HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Flyers Acquire Steve Mason; have re-signed him to a 1-yr ($1.5m ext.), Apr. 8

Old
04-03-2013, 02:51 PM
Codith

vCash: 500
Mason was once a Calder winner, and very promising prospect before that, somewhere along the way, something got ****ed up. IF that can be fixed or adjusted, then who knows what could happen.

Codith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 02:52 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

This just in...Bryzgalov quits the Flyers and joins NASA bc he cant handle the pressure of having a quasi NHL backup behind him ...

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 02:52 PM
Yukon Cornelius
LoosenUpSandyBaby!

vCash: 50
This deal makes absolutely no sense unless Bryz is being bought out this summer.

Bernier in the Summer? Perhaps. Don't qualify Mason but re-sign him to a lesser contract? Maybe but again, irregardless of all these scenarios, I don't see how you can't draw the conclusion that Bryz is being bought out in the off-season.

Yukon Cornelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 02:53 PM
SeanCWombBroom
DownieFaceSoftener

Quote:
Originally Posted by Codith View Post
Mason was once a Calder winner, and very promising prospect before that, somewhere along the way, something got ****ed up. IF that can be fixed or adjusted, then who knows what could happen.
Goaltenders always come to Philly to turn it around. The crack staff here will definitely strengthen his game.

SeanCWombBroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 02:54 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Im going to bring some sanity to this thread before some people blow a socket. I am guessing I have seen more BJ games then most on this Flyers board (their my 2nd team). Been watching them since 2006 so kinda new but I have a decent idea of Mason.

I want to say one thing first. I DO NOT think this is a bad deal. Realistically, we can only hope a 3rd round pick could turn into Mason (currently a backup goalie).

Now who is Steve Mason. While those who look at stats see an average goalie, Mason DOES have the talent to be a decent starter in the NHL. I have watched him play the past few years, and his main problem is consistency. There are times where he could play LIGHTS OUT 95% of the game, but let in 1 or 2 soft goals and they lose. He is extremely inconsistent. That being said, he is still young as an NHL goalie (24 turning 25). He has the talent to turn in around. He really does. It is funny what a trade for a goaltender could do to them. Sometimes a great goalie becomes average, while an average goalie becomes great. There are MANY cases around the league that happen like this. Mason's main problem as a goalie was that he would FLY around the crease, getting out of position a lot. Supposedly he worked on it this past summer but this opened up new holes in his game. I guess its time to see from out point of view what he can now do.

I don't think this is a bad gamble. My guess is that they look to play Mason a decent amount during the stretch and based off his play will maybe decide to amnesty Bryz. While this might sound crazy, I can see Homer and the gang do this. Mason has a lot of work to do, but the kid has the talent to be good. He just has to screw his head on straight first.

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 02:55 PM
Coppy
Good Luck Richie!

Are people really upset that we just traded a 3rd round pick? We haven't had a 3rd rounder that turned into anything in over 10 years... The Bob deal will still sting with or without this trade. It has no impact on this trade.

My reaction to this trade was "eh, whatever..."

Coppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 02:56 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
Im going to bring some sanity to this thread before some people blow a socket. I am guessing I have seen more BJ games then most on this Flyers board (their my 2nd team). Been watching them since 2006 so kinda new but I have a decent idea of Mason.

I want to say one thing first. I DO NOT think this is a bad deal. Realistically, we can only hope a 3rd round pick could turn into Mason (currently a backup goalie).

Now who is Steve Mason. While those who look at stats see an average goalie, Mason DOES have the talent to be a decent starter in the NHL. I have watched him play the past few years, and his main problem is consistency. There are times where he could play LIGHTS OUT 95% of the game, but let in 1 or 2 soft goals and they lose. He is extremely inconsistent. That being said, he is still young as an NHL goalie (24 turning 25). He has the talent to turn in around. He really does. It is funny what a trade for a goaltender could do to them. Sometimes a great goalie becomes average, while an average goalie becomes great. There are MANY cases around the league that happen like this.

I don't think this is a bad gamble. My guess is that they look to play Mason a decent amount during the stretch and based off his play will maybe decide to amnesty Bryz. While this might sound crazy, I can see Homer and the gang do this. Mason has a lot of work to do, but the kid has the talent to be good. He just has to screw his head on straight first.
Sounds exactly like another goalie I know but he's not 24 and carrying a low cap hit.

LegionOfDoom91 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 02:57 PM
dats81

Spending a third round pick on a goalie at the draft is more risky than acquiring a 24 year old, former Calder winner, who has struggled on a bad team.

His salary will come down next season. I'd expect him to sign a cheap one year contract, something between 1.1 - 1.6M. Mason will do everything it takes to redeem himself with a competitive franchise.

The biggest concern is that we now have two enigmatic, inconsistent goalies.

dats81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 02:58 PM
nevermore
Cap space since 2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coppy View Post
We haven't had a 3rd rounder that turned into anything in over 10 years...
What, you didn't like Garrett Klotz?

nevermore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
DeflatedFootball7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coppy View Post
Are people really upset that we just traded a 3rd round pick? We haven't had a 3rd rounder that turned into anything in over 10 years... The Bob deal will still sting with or without this trade. It has no impact on this trade.

My reaction to this trade was "eh, whatever..."
I feel like picks have become overrated because Cousins dominated the OHL, and Ghost was on the US WJ team. It's not as big a deal as goofballs are making it out to be.

DeflatedFootball7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
FlyersFan61290

at least it's not a pick this year, or next yr when the draft is in philly.

mason will be turning 25 soon. i have little hope that he'll turn it around but maybe he can be a competent back-up.

FlyersFan61290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 03:00 PM
flyersguy33*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prongo View Post
good riddance bryz!

flyersguy33* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 03:02 PM
Prongo
Beer

https://twitter.com/waynefish1/statu...40012108611584

Quote:
Holmgren says he believes he can talk Mason into restructuring his contract down for next year.

Prongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prongo View Post
Is that a possibility under the CBA?

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
SolidSnakeUS

Homer is really doing is homework right now if he can pull that off.

SolidSnakeUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 03:03 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan61290 View Post
at least it's not a pick this year, or next yr when the draft is in philly.

mason will be turning 25 soon. i have little hope that he'll turn it around but maybe he can be a competent back-up.
I'm not so sure if he turns it around but 25's not even old for NHL standards despite what people may tell you on these boards.

Old
04-03-2013, 03:04 PM
flyersguy33*

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post

Now who is Steve Mason. While those who look at stats see an average goalie, Mason DOES have the talent to be a decent starter in the NHL. I have watched him play the past few years, and his main problem is consistency. There are times where he could play LIGHTS OUT 95% of the game, but let in 1 or 2 soft goals and they lose. He is extremely inconsistent. That being said, he is still young as an NHL goalie (24 turning 25). He has the talent to turn in around. He really does. It is funny what a trade for a goaltender could do to them. Sometimes a great goalie becomes average, while an average goalie becomes great. There are MANY cases around the league that happen like this. Mason's main problem as a goalie was that he would FLY around the crease, getting out of position a lot. Supposedly he worked on it this past summer but this opened up new holes in his game. I guess its time to see from out point of view what he can now do.

well repped

flyersguy33* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 03:04 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
Perhaps with player consent?

They better hope his agent is asleep

04-03-2013, 03:05 PM
PALE PWNR

vCash: 1050
Quote:
He doesn't have a contract for next year but his qualifying offer is 2.9 so for Mason to retain his RFA status we have to offer him 2,9 or he has to accept a deal under that. Not technically restructuring a contract more of giving him less then hes actually owed due to RFA rules.

PALE PWNR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 03:05 PM
PALE PWNR

vCash: 1050
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
I'm not so sure if he turns it around but 25's not even old for NHL standards despite what people may tell you on these boards.
Especially for goalies.

PALE PWNR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 03:06 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1347
Quote:
Mason is a RFA after this season.

MiamiScreamingEagles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 03:07 PM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

vCash: 955
Quote:
A player can accept a lower contract before reaching the qualifying offer period; rarely would one choose to do so, though.

LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by PALE PWNR View Post
Especially for goalies.
Not that I'm comparing them but didn't Belfour break into the league around 25?

Old
spudnick

Are people here that naive to see that this Finally is the end to Bryz. Why would they give up a 3rd for him if they weren't going to but out Bryz and just let Mason go this summer. There are only 13 games left and they didn't bring in Mason to spell off Bryz for a few games. If they didn't plan on keeping Mason why give up a third and let Bryz play the remaining 13 games. He's played almost every game so far. This ha to be going through Bryz's head in which case I hope it bothers him enough to mess with his head and keep his game where it has been since he game here, in the toilet. It's so plainly obvious that this is a precursor to a Bryz buyout.

spudnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 03:08 PM
BillDineen

Randy Miller ‏@RandyJMiller 2m
Quote:
#Flyers missed chance to get potential star goalie by not dealing for Bishop, who went from Ott to Tampa. I'd have offered Couts and a 2nd
LOL. He is dumber than Tim P.

BillDineen is offline   Reply With Quote