D against him in Nikulin and a few others. They couldn't knock him off the puck a few times, one of his board battles led to the 3rd GWG. Another time he took both Defenseman down with him into the corner and the puck kept going to one of his guys. He had a few 1v1s and was fast as ever, very direct to the net and really broke up the mid-ice game flow.

You could hear the crowd and the commentator react the second he had the puck with a bit of open ice and he didn't disappoint.

All in all they did contain him, but just barely. He still kept sneaking to the net. They certainly couldn't get the puck from him. At 17 he still has lots of room for improvement but even his current level is very impressive.
He is already 18

Old
04-02-2013, 04:22 PM
helicecopter

lol, bummer.... bust!

and will that birthdate be correct anyway?!?

Old
04-03-2013, 01:53 AM
Kshahdoo

I bet Washington will draft him in the 1st. The problem is what 1st it will be...

Old
04-03-2013, 09:31 AM
TylerSVT*

vCash: 1303
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kshahdoo View Post
I bet Washington will draft him in the 1st. The problem is what 1st it will be...
Would actually be smart, they have Kusnetzov already, he could help convince Nichushkin to come over next year as well.

Old
04-03-2013, 09:36 AM
ozo

Send a message via Skype™ to ozo
Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerSVT View Post
Would actually be smart, they have Kusnetzov already, he could help convince Nichushkin to come over next year as well.
Yeah, Kuznetsov is the real guy to convince someone of coming over. Maybe Radulov will chip in as well.

Old
04-03-2013, 05:54 PM
malkinfan

Send a message via MSN to malkinfan
Washington is only interested in dump and chase 4th line styled guys now.. That would make too much sense for them to draft Nichushkin. How dare they trade Forsberg BTW.

Old
04-03-2013, 06:06 PM
MonkeyBusiness

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMantzas View Post
Any chance he drops to the mid teens or low twenties? This guy would be awesome on NJ
There's always a chance and it wouldn't surprise me, some might think his style of play wouldn't work in the NHL and some GM's would be scared he might not come over. Great prospect nonetheless, a physical freak.

Old
04-04-2013, 12:52 AM
malkinfan

According to one NHL scout: The Russian factor is thrown out of the window, he is that good. Expect top 3.

Old
04-04-2013, 12:57 AM
Ashasx

Quote:
Originally Posted by malkinfan View Post
According to one NHL scout: The Russian factor is thrown out of the window, he is that good. Expect top 3.
No team picking top 3 will risk such an important pick on a Russian who has 2 years left on his KHL deal. I guarantee this.

Old
04-04-2013, 01:27 AM
Slay

It is in an NHL club's interests for Nichushkin to stay couple years in Russia. He is still relatively raw. Majority of successful Russians (or Europeans for that matter) came over a year or 2 or even 3 after been drafted. Nichushkin didn't play enough hockey to rush to NA. He needs to focus on hockey without any off ice stuff standing in the way (like language barrier for example).

Old
04-04-2013, 07:23 AM
vorky
@vorkywh24

When he is ready, he can play NHL, I say at his 30

Old
04-04-2013, 07:52 AM
MonkeyBusiness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slay View Post
It is in an NHL club's interests for Nichushkin to stay couple years in Russia. He is still relatively raw. Majority of successful Russians (or Europeans for that matter) came over a year or 2 or even 3 after been drafted. Nichushkin didn't play enough hockey to rush to NA. He needs to focus on hockey without any off ice stuff standing in the way (like language barrier for example).
How is he looking right now in the KHL? Has playing against men been a tough transition for him?

Old
04-04-2013, 08:39 AM
Vasilevskiy
I've many surnames

Think Yzerman will draft this guy

Old
04-04-2013, 09:18 AM
Slay

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyBusiness View Post
How is he looking right now in the KHL? Has playing against men been a tough transition for him?
He looks fairly dominant physically (with and without puck) even with limited minutes he gets, but he was on a receiving end of one or two open ice hits that I didn't like (one of them was a blindside I believe). So he needs to adjust to these things, and jumping early to the small ice could be mistake I think. Also he is lanky guy and developing more balance, coordination and even strength won't hurt.

Old
04-04-2013, 09:27 AM
MonkeyBusiness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slay View Post
He looks fairly dominant physically (with and without puck) even with limited minutes he gets, but he was on a receiving end of one or two open ice hits that I didn't like (one of them was a blindside I believe). So he needs to adjust to these things, and jumping early to the small ice could be mistake I think. Also he is lanky guy and developing more balance, coordination and even strength won't hurt.
Thanks for the insight.

Old
04-04-2013, 03:38 PM
geoo9

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyBusiness View Post
he looks dominant against men and really hard to take off the puck from him/ he dominating 1v1 sometimes 1v2 defs in corners / dirty zones /near the boards in slow episodes but if them let him gain a speed he cant be stopped
His weak sides in my opinion - mediocre shooting skills and cardio

Old
04-05-2013, 05:17 AM
tenho995

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozo View Post
Yeah, Kuznetsov is the real guy to convince someone of coming over. Maybe Radulov will chip in as well.
yeah radulov and kuznetsov are very good at convincing khl players to come over

Old
04-05-2013, 05:54 PM
Fulcrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoo9 View Post
he looks dominant against men and really hard to take off the puck from him/ he dominating 1v1 sometimes 1v2 defs in corners / dirty zones /near the boards in slow episodes but if them let him gain a speed he cant be stopped
His weak sides in my opinion - mediocre shooting skills and cardio
Oh he can rip a wrister! I saw him do it a lot more in VHL, even a few times in KHL. He's not a pure sniper, but he has a wicked wrister and will punish goalies from the slot many times.

And Cardio? Seriously? The guys a beast physically for his age! It's obviously very subjective considering his age and playing against men in grueling playoff hockey, but his fitness is certainly NOT his weakness.

If anything is his weakness is either his defensive play or the passing game...

Old
04-05-2013, 05:56 PM
Fulcrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
No team picking top 3 will risk such an important pick on a Russian who has 2 years left on his KHL deal. I guarantee this.
Well apparently some scouts are guaranteeing the opposite. That's the point, you see..

Old
04-05-2013, 06:43 PM
JesusBouillon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fulcrum View Post
Well apparently some scouts are guaranteeing the opposite. That's the point, you see..
Well it ain't happening. There's too many safe bets around that could turn out just as good if not better than him for Nichushkin to go top 3.

Old
04-05-2013, 07:13 PM
DJB
Sens best prospect

vCash: 400
Top 3 talent doesn't always get you into the top 3 when you were born in Russia. If I was picking at 4 I would gladly take whoever is left between Jones, McKinnon or Drouin.

Russians are too dangerous and risky.

Old
04-05-2013, 07:56 PM
SimplySensational
Heard of Hough

vCash: 888
It all comes down to what he says in interviews...

I hope he tells everyone but Washington he doesn't want to play in the NHL. Would be genius.

Old
04-06-2013, 03:08 AM
malkinfan

I hope Yzerman will grab him, don't know if he'll slip to where Tampa will be picking but Yzerman will not pass on him. just not that stupid. Nichushkin legit has been in Traktors top 3 performing forwards during the PO IMO. He has recently been bumped from a line with another skilled young guy named Karpov to a line with Kostitsyn and they look great together.
The fact that Traktors forwards are so skilled and deep should raise Nichushkins development path through the roof. He will be developing along side guys like Bulis, Chistov, Kostitsyn, Kuznetsov etc.. If you were an NHL GM why would you want to take him away from an enviroment like that? You would have to have rocks in your head...
I can't wait to see him at the WJC, with Yakimov too, who people seem to be forgetting about. Another massive 6'4 220 lb 18 yo with tonnes of skill and had a great finnish to the season in the VHL. They are going to dominate.

Old
04-06-2013, 03:29 AM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

I don't get why ppl are putting their faith in Yzerman...this is the same guy who picked Koekkoek over Forsberg and Grigorenko (and even Teravainen)...so if 2012 is any indication it seems he was happy to skip over players w/ high end skill for a player who was steady and safe but not particularly elite

Old
04-06-2013, 05:52 AM
Franck
Insolent Upstart

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by UsernameWasTaken View Post
I don't get why ppl are putting their faith in Yzerman...this is the same guy who picked Koekkoek over Forsberg and Grigorenko (and even Teravainen)...so if 2012 is any indication it seems he was happy to skip over players w/ high end skill for a player who was steady and safe but not particularly elite
People keep mentioning Yzerman because he's established a track record of drafting Russians. He is the most Russian-friendly GM in the league, at least as far as the draft goes.

Closed Thread