HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Tampa Bay Lightning
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

[TB/OTT] Ben Bishop to TB for Cory Conacher and a 4th round pick (2013)

Old
04-03-2013, 02:32 PM
Xenophobia Catalyst
Legendary

vCash: 3073
Quote:
Originally Posted by boltsfanatic View Post
I stated it on the main board, and I'll state it here; better Conacher than Killorn, Johnson, Palat, or Panik. They are all around better players - at both ends of the ice.
While I still don't like the trade at the moment. I do have to agree with this.

Xenophobia Catalyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 02:34 PM
Follower of Yzlam
Believe the Yzerplan

vCash: 1159
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanOberg View Post
I feel the same way. How are they going to figure out which guy is the long term solution? I guess you ride Bishop/Lindback until one of them shows they can be a starter or not the answer. Plus Vasi will be ready at some point.
I'd prefer to take our time with Vasi. Give him three/four/five seasons and let him really develop. This could go a long way in providing that.

Follower of Yzlam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 02:44 PM
The Wyzerhood
A league of his own

vCash: 500
Now that I've taken some time to step back and evaluate the trade, I'm not hating it as much, but I still don't like it. I just really enjoyed seeing Cory's blend of skill and heart out there on the ice and felt it was infectious.

Hopefully Bishop pans out for us, but goalies have really suffered in Tampa lately...was hoping for a more proven netminder if we were giving up a player like Cory.

The Wyzerhood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 02:44 PM
TheDaysOf 04
Rated [SFY]

Quote:
Originally Posted by albatross View Post
I don't see this as giving up on Lindback though. He maybe made a mistake by not taking Bishop last year for less. Ok, scratch that, he did make a mistake. But Lindback is still going to be here. So they compete with each other. It's not a bad thing. And certainly better than having Garon back next season. Makes me think the price for Miller was totally unreasonable or Yzerman knew he wouldn't re-sign.
A situation where we have two great goalies who can both start like what the Blues had last year would be amazing. No question.

When Yzerman drafted Vasilevski I didn't take it as anything concerning about the previous move to get Lindback. This one I feel like you wouldn't need to get a player in the same category as lindback: young, unproven, tons of potential, if you thought Lindback was gonna be the guy for years to come. You could say there's nothing wrong with having too many good goaltenders and that depth like this is good but...I don't know. If he still believes Lindback will be the #1, that's a lot to give up for a back up. Janus would have been the cheaper option. The very collective thought that Bishop is already better than Lindback makes me think there's some doubt in Yzerman. Im waiting to see what he says.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still All In View Post
Perhaps. Perhaps he comes here last year with the pressure of being a "hero" on a team struggling and ***** the bed. Its easy to sit on a perch and look back and say "we should have gone this way". The rest of the argument was addressed by russian.
Yep and he is better than he was a year ago and more proven too. I'm not saying he's the same as he was a year ago so the cost wouldn't be the same now too, but boy did the price go waaaayyyyy up.

Old
04-03-2013, 02:46 PM
Marcel Cousineau
The REAL #31

Nothing like a trade that sets a franchise back a few years, eh boys?

Marcel Cousineau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 02:48 PM
The Wyzerhood
A league of his own

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcel Cousineau View Post
Don't know about this one setting us back a few years, generally only the Leafs make trades of that magnitude.

The Wyzerhood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
CC321

I can live with this trade. Everyone loved Conacher, but we had too many great small players in the pipeline if you count Johnson, Kucherov, Gusev, and Peca. Not sure what this means for Janus however. Maybe Lindback/Bishop in Tampa and Janus/Vasilevski in Syracuse for next season.

CC321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
The YzerJesus
Turns Piss Into Wine

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tampa Bay Trio View Post
Now that I've taken some time to step back and evaluate the trade, I'm not hating it as much, but I still don't like it. I just really enjoyed seeing Cory's blend of skill and heart out there on the ice and felt it was infectious.

Hopefully Bishop pans out for us, but goalies have really suffered in Tampa lately...was hoping for a more proven netminder if we were giving up a player like Cory.
Totally agree. He went to war every shift. I'm in the same boat, where I've now had time to evaluate. I don't hate it as much, but I still don't like it. CC sparked lines when they were slumping.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDaysOf 04 View Post
A situation where we have two great goalies who can both start like what the Blues had last year would be amazing. No question.

Yep and he is better than he was a year ago and more proven too. I'm not saying he's the same as he was a year ago so the cost wouldn't be the same now too, but boy did the price go waaaayyyyy up.
Yep. Like, through the roof.

The YzerJesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 02:52 PM
The Fear Boners
Plz stop pucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDaysOf 04 View Post

When Yzerman drafted Vasilevski I didn't take it as anything concerning about the previous move to get Lindback. This one I feel like you wouldn't need to get a player in the same category as lindback: young, unproven, tons of potential, if you thought Lindback was gonna be the guy for years to come. You could say there's nothing wrong with having too many good goaltenders and that depth like this is good but...I don't know. If he still believes Lindback will be the #1, that's a lot to give up for a back up. Janus would have been the cheaper option. The very collective thought that Bishop is already better than Lindback makes me think there's some doubt in Yzerman. Im waiting to see what he says.

Oh I agree. Luckily it worked nicely for both sides - they need offense, we need goaltending.

The Fear Boners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
The YzerJesus
Turns Piss Into Wine

vCash: 50
Also, it just doesn't make sense. Two unproven goaltenders. Makes no sense to me.

It does say to Lindback that we haven't lost faith in you however. If we got a Miller, Lindback would be behind him like he was behind Rinne.

But two unproven goaltenders. Buckle up Lightning fans. We're in for a hell of a ride next season. Whether or not we'll survive... is a different question.

The YzerJesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
jg39
SFY is great

vCash: 517
Quote:
This is the Lightning board...the Islanders board can be found if you look in the Atlantic division

jg39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
The Fear Boners
Plz stop pucks

Quote:
I think you might be in the wrong forum, this isn't Calgary

Old
04-03-2013, 02:53 PM
bassassin

Quote:
Overreact much?

bassassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 02:53 PM
Pontius Palat
Liam Neeson's mentor

I hate this deal. Marty ****ing St. Louis was an unproven, short, lousy player when he was waived and signed by Tampa Bay at the age of 25. Cory Conacher is the reigning AHL MVP, among the top rookies of the year, has overcome all kinds of obstacles from his very birth, and is still only 23. I would not at all be surprised to see Conacher carve out a career like St. Louis and we just sent him off for something that would've cost us a 2nd round pick last year.

Pontius Palat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 02:56 PM
IdealisticSniper

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoseEmDown View Post
Is that all your gonna say today? Why don't you say something of value or say nothing at all.
Conacher was a free agent signing for us so yes he didn't cost us anything. Bishop is young and has a chance to be a really good goaltender.
This is the dumbest argument possible.

Hey Marty didn't cost is anything, why didnt we send him to Ottawa?

IdealisticSniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 02:58 PM
Sky04

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeykshade View Post
If the deal was for Johnson or Conacher, I'd have shipped Conacher too.

Johnson is much more complete.
Who cares, Conacher is a winger it's not like they're fighting for the same spot, Cory has so muhc potential its ridiculous.

Can't believe how much for gave up for another untested goalie what an awful trade.

Sky04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 03:01 PM
SP

Can anyone enlighten me about the source of the "Honey Badger" nickname?

SP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 03:01 PM
TheDaysOf 04
Rated [SFY]

Quote:
Oh I agree. Luckily it worked nicely for both sides - they need offense, we need goaltending.
Ottawa will be in our division, so I don't like that either that they are getting Conacher. I hope I'm wrong but I'm not to optimistic it'll work out better for us than it does for them.

TheDaysOf 04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 03:03 PM
Butchered
Whatchu doin Cooper?

Send a message via AIM to Butchered
The reaction from Tampa fans over a rookie who scored 12 points in the first 7 games and 12 points all season since then is ridiculous.

Butchered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 03:04 PM
The Fear Boners
Plz stop pucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by sky04 View Post
Who cares, Conacher is a winger it's not like they're fighting for the same spot, Cory has so muhc potential its ridiculous.

Can't believe how much for gave up for another untested goalie what an awful trade.
But Conacher is fighting for the same spot as Connolly and if i'm comparing ceilings and deciding, i'm picking Connolly.

Old
04-03-2013, 03:06 PM
TheDaysOf 04
Rated [SFY]

Quote:
Originally Posted by SP View Post
Can anyone enlighten me about the source of the "Honey Badger" nickname?
http://www.tampabay.com/sports/hocke...er-too/1272121
Quote:
The thing Cory Conacher enjoys most about that YouTube video that extols the virtues of the honey badger is the animal is portrayed as such a relentlessly fierce beast.

"A honey badger kind of does whatever it wants," Conacher said. "It's a gritty creature."

In other words, the Lightning's rookie left wing embraces the nickname given him last season at AHL Norfolk.

"Definitely a compliment," said Jon Cooper, Conacher's coach with the Admirals. "If you ever watch the video, the honey badger takes what it wants."
http://tbo.com/list/sports-columns-m...ghtning-620900
Quote:
... earn a nickname from a team trainer that has stuck: Honey Badger.

Conacher gives some credit to some St. Louis advice.

"He told me to just keep my feet moving and don't be afraid to go in those dirty areas," Conacher said. "That's where Marty goes. I like to play in those corners and go in front of the net, stir the pot a little bit, be a little Honey Badger."

TheDaysOf 04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 03:10 PM
Sky04

Quote:
But Conacher is fighting for the same spot as Connolly and if i'm comparing ceilings and deciding, i'm picking Connolly.
Because of his draft position?

Conacher had the higher ceiling IMO, he has a lower skillset but much more vision and hockey IQ. Conacher has shown he can mesh with our top lines.

Sky04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 03:10 PM
officeglen

Quote:
Is that all your gonna say today? Why don't you say something of value or say nothing at all.
Conacher was a free agent signing for us so yes he didn't cost us anything. Bishop is young and has a chance to be a really good goaltender.
On March 20th you did say, in another Bishop to Tampa thread:
Quote:
Why does everyone think Tampa "badly" needs goaltending? We are happy with Lindback, end of thread.
Now he's a need for your team?

officeglen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 03:14 PM
RussianGuyovich
Hella Ennui

vCash: 742
Send a message via MSN to RussianGuyovich
woah ho ho officeglen, reading post histories.

do me next

RussianGuyovich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 03:14 PM
Follower of Yzlam
Believe the Yzerplan

vCash: 1159
Quote:
Originally Posted by sky04 View Post
Because of his draft position?

Conacher had the higher ceiling IMO, he has a lower skillset but much more vision and hockey IQ. Conacher has shown he can mesh with our top lines.
Wow... disagree with this one bigtime. Conacher is great and I'm going to miss him, but Connolly has some great tools in the toolbox that will help him along. Also realize that he's 20 to Conacher's 23... I understand what you're saying, but this seems a bit reactionary.

Follower of Yzlam is offline   Reply With Quote