HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

[DAL/BOS] Jaromir Jagr to Boston for Lane MacDermid, Cody Payne, conditional 2nd

Old
04-03-2013, 12:28 AM
Chiquito

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by glovesave_35 View Post
As a Stars fan I'm less than pleased with the prospects in the deal. They couldn't appear more generic if they tried. Guess I'm a Boston fan now hoping they fulfill the conditions on the draft pick.
The stars are getting at least a second and maybe a first for a 41 year old free agent that played a handful of games in your organization. To me that is pretty good.

Chiquito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 12:36 AM
Random Bruins Fan
Certified Poster

Happy with this deal as a B's fan to land Jagr.

As for the prosepcts I don't think MacDermid will be a full time NHLer, not quite good enoguh for even regular 4th line and not big enough to go with the real heavies. Payne could turn into a player as a lower line type but that is probably no better than 50-50. The pick obviously could turn into something for the Stars especially if it's a late 1st but it will then be for a good cause.

Random Bruins Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 12:45 AM
8spokesontheB
Cry Havoc!

Quote:
As a Stars fan I'm less than pleased with the prospects in the deal. They couldn't appear more generic if they tried. Guess I'm a Boston fan now hoping they fulfill the conditions on the draft pick.
Welcome home, brother.

8spokesontheB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 01:14 AM
Tender Rip
No cap on coaching!

Good deal for Boston.

Tender Rip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 01:16 AM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

vCash: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncleben85 View Post
Ohh, jeeze.

I've been trying to figure this out myself; they hit a 3 game win streak and BOOM they're pretty much in, why give up?
But the organization has decided to bite the bullet, not put the stress on their team and look to the future.
We've been a 3 game winning streak away from the playoffs for 5 years now.

Eventually you just have to say **** it.

LatvianTwist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 01:50 AM
Rivet52
Sabres & Blackhawks

Send a message via AIM to Rivet52
I don't like saying this but it's a good trade for both teams and a great one for Boston.

Jagr is still totally capable of playing at a pretty high level. He led the Stars in points IIRC. I can see this working out like Recchi did but even better. Jagr is better than Recchi was at that point and it's a similar trade. Bruins got better offensively and Jagr should help them a ton. Pandolfo can finally sit. It'll be interesting to see where he's placed in the lineup and who moves where, with the Krejci and Bergeron lines already having obvious chemistry. Hard to imagine Jagr not in the top-six but the Bruins have a good top-six already.

Doubt MacDermid amounts to much, if not just a career AHL'er. He's pretty much a fourth liner or thirteenth forward. A bit of a goon type and some physical play and size but nothing more. I'm not familiar with Payne but as some are saying, there's a good chance he won't amount to anything in the NHL. Still though, the pick makes it a pretty nice return for Jagr. Stars fans are cheering for Boston to go to the ECF.

Good trade for both teams though. Dallas got a good return for a player they apparently couldn't re-sign and Boston got a really good player to go for the Cup with.

Rivet52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 02:09 AM
glovesave_35
Name

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWTBoonies View Post
The stars are getting at least a second and maybe a first for a 41 year old free agent that played a handful of games in your organization. To me that is pretty good.
I'm not getting bent out of shape because my player didn't get me a former top 5 pick. I'm a little confused how Boston can make an offer for Brenden Morrow that included a legitimate offensively talented prospect. Morrow is a shadow of his former self while Jagr has played well this year and put up pretty good numbers to boot. Given that Jagr is a player brought in for the "right now" in Boston, and that he's healthy, I don't understand how his age is relevant. He's reportedly in better shape than most players half his age. Jagr should return at least what was offered for Morrow.

glovesave_35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 04:55 AM
IrishPaulie
Sooshii is AWESOME!!

Send a message via AIM to IrishPaulie
Quote:
I'm not getting bent out of shape because my player didn't get me a former top 5 pick. I'm a little confused how Boston can make an offer for Brenden Morrow that included a legitimate offensively talented prospect. Morrow is a shadow of his former self while Jagr has played well this year and put up pretty good numbers to boot. Given that Jagr is a player brought in for the "right now" in Boston, and that he's healthy, I don't understand how his age is relevant. He's reportedly in better shape than most players half his age. Jagr should return at least what was offered for Morrow.
I'm willing to bet more teams were in on Morrow and Boston again was either going to land him or drive the price up on him. I think most would agree what Pittsburgh paid for him was a vast overpayment but one they could afford to make with the glutton of quality D prospects they have.

The Jagr deal is a typical rental deal and I'm willing to bet JN was loyal to Jags for his limited time served as a Star and for his overall career. The guy deserved a legit shot and was traded to a contender. The 2nd/1st is the meat and potatoes of the deal. MacDermid is a decent throw in. He has leadership qualities and is a bottom six warrior who will throw down with nearly anyone. Haven't seen much of Payne's development, tough to tell whether he is progressing better than expected for a 5th rnd pick or just a product of a strong Plymouth team this year. Either way it's a decent return, certainly not what a lot of Dallas fans were hoping for but if the 2nd turns into a first it will be worth it.

IrishPaulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 06:48 AM
4ORRBRUIN

Quote:
I would say mainly that most of the stuff that has filtered out in the form of players going here and there is mostly always incorrect.

Morrow has zero left in the tank, thank god the B's let him go to the pens. That will be the worst trade made when it all said and done. Pens where bent over on that one.

4ORRBRUIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 06:55 AM
RedBruin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivet52 View Post

Doubt MacDermid amounts to much, if not just a career AHL'er. He's pretty much a fourth liner or thirteenth forward. .
Yeah, however IMO he's NHL ready. Bruins 4th line has been pretty good the last two years though, no way for him to get through.

RedBruin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 07:05 AM
Chiquito

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baerstcheese View Post
Came home expecting 1 or 2 deals, instead, the trade deadline just happened...
Quote:
You can argue that Dallas got more from Jagr than Pittsburgh did when he was traded in his prime, or Washington did when they traded him a few years later. Both clubs just wanted to rid themselves of his presence on the team. Jagr is a great player and one of my all time favorites but he is like empty calories. Somehow you are left wanting more from him.

Old
04-03-2013, 08:00 AM
Corto
Faceless Man

Quote:
You can argue that Dallas got more from Jagr than Pittsburgh did when he was traded in his prime, or Washington did when they traded him a few years later. Both clubs just wanted to rid themselves of his presence on the team. Jagr is a great player and one of my all time favorites but he is like empty calories. Somehow you are left wanting more from him.
That's pretty much utter bull.

Pens didn't want to get rid of Jagr, that's just wrong.

Yeah, his tenure in Washington is tarnished and marred by bad attitude, but everywhere else he was (by all accounts) well liked in the lockerroom and a leader and a captain of two very successful teams- and then later a mentor.
Even his last moody year in Pittsburgh was far from what you're describing there.

Pittsburgh, NYR, Philly, Dallas... He was the best player, his Pens and NYR teams overachieved because of him and by all account the guy is a fantastic influence on youngsters.

I can't believe people are still blindly repeating the "Jagr is a selfish Euro" mantra from 10 years ago.

Corto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 08:04 AM
nTsplnk*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corto View Post
That's pretty much utter bull.
It really isn't. He hasn't won a cup since 1992. Never won it as the guy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corto View Post
Pens didn't want to get rid of Jagr, that's just wrong.

Yeah, his tenure in Washington is tarnished and marred by bad attitude, but everywhere else he was (by all accounts) well liked in the lockerroom and a leader and a captain of two very successful teams- and then later a mentor.
Even his last moody year in Pittsburgh was far from what you're describing there.

Pittsburgh, NYR, Philly, Dallas... He was the best player, his Pens and NYR teams overachieved because of him and by all account the guy is a fantastic influence on youngsters.

I can't believe people are still blindly repeating the "Jagr is a selfish Euro" mantra from 10 years ago.
He isn't selfish. He just isn't a winner anymore.

nTsplnk* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 08:10 AM
vjcsmoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugene Malkin View Post
Reality is Jagr is 41 with a groin problem that goes back to the mid 90's and that flared up in last years playoffs after or during beating the Pens.

I don't see a Claude Giroux or a Malkin or Crosby.

Tell me you have magic beans?
Did Magic Beans do in the Penguins in last year's playoffs or was it Jagr and the Flyers?

Jagr has been a Penguin killer. Which makes him a nice handy little anti-Pittsburgh weapon to pull out for the the 2013 playoffs.

vjcsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 09:16 AM
WreckItRask

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderratedBrooks44 View Post
Jagr's got 14 goals on a blah team. On Boston he will be surrounded by players that can all play the game and play it pretty well in all areas. He will absolutely help them.

You don't think the Bruins are that good? Well their record says otherwise, and other than the Penguins (who are loaded) and Montreal who else in the East is even close to a contender?

I think you saw the B's twice when they started sliding into a slump and are going too much off of that. They put up 50 shots on Ottawa last night. I'd say they're a good team in good form.
Just to add. Every team has injuries so it's not an excuse, but I think it's worth mentioning that the playoff version of the Bruins most likely has a healthy Chris Kelly and Adam McQuaid. Not to mention that they were recently playing some uninspiring hockey with guys like Krejci and Boychuk missing time. Adding Jagr to a healthy lineup, and hopefully bringing over Carl Soderberg if the rumors are true, gives the Bruins 4 legit lines. I think they add someone on D as well.

The reality is this...Boston has really not played consistently well since about January, and they're still top 5 in the NHL for points. I don't think they're a prohibitive favorite with or without Jagr, but I can't think of any teams that are hoping to draw them come playoff time. You're talking about a forward lineup that has 10 guys that have scored 20+ goals at the NHL level. I think Pitt has at least 8 guys in that class. Scoring depth is so vital come playoff time...we saw it with the Boston two years ago, we saw it with LA last year, etc. That's why Vancouver, LA, STL, MIN are all scary draws to me in the West...they have scoring depth. They have guys in their bottom 6 that have proven to be quality NHL scorers.

WreckItRask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 09:32 AM
The Dangley One
Dangle dangle goal

Haven't seen much of him this season but can anyone speculate on his ability to work the half wall on the PP. Bruins havent had the same PP since Savard went down. Is it realistic to expect him as a lefty to be able work the half wall as good as savard did

The Dangley One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 09:46 AM
tony d
Thanks for memories

Jagr is a good enough player but you have to think the Bruins make another move today to get another decent forward.

04-03-2013, 09:47 AM
PsychoDad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler Sanguine View Post
Just to add. Every team has injuries so it's not an excuse, but I think it's worth mentioning that the playoff version of the Bruins most likely has a healthy Chris Kelly and Adam McQuaid. Not to mention that they were recently playing some uninspiring hockey with guys like Krejci and Boychuk missing time. Adding Jagr to a healthy lineup, and hopefully bringing over Carl Soderberg if the rumors are true, gives the Bruins 4 legit lines. I think they add someone on D as well.

The reality is this...Boston has really not played consistently well since about January, and they're still top 5 in the NHL for points. I don't think they're a prohibitive favorite with or without Jagr, but I can't think of any teams that are hoping to draw them come playoff time. You're talking about a forward lineup that has 10 guys that have scored 20+ goals at the NHL level. I think Pitt has at least 8 guys in that class. Scoring depth is so vital come playoff time...we saw it with the Boston two years ago, we saw it with LA last year, etc. That's why Vancouver, LA, STL, MIN are all scary draws to me in the West...they have scoring depth. They have guys in their bottom 6 that have proven to be quality NHL scorers.

The season STARTED second half of January

PsychoDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 09:58 AM
SEALBound

Guess only time will tell....

I don't think this is a magical addition that guarantees a win over the Pens...but it will help even the odds.

SEALBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 10:01 AM
WreckItRask

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsychoDad View Post

The season STARTED second half of January
Hah...change that to February. My point is that after a red hot start of not just wins, but real solid and dominating hockey, the Bruins have been stringing together wins/points playing a far less inspiring brand of hockey in March. Good teams still find ways to win, and Boston has done that despite not having it every night.

WreckItRask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 10:36 AM
Chiquito

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEALBound View Post
Guess only time will tell....

I don't think this is a magical addition that guarantees a win over the Pens...but it will help even the odds.
Quote:
Originally Posted by helgo View Post
189 points in 180 Play-Off games ... i mean seriously, why would anybody even want him?
Jagr's team always disappointed their fans when he was the guy. His play has been okay. He has no been to the Stanley cup since he was on Lemieux's team of 1991-92. He was 20.

He is what he is. An aging gun for hire. He will help on the power play and maybe he can still surprise someone now and again 5 on 5. Other than that he will be an offensive depth player.

Iginla for Pittsburgh role is also a depth player. He will be able to provide offensive help, but also a physical presence 5 on 5. In my opinion he is a much more valuable rental because he can do what Jagr does but also so much more.

Old
04-03-2013, 10:44 AM
The Dangley One
Dangle dangle goal

Quote:
Jagr's team always disappointed their fans when he was the guy. His play has been okay. He has no been to the Stanley cup since he was on Lemieux's team of 1991-92. He was 20.

He is what he is. An aging gun for hire. He will help on the power play and maybe he can still surprise someone now and again 5 on 5. Other than that he will be an offensive depth player.

Iginla for Pittsburgh role is also a depth player. He will be able to provide offensive help, but also a physical presence 5 on 5. In my opinion he is a much more valuable rental because he can do what Jagr does but also so much more.
Iginla never has and never will be able to do what Jagr does on the offensive end of the ice.

The Dangley One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 10:51 AM
TSC*
KPD IS ADB

Jarg has been over a PPG player in the playoffs his entire career. He's a great depth pickup for the Bruins, and will definitely help them in the playoff run.

TSC* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 11:06 AM
Beauner
Bye Bye Bylsma

Yeah people bringing up career stats and whatnot need to stop. This isn't the 2000, hart and Pearson winning Jagr. He'll provide a little offense and powerplay help but he isn't the dominant force he once was.

Beauner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 11:14 AM
Beauner
Bye Bye Bylsma

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSC View Post
He has more points this year than Iginla. He's tied for 20th in the league in goals scored (with less games played than almost everyone ahead of him). He's certainly not washed up.
Not at all, I just think we should temper expectations a little. He's not going to light the world on fire.

Beauner is offline   Reply With Quote