HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 NHL Entry Draft Talk 5.0

Closed Thread

Old
04-02-2013, 10:38 AM
LeHabsMan

vCash: 500
Ryan Hartman is my choice in the 1st if Burakovsky is gone. Skilled yet gritty forward. Then Jacob De La Rose, Emile Poirier and Diaby/Morin in the 2nd. Jordan Subban and Nick Baptiste in the 3rd.

Old
04-02-2013, 11:01 AM
Habsfannick
HFBoards Sponsor

Idk if I'm speaking out of my ass but I think a guy like mantha or zykov are exactly what we need to become elite in the future gally is gonna need a prolific goal scorer on his wing and these guys fill the need, I've watched them play a lot and I love them both, any chance we get them where we draft or if not any chance we move up

Old
04-02-2013, 11:08 AM
Marc the Habs Fan
Cakes!

vCash: 473
It's possible 1 will be there in the late 20's. Zykov especially.

Mantha was great in round 1. 11 points in 6 games. 2 goals last night to win the series vs PEI.

Old
04-02-2013, 11:19 AM
Draft

I think that Anthony Duclair would still be a good pick. Tough year but tons of speed and skill. A little undersized. Thoughts?

Old
04-02-2013, 11:26 AM
StapleA

I remember back when Simon Despres went 30th overall while the NHL rated him as #6 in NA...any chance of something like that happening?

Old
04-02-2013, 11:27 AM
Jeffrey

Send a message via MSN to Jeffrey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft View Post
I think that Anthony Duclair would still be a good pick. Tough year but tons of speed and skill. A little undersized. Thoughts?
Very weak and overrated IMO (very similar situation to Angelo Esposito)

Old
04-02-2013, 11:30 AM
Mrb1p

Quote:
Originally Posted by StapleA View Post
I remember back when Simon Despres went 30th overall while the NHL rated him as #6 in NA...any chance of something like that happening?
It will happen. Theres about 50-60 players who could go 15-30. So look for fallers and riser.

Old
04-02-2013, 11:30 AM
Jeffrey

Send a message via MSN to Jeffrey
Quote:
Everything is possible last year I wouldn't have ever imagined Filip Forsberg outside the top 5, nevermind the top 10 !

Same situation with Emerson Etem who was rated as a surefire top 15 just to end up in Anaheim at 29.

Old
04-02-2013, 11:32 AM
Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post
Very weak and overrated IMO (very similar situation to Angelo Esposito)
Worth a late second? The late first round is always a tough spot to gauge, I think the three 2nd rounders will have a lot of value.

Old
04-02-2013, 11:36 AM
Mrb1p

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft View Post
Worth a late second? The late first round is always a tough spot to gauge, I think the three 2nd rounders will have a lot of value.
I think Better players will fall to the late second, but early to mid thirds, he could be as good as they get.

Old
04-02-2013, 12:09 PM
LeHabsMan

Quote:
For sure. Especially in a draft like this. Guys like Ristolainen, Erne, Morrissey, Hagg, Zykov and Wennberg can fall to Montreals lap if we are lucky.

Maybe Shinkaruk, Nichushkin and Pulock too but I doubt teams in the mid round pass on them.

Old
04-02-2013, 12:16 PM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Someone better buy me a beer if Duclair slides out of the 1st round.. 'cause I got a lot of heat for suggesting that before the season.

Also, I should be at game 2 of Mooseheads vs. Gatineau. Players to scout on Gatineau?

Old
04-02-2013, 12:25 PM
ccgg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
It's possible 1 will be there in the late 20's. Zykov especially.

Mantha was great in round 1. 11 points in 6 games. 2 goals last night to win the series vs PEI.
I would take him with the 30th pick (since Montréal will win the Stanley Cup) of course. I saw 5 of the 6 games, 3 games live. It's crazy how he can be invisible for a game but still scoring 2-3 goals and 3-4 points. He has a NHL wrist-shot for sure. He is a great skater, very fluid, good hands too. Sometimes, there are HFboarders who call him a powerfoward. But no, he is a creative offensive foward. While he is 6'4", he isn't physical. He tends to disappear and I don't want to insult Mantha, but the 11 points are more about PEI than Mantha. I'll quote myself after game 5.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccgg View Post
I was in the lounge at the Civic Center yesterday. It was nice, there was a good atmosphere. But the game was frustrating. Between the people who were screaming "shhoooott" for no reason at the bad moment, the players weren't playing as a team, as a unit. There is no support for the puck holder. There is too much space between each players in the offensive zone. In the defensive zone too, sometimes the fowards are already at the offensive blueline while a defenceman has the puck behind Antoine Bibeau. That creates several dangerous turnovers and scoring chances. PEI needs to play like a team. When the Rocket don't have the puck in the defensive zone, the defencemen are too aggressive. Even in a 2-men penalty kill, they try to hit other players. That creates even more space. We must be less agressive in the defensive area, play as a unit and be smarter. By the way, it was a great game for Ryan Graves. He even showed offensive awareness and anticipation ! IMO, the veterans must step up their game.
And since I'm a Habs fan and Rocket fan, I'll talk a bit about two prospects: Ryan Graves and Yan-Pavel Laplante. At the beginning of the season, I hated Graves. He was slow, soft, dumb. He played top-4 minutes but he wasn't ready. Tomas Pavelka needed to be a babysitter and he did it well. At the trade deadline PEI added Troy Vance, a Dallas Stars prospect. Graves played on the third pairing after this trade. In the last month, Ryan showed a big progression. He is faster, stronger and meaner. He is still not a bad-guy, but he is physical. He even showed offensive awareness, which is great since I was sure he was a second Hal Gill. He is now an "ok" skater. I think Gill is a good comparison. I don't know if he will be drafted, maybe in the 6th or 7th round, but as a Habs fan I don't want him.

Laplante. What a game last night. 3 goals, two in the third period. He touched the post twice in overtime. He was skating like the wind, crashing the net like the Rocket, back-checking like Plekanec. He was marvelous. But he just need to be more consistent. He is a hardworking-defensive-foward-with-speed or a top-prospect, it depends of the game. IMO, he is in the mold of Danault-Leblanc-Bournival. Like I said a speedy hardworking two-way foward with an unknow ceiling. I would cry of hapiness if Montréal drafts him in the 5th, 6th or 7th round because I am sure he can find a way to be a solid pro hockey player.

Old
04-02-2013, 12:26 PM
Mrb1p

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
Someone better buy me a beer if Duclair slides out of the 1st round.. 'cause I got a lot of heat for suggesting that before the season.

Also, I should be at game 2 of Mooseheads vs. Gatineau. Players to scout on Gatineau?
You called it, I will send a 6-pack through priority shipping.

Only Poirier really stand out...

Old
04-02-2013, 12:57 PM
HabsSlappy

Looks like Dallas and Calgary are official embracing the tank. We will probably have 6 picks between 27 and 70 (or better)

Another way of thinking of it...on average, the Habs will be picking every 7 picks from the late first to early third.

Just have to wait and see if MB is going to deal any of those picks. I think the right idea is to just stand pat though. Maybe trade a mediocre prospect and a 4th or later for a decent player.

Old
04-02-2013, 01:00 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsSlappy View Post
Looks like Dallas and Calgary are official embracing the tank. We will probably have 6 picks between 27 and 70 (or better)

Another way of thinking of it...on average, the Habs will be picking every 7 picks from the late first to early third.

Just have to wait and see if MB is going to deal any of those picks. I think the right idea is to just stand pat though. Maybe trade a mediocre prospect and a 4th or later for a decent player.
Or deal 2014 picks, after this year the cupboards should be much better stocked.

Old
04-02-2013, 01:09 PM
Draft

I would be very excited for a pick in the top 15, I'd try and trade up wherever possible. Move a veteran player like Gionta (I'm aware there's a NMC), or Markov (Yes he's a key player on our team) to try and catch one of the elite forwards that might fall out of the top 10.

Old
04-02-2013, 07:55 PM
MXD

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post

One other well-known player and Three outside chances :

Martin Reway -- Small, really small playmaking winger. Pure offensive player.

Jean-Simon Deslauriers -- smallish D that missed the first part of the season and played really good in the first round. Unlikely to be drafted.

Taylor Burke -- Eligible last year, but oft-injured since beginning in the Q. Could carve out a career as a 4th line Center, as he's pretty good on the PK and can win faceoffs. Can hit and fight.

Eric Brassard -- Unlikely to play, backup goalie, first year of eligibility

Old
04-02-2013, 08:02 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by MXD View Post
One other well-known player and Three outside chances :

Martin Reway -- Small, really small playmaking winger. Pure offensive player.

Jean-Simon Deslauriers -- smallish D that missed the first part of the season and played really good in the first round. Unlikely to be drafted.

Taylor Burke -- Eligible last year, but oft-injured since beginning in the Q. Could carve out a career as a 4th line Center, as he's pretty good on the PK and can win faceoffs. Can hit and fight.

Eric Brassard -- Unlikely to play, backup goalie, first year of eligibility
Taylor Burke has a whole lot of work to do....but so did I think Tye McGinn would also have. And McGinn is in the NHL.

Reway, is REALLY interesting as he's your typical player that could go either way.....From boom to bust. And nothing in between. I would be tempted to get him....but would hope he'd last in the 3rd. Wishful thinking I guess....

Old
04-02-2013, 08:06 PM
MXD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Taylor Burke has a whole lot of work to do....but so did I think Tye McGinn would also have. And McGinn is in the NHL.
The thing with McGinn is that... Burke is more physical than McGinn was (with Gatineau) -- not to mention that when McGinn came to Gatineau, he was basically the same age than Burke is now.

Old
04-02-2013, 08:26 PM
Vasculio
Booya !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrb1p View Post
It will happen. Theres about 50-60 players who could go 15-30. So look for fallers and riser.
Agreed, the top 60 this year is very good, and while I wouldn't have minded a guy like Clowe (not at that price though), or a guy like Pominville (who knows), I hope we somehow manage to get another late first or another 2nd (or both ), too many quality prospects this year...

1st : Mantha/Hartman/Wennberg
2nd: Poirier/Petan/Comrie
2nd: Dauphin/De La Rose/Theodore
2nd: Carrier(not sure he'll be there)/Morin/Moutrey
3rd: Diaby(again, not sure...)/Hill/Kujawinski(most probably not there)
3rd: Baptiste/McCarron(too early probably, but we don't have our 4th nor our 5th)/Bell

Just throwing up names that are interesting for the moment, might change idea tomorrow, so yeah...

Old
04-02-2013, 09:31 PM
S Bah

I see Tanka Bay is at it again,Florida beating them 2-0 at the end of two periods.I guess Stamkos and Hedman were good but Johnathan Drouin has them Drooling.

Old
04-02-2013, 09:48 PM
Marc the Habs Fan
Cakes!

vCash: 473
Quote:
Originally Posted by S Bah View Post
I see Tanka Bay is at it again,Florida beating them 2-0 at the end of two periods.I guess Stamkos and Hedman were good but Johnathan Drouin has them Drooling.
They tied it. Hopefully that goes to OT.

With FLA playing better and CGY unloading, it's quite possible the CGY pick could be 31st.

Edit: OT in that game. Excellent.

Last edited by Marc the Habs Fan: 04-02-2013 at 10:03 PM.
Old
04-03-2013, 06:20 AM
S Bah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
They tied it. Hopefully that goes to OT.

With FLA playing better and CGY unloading, it's quite possible the CGY pick could be 31st.

Edit: OT in that game. Excellent.
Well Florida wins in the shootout,only Colorado/28 pts. behind Calgary/30 pts.,Florida/30 Tanka Bay/32 Philly/33 and Buff/34 and Carolina/34. It's a close race said the Tortoise to the Hare.Go Calgary Go!1st pick in the 2nd would be nice,especially if we have the last pick in the 1st round.

Old
04-03-2013, 06:57 AM
QuebecPride
@Etienne_Pouliot

I'm curious to see where you guys see Clapperton go, if he actually gets drafted. I personally can't see teams sniff on him for a second year.

I think some teams might like him enough to snag him in the 3rd round, but he will more likely go in the later rounds. I'd definitely look at him with our 4th pick and beyond.

Closed Thread