HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Calgary Flames
Notices

Was Alex Tanguay the right man for Calgary?

Old
08-14-2006, 02:32 AM
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid

vCash: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miko View Post
I agree the Tanguay at center experiment may not work out but adding a player of his playmaking ability never hurts. Tanguay may find his groove and shine in his new role with the flames.In terms of not being strong enough of to center the 1st line then Gomez,Savard ,A. MacDonald etc may disagree with you.Not physical monsters but still put up some really good numbers. Iginla will benifet from playing with another elite talent like Tanguay and i wouldn't be suprised to see him hit 90+ points this year.If it doesn't work out as sutter planned then i'm sure there is a plan B,C,and D as mixing up the lines is nothing new with the flames. We all know daryl is upstairs now but i'm confident Playfair ,Fleming and Preston will find a suitable cohesion with Tanguay, Iginla and whoever plays either c or lw on the top line. I think the flames will have a better GF stats then what the usually flame bashers say on here. I can't wait for some posters to eat it when the flames score more then what they were quoteing .
I just don't see Tanguay as an effective centre even though thats really where the Flames need some help. I imagine Playfair will try him at centre to try and shore up that weakness and I guess we shall see how he does. Outside of Langkow all the Flames really have are 3rd/4th line centres so it really is all up to Tanguay.
He will obviously help their offence regardless of which position he plays but he would help solve the lack of centre depth if he can be effective at centre.

guymez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2006, 02:51 AM
Miko

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by guymez View Post
I just don't see Tanguay as an effective centre even though thats really where the Flames need some help. I imagine Playfair will try him at centre to try and shore up that weakness and I guess we shall see how he does. Outside of Langkow all the Flames really have are 3rd/4th line centres so it really is all up to Tanguay.
He will obviously help their offence regardless of which position he plays but he would help solve the lack of centre depth if he can be effective at centre.
Well apparently the plan is pretty much public as we know.Start Tanguay at Center but if this plan faulters then Langkow is the best centerman the flames have but i wouldn't be too suprised to see Lombo or even Lundmark get some playing time to see what works best. I'm not sold on the idea of having Lombo or Lundmark get first line duties but anything is possible with a new head coach at the helm. I'm just not ready to to believe that Tanguay isn't capable of centering the top line until we see the plan in action. But whose to say the flames are done dealing.There could be a late deal to be made before training camp,for who i have no clue really but its not out of the question.

Miko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2006, 02:59 AM
motojime

Quote:
Originally Posted by cds View Post
It really pisses me off when people turn on their teams' former players solely out of bitterness. Tanguay is a great player, and if he stays healthy, I wouldn't be surprised to see him around 90-95 pts this season. As an Avs fan, I wasn't happy at all to see him go, even though he can be hugely frustrating to watch sometimes with his reluctance to shoot the puck. That said, I can live with the return of Leopold and two 2nd rounders.
I don't turn on Tanguay or any other former Av, as you said. I replied to some selfish Calgary fans who did their best to bash the Avs by saying that deal was lost by the Avs. I really don't think that Leopold, Codey Burki and the 2nd in a deep 2007 draft for Tanguay is a bad deal. Especially in the new cap era.

And to those who discuss about Tanguay playing at center: he's no center, he played it in juniors only. He's too soft and wins too little draws to be a centerman.

motojime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2006, 03:11 AM
Rakiet*

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheechoo14whitney View Post
To me Tanguay-Langkow-Iginla sounds intriguing, they might be one of the most dangerous lines in the coming season... and they could be for years to come!

I'd be more intrigued by Tanguay-Conroy-Iginla, but Conroy is a greedy gypsie

Rakiet* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2006, 09:08 AM
Shamrocks

Send a message via AIM to Shamrocks
Quote:
Originally Posted by guymez View Post
Lombardi will be a 2nd line center for sure, and with some more experience so could lundmark. They are both young with potential. Lombardi could center Iginla and Tanguay, and let Langkow center Kobasew and Huselius. Two very nice top lines. IMO.

Shamrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2006, 09:48 AM
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid

vCash: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shamrocks View Post
Lombardi will be a 2nd line center for sure, and with some more experience so could lundmark. They are both young with potential. Lombardi could center Iginla and Tanguay, and let Langkow center Kobasew and Huselius. Two very nice top lines. IMO.
Lombardi is still a question mark. I wouldn't be so quick to tag him as a 'for sure' 2nd line (much less a 1st line) centreman.

guymez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2006, 01:36 PM
johnny cool

Send a message via AIM to johnny cool
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakiet View Post

johnny cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2006, 02:22 PM
Everest

As an Oiler fan I shuddered when Tanguay arrived in CGY. As a WINGER he gives Iggy a great compliment and fills out the Flames first line with probably MORE talent that Iggy has EVER had in CGY before...so I don't see why the Flames want to make Tanguay LESS of a player by moving him to center.
I think Tanguay can help in huge measures playing the wing...but I think it would be dicey with Tanguay at center.
IMO the Flames would be FARTHER ahead to leave a natural center(Langkow) with Iggy and just put Tanguay on the WING with those 2.

If you REALLY want a first line center (IMPROVEMENT over Langkow) why wouldn't you TRADE LANGKOW AND LEOPOLD for a natural #1 center?...or at least SOME KIND of an aggressive/purposeful solution...as opposed to trade for a winger and try and convert him into a center.

Everest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2006, 05:35 PM
Matsi
got paws?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakiet View Post
Actually Langkow is better than Conroy in every way you compare the two. while also being five years younger. I can't see why you would rather have Conroy...

I see it the same way as Everest, there's no way explaining it better. I also don't see how Tanguay being the right man can truely be questioned...

Matsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2006, 03:07 PM
Roman Tanner

Tanguay is a tremendous talent. A gifted playmaker no doubt and one of my all-time favorite Avs. But statistically, I don't think he'll do any better then in years past. It's very much a product of hockey philosophy and the Flames and Avs simply play different styles.

He's exactly what the Flames needed and exactly what the Avs could afford to get rid of. The exact same thing can be said of Leopold. In a non salary cap world the Flames got the best player, but in a capped environment, I think the Avs got the best value.

Roman Tanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2006, 05:44 PM
Celticgreen

lets wait till we see him play first

Celticgreen is offline   Reply With Quote