HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Luongo Thread: Just The Beginning (mod warning in post #445)

Closed Thread

Old
04-03-2013, 10:40 AM
Newfie John
Hall of Famer

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
We don't need anyone else like that, we already have Higgins, Hansen, Raymond, Booth. WE need someone who will show up on the stat sheet.
Think you have that in Roy, he'll do we'll in Vancouver.

Luongo isn't going to get you a big time point producer... value isn't there.

Old
04-03-2013, 10:42 AM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newfie John View Post

That may be the case - but he won't be dealt straight up for a tweener forward, either.

Old
04-03-2013, 10:42 AM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:

We need more than just Roy doing that.

And if Luongo doesn't get us a big time point producer or a top prospect then we shouldn't move him. Other teams can continue with their goaltending and we will keep Lou.

04-03-2013, 10:43 AM
Catamarca Livin

I would like Luongo to be traded but not for nothing. A winger and a pick would suffice for me. Toronto's tweener winger plus a second and of course a backup is okay, then hopefully get a right d man for our bottom pairing for pick and middle prospect. I like the trading of mindling prospects they seem to have value for some reason now. Though d men other than Ballard seem to be high value. Why is Douglas Murray worth as much as Derek Roy? Regehr is worth more?

Any point producing winger would just be a rental. I have argued against Kesler on the wing, but if we need a point producing winger move Kesler to the wing and trade for Goc.

Last edited by Catamarca Livin: 04-03-2013 at 11:00 AM.
Old
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

Quote:
We don't need anyone else like that, we already have Higgins, Hansen, Raymond, Booth. WE need someone who will show up on the stat sheet.
Never hurts adding another 20 goal scorer. The team would be littered with 20 goal wingers and have excellent skill up the middle.

MacArthur is an upgrade. Not sure if he could be retained though.

Old
TheDiver*

Quote:

And if Luongo doesn't get us a big time point producer or a top prospect then we shouldn't move him. Other teams can continue with their goaltending and we will keep Lou.
Yeah. That will be smart. Cut off your nose to spite your face.

Dedicate a 6th of your cap to a position that has one player on the bench at all times.

If there was no cap, i'd keep both goalies. But with a cap? Get what you can to help you now or in the future.

Old
04-03-2013, 10:45 AM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moses View Post
Yeah. That will be smart. Cut off your nose to spite your face.

Dedicate a 6th of your cap to a position that has one player on the bench at all times.

If there was no cap, i'd keep both goalies. But with a cap? Get what you can to help you now or in the future.
Trading away an asset that's an all-star for garbage is not the way to build a good team.

Old
04-03-2013, 10:46 AM
Reign Nateo

Quote:

And what? Have him sit on the bench eating cap until the off-season when the cap pressure ramps up?

Just trade the guy for the best deal available. All due respect to what the guy did for the team, his time is gone and his presence on the team is breeding stagnation.

Old
04-03-2013, 10:46 AM
Newfie John
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Canucklehead View Post
That may be the case - but he won't be dealt straight up for a tweener forward, either.
MacArthur + mid level prospect with good potential (Leivo is a good example) + 3rd round pick makes sense for both teams I think. The guy has 9 years left on his contract... Very likely a liability after 4 of them.

Luongo is a world class goaltender and ordinarily is worth a bundle... but in my mind the price is cut in half given you're only getting that goalie for half of the years you have him for.

Old
04-03-2013, 10:48 AM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

Quote:
Trading away an asset that's an all-star for garbage is not the way to build a good team.
It's simple supply and demand. If nobody outbids the Leafs how do you think Gillis extracts excellent value for Luongo?

Luongo's value will likely peak today. What is the point of waiting until the offseason where Gillis has much less leverage than he does today?

Old
Reign Nateo

Quote:
Hate to break it to you man, but Luongo is no longer an All-Star and hasn't been since 2009.

Old
nuckfan insk

vCash: 934
if nobody want to buck up for luongo then dangle schneider and demand a very high return.
toronto wants schneider ........ ok
reimer, reilly first and 2nd

im just as happy keeping luongo

Old
04-03-2013, 10:49 AM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Quote:
MacArthur + mid level prospect with good potential (Leivo is a good example) + 3rd round pick makes sense for both teams I think. The guy has 9 years left on his contract... Very likely a liability after 4 of them.

Luongo is a world class goaltender and ordinarily is worth a bundle... but in my mind the price is cut in half given you're only getting that goalie for half of the years you have him for.
No, it makes no sense for the Canucks to trade Luongo for that garbage. I'd rather have Luongo on our bench ready to take over for Schneider should Schneider falter in the playoffs than add a pending UFA 3rd line winger that does the exact same thing as our other 3rd line wingers do without scoring, and some garbage pick and prospect. Deal does not make sense for us at all.

Old
04-03-2013, 10:49 AM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck

Quote:

In that package, the latter two options need to change. Either MacArthur, a high level prospect and a third, or MacArthur, a mid-level prospect, and a higher pick. This is all assuming MacArthur is the return, and I don't think he's what the Canucks are looking for at this stage.

Old
04-03-2013, 10:51 AM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

Quote:
No, it makes no sense for the Canucks to trade Luongo for that garbage. I'd rather have Luongo on our bench ready to take over for Schneider should Schneider falter in the playoffs than add a pending UFA 3rd line winger that does the exact same thing as our other 3rd line wingers do without scoring, and some garbage pick and prospect. Deal does not make sense for us at all.
Would you do that knowing you get even less value in the summer?

I still don't understand how a 20 goalscorer like McArthur isn't an upgrade on Weise. Look what the Bruins did by loading their forward corps with 20 goal scorers.

Old
04-03-2013, 10:51 AM
Fogelhund

@strombone1: Maybe the Blue Jays need a goalie to catch RA Dickey? Just sayin.......

Old
04-03-2013, 10:54 AM
Fogelhund

Quote:
It makes sense to get the best deal you can, if you need to make a trade.

IF Gillis is set on dealing Luongo, and the BEST he can do is MacArthur and a 2nd, he has to do that deal. You don't spite your face, to save your nose.

Sure, if a Schneider deal is available that brings great assets, you have to look at that as an alternative.

But, the value for Luongo drops after this deadline, just as it has from the offseason. No matter what you end up getting, you attempt to maximize your assets, even if the return isn't what you expect.

Old
04-03-2013, 10:56 AM
Nuckles
༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ ( ͡ ᴥ͡)

vCash: 50
If the main NHL roster piece we get from Toronto is MacArthur, then they better also include their 2nd, a good prospect, and Scrivens.

If it's Kulemin, I'd want Scrivens and a lesser prospect/pick.

Richer's Ghost made my avatar
Old
04-03-2013, 10:57 AM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogelhund View Post
It makes sense to get the best deal you can, if you need to make a trade.

IF Gillis is set on dealing Luongo, and the BEST he can do is MacArthur and a 2nd, he has to do that deal. You don't spite your face, to save your nose.

Sure, if a Schneider deal is available that brings great assets, you have to look at that as an alternative.

But, the value for Luongo drops after this deadline, just as it has from the offseason. No matter what you end up getting, you attempt to maximize your assets, even if the return isn't what you expect.
No, we do not HAVE to deal Luongo at the trade deadline, nor do we HAVE to give Luongo to the Leafs for garbage. We can just as easily watch the Leafs goaltending implode in round 1 which could put more urgency on Nonis to go out and actually give something good for Luongo at the draft.

Old
04-03-2013, 11:00 AM
Vankiller Whale
Maybe HE can score

vCash: 5555
Quote:
No, we do not HAVE to deal Luongo at the trade deadline, nor do we HAVE to give Luongo to the Leafs for garbage. We can just as easily watch the Leafs goaltending implode in round 1 which could put more urgency on Nonis to go out and actually give something good for Luongo at the draft.
Ideally I'd want to move a solid futures package for someone like Pominville, then trade Luongo in the offseason to a team like the Islanders for futures to help recoup the ones we gave up.

Old
04-03-2013, 11:02 AM
Outside99*
Sedins off Kas

vCash: 796
GMMG needs to move Luongo today for whatever he can get. Roberto turns 34 tomorrow...

Who knows, Leafs might end up buying him out in 2014, GMMG will have saved the Aquilini's a ton of money.

Old
04-03-2013, 11:03 AM
Bourne Endeavor
( _)>⌐■-■ (⌐■_■)

vCash: 13357
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Canucklehead View Post
Doubt this really changes much on the Luongo front, to be honest. My impression is that Toronto has been trying to lowball us the whole time; them striking out on a band-aid solution isn't likely to change that, IMO.

Better off seeking a deal from another team.
Pretty much how I feel. They seem to have a similar opinion to the fanbase - that they'd be doing us a favor and we should be happy for it.

Old
04-03-2013, 11:04 AM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outside99 View Post
GMMG needs to move Luongo today for whatever he can get. Roberto turns 34 tomorrow...

Who knows, Leafs might end up buying him out in 2014, GMMG will have saved the Aquilini's a ton of money.
No, we don't need to move Luongo for whatever we can get. You DON'T move assets like Luongo for "whatever you can get."

Old
04-03-2013, 11:05 AM
Bourne Endeavor
( _)>⌐■-■ (⌐■_■)

vCash: 13357
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
Ideally I'd want to move a solid futures package for someone like Pominville, then trade Luongo in the offseason to a team like the Islanders for futures to help recoup the ones we gave up.
If the Islanders make the playoffs. I wonder if they'd be willing to deal their first for Lu. That would make giving up ours for Pominville a complete wash.

Old
04-03-2013, 11:05 AM
ahmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outside99 View Post

Exactly, its a depreciating asset...

A 2nd is nothing to sneeze at in a deep draft.

Get the picks and use it to upgrade the roster....

Closed Thread