HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Will Jagr's legacy be hurt after he's retired?

Old
04-03-2013, 10:18 AM
Corto
Faceless Man

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vadim sharifijanov View Post

now that's an interesting what if. i think jagr is a superstar easily no matter what happens, but i also suspect he doesn't develop into the near-generational offensive force that he was without learning from and watching mario in those early years. and don't forget that bryan trottier took jagr under his wing that first year too (at the time, trots was sixth all-time in scoring which we kind of forget sometimes). smart agent?
Why near-generational?

Generational is god's honest truth, nothing debatable about it.
The guy was head and shoulders above other players for years, and only behind Mario and Wayne in the last 30-35.

Corto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 10:32 AM
livewell68

Quote:
off topic, but just heard this on the trade deadline coverage on sportsnet (panel with pat quinn, mike keenan, neil smith, and brian lawton)--

quinn says he was going to take jagr in the 1990 draft but jagr's agent lied and said he wasn't going to come over, so he takes nedved instead. that agent, quinn suggests, "directed a few guys to pittsburgh," whatever that actually means.

now that's an interesting what if. i think jagr is a superstar easily no matter what happens, but i also suspect he doesn't develop into the near-generational offensive force that he was without learning from and watching mario in those early years. and don't forget that bryan trottier took jagr under his wing that first year too (at the time, trots was sixth all-time in scoring which we kind of forget sometimes). smart agent?
He is not near, he is and was a generational talent.

livewell68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 10:32 AM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13

vCash: 1495
Don't see why it would.

He was the best player for our team, that didn't play goaltender, all season. Just a matter of a rebuild here, simple as that.

Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs - 1997 to 2011 - WPHL Champions 1998, 1999, 2000 - CHL Champions 2011
Stars99Lobo37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 11:09 AM
vadim sharifijanov

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corto View Post
Why near-generational?

Generational is god's honest truth, nothing debatable about it.
The guy was head and shoulders above other players for years, and only behind Mario and Wayne in the last 30-35.
Quote:
Originally Posted by livewell68 View Post
He is not near, he is and was a generational talent.
yeesh, "sub-wayne/bobby/gordie/mario." happy?

vadim sharifijanov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 12:23 PM
livewell68

Quote:
yeesh, "sub-wayne/bobby/gordie/mario." happy?
He's not sub Bobby Hull. Being sub the Big 4 is fine though.

Old
04-03-2013, 01:03 PM
Hawkman
Feels like rain

I don't think late career moves will hurt Jagr or Selanne after they retire. I do think their ability to play at a high level late in their career (although important) MAY have slightly over inflated their all time rankings. In the last All Time Draft Jagr went before Howie Morenz and Selanne went before Cy Denneny. Jagr and Sealanne are all time great offensive players, but are they really better all around players and more important to their eras than Morenz and Denneny? I don't know.

Hawkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 01:21 PM
livewell68

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmm View Post
I don't think late career moves will hurt Jagr or Selanne after they retire. I do think their ability to play at a high level late in their career (although important) MAY have slightly over inflated their all time rankings. In the last All Time Draft Jagr went before Howie Morenz and Selanne went before Cy Denneny. Jagr and Sealanne are all time great offensive players, but are they really better all around players and more important to their eras than Morenz and Denneny? I don't know.
Selanne isn't but Jagr sure is.

Many would have Jagr in their top 10 all-time.

The fact that he has 2 Cups, numerous International awards, 5 Art Ross trophies, 6 Hart (top 3) finishes, 1 Hart, 3 Pearsons and knocking on 700 goals and 1700 Pts says he at least is close to the top 10 all-time if not already there.

Old
04-03-2013, 07:15 PM
Hardyvan123
tweet@HardyintheWack

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
I honestly think that the more time passes since his disaster in Washington, that the more people will look back on Jagr's career favorably. They'll see that he had some down years in Washington, but his stats were still pretty good, and they'll forget just what a cancer he was to that team.

I also think that 5 Art Ross trophies look better and better in retrospect, as we see how tough it is now to repeat even once.
I tend to agree with this.

A player changing teams to win, via trade free agency or anything else shouldn't hurt their legacy.

Hardyvan123 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 10:37 PM
aemoreira1981

His time with the Rangers really vindicated his legacy after that disaster in Washington (he had a 123-point season in New York). Now he's like Ray Whitney---still being good very late in his career. That Jagr has also stayed long enough to finally cross the 1000-assist mark (and become the first non-Canadian to do so) also solidifies his legacy as strong and perhaps the best European to ever play in the NHL.

BTW, I thought that Jagr was done in the NHL at 36 and was surprised when he returned at age 39.

As Gretzky was a generational talent, so was Jaromir Jagr. The question now is: when will Pittsburgh retire #68?

aemoreira1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 11:25 PM
revolverjgw

Jagr has rehabilitated his image through his actions and attitude in Europe and the NHL in recent years, even though he's been skipping around the league while doing it. He's the best kind of merc, a guy you can bring into any situation and he'll contribute on ice and in the room. Total bro nowadays.

revolverjgw is offline   Reply With Quote