HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, NHL revenues, relocation and expansion.

Would the NHL be better off with a 50 or 60 Game Schedule

Old
04-03-2013, 12:29 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by patnyrnyg View Post
Actually, it is 100% acurate.
Ya, absolutely. Its a sort transverse philosophy in terms of business model, King Midas in Reverse. Fewer & therefore far more meaningful & much better quality of game. Conference & Divisional Realignments. Game scheduling revised & revamped targeting & accommodating historical audience peaks & so on. With increased viewership & interest sponsorship & advertising revenues would increase substantially ameliorating the loss of live gate dates as the broadcasters would pay more for the rights, simultaneously freeing up 10, 15 or 20 dates during the peak winter months X's 30 buildings. Thing is, its just not gonna happen. The league is just so far down the road that their on, just no way to turn back the clock. Despite themselves more than modestly successful.

Killion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 12:39 PM
patnyrnyg

I agree, it will never happen. If anything, I think they would be more likely to expand to 86 or 90 games before they reduce the schedule.

patnyrnyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 01:01 PM
cutchemist42

Just do what I do, don't give the NHL 100% of your attention until after bowl season/Super Bowl. Jumping on 100% in January has been awesome for me in not getting hockey'd out.

cutchemist42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 01:11 PM
lush
@jasonlush

It would be interesting to look at what all the variables are in a decision like this

1) How much would TV ratings have to go up to recover the missing gates?
2) The league would change a lot, it wouldn't be like NFL/CFL with so few games, it wouldn't even be as low as MLS, what kind of attendance increase could you expect though (if any)? How much would attendance need to go up to recover the missing gates? Would the league evolve to the point where bigger stadiums became the norm?

There are scenarios where it could become more profitable, I would think that fewer games and bigger stadiums is actually more profitable. Operating costs would increase but they would decrease more so proportionately because while bigger stadiums need more staff, staff costs form the ~20 - ~30 games no longer occurring would be greater I reckon.

To me it's high risk and medium to low reward

lush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 01:39 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
I agree, it will never happen. If anything, I think they would be more likely to expand to 86 or 90 games before they reduce the schedule.
... ya, that sounds about right. Complete opposite of whats actually good for the game. Really pretty pathetic when you think about it. Absent any kind of decent broadcasting contract for decades they just kept increasing the #'s of games played, building their businesses at the gate, flooding the market with hasty expansion, bumping up the #'s of regular season games, a lack of depth in terms of talent pools, burning out what talent does exist, I mean, just mindblowing. 1917/18 they played 22G's, by the late 20's up into the 30's 48G's. By 1942/43 & during the War years steadying at 50, jumping to 60 in 48/49, then in 49-50 they add another 10 games topping out at 70 where it remained until 1967/68 & the first round of Expansion. Now 82. At minimum 12 too many. The talent cant support it, and as a result, you get both traditional & casual fans tuning out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutchemist42 View Post
Just do what I do, don't give the NHL 100% of your attention until after bowl season/Super Bowl. Jumping on 100% in January has been awesome for me in not getting hockey'd out.
Well thats just it. I absolutely love hockey but you know what? I could give a frigg about games pretty much clear on through until the 2nd round of the playoffs. Im a traditionalist old school fan, and simply cant be bothered with watching meaningless games often ending in completely absurd shootouts. Like handing out participation ribbons or something. What in Hell's wrong with a tie if the games played the way it can & should be, full-on & full-out?!. Not impressed with watching hot dog moves, some idiot spiking the puck with the tip of his blade at centre trying to make a fool of a goalie. Just on & on. Mindless...

Killion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 02:48 PM
viperswhip

I am going to say no. You need 58 games just to do the home and home with every other team in the league, then you have to promote some conference and division rivalries. 82 feels like too much because of 3 point games. Change the point format and the last two months of the schedule will feel like a mini playoff preview.

viperswhip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 10:37 PM
Crayton

I always wondered whether having 2 seasons each year was do-able. I know they did something like that a couple times 100 years ago when the league started. I suppose nowadays that off-season needs to be well structured.

Crayton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 10:45 PM
Riptide

Quote:
Actually, it is 100% acurate. Look back at this lockout. People on this site were naive enough to believe that each game canceled would result in a 1/82 reduction in revenues and salaries, and it just wasn't the case.

NBC coverage is Thanksgiving weekend and then kicks up in January.

If they dropped to ~70 games, you would probably see a 5% reduction in revenue. 60 games, might drop revenues 10%. This is assuming the play-offs remain the same with 4 rounds of best of 7's.

And yes, they can fill the building with other events, but again for many owners it doesn't matter as they LOSE money early in the season. I am reffering to the months of October, November, possibly December. NOT talking about the first few months THIS season. Note: I am NOT talking about teams like the Leafs, Habs, Rangers.
Lots of assumptions there.