HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

[DAL/VAN] Derek Roy to Vancouver for 2nd + Kevin Connauton

Old
04-03-2013, 02:37 AM
Orca Smash

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by just22 View Post
I learned that assignment papers must be brutal.

Orca Smash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 03:10 AM
Rivet52
Sabres & Blackhawks

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Rivet52
It's a good trade for both teams but I love it for the Canucks.

Roy's a really good player. Evidently the Stars weren't going to be able to re-sign him (which surprises me to an extent as I thought he'd like to stay in Dallas) but got a pretty good return for him. Connauton isn't a bad prospect. Certainly not one of the Canucks' top ones but definitely not a bad one. He's struggled defensively though in the AHL. His offensive game is definitely there but if he hopes to make the jump he needs to better establish his play in his own end. Kind of surprises me though that Nieuwendyk didn't get a forward prospect instead, as the Stars have acquired a ton of defense prospects recently.

With Sedin and Kesler already signed long-term, it'll be interesting to see what happens to Roy in the summer. He will be one of the most sought-after UFAs and should easily get $5M+ per on the open market and the Canucks might not need to re-sign him (unless they trade Kesler or something drastic like that) since he will be looking to be a team's top-six center and to be paid accordingly and both of those don't seem realistic for him in Vancouver for next season, at least at this moment. Kesler won't be out forever and I doubt they'd want to re-sign Roy to play wing. Who knows? Maybe Roy is willing to take a big pay-cut and be the third line center or play on the wing depending on what happens this season in order to stay in Vancouver but I highly doubt it. Seems like he'll only be there a few months until he moves yet again. He has his Cup chance though and the Canucks needed a second line center for the rest of the season and into the playoffs without Kesler for now. Roy's a good one and he makes them a lot better. He gets a chance at the Cup in Vancouver in the coming months and likely leaves for a big pay-day elsewhere on July 1st.

Good trade for both teams though. Canucks paid a fair price for a good player they needed and the Stars at least got something for him. Again, would've liked the return more for Dallas if it was a decent forward prospect but it's something I guess.

Vancouver and Buffalo continue to have players who have played for one play for the other at some point. Pyatt, Bernier, Ehrhoff, Hodgson, Kassian, Gragnani, Sulzer, Mancari, and now Roy recently.

Rivet52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 03:38 AM
LPH
[hello] :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dss97 View Post
I thought the Canucks were trying to become tougher?
we did that over the summer and and last year to some extent

LPH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 03:40 AM
LPH
[hello] :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aloonda View Post
he was on our 2nd pk
he has skills for sure
against a heavy team like the kings etc
he gets knocked around and becomes a stick poker instead of a puck getter

good riddance
glad to take him off your hands

LPH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 03:45 AM
Sports
bedroom eyes

Quote:
Originally Posted by aloonda View Post
he was on our 2nd pk
he has skills for sure
against a heavy team like the kings etc
he gets knocked around and becomes a stick poker instead of a puck getter

good riddance
Theres a poetry style that reads a lot like this.
I got a kick out of imagining you up on a stage in some coffeehouse reading it off all drab.

Sports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 03:58 AM
canadianmagpie

I like this trade for both teams, Dallas gets a couple pieces for the future (Connauton was surpassed by a couple other prospects and most of our blueline is already locked up) while Vancouver gets that centre they've been looking for.

Ideally, I would like to see Kesler switched back to the wing and Roy becomes our 2nd line centre as I think Roy's mindset is better suited to a playmaking centre instead of Kesler's shoot-first method that doesn't work.

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows
Higgins - Roy - Kesler
Raymond - Schroeder - Hansen
Kassian - Lapierre - Sestito/Booth

When healthy would be my preferable lineup of choice. Ideally, I would like a bigger 3rd line centre instead of Schroeder, but Raymond and Hansen have played well with him.

canadianmagpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 04:11 AM
DJOpus

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadianmagpie View Post
I like this trade for both teams, Dallas gets a couple pieces for the future (Connauton was surpassed by a couple other prospects and most of our blueline is already locked up) while Vancouver gets that centre they've been looking for.

Ideally, I would like to see Kesler switched back to the wing and Roy becomes our 2nd line centre as I think Roy's mindset is better suited to a playmaking centre instead of Kesler's shoot-first method that doesn't work.

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows
Higgins - Roy - Kesler
Raymond - Schroeder - Hansen
Kassian - Lapierre - Sestito/Booth

When healthy would be my preferable lineup of choice. Ideally, I would like a bigger 3rd line centre instead of Schroeder, but Raymond and Hansen have played well with him.
Why not just run all our players at their natural positions:
Sedin - Sedin - Burrows
Higgins - Kesler - Hansen (shut-down line)
Booth - Roy - Kassian
Raymond - Lapierre - Wiese

The 3rd and 4th lines should get favorable match-ups all the time.

DJOpus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 04:18 AM
Smokey McCanucks

From what I've seen of Roy, I'd say he's a small, soft perimeter player, streaky/inconsistent, good passer/playmaker but bad puck-carrier who won't go to the scoring areas, average-to-decent skating, barely okay defensively, can easily be shut down by a team with a good defensive system, doesn't bring anything physically. Has had good faceoff seasons in the past but this hasn't been one of them, probably due to changing conferences.

Could be effective playing against lesser competition, if Kesler is able to come back and play the shutdown role and the Sedins draw the other team's shutdown guys, that'd leave Roy's line playing the role of the second line, but with third-line minutes, and Kesler's line the reverse. Could work out. Wouldn't bet on it. Don't like this trade.

Smokey McCanucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 06:30 AM
Tiranis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokey McCanucks View Post
From what I've seen of Roy, I'd say he's a small, soft perimeter player, streaky/inconsistent, good passer/playmaker but bad puck-carrier who won't go to the scoring areas, average-to-decent skating, barely okay defensively, can easily be shut down by a team with a good defensive system, doesn't bring anything physically.
Whatever player you're describing, it's not Roy.

Tiranis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 09:14 AM
jameswrjobe53

vCash: 492
Ken Campbell @ THNKenCampbell 16h
Can anyone figure out what Dallas is doing? Ott trade now reads: Ott and Pardy for Kevin Connauton and second round pick.

jameswrjobe53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 01:35 PM
Johnny Canucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundface View Post
If AV goes to that lineup and Booth comes back, Vancouver is looking pretty good

Sedin Sedin Burrows
Higgins Roy Kesler
Raymond Schroeder Hansen
Booth Lapierre Kassian

When your 4th line can be sent out completely un sheltered that's a good thing
DJ Booth is not returning and wont play another game in a canucks sweater.

Johnny Canucker is offline   Reply With Quote