HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

What 8 teams would you not accept a trade to?

Old
04-03-2013, 02:41 AM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by J StClair28 View Post
So I spent 10 minutes writing out this response only to find the thread on the main board locked when I was done, but since I like these kind of threads I decided to share here. I don't mean to troll or offend anyone with some of my reasons, so if I do, I'm sorry.

Phoenix: At the risk of this coming off as trolling, I'd rather play in front of fans. Plus I would hate living in Phoenix.
Dallas: I wouldn't like living in Dallas either.
Florida: I just don't see anything there for me. Team is bad, not many fans either.
Calgary: No words needed. On top of that, I'd have to live in Calgary.
Edmonton: Kinda like Calgary, only they actually have a decently promising future.
Washington: Although it'd be cool to live in the capital of the U.S., that teams direction seems uncertain, although they seem to be getting back on track slightly, who knows how long it'll last with McPhee at the helm.
Detroit: I don't want to play on a team whose ship is sinking, while the fans still have sky high expectations.

I could only think of seven that I wouldn't want to be traded to.

Just because I had so much fun doing that, I'm gonna give my GM a list of five teams I'd prefer to go to if he could work out a good deal for me, because I don't want to screw over the franchise that's been loyal to me for my entire career:

Vancouver: As much as I hate the team, I hear the city is second to none. I'd love to go there, and I feel like with a pro athlete's salary I could even afford to live there.
Boston: I'd love to live on the East coast as well, and I'd prefer Boston over New York or New Jersey.
Nashville: I've been to Nashville before, and even though it doesn't appeal to everyone, it appeals to me. I'd love to live there, and it's a small market, so I wouldn't get much media attention, which would be ideal for a family.
Toronto: On the other hand, I'm a cocky ***** sometimes, and if I'm a good player, having the spotlight in Toronto would be fun. Not to mention I hear Toronto is a nice city, and their fans would argue vehemently that I'm one of the best players in the league no matter how good I actually am. Talk about stroking a man's ego.
Minnesota: My favorite team. The stadium is first class, and the fans are amazing. You have the benefits of both a Canadian market and an American market. Not to mention the team is (hopefully) heading in the right direction.
The mod who closed the thread on the main board gave me plausible justification via PM as to why he shut it down, which I appreciated. Potential for serious flaming; I agree in hindsight. Just an FYI!

jBuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 02:44 AM
AKL
#AnyoneButThem

Quote:
Originally Posted by jBuds View Post
The mod who closed the thread on the main board gave me plausible justification via PM as to why he shut it down, which I appreciated. Potential for serious flaming; I agree in hindsight. Just an FYI!
I actually also got a good response from him via PM, and I agree. He was actually the one who recommended I posted it here. I tried not to include anything in my reasoning that could be construed as flaming or trolling.

AKL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 05:45 AM
krt88

Send a message via AIM to krt88
My question becomes based on what criteria? Not wanting to live there or hockey. I DO NOT want to live in Edmonton, Minnesota and Winnipeg (I've been there, there's nothing around the city) becuase it freaking COLD in the winter. However, hockeywise, maybe a different story.

1. Winnipeg
2. Carolina (hey and I live down here)
3. Nashville
4. Phoenix
5. Florida
6. Washington
7. NY Islanders
8. NY Rangers (taxes and expensive of living in NYC)

krt88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 07:31 AM
Woodhouse
Global Moderator

vCash: 666
Eh, without putting much thought into it, mine would be something like:

CAR = Location
CGY = Rebuild
COL = Management
EDM = Rebuild + Location
MIN = Location
PHX = Ownership + Relocation
WPG = Location
WSH = Location

Woodhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 07:49 AM
oldgoalie
In rebuild hell

Montreal, NY, Toronto... the media coverage on the teams in these cities is merciless. Talk about crawling up your butt with a microscope...

oldgoalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 07:58 AM
HiddenInLight

My list would go as follows:

1) Dallas - They just started selling off assets when they were in the playoffs still, including their captain. Doesn't tell me they are looking to win any time soon.
2) Columbus - They have been so bad or so long, and still don't really look like a bright future is near.
3) Calgary - Just starting to FINALLY rebuild.
4) Florida - Cant seem to get it together
5) Tampa - Probably going to be rebuilding soon, hasn't been consistantly good.
6) Philly - Seems to be crashing after they hit a high last year.
7) Detroit - They are very old, and will be starting to rebuild soon.
8) Toronto - Never seem to be really in contention. IMO they are the Buffalo Bills of the NHL.

HiddenInLight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 08:05 AM
Sabresfansince1980

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerz View Post
I'm kind of surprised by Dallas being on everyones list.
Not on my list. Even though I HATE the Cowboys and Stars, the economy is in good shape, the state has lots to offer outside of sports, and the Texas barbecue at The Hard Eight (5 mins outside Dallas/Fort Worth airport) is good enough to make even a calloused and grizzled person like myself come to tears.

When I'm not knashing on the entrails of my slain enemies, I primarily snack on large portions of dead cow or hog meat. My trevails have proven authentic Texas style barbecue to be the most pleasing to my carnivorous ways.

Sabresfansince1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 08:39 AM
oldgoalie
In rebuild hell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabresfansince1980 View Post
Not on my list. Even though I HATE the Cowboys and Stars, the economy is in good shape, the state has lots to offer outside of sports, and the Texas barbecue at The Hard Eight (5 mins outside Dallas/Fort Worth airport) is good enough to make even a calloused and grizzled person like myself come to tears.

When I'm not knashing on the entrails of my slain enemies, I primarily snack on large portions of dead cow or hog meat. My trevails have proven authentic Texas style barbecue to be the most pleasing to my carnivorous ways.
I live there for 3 years. Economy is great, tons of house for the money, lots of things to do all around the area...

and Texas has some beautiful women...

oldgoalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 08:41 AM
HiddenInLight

Quote:

I think it is less to do with the city, and more to do with the team's recent actions.

HiddenInLight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 08:42 AM
Sabresfansince1980

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgoalie View Post
I live there for 3 years. Economy is great, tons of house for the money, lots of things to do all around the area...

and Texas has some beautiful women...
Yes, from what I saw I'd have to put the women folk right up next to Florida.

Old
04-03-2013, 08:50 AM
Zip15

vCash: 50
Edmonton
Calgary
Winnipeg
Ottawa

...not interested in those particular Canadian cities.

Minnesota. Meh. Middling franchise (but great fans), cold city. Went there once and found it unremarkable.

Buffalo. Hey, if we're speaking the truth here.

New Jersey. Wouldn't like playing in front of a half-full house each night. If I'm going to metropolitan New York, I'd prefer Rangers or (soon-to-be) Brooklyn.

Florida. I love South Florida, but that's not a good organization. Plenty of other nice warm-weather destinations still on the table.

Zip15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 08:52 AM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
Edmonton
Calgary
Winnipeg
Ottawa

...not interested in those particular Canadian cities.

Minnesota. Meh. Middling franchise (but great fans), cold city. Went there once and found it unremarkable.

Buffalo. Hey, if we're speaking the truth here.

New Jersey. Wouldn't like playing in front of a half-full house each night. If I'm going to metropolitan New York, I'd prefer Rangers or (soon-to-be) Brooklyn.

Florida. I love South Florida, but that's not a good organization. Plenty of other nice warm-weather destinations still on the table.
They've sold out every game but one or two this year, fwiw

Old
04-03-2013, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Might have sold out but the arena still has a decent amount of empty seats.

1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 08:56 AM
Duddy
Everyday is

First I'd have the teams in the same division on the list, because if you keep playing against those teams stuff happends. Cheapshots, injuries etc...

Ottawa
Toronto
Boston
Montreal

Next teams I never liked as a "fan".

Pittsburgh
Philly

2 bonus teams

Blue Jackets
Florida

that'd be my teams

Duddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 08:57 AM
Zip15

vCash: 50
Quote:
Sounds a lot like the Mets' "sellout" on Opening Day.

Zip15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 09:01 AM

Why do so many have Ottawa on their list? It would be one of the better places to live and play imo.

1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 09:05 AM
BUCKSHOT
w00t !!

Send a message via Yahoo to BUCKSHOT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcy Regier View Post
Why do so many have Ottawa on their list? It would be one of the better places to live and play imo.
did you miss/forget the 'brawl' ?

BUCKSHOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 09:06 AM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcy Regier View Post
Might have sold out but the arena still has a decent amount of empty seats.
What are you basing this on? Building has been packed and loud. Been several times already this year. Not a joke. And not like years prior

Old
04-03-2013, 09:30 AM
MayDay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerz View Post
Live in a place with higher taxes!?!?

I think you'd be the first... I think you've been in New York too long..
Southern states may have lower taxes, but there's more to quality of life than tax level.

I could never live in the south. The conservative politics, the gun culture, the overt religiosity, the lingering structural racism, the generally poor state of public education - all things that disagree with me and would negatively impact my quality of life.

However, others may find southern culture attractive, or find that nice weather and low taxes out-weigh all those other things. Too each their own.

MayDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 09:38 AM
cybresabre
Sir Hellcat

Send a message via ICQ to cybresabre
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfb392 View Post
1.) Phoenix - "I'd rather be dead in California than alive in Arizona".
+1

cybresabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 09:39 AM
Sabresfansince1980

Quote:
Originally Posted by MayDay View Post
Southern states may have lower taxes, but there's more to quality of life than tax level.

I could never live in the south. The conservative politics, the gun culture, the overt religiosity, the lingering structural racism, the generally poor state of public education - all things that disagree with me and would negatively impact my quality of life.

However, others may find southern culture attractive, or find that nice weather and low taxes out-weigh all those other things. Too each their own.
I can assist you with your misperceptions. As a Yankee transplant, I have found that politics, religion, and racism depend on big city vs. small town. In big cities the politics lean the other way, religion takes a back seat, and reverse racism rules. Public education is a mess in either place, but private or charter schools are great.

Old
04-03-2013, 09:49 AM
MayDay

Quote:
I can assist you with your misperceptions. As a Yankee transplant, I have found that politics, religion, and racism depend on big city vs. small town. In big cities the politics lean the other way, religion takes a back seat, and reverse racism rules. Public education is a mess in either place, but private or charter schools are great.
I was only speaking for myself. I don't really want to get into a political discussion.

Suffice it to say that taxes are only factor to consider that affect quality of life. Plenty of people live in high-tax states and enjoy an excellent quality of life. Plenty of people live in low-tax states and have a very poor quality of life. It's just one consideration among many.

Old
04-03-2013, 09:54 AM
MayDay

I would also point out that, for a professional hockey player, their taxes aren't determined only by where they live.

Hockey players play half their games on the road, usually in other states.

Even if they live in a state with no state income tax, they would owe income tax to a number of other states based on the proportion of their income earned in those states.

Old
04-03-2013, 09:59 AM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

If it's for today, here is my list:

- NY Islanders
- NY Rangers
- NJ Devils
- Washington Capitals
- St Louis Blues
- Nashville Predators
- Edmonton Oilers
- Columbus Bluejackets

I would try and stay away from the bubble teams and force a deal to a team that is more firmly entrenched into a playoff spot.

WhoIsJimBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 10:09 AM
Sabresfansince1980

Quote:
Originally Posted by MayDay View Post
I was only speaking for myself. I don't really want to get into a political discussion.

Suffice it to say that taxes are only factor to consider that affect quality of life. Plenty of people live in high-tax states and enjoy an excellent quality of life. Plenty of people live in low-tax states and have a very poor quality of life. It's just one consideration among many.
Try Austin, TX.