Notices

General OT Thread #28: Hoppy's Luck Guides Our Puck

Closed Thread

Old
04-02-2013, 07:08 PM
Dampland
Overly Moderated

vCash: 50
My parents left for Florida for two weeks. They just bought a 60" HD TV last week, and have NHL Network and Center ice and surround sound

I decided to swing by their place tonight to check out the new TV.

I DON"T THINK I WILL EVER GO BACK TO MY HOME, this is awesome!

Old
04-02-2013, 08:18 PM
BigT2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesota View Post
love it

Old
04-02-2013, 08:50 PM
Fel 96
JFC

vCash: 2037
Send a message via MSN to Fel 96

Old
04-02-2013, 08:52 PM
tomgilbertfan
CRAAAWWWFFFOOORD

vCash: 500
Love the dude in the suit.

Old
04-02-2013, 10:10 PM
Avder
Global Moderator
Is it October yet?

It's like Orville Reddenbacher rising from the dead.

What the hell is the story behind that?

Old
04-02-2013, 10:34 PM
Fel 96
JFC

Quote:
"Anyone got change for my twanson" Nate Prosser
http://twitter.com/MattHackett31/sta...91575333179392

Old
04-02-2013, 10:43 PM
Dampland
Overly Moderated

Quote:
Originally Posted by fel 96 View Post
wtf?

Old
04-02-2013, 11:18 PM
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner

I spent like an hour reviewing one of my games from this year... I was surprised at how well I played. A few mistakes though. I'm harder on myself then I thought.

Old
04-02-2013, 11:21 PM
Fel 96
JFC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dampland View Post
wtf?
Prosser doesn't want to pay something?

Old
04-02-2013, 11:24 PM
Dampland
Overly Moderated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fel 96 View Post
Prosser doesn't want to pay something?
What's a "Twanson" ?

Old
04-02-2013, 11:30 PM
tomgilbertfan
CRAAAWWWFFFOOORD

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=twanson

Old
04-03-2013, 02:48 AM
INTOTHEVOID
Go right.

So my girlfriend go accepted into Jet Program, to go to Japan for 1 year and be an assistant teacher.

Anyone ever been in a long distance relationship? This whole thing has me really nervous, I love her a lot and want to continue to be with her, but I've never been in this sort of situation before.

Also I've read apparently you can visit Japan for 3 months at a time if you have no official business being there.. so I could do that also which would help.. but still I'd be away for her for a pretty significant period of time, any advice?

Old
04-03-2013, 03:52 AM
Fallenity

vCash: 950
Quote:
Originally Posted by INTOTHEVOID View Post
So my girlfriend go accepted into Jet Program, to go to Japan for 1 year and be an assistant teacher.

Anyone ever been in a long distance relationship? This whole thing has me really nervous, I love her a lot and want to continue to be with her, but I've never been in this sort of situation before.

Also I've read apparently you can visit Japan for 3 months at a time if you have no official business being there.. so I could do that also which would help.. but still I'd be away for her for a pretty significant period of time, any advice?
Don't know about Japan, but I spent a couple of years on a long distance relationship with a Canadian girl (I'm from Finland) and last year was an exchange student in Shanghai while my girlfriend went to study in Scotland.

Talk a lot. Make an effort to stay connected to the person, even if time zones can make that difficult. I guess it depends, but I've always liked to talk at least a little bit every day, whether it's via text or phone. Just everyday things, what's going on in your lives etc.

Send packages. For christmas, birthdays, anniversaries etc. If you're staying at "home" and she's going off to the other side of the world, send her packages every now and then with stuff she likes, local candy, books, gifts, local newspapers, whatever she likes. Me and my gf's used to do it a lot without telling the other, then the package would come as a surprise. It of course helps if you can visit her or she can visit you, but the costs of that are usually rather high.

Find something common you two can still do. If you're both Wild fans, watch a game together while talking on Skype. Or both start watching the same movie at the same time while talking. Or if you're into gaming, find some game you two can play online. Just have something you can turn into a date.

Long distance relationships are tough for many reasons. Probably the biggest danger in my opinion is paranoia. You don't know what she's doing there, she doesn't know what you're doing at home. Especially if you drop out of contact for a long while without any excuse, it's easy for the other person to start fearing the worst. So be understanding towards each other, don't think it's just tough on you, it's tough on her also. If you both want it to work, it'll work!

Anyways, in other stuff, someone mentioned thinking about studying HRM? That's my major, I'm currently writing my Master's Thesis on it. It's an interesting area / topic, depending on if you want to emphasize the Human or Resource in the name. Working in an HR department can be rather annoying, there's not much respect for people there and HR concerns usually get pushed aside by accounting or engineering. When choosing to invest on either a training program for employees (that might increase productivity) or new machines (that will increase productivity), most companies choose the later. So sometimes it's hard to get your voice heard in HR.

But if you're studying HRM to become a manager or a leader and emphasize the Human aspect, that can be very challenging, but also very rewarding. Motivating and organizing individuals is not that easy and to be a good leader requires a certain type of personality and attitude. If you feel you could be that person, then go on ahead and try HRM! I've enjoyed it. But I know a lot of people who took HRM, went to work as managers and didn't like it.

Old
04-03-2013, 04:03 AM
Avder
Global Moderator
Is it October yet?

I cant sleep tonight. Ate something that didnt agree with me last night and I've been dealing with it ever since. Ugh. I have crap to do in the morning and I'm gonna be sleepwalking through tomorrow...assuming I even get to sleep.

Old
04-03-2013, 04:27 AM
INTOTHEVOID
Go right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallenity View Post
Don't know about Japan, but I spent a couple of years on a long distance relationship with a Canadian girl (I'm from Finland) and last year was an exchange student in Shanghai while my girlfriend went to study in Scotland.

Talk a lot. Make an effort to stay connected to the person, even if time zones can make that difficult. I guess it depends, but I've always liked to talk at least a little bit every day, whether it's via text or phone. Just everyday things, what's going on in your lives etc.

Send packages. For christmas, birthdays, anniversaries etc. If you're staying at "home" and she's going off to the other side of the world, send her packages every now and then with stuff she likes, local candy, books, gifts, local newspapers, whatever she likes. Me and my gf's used to do it a lot without telling the other, then the package would come as a surprise. It of course helps if you can visit her or she can visit you, but the costs of that are usually rather high.

Find something common you two can still do. If you're both Wild fans, watch a game together while talking on Skype. Or both start watching the same movie at the same time while talking. Or if you're into gaming, find some game you two can play online. Just have something you can turn into a date.

Long distance relationships are tough for many reasons. Probably the biggest danger in my opinion is paranoia. You don't know what she's doing there, she doesn't know what you're doing at home. Especially if you drop out of contact for a long while without any excuse, it's easy for the other person to start fearing the worst. So be understanding towards each other, don't think it's just tough on you, it's tough on her also. If you both want it to work, it'll work!

Anyways, in other stuff, someone mentioned thinking about studying HRM? That's my major, I'm currently writing my Master's Thesis on it. It's an interesting area / topic, depending on if you want to emphasize the Human or Resource in the name. Working in an HR department can be rather annoying, there's not much respect for people there and HR concerns usually get pushed aside by accounting or engineering. When choosing to invest on either a training program for employees (that might increase productivity) or new machines (that will increase productivity), most companies choose the later. So sometimes it's hard to get your voice heard in HR.

But if you're studying HRM to become a manager or a leader and emphasize the Human aspect, that can be very challenging, but also very rewarding. Motivating and organizing individuals is not that easy and to be a good leader requires a certain type of personality and attitude. If you feel you could be that person, then go on ahead and try HRM! I've enjoyed it. But I know a lot of people who took HRM, went to work as managers and didn't like it.
Fortunately the money aspect of it is not a big deal, her father is willing to pay for me to fly out there and fly back. So pretty fortunate in that regard.

(also I've never been out of the country even, I've actually only been to a few states, so this is going to be a crazy culture shock for me I think ;_

But I agree with everything else you said, thanks for your insight. I feel like we both want it to work, and as long as we can stay positive throughout and try to be as normal as possible (without being together in person) I feel like in the long run it will be much better for our relationship if we last through it.

Old
04-03-2013, 06:03 AM
Fallenity

vCash: 950
Quote:
I feel like in the long run it will be much better for our relationship if we last through it.
True that

Old
04-03-2013, 09:12 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Quote:
I'm not going to lie ..... that new Wendy's girl makes me feel funny down below. Can't say what it is, but she gets me going.
Is there a new one?

Old
04-03-2013, 09:15 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Quote:
My parents left for Florida for two weeks. They just bought a 60" HD TV last week, and have NHL Network and Center ice and surround sound

I decided to swing by their place tonight to check out the new TV.

I DON"T THINK I WILL EVER GO BACK TO MY HOME, this is awesome!
Did the same thing when my parents got their first HDTV.

Quote:

I assumed you were a woman because of the avatar...

Never been in a long distance relationship but I did try to date a girl whose boyfriend went to Japan to be a teacher. She wasn't interested. Does that help?

Old
04-03-2013, 09:23 AM
tomgilbertfan
CRAAAWWWFFFOOORD

Quote:

My SO just studied aboard for 6 months. It's rough. I can give my perspective when I'm on my laptop.

Old
04-03-2013, 09:29 AM
BigT2002

Quote:

Girlfriend is in Afghanistan. Dated one from here while I was in Germany. Dated another while I was in Iraq. And another while I was in South America.

Honest truth. You'll get to know the person in a whole different light. There is no physical interaction. Which means you have to rely on communication in order to keep one another close by. Thankfully technology is a lot better than it was when I was deployed and **** like Skype and Facebook Messenger make it almost impossible to not be in touch with the other. G/f currently is working and on Facebook messenger on her phone so we can still talk throughout the day.

Have I been tempted by other women? Of course. When you're in a relationship you do display a whole different level of confidence. Has she with guys. Of course. The difference is not acting on those temptations. I will offer you this one piece of advice over everything else: STAY OFF EACHOTHER'S FACEBOOK PAGE!! Trust me on this. Social media has a way of giving off the perception that something is what it is. I took a family friend to a hockey game this year and the other half was texting me within 30 seconds of it getting posted on Facebook asking who it was and all that crap.

Right now I have sent her two care packages with 100 calorie snacks since nothing is over there but nasty Euro (sorry Euro guys!!) food that make MRE's look like Manny's in comparison. Second one has her memory foam mattress and a Tiffany sterling silver ring. Nothing fancy and not even remotely close to expensive. But the fact she's deployed and getting that stupid box will shut her up and also pretty much get every best friend she has on my side gotta think ahead in these things.

Do's and Don'ts:

- Don't tell her everyday you "L word her" or "miss her" or any of that junk. It will seriously grow stale and the words will lose meaning. Spring it when she's having a bad day.

- Remember that you're in a relationship when you do go out. Talk to other females but don't be stupid about. I have this problem because I am a massive flirt and can accidently lead on because of how I talk. Had a female friend tell me and I've been working on it since.

- Don't change your Facebook (if it isn't already) to a photo of you two. I will tell you right now, if you change it to anything else you're going to send a false flag in her nutty head that you're distancing yourself. I don't care how "cool" she is, she is here right now and can see you...won't be the same when she's in another day than you.

- Remember the timezone difference. Don't text her at 2am Japan time because you're at work and bored. Find a time that works to have a good 30-60 minutes of "alone time" with her.

- Send her pictures. Facebook lets you IM them so they don't post on your wall but you can still share. Better than email 1000000%

- If you have siblings or lil ones (nieces/nephews) have them make a card for her or some crap. Women love this stuff I swear. Mine about cried when she saw the cookies that my niece made her in the care package.

Last edited by BigT2002: 04-03-2013 at 09:37 AM.
Old
04-03-2013, 09:47 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

What kind of software/apps do you guys use to stay organized?

I haven't found a great one yet but have been trying Wunderlist.

Old
04-03-2013, 09:59 AM
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner

Boring day... I could do my homework...

I'm not sure I'd be able to hold a long distance relationship.

Old
04-03-2013, 10:09 AM
BigT2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
What kind of software/apps do you guys use to stay organized?

I haven't found a great one yet but have been trying Wunderlist.
CalenMob is awesome for iPhone. Ties both my calendars together perfectly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IHaveNoCreativity View Post
Boring day... I could do my homework...

I'm not sure I'd be able to hold a long distance relationship.
LDRs are hard because we are humans and physical interaction is a huge part of our lives. Whether it be social or not. The problem with them is that all of us have at least one or two girl friends that we are in the "friendzone" on. Soon as you start dating someone, it instantly kicks into "leaving friendzone, enter FWB zone." Most of my relationships went south because of emotional cheating happening first over physical. When you start getting dumped to the side so they go hang out with other people and not be in front of their phone/laptop or they start opening up to another person in general.

Some people simply cannot handle not having their hand held. One while I was in Germany was with the "great white buffalo" of my life who called it off because she wanted to have someone to cuddle with every night and I wasn't coming home for another 2 years and she wasn't willing to wait. That one definitely put a knife in the heart.

Old
04-03-2013, 10:27 AM
tomgilbertfan
CRAAAWWWFFFOOORD

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomgilbertfan View Post
My SO just studied aboard for 6 months. It's rough. I can give my perspective when I'm on my laptop.
Alright Now i can type.

I'm not sure what your situation so my experience may or may not be helpful. When my So went abroad we had already been going to different colleges for 3 years, so we weren't unfamiliar to time apart, but generally it was only a month at a time. Also we're both very secure in our relationship and neither of us are the jealous type. So we probably got a lot of the kinks many people first encounter out of the way during our first years at college, we worked out our communication issues and were a very open and honest relationship.

However 6 months straight was very different in some ways.

I'm not sure if either of you have been to Japan, but if not she's going to have a TON of new experiences, and not a single one with you. It may sound petty now, but don't get jealous of this. Don't think that she's moving in a different way than you or is somehow going to think less of you because of these experiences.

Also seriously, if you're in a relationship I hope your communication is good enough that you can have a conversation about any drunken(or not) mistakes that may happen while you two are away ahead of time. Don't just assume it's not going to happen, make sure you two are on the same page on this. If something does happen (depending on just how far it went) you have two options: tell immediately or keep it to your grave. Anything in between is just bad news bears.

Be ok with going a few days without talking. I'm not saying only talk every 3rd day, but if she or you needs to do something and can't talk for a few days don't feel slighted. That said do not get lazy in your communication, do give it an honest effort.

Skype.

I'm not in BigT's situation as far as Facebook photos go, neither of us really put any stock into facebook, and we actually don't want to be listed as in a relationship because whose business is that anyway but since it's been up for 4 years it'd be more difficult to explain to everyone that we're not breaking up. But I guess keep that in mind depending on your SO.

Don't say you miss her, if she's saying she misses you or is getting homesick you have to be the one to say that it's only temporary and that she's having a tremendous experience and just support her there and don't make any homesickness worse, even if you miss her a ton. Express that you love her but don't make it worse.

Also when she gets back she may have some reverse-culture-shock. You have to be understanding with her and be her support and constant.

When she gets back you're going to hear the same stories. A lot. She's going to tell every person that asks about her stay there the same stories and you're going to listen to them dozens of times. And you're never going to complain.

Me and my SO had some nights/days where we would watch a movie simultaneously and either skype or FBchat while watching it. Little things like that can make this much smoother.

Pay no attention to her new friends and comments on her facebook.

It's going to be hard if this is your first time apart. Be OK being your own person, be OK with her being her own person. And know that relationships aren't easy, especially if you're far apart, it may be work at times but you can't lose perspective as to what you're working on/towards.

Never ask something like "who's this guy in this picture" or anything like that. Ask general questions about the people she's with and stuff like that but if you ask about a particular guy it'll sound pretty accusatory.

Also know that the week she gets back will be one of the best weeks of your year.

Old
04-03-2013, 11:03 AM
BigT2002

^^^^ Great Advice.

I would also support the point that you need to be encouraging for her to get out there and do things in the country and with new people. And she needs to be equally as supportive for you.

This is an amazing time for you to really experience some things for yourself as well as her. Pick up a new hobby. Go to the gym for a couple hours more a week. Sign up for a 6K or something. The more you do to keep your mind going, the better off you're going to be.

Don't come off suffocating either. When you start throwing a fit about something, you are going to only put distance between eachother emotionally and you're already apart physically.

--last but not least, this is only a short term departure. I know people I work with that are apart from their spouse for 9 months out of the year, and some who've been gone for 2+ years doing other things. They are still committed. This is an amazing chance for you both to really see if you two are committed to one another as well.

And TGF, we both have our relationship status on lockdown so no one can see it. 99% of my stuff on my FB is blocked out or some BS thing b/c it isn't a big deal or people don't need to know. The only reason I still have the damn thing is I have friends all over the world and it makes communicating so much easier than trying to do the lame 90's route of emailing folks.

Closed Thread