HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

Do we play worse against bad teams?

Old
04-03-2013, 09:16 AM
dr robbie
Let's Go Pens!

vCash: 500
Do we play worse against bad teams?

Just wondering. It seems like we play our worst against teams that aren't that great. Here's a list of our 9 losses so far this season and the current standings of these teams:

Maple Leafs 5th
Jets 3rd (would actually be in 8th if their division wasn't so crappy)
Islanders 8th
Devils 7th
Devils 7th
Flyers 13th
Panthers 15th
Hurricanes 11th
Sabres 12th

Almost half of our losses (4 out of 9) have been against teams that aren't even in the playoffs currently. Maybe it's just me, but I feel like we bring our game to the bigger teams, but just don't have that spark against the weaker ones. Any thoughts? Just weird matchups?

dr robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 09:23 AM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

Numbers speak for themselves. It's actually not that uncommon in sports. Very good teams often sit back sometimes against weaker teams, dialing the urgency throttle back too far and then after they get behind they press / can't catch up.

Darth Vitale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 09:40 AM
ManInTheBox
Women Love Candy

I think puck control is one of the most productive tools we use to score points against teams. Perhaps we become unfocused against some teams where it comes easier.

ManInTheBox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 09:48 AM
Dying Alive
Not a man, man.

It certainly seems like it sometimes, yes. That said, the Devils were ahead of us in the standings when they beat us IIRC.

Dying Alive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 09:55 AM
plaidchuck

Eh it's a Catch 22, if you beat a bunch of "bad" teams you are just feasting on bottom feeders and then if you lose to them you are playing down to them. In the Pens defense they have also beaten the Islanders 5-1 and Winnipeg 4-0 during the streak. But also during those earlier losses many of those teams (Canes, Devils) were playing much better or without injuries, so they weren't necessarily "bad" then.

Last edited by plaidchuck: 04-03-2013 at 10:01 AM.
plaidchuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 09:58 AM
Jacques G
Glassic

I didn't realize they have only lost 9 games this season.

Jacques G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 10:13 AM
Ozz

Seems to be the case, though it's nothing new AND thankfully it's not 100% guaranteed. Games vs. "lesser" teams are the ones I mostly expect the Pens will lay an egg, just like last night.

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 11:15 AM
KiuasWarrior

Then we should be fine come playoffs, right?

KiuasWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 11:30 AM
No Chance of Fluerys
Les Go!

See,

This is a common state of mind from steelers and pens fans i've noticed here in pittsburgh. All you ever hear is "We suck against crappy teams". If you look at the numbers of our performance against them, then yes, it looks that way.

However, flip it around. I think its more of the fact that these low seeded teams use playing us as a measuring stick. We're a damn good team, and beating us means a lot more than beating middle ground and lower teams. Everyone comes to play against us. Bad teams just make it look a lot worse than when we lose against them.

I don't know, thats my opinion, whatever thats worth.

No Chance of Fluerys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 11:31 AM
Le Magnifique 66
Let's Go Pens

I think most teams do

Buffalo just beat the Habs twice in 1 week

They also beat the Bruins 2 or 3 times this year

Le Magnifique 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 11:41 AM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

There's an element of that as well (bad teams playing a higher level game). So like I said when mixed with our team's sometimes soff approach to lesser opponents, and those opponents gearing up for us... not surprising we lose a fair number of those games. See also: Islanders, end of last season.

Darth Vitale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 12:00 PM
UnderratedBrooks44

Uh which bad teams? The Isles? Basically the Isles and Leafs give us problems because they can skate. We've also ironed out those issues lately. We seemingly almost never lose to Buffalo or Winnipeg so i have no clue why thise are listed, the Panthers yeah okay but that was mostly with a prime Vokoun, and the rest aren't bad teams except for the Canes.

UnderratedBrooks44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 12:41 PM
Jaded-Fan

I think that you read too much into this.

And I would note that I am not even sure if how the Pens played before this past month is even relevant. There is a clear line between the team earlier this year and this team. And I am not even including the additions, all of which look like they can adress major issues this team had.

Even when they won earlier this year, to me it was a loss, because of HOW they played. Winning 5-4 games is not the type of hockey that let's you get far in the playoffs. Yesterday for the first time in a month of games, the Pens got away from that game to a degree. It was not that they lost, but that they lost discipline and focus. It was a smaller mirror of the Philly series all over again. The calls going against you or someone bumped you after the play and gave you a boo boo? Take a stupid penalty in response and make it worse. But time will tell if that is a one off. Even that game was not as bad as they had been earlier in the year. I will be watching closely to see what team comes out, win or lose, tonight.

Jaded-Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 10:37 PM
Ray Shero*
A wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chancellor Vitale View Post
Numbers speak for themselves. It's actually not that uncommon in sports. Very good teams often sit back sometimes against weaker teams, dialing the urgency throttle back too far and then after they get behind they press / can't catch up.
This.

Ray Shero* is offline   Reply With Quote