HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Pedan to the Bridge **Signed ELC**

Old
04-02-2013, 02:03 PM
PWJunior
RIP Al Arbour

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformTheMasses View Post
I'm with you, I want Kichton in Bridgeport next year... I think it's down to Mayfield/Kichton/Pokka. I think they sign 1, MAYBE 2 for next season.

You haven't heard anything because Kichton is still playing in the WHL playoffs. Nothing will happen until Spokane gets eliminated.
I think Pokka is in a good situation in Finland and is probably best served playing another year there. Add in the cultural factors, he probably needs a little more seasoning before he comes over to a foreign country and deals with culture clash. I think we all remember how painful his draft interview went, this kid was NERVOUS. Keep him where he is.

I agree with your previous post about Mayfield returning to Denver. He's in a good situation there and he could make some major strides next year. I see no rush with him.

Kichton is the best candidate for the Isles to sign IMO. Hopefully his rejection of the offer is just posturing for a better deal, but I'd like him to be signed. If he doesn't sign, I won't shed a tear though as I have doubts about undersized offensive d-men... don't we have enough of those types? Still, a bigger talent pool is better than a smaller one.

PWJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 02:05 PM
PWJunior
RIP Al Arbour

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidney the Kidney View Post
What's the criteria for allowing a contract to slide?

I notice that both Nelson and Donovan joined BPT for around 6 games after their college seasons ended, but it didn't burn a year off their ELC deals. So I'm assuming it's the same for Pedan.

Is it a certain number of games played in the AHL?
Nelson, Donovan, and now Lee were college players. Strome and Pedan were from the CHL. That's probably where the difference lies.

PWJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 02:06 PM
InformTheMasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidney the Kidney View Post
What's the criteria for allowing a contract to slide?

I notice that both Nelson and Donovan joined BPT for around 6 games after their college seasons ended, but it didn't burn a year off their ELC deals. So I'm assuming it's the same for Pedan.

Is it a certain number of games played in the AHL?
Donovan and Nelson signed ATO's to play those handful of games. The 'Arbitrary slide' rule is as follows.

In the event that an 18 year old or 19 year old Player signs an SPC with a Club but does not play at least ten (10) NHL Games in the first season under that SPC, the term of his SPC and his number of years in the Entry Level System shall be extended for a period of one (1) year, except that this automatic extension will not apply to a Player who is 19 according to Section 9.2 by virtue of turning 20 between September 16 and December 31 in the year in which he first signs an SPC. Unless a Player and Club expressly agree to the contrary, in the event a Player's SPC is extended an additional year in accordance with this subsection, all terms of the SPC, with the exception of Signing Bonuses, but including Paragraph 1 Salary, games played bonuses and Exhibit 5 bonuses, shall be extended; provided, however, that the Player's Paragraph 1 Salary shall be extended in all circumstances.

Reading that sounds like it Wouldn't slide. But then again Mike Halmo signed an ELC around the same time of year as a full blown 20 year old last year and his ELC appears to have slid. Color me confused.

InformTheMasses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 02:13 PM
Sidney the Kidney
Simmons' Nightmare

vCash: 376
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformTheMasses View Post
Donovan and Nelson signed ATO's to play those handful of games. The 'Arbitrary slide' rule is as follows.

In the event that an 18 year old or 19 year old Player signs an SPC with a Club but does not play at least ten (10) NHL Games in the first season under that SPC, the term of his SPC and his number of years in the Entry Level System shall be extended for a period of one (1) year, except that this automatic extension will not apply to a Player who is 19 according to Section 9.2 by virtue of turning 20 between September 16 and December 31 in the year in which he first signs an SPC. Unless a Player and Club expressly agree to the contrary, in the event a Player's SPC is extended an additional year in accordance with this subsection, all terms of the SPC, with the exception of Signing Bonuses, but including Paragraph 1 Salary, games played bonuses and Exhibit 5 bonuses, shall be extended; provided, however, that the Player's Paragraph 1 Salary shall be extended in all circumstances.

Reading that sounds like it Wouldn't slide. But then again Mike Halmo signed an ELC around the same time of year as a full blown 20 year old last year and his ELC appears to have slid. Color me confused.
Unless I'm reading that wrong, the bolded may explain the Halmo thing. It sounds like if both the club and player agree to let it slide, it can slide.

Perhaps Halmo and his agent knew they had no leverage and agreed to let his contract slide otherwise risk not getting a contract, period? Whereas a guy like Pedan might have more leverage to say no if the club asks his agreement for it to slide?

Otherwise, I'm just getting a headache.

Sidney the Kidney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 02:27 PM
doublechili

vCash: 398
I noticed a couple of posters seeming disappointed that Pedan signed an ELC rather than an ATO. But isn't an ELC better? Doesn't that mean he's committed to the Isles now, as opposed to an ATO where he could still potentially become a UFA? I'm not sure how this all works though and could use confirmation/clarification. Thanks!

doublechili is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 02:32 PM
SI90

Awsome that Pedan got an ELC...I have a good feeling about him..

He may only become a solid#5 dman who is nasty but that would mean that we could potentially have Reinhart,Pedan,and Mayfield who are all 6'4 mobile and nasty...

People say Reinhart needs to get a bit meaner but imo he does when the time is right....

SI90 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 11:01 AM
Bunk Moreland

vCash: 50
Pedan got a compliment from Bob McKenzie who also tweeted last week he was highly impressed with his play in the post season:

Quote:
NYI agree to terms on 3-yr ELC with prospect Andrey Pedan. Pedan has signed ATO, headed to Bridgeport"/Good prospect.
https://twitter.com/TSNBobMcKenzie/s...63585287921664

Bunk Moreland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 11:12 AM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWJunior View Post
I think Pokka is in a good situation in Finland and is probably best served playing another year there. Add in the cultural factors, he probably needs a little more seasoning before he comes over to a foreign country and deals with culture clash. I think we all remember how painful his draft interview went, this kid was NERVOUS. Keep him where he is.

I agree with your previous post about Mayfield returning to Denver. He's in a good situation there and he could make some major strides next year. I see no rush with him.

Kichton is the best candidate for the Isles to sign IMO. Hopefully his rejection of the offer is just posturing for a better deal, but I'd like him to be signed. If he doesn't sign, I won't shed a tear though as I have doubts about undersized offensive d-men... don't we have enough of those types? Still, a bigger talent pool is better than a smaller one.
I am no kiddie fanboy as many know, but....

Kitchen and Snow should have a long discussion about Kitchen being Mark Streit's replacement this offseason when Streit signs for $4.5M {after turning down our $5M recently}.

Same type, smallish, solid offense and we're likely to see the same defense or better.

OlTimeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 01:18 PM
doublechili

vCash: 398
Quote:
Originally Posted by OlTimeHockey View Post
I am no kiddie fanboy as many know, but....

Kitchen and Snow should have a long discussion about Kitchen being Mark Streit's replacement this offseason when Streit signs for $4.5M {after turning down our $5M recently}.

Same type, smallish, solid offense and we're likely to see the same defense or better.
Plus, he's a RH shot and could swap sides with Vis on the PP for video game-level effectiveness.

doublechili is online now   Reply With Quote