HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Mike Ribeiro is taking Powerskating lessons

Old
08-18-2006, 01:57 PM
NORiculous

vCash: 945
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catch-22 View Post
I'm calling it how I see it. Good PR and good BS.
You seem to have your mind made up, no matter what happends.
Good for you.

NORiculous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2006, 02:39 PM
Shabutie

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
I have taken issue with Rib's skating in the past. I won't make sweeping generalizations about him, but there are 2 specific things about his skating that I notice.

1 Darz mentionned it another thread, sometimes he doesn't skate, simply keeping his feet moving is key. He isn't strong enough,few are to play a stationary game.

2 Power off the 1st step. Picture the pp, Kovy playing high on the faceoff arc, Ribs or Koivu off the crease on the right side. Koivu takes a pass and takes a strong step towards the net, he's no shooter but he has good hands in tight. The D has to react to his movement,giving options to Koivu, the shot or the cross crease play to Ryder. Ribs takes the same pass and looks for his options, he doesn't move strong to the net to force the D. If he can improve his first step, he'll be more productive I believe.

Should he have used each off season to fine tune his game ? I think so. I've read stuff about Brad Richards how he identifies weaknesses and works on them. The ability and determination to do this is a talent in itself. I've heard mumblings about Carbo believing Ribs has to take 'being in the NHL' more seriously.

Well, he's signed to a generous contact, maybe they believe he'll get there.

He had an odd season last year. At times it seemed his overall game was improving, but his numbers decreased. Playing better doesn't always seem to equal scoring better. It seems all summer a real hate has been festering for this kid, and I could care less why. I wonder though, if he excels with his talented linemates and the team comfortably sails into the post season, will we be happy for him, or just chalk it up to his wingers ? I want the Habs to win. Personally, I think another style forwrad would be nice, but Ribs is there, by Gainey's choice.
Well said sir.

Shabutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2006, 03:00 PM
Catch-22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coco Fever View Post
Maybe this time the powerskating coach will really look at all the little details and come up with specific drills/exercices or recommandations to improve his skating.

It can be very technical and one has to spend a lot of time watching your movements before coming up with a plan.

Catch-22: I know (and you know that I know...) where he skated in '99, '00, '01, etc. And I don't think it was powerskating. More conditionning. And I'm not saying this in disrespect for the guy he used to work with.

A true powerskating coach will look at the way you skate, analyze it and see what areas you can work on to gain speed and powerful strides. He/she will not only tell you to skate that way, put your the tip of you blade here, etc. It's very specific.

In my case, I've already responded to you that most of the sessions were specifically powerskating. From a guy who has been at a powerskating session with Ribeiro, I can tell you that Ribeiro has done powerskating before. You have a right not to agree but I am forced to ask whether you were there at that time...

Catch-22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2006, 03:02 PM
Catch-22

Quote:
Originally Posted by NORiculous View Post
You seem to have your mind made up, no matter what happends.
Good for you.

What's amazing to me is how many people have their minds made up about Ribeiro after only ONE season with better than average point production....just like Theodore.

Old
08-18-2006, 03:12 PM
Coco Fever

Quote:
In my case, I've already responded to you that most of the sessions were specifically powerskating. From a guy who has been at a powerskating session with Ribeiro, I can tell you that Ribeiro has done powerskating before. You have a right not to agree but I am forced to ask whether you were there at that time...
I guess the issue is our definition of powerskating then.

I was there for sure; I was helping out the guy with younger groups during the week. So I know what type of drills were done and I would not call it powerskating.

Coco Fever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2006, 03:13 PM
Shabutie

Did Ribeiro ever do something to you Catch? You seem awefully bitter... Maybe he locked you out of the gym without any clothes on? Open up....

Old
08-18-2006, 03:21 PM
Catch-22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabutie View Post
Did Ribeiro ever do something to you Catch? You seem awefully bitter... Maybe he locked you out of the gym without any clothes on? Open up....
No. in fact, I'm sure he's not as bad a guy as some people make him out to be. I could also care less what he does in his personal life. But on the Montreal Canadiens? No thank you.

Old
08-18-2006, 03:25 PM
pepperMonkey

people, people. calm down (hmm...I think I'm doing a lot of these lately...). Ribs is taking powerskating lessons. He has taken powerskating lessons before (obviously). He has not taken lessons from this lady before. Might make a difference, might not. Either way good for him for trying. That's really all there is to it. We should not be brought down to bickering about whether his prior lessons were mainly powerskating lessons or not. It's rather pointless to argue about it at this time since he's still moving like a slug. Let us all just wait and see what happens and make judgement then. Heck, lets just enjoy Habs hockey.

pepperMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2006, 03:29 PM
Shabutie

Quote:
No. in fact, I'm sure he's not as bad a guy as some people make him out to be. I could also care less what he does in his personal life. But on the Montreal Canadiens? No thank you.
Unfortunetely, we already have a GM and Ribs is here to stay for another year...

Old
08-18-2006, 03:33 PM
Shabutie

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepperMonkey View Post
people, people. calm down (hmm...I think I'm doing a lot of these lately...). Ribs is taking powerskating lessons. He has taken powerskating lessons before (obviously). He has not taken lessons from this lady before. Might make a difference, might not. Either way good for him for trying. That's really all there is to it. We should not be brought down to bickering about whether his prior lessons were mainly powerskating lessons or not. It's rather pointless to argue about it at this time since he's still moving like a slug. Let us all just wait and see what happens and make judgement then. Heck, lets just enjoy Habs hockey.
The woman specificaly says this is Ribs first experience powerskating and he didn't know what to expect she also says that he excelled at every level of hockey and that now that he's in the nhl, he feels the need to better himself in the skating department (don't know why he didn't chose to before...). Personally I'll go with the woman's word before Catch-22's, seing as every post I've seen from this guy is biased against ribs...

Old
08-18-2006, 03:41 PM
Catch-22

Quote:
The woman specificaly says this is Ribs first experience powerskating and he didn't know what to expect she also says that he excelled at every level of hockey and that now that he's in the nhl, he feels the need to better himself in the skating department (don't know why he didn't chose to before...). Personally I'll go with the woman's word before Catch-22's, seing as every post I've seen from this guy is biased against ribs...
You make your choices, shabutie. I can;t say I expected anything more.

Just for the record, there are many players even better than Ribeiro who excel at every level and then fail at in the NHL.

And lastly, don't be so sure that he will be here for the whole year.

Old
08-18-2006, 03:49 PM
Shabutie

Quote:
You make your choices, shabutie. I can;t say I expected anything more.

Just for the record, there are many players even better than Ribeiro who excel at every level and then fail at in the NHL.

And lastly, don't be so sure that he will be here for the whole year.
Oh, I'm not but I'll encourage his efforts for as long as he is. I don't understand how people can hate players that are on their teams...

Old
08-18-2006, 03:57 PM
Catch-22

Quote:
Oh, I'm not but I'll encourage his efforts for as long as he is. I don't understand how people can hate players that are on their teams...
I am a fan of the team first (you know the philosphy "logo on the front before the name on the back"?). I am only a fan of the individual players on the condition that I think they can help us to win the Stanley Cup. That is why I choose to like or dislike players (only as hockey players) on my team.

Old
08-18-2006, 04:29 PM
Shabutie

Quote:
I am a fan of the team first (you know the philosphy "logo on the front before the name on the back"?). I am only a fan of the individual players on the condition that I think they can help us to win the Stanley Cup. That is why I choose to like or dislike players (only as hockey players) on my team.
You can dislike a player, doesn't mean you have to continually rag on them. I dislike Radek Bonk, but I don't always get on his back, especially when somebody posts a positive thread about the guy. You can't control who plays or who doesn't play for your team, so you might as well just watch and cheer them on...

Old
08-18-2006, 05:02 PM
Catch-22

Quote:
You can dislike a player, doesn't mean you have to continually rag on them. I dislike Radek Bonk, but I don't always get on his back, especially when somebody posts a positive thread about the guy. You can't control who plays or who doesn't play for your team, so you might as well just watch and cheer them on...
Ribeiro doesn't care what I think and he doesn't read these boards. It's not personal. It's about hockey. I argue with Ribeiro's fans. This is a discussion board and that is my right when someone posts something that is non-factual or that I disagree with. This thread was inaccurately presenting Ribeiro's powerskating as a first time occurence. Since I have knowledge and experiences that contradict this, I posted that. Frankly, you should be grateful that I took the time to post the truth, since you would not have known (or had the opportunity to know) otherwise that Ribeiro had actually powerskated before. By reading my post, you had the opportunity to learn something new, whether you chose to take advantage of it or not.

And I also get a kick out of challenging myself to come up with reasonabe conclusions using my experiences and knowledge of hockey. These boards give me that opportunity. Many others do the same. If this is not a philosphy that you agree with and think that everyone's reasons for posting should be exactly like Shabutie's, then ask the administrators to include that in the forum posting rules. Otherwise, you can simply put me on your ignore list...something you threatened to do months ago but never did.

Old
08-18-2006, 05:36 PM
znk

Quote:
I think you'd be amazed at what some of the more serious powerskating lessons involve. Anyway there have been a ton of anti Ribeiro threads and I've been part of the mob in most of them but I dont feel the need to come here and ***** about Ribeiro in what appears to me as being a legitimate positive Ribeiro thread.

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2006, 05:39 PM
felixd

Quote:
Lol Ribeiro and Gym in the same sentence

felixd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2006, 05:46 PM
pepperMonkey

Enough with the bickering already (Shabutie/Catch-22). People would think you two are married. Don't need to scare 911. Don't listen to them 911. Just cover your ears. Just repeat after me, married life is bliss.

pepperMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2006, 06:20 PM
Catch-22

Quote:
Originally Posted by znk View Post
I think you'd be amazed at what some of the more serious powerskating lessons involve.

That's a little presumptuous, don't you think? I'm not entirely sure that you know a lot about my powerskating activities.

Old
08-18-2006, 06:34 PM
Catch-22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coco Fever View Post
I guess the issue is our definition of powerskating then.

I was there for sure; I was helping out the guy with younger groups during the week. So I know what type of drills were done and I would not call it powerskating.
What makes you think the things done during the week were what we did at 7am on Sunday morning? Look, I'm not quite sure you're on the same page as I am and that you're discussing the same things.

Last edited by Catch-22: 08-18-2006 at 06:40 PM.
Old
08-18-2006, 07:10 PM
NORiculous

vCash: 945
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepperMonkey View Post
Enough with the bickering already (Shabutie/Catch-22). People would think you two are married. Don't need to scare 911. Don't listen to them 911. Just cover your ears. Just repeat after me, married life is bliss.

Quote:
Ribeiro doesn't care what I think and he doesn't read these boards. It's not personal. It's about hockey. I argue with Ribeiro's fans. This is a discussion board and that is my right when someone posts something that is non-factual or that I disagree with. This thread was inaccurately presenting Ribeiro's powerskating as a first time occurence. Since I have knowledge and experiences that contradict this, I posted that. Frankly, you should be grateful that I took the time to post the truth, since you would not have known (or had the opportunity to know) otherwise that Ribeiro had actually powerskated before. By reading my post, you had the opportunity to learn something new, whether you chose to take advantage of it or not.

And I also get a kick out of challenging myself to come up with reasonabe conclusions using my experiences and knowledge of hockey. These boards give me that opportunity. Many others do the same. If this is not a philosphy that you agree with and think that everyone's reasons for posting should be exactly like Shabutie's, then ask the administrators to include that in the forum posting rules. Otherwise, you can simply put me on your ignore list...something you threatened to do months ago but never did.
I figured it was that because you sometimes "forget" data to get the conclusions you want. Which is fine, if you get a kick out if it but I don't find it convincing, rather the opposite and I think it is the only thing people don't appreciate in your posts.

It has nothing to do with if they believe the same things you are pointing out or if they find the points you make to be valid or not. It is only because there is no real communication since your mind is made up; your viewpoint can not move, in appearance anyways.

Which might not be a bad thing; it all depends on how you look it.

Quote:
What's amazing to me is how many people have their minds made up about Ribeiro after only ONE season with better than average point production....just like Theodore.
You know, most posters were bashing Ribeiro this summer and last year but they got over it when you came along...

Ok seriously, people saw he tried harder, Gainey signed him with a raise and more little things like somophore jinx and whatver, that made them say something like this: "Ok, lets give him (Ribs) a break and see what he can do this year or else... Peace for now you (Ribs) little twarp and hopefully you (Ribs) can pan out because we know that if does pan out, he (Ribs) will be a good player."

"Mike is a good player when he moves his feet." -Bob

NORiculous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2006, 07:13 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

I have a feeling that ten years from now the phrase: Mike Ribeiro is taking Powerskating lessons will make people laugh a great deal.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2006, 11:33 AM
jacklours

Quote:
Originally Posted by guizz View Post
he doesn't have to review his number, the girl in the interview, which is a professional skating teacher and see tons of students everyday, said you can get 25% faster.
WOW I would definitely need to see her do a scientific research on that before I actually believe what she says. 25% faster is incredible.

jacklours is offline   Reply With Quote