HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Shoulder pads

Old
08-16-2006, 09:02 AM
Nbr-17

vCash: 500
Shoulder pads

Hi,
What would you recommend for recreational non-contact hockey?
Would a Sherwood 5030 or Bauer SP60 fine, or should I look for more protection?
Thanks.

Nbr-17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2006, 09:21 AM
Hugh Madbrough

I wear Easton Classic's and they work well for me. I think they are pretty much interchangeable with the Sherwoods and Bauers.

Hugh Madbrough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2006, 06:46 PM
Nbr-17

Anybody else?
Thanks.

Nbr-17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2006, 07:08 PM
Avery4Byng*

I wear the Sherwood's. A sweet throwback set of shoulders that still give you the movement for some beer league dangles.

Avery4Byng* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2006, 09:54 AM
VisionQuest*

recreational non-check leagues?
Id recommend not wearing any. I never do for beer league hockey/pickup.

VisionQuest* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2006, 11:57 AM
jiggs 10

If you are playing in a non-contact league, I don't know why you are wearing shoulder pads in the first place. Although if you are worried about getting injuried, that's fine. I haven't worn shoulder pads since the last high school game I played in 26 years ago, so I don't know what a good type would be anymore. But get something that allows you to move a lot, cause in a non-contact league, you will be able to carry the puck longer so you'll want some flexibility.

Good luck.

jiggs 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2006, 02:04 PM
Keetz

Non-checking is NOT non-contact. hockey is a contact sport. some guys in my league don't wear them, but i play defence and theres plenty of high slap shots and body shots that require proper protection. I dis like the guys who play the body when they arn't wearing shoulder pads then if you play their body the cry like boys.

just saying. personal opinion and usa hockey complient

Last edited by Keetz: 08-18-2006 at 02:12 PM.
Keetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2006, 03:29 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

I don't wear any either. But I got hit by a hard high slap shot in the chest and dropped to the ice. I just bought a hybrid protector from Mission. Not too bulky and offers "some" protection.

They have a pic of it on epuck. I bought mine at the pro shop.

HSHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2006, 07:44 PM
The Tikkanen
Pest

Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
I wear the Mission Thorax. It's basically a padded shirt in case I catch any slap shots. Other than that I've never had any use for shoulder pads in 13 years of league play.

The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2006, 12:54 AM
Avery4Byng*

I play in a "non contact league", but you never know when some idiot decides to rub you out or throw a hit. I dont really feel like missing work because of some moron, better to be safe then sorry.

Avery4Byng* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2006, 02:35 AM
Doctor Hook

Send a message via AIM to Doctor Hook
I'm still amazed at dudes who don't wear shoulder pads, even if it's a rec league. With the amount of hacking, errant shots, and occasional contact, I'm surprised more people don't get hurt, but to each his own.

I wore the Sher-Wood 5030s for a few games and ended up selling them on eBay because I didn't feel protected at all, especially in the stomach/rib area. I went back to my CCM 652s and it's basically peace of mind that I'm as protected as can be on the ice and I can play my game.

Doctor Hook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2006, 03:35 PM
sc37

vCash: 700
I'd recommend the Itech SP50s

sc37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2006, 08:38 PM
jiggs 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keetz View Post
Non-checking is NOT non-contact. hockey is a contact sport. some guys in my league don't wear them, but i play defence and theres plenty of high slap shots and body shots that require proper protection. I dis like the guys who play the body when they arn't wearing shoulder pads then if you play their body the cry like boys.

just saying. personal opinion and usa hockey complient
I know what you mean, but have to disagree a bit. I hate the players who DO wear full equipment in a non-contact rec league, then proceed to hack away at guys who AREN'T wearing breezers, shoulder pads, etc. Just because they choose to wear all of that heavy stuff does NOT give them the right to slash away at ME. Sure, I know I'm going to get a few taps here and there, but they don't hurt for the most part. But some of these clowns hit you harder on purpose because you are not wearing what THEY consider "proper" hockey equipment. I've noticed it's usually a player who is not very good at the game that does this, too. I guess they resent players who are maybe better than they are, and decide it's OK to use the stick on them. Oh well, it just makes me keep my head up, I guess....

jiggs 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2006, 09:32 PM
VisionQuest*

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiggs 10 View Post
I know what you mean, but have to disagree a bit. I hate the players who DO wear full equipment in a non-contact rec league, then proceed to hack away at guys who AREN'T wearing breezers, shoulder pads, etc. Just because they choose to wear all of that heavy stuff does NOT give them the right to slash away at ME. Sure, I know I'm going to get a few taps here and there, but they don't hurt for the most part. But some of these clowns hit you harder on purpose because you are not wearing what THEY consider "proper" hockey equipment. I've noticed it's usually a player who is not very good at the game that does this, too. I guess they resent players who are maybe better than they are, and decide it's OK to use the stick on them. Oh well, it just makes me keep my head up, I guess....

I agree with you whole heartedly.

Ive been playing hockey for a long, long time, and Im 6'3" and over 200 lbs. I can take it just as well as I can give it. Fortunately for myself and others around me, I know when and how to pick my spots, and being that I'm playing in adult leagues, skill will almost always trump hitting anyhow, so I make a point of playing a more skilled game. Its the idiots that just feel like their invincible and can run you at inappropriate times just to make a point that put themselves at risk, as far as Im concerned, because thats the sort of **** I dont tolerate. Like I said, its about picking your spots.

VisionQuest* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2006, 10:06 PM
znk

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiggs 10 View Post

I dont know what kind of non contact hockey leagues you guys are playing. If someone dosent wear the proper equipment it's his problem. Checks arent allowed but the skill level is high and you need protection. In the leagues I played we still fought for the puck as hard as in contact games, slapshots were still the same as in contact games and pucks could get deflected at any time. Players still tried to block shots etc...
If a guy was going to not wear the proper equipment expecting the other players to let down and change their game for him....well...we arent evil people and would do it. But it would have deffinetly pissed most of us off. I dont want to pull off on a slapshot because some guy in front of the net figured he didnt need the protection.

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2006, 12:12 AM
Jacob

I don't wear them but am trying to mod out a pair of Sherwoods so they provide protection along with enough mobility for me.

My biggest problem is how the arm protection interferes with even the most minimal of elbow pads.

I think I'm going to cut the caps off and shorten the arms.

Jacob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2006, 07:35 AM
maci4life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob View Post
I don't wear them but am trying to mod out a pair of Sherwoods so they provide protection along with enough mobility for me.

My biggest problem is how the arm protection interferes with even the most minimal of elbow pads.

I think I'm going to cut the caps off and shorten the arms.
exactly my problem. i have the sherwood 5030's and they interfere with teh ccm 652 elbows. you either strap them underneath or on top of the elbow cause they over lap, but the first movement throws them off, and they start stick out.

maci4life is offline   Reply With Quote