HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

[EDM/FLA] Jerred Smithson for a 4th Round Pick

Old
04-03-2013, 01:16 PM
Joe Hallenback

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Coleman View Post
He has 9 in 500+ games.
Are you high or what? He has 36 goals,67 assists,95 points and 353 PIM in 578 games.

Joe Hallenback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 01:16 PM
Puritania
Skooma Addict

vCash: 1206
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
Who's this Puck Daddy clown? I'm not a fan of this move but he's got this "Milbury Scale" for trades and he gave this trade three Milbury's out of four (that's bad). It's a non-move but it's not laughably bad.
Sportsnet can't help but bring in clowns for the trade deadline. Nice to know I made the right choice long ago to never watch that station outside of Oiler games.

Puritania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 01:18 PM
Asher

Quote:
Who's this Puck Daddy clown? I'm not a fan of this move but he's got this "Milbury Scale" for trades and he gave this trade three Milbury's out of four (that's bad). It's a non-move but it's not laughably bad.
I thought they hit an all-time low the year Eklund was there in silhouette. Maybe I was wrong...

Asher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 01:19 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
He has 9 in 500+ games.
lol

I must have seen half a dozen of them.

Serves me right not to check.

I do remember Smithson scoring a few in the Preds playoff run a couple years back and noting how atypical that was at the time.

Dang my memory.

Still though, Smithson over the Edmonton version of Belanger is gold all day anyday.

edit: Smithson has 38 career goals which makes him look like Jagr compared to the Belanger we've seen here.

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 01:20 PM
Hitchslap

vCash: 50
Does anyone know the mean amount of points fourth line centers in the NHL put up? He looks like an offensive black hole. He obviously brings other needed parts to the table, though, so I can't complain too much.

We need that line to be able to cycle a puck and grind out possession time in the offensive zone. I can't believe this guy has played almost 600 NHL games-- I barely know a thing about him. I recognized the name, but that's about the extent of my knowledge.

At the very least this should make our 4th line slightly tougher to play against.

Hitchslap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 01:20 PM
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid

vCash: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Belanger is a kitty cat and Smithson plays with grit. Smithson also actually capable of scoring a goal and not being the Belanger triangle to offence.
The grit element has some teeth to it...Smithson as an offensive upgrade only makes sense if you include sample sizes that have no real significance. I think he only has about 30 goals in his career.

Thats like saying that playing Potter is a defensive upgrade over Whitney...the reality is they are both garbage defensively.

Having said all that if Smithson can play with some grit and win the majority of his faceoffs he will help the team. He is an upgrade on Smyth.

guymez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 01:21 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
lol

I must have seen half a dozen of them.

Serves me right not to check.

I do remember Smithson scoring a few in the Preds playoff run a couple years back and noting how atypical that was at the time.

Dang my memory.

Still though, Smithson over the Edmonton version of Belanger is gold all day anyday.
He has 38 goals in 500 odd games. I'm not sure where he got 9 goals from.

Moonlapse Vertigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 01:23 PM
Asher

I like that trade for Ottawa. We'll see how Bishop does in TB...

Asher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 01:24 PM
Moose Coleman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Hallenback View Post
Are you high or what? He has 36 goals,67 assists,95 points and 353 PIM in 578 games.
Sorry, I meant his career high was 9 goals.

Moose Coleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 01:25 PM
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everest View Post
I think your being myopic when you refuse to expand on the "size" aspect of Smithson's game. Its not just a measurement in this example. This is a player who actually stalks opposing players with tenacity and intent.

Im not saying he is Wendel Clark...but...there is some real venom to his game.
Good to hear...sounds like you have seen Smithson play more than I have. Venom is something this team needs and if he can play about 10 minutes a night then he may be a factor.

Quote:
I still like Lander but he didn't seem to have enough speed to play full time NHL minutes. The only reason he fits as a 4rth liner here right now is because 4rth line NHLers are comprable to him in speed...not style.
I dont think the speed issue has a lot of merit...he has enough speed for a 4th line role IMO.
However, as correctly pointed out earlier in this thread, Lander needs to improve on his faceoffs which is critical to any NHL aspirations he may have.

Old
04-03-2013, 01:27 PM
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by SephF View Post
At least we won't be expecting offense that will never come with Smithson. He also seems like he'll embrace the 4th line role more then Belanger.

Not to mention he's drastically more physical, right handed and brings size.

He's also played 80+ games multiple times in his career, seems to be pretty healthy.

I'll take it, Belly hasn't been very good here aside from winning draws.

Smithson actually has more points then Belanger this year for what it's worth.
All good points but IIRC Smithson is a UFA after this season so for his durability to be a factor he would have to be signed to another contract.

Old
04-03-2013, 01:27 PM
tiger_80

Quote:
Staples just tweeted: If Smithson is to Belanger what Brown has been to Eager, this could be a good move for #Oilers. We'll see .....

That's a good way of looking at it, I guess. I just wish that we could dump Belanger somewhere.
This team just got a little bit grittier and harder to play against. Smithson is not a world beater by any means, but he could still be a useful 4th liner.

Hall-RNH-Eberle
Paajarvi-Gagner-Hemsky
Jones-Horcoff-Yakupov
Smyth-Smithson-Brown
Petrell, Lander

tiger_80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 01:28 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

I keep reading that Barry Trotz was a fan of Smithson's when he was in Nashville. I'm struggling to wrap my head around the idea that you can decline in a 4th line role where you're just expected to play 10 minutes a night and win face-offs. It's a pretty simple, defined role especially if you're good on the dot, which Smithson is.

Moonlapse Vertigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 01:28 PM
Everest

Smithson might end up scoring a big one in the next few weeks. You never know....

Belanger ended up over-concentrating on a stabilized approach to his game and after awhile it just slipped away into completley innocuous/uninspired/detatched play.

Smithson will draw into this line up and the first thing he will try and do is crunch somebody. Similar to what Brown did. Its a nice charge to put into a playoff chase, IMO.

Everest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 01:30 PM
Oilbleeder
Lead us to glory.

vCash: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by guymez View Post

I dont think the speed issue has a lot of merit...he has enough speed for a 4th line role IMO.
However, as correctly pointed out earlier in this thread, Lander needs to improve on his faceoffs which is critical to any NHL aspirations he may have.
I think that's the key here.

On a team where it's top-2 C's have a big deficiency in their game with regards to FO's, I don't think you can bring up Lander and have 3/4 C's suck at FO's and hope to play some sort of puck possession game.

I'm actually happy at the trade and price. Anything after a 3rd has the same value to me, and adding a guy like Smithson(who I'm a fan of) to this roster is good. He helps on the PK, FO and physical play department. He's also a veteran who has played in a structured two-way system under Trotz. It's a good pickup for a young team.

Hell now I kinda wish we had gotten Volpatti to roll a Volpatti-Smithson-Brown 4th line.

04-03-2013, 01:31 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everest View Post
Smithson might end up scoring a big one in the next few weeks. You never know....

Belanger ended up over-concentrating on a stabilized approach to his game and after awhile it just slipped away into completley innocuous/uninspired/detatched play.

Smithson will draw into this line up and the first thing he will try and do is crunch somebody. Similar to what Brown did. Its a nice charge to put into a playoff chase, IMO.
Precisely. This is a good addition for a run. Only problem being how quickly Smithson can arrive and get in lineup.

Its often the quiet pickups that fill some gaps. This gives us more ability to roll the 4 lines as we want and play some quick tempo hockey and tire opponents out.

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 01:32 PM
CorpseFX

vCash: 872
id have loved for them to make a run for Steve Ott and play him where needed (C/LW) to go along with this.

CorpseFX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 01:34 PM
thadd
Oil4Life

Send a message via MSN to thadd
Perfect replacement for Horcoff... I MEAN BELANGER!

Sorry Lander. You're gonna have to shape up a ton to make this team.

thadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 01:34 PM
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilbleeder View Post
I think that's the key here.

On a team where it's top-2 C's have a big deficiency in their game with regards to FO's, I don't think you can bring up Lander and have 3/4 C's suck at FO's and hope to play some sort of puck possession game.

I'm actually happy at the trade and price. Anything after a 3rd has the same value to me, and adding a guy like Smithson(who I'm a fan of) to this roster is good. He helps on the PK, FO and physical play department. He's also a veteran who has played in a structured two-way system under Trotz. It's a good pickup for a young team.

Hell now I kinda wish we had gotten Volpatti to roll a Volpatti-Smithson-Brown 4th line.
Completely agree on Lander.

Good points on Smithson...I would really like to see a 4th line good enough that it allows the team to roll 4 lines. That will be a major asset down the stretch when the team plays a lot of games in a short period of time.

Smithson may well allow for that possibility.

Old
04-03-2013, 01:38 PM
Pennertration

Are people actually worried about missing out on Belanger's offensive output now? Tough crowd

Pennertration is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 01:45 PM
Horseradish

If they'd traded 7th, I'd have been fine with it but Florida paid a 6th for a younger Smithseon under contract for a year and a half under contract just over a year ago. And Tambo thought a 4th was worth it for a guy who fetched a 6th when younger and with more time under ink?! Bad asset management.

And frankly, at this stage, what's he bringing that the Oilers can't come reasonably close to with one or both of Lander and Belanger? Not TOO much. Frankly, they could've had a younger and better Hall off waivers.

Just overall a confusinf and poorly thought out plan of attack, imho.

Horseradish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 01:45 PM
Horseradish

If they'd traded 7th, I'd have been fine with it but Florida paid a 6th for a younger Smithseon under contract for a year and a half under contract just over a year ago. And Tambo thought a 4th was worth it for a guy who fetched a 6th when younger and with more time under ink?! Bad asset management.

And frankly, at this stage, what's he bringing that the Oilers can't come reasonably close to with one or both of Lander and Belanger? Not TOO much. Frankly, they could've had a younger and better Hall off waivers.

Just overall a confusinf and poorly thought out plan of attack, imho.

Horseradish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 01:46 PM
mullet

Good thing they brought up Lander!

mullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 01:46 PM
OilerLord

Hits 81 - 17 in favour of Smithson
Height 6'3 - 5'11 in favour of Smithson
Weight 209 - 185 in favour of Smithson
Faceoff % 54.8 - 54.1 in favour of Smithson
Points 5 - 3 in favour of Smithson
Age 34 - 35 in favour of Smithson

I don't mind this deal.

OilerLord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 01:51 PM
Ol' Jase
PLAYOFFS??

Quote:
Sorry, I meant his career high was 9 goals.
Huh?

Which 500+ game season was that?

Ol' Jase is offline   Reply With Quote