HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

April 3rd Deadline Approaching

Old
04-03-2013, 02:10 PM
Iron Duke

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecloser View Post
Am I the only one that is pissed about Gaborik and Pominville? How do we not pull one of those guys? Looking at the returns the NYR and BUF got we coulda offered similar or better.

Atleast in the Gabby trade. Poile WTF?
Columbus gave up:
-A 40-45 point center (Wilson)
-A promising young defenseman (Ellis)
-A bottom 6 energy guy type (Clune?)

Minnesota gave up:
-A talented young center that projects a 2nd liner (Watson)
-A solid young goaltender (Hellberg?)
-1st
-2nd

Both for guys that will be UFAs at the end of next season. Those seem like prudent moves for a team that really needs to be acquiring more young assets rather than short-term vets?

Iron Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 02:11 PM
CantbeatzPekka
Weber/Jones/Josi

weak, weak deadline by Poile. He is indecisiveness is killing us. With all his "window of opportunity" talk he sure doesnt mind wasting away the time...

CantbeatzPekka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 02:11 PM
thecloser

honestly almost any deal for the guys that were traded would have been good for us minus the goalie trades and torres.

seriously though, pominville and gabby both going and you're telling me we couldn't best the deals that were made?

Hell, I woulda taken Comeau for a 5th rounder. Jesus Poile, just sit on your thumb and don't do anything. not a happy camper on trade day.

We coulda had Cammalleri for like a 5th rounder too. Damn.

thecloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 02:12 PM
Webersmashpuck

Quote:
Am I the only one that is pissed about Gaborik and Pominville? How do we not pull one of those guys? Looking at the returns the NYR and BUF got we coulda offered similar or better.

Atleast in the Gabby trade. Poile WTF?
I would have been mad if we did that, comparables for what we could have offered.

Watson/Beck and Hellberg for Pominville

Bourque, Clune and Ellis for Gaborik

Gaborik has 1 year left on his contract and is already getting older.

Pominville would be nice but we are not going to the playoffs so I do the trade last year but not this year.

Webersmashpuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 02:13 PM
hockey diva

To be fair, Poile might have tried but nobody wants our crap players.

hockey diva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 02:13 PM
thecloser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Duke View Post
Columbus gave up:
-A 40-45 point center (Wilson)
-A promising young defenseman (Ellis)
-A bottom 6 energy guy type (Clune?)

Minnesota gave up:
-A talented young center that projects a 2nd liner (Watson)
-A solid young goaltender (Hellberg?)
-1st
-2nd

Both for guys that will be UFAs at the end of next season. Those seem like prudent moves for a team that really needs to be acquiring more young assets rather than short-term vets?
I'm sure we wouldn't have had to give up Hellberg. More like J. Smith. We could have given Ellis, Goose, and Yip possibly

And for Pommy we could have offered Watson and J. Smith. Wouldn't have given up our 1st but I'm just saying its dumb we didn't make one move other than Hannan who had to go. I fully believe Pommy would have re-signed here but I'm just beside myself that we couldn't have nabbed one of those guys.

Old
04-03-2013, 02:14 PM
Soundgarden

Wow, I'm surprised at how upset you guys are. Obviously Poile doesn't think we're contending this year, and rightfully so. Pomminville would have been nice, but he's a UFA and he'd cost several young pieces. Like I've said all year, see how the young guns do, don't trade the 1st, Drop hannen/gill. Next year we'll be better.

Soundgarden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 02:14 PM
Iron Duke

Quote:
honestly almost any deal for the guys that were traded would have been good for us minus the goalie trades and torres.

seriously though, pominville and gabby both going and you're telling me we couldn't best the deals that were made?

Hell, I woulda taken Comeau for a 5th rounder. Jesus Poile, just sit on your thumb and don't do anything. not a happy camper on trade day.

We coulda had Cammalleri for like a 5th rounder too. Damn.
We could have bested them, but it wouldn't have been worth it.

Old
04-03-2013, 02:17 PM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundgarden View Post
Wow, I'm surprised at how upset you guys are. Obviously Poile doesn't think we're contending this year, and rightfully so. Pomminville would have been nice, but he's a UFA and he'd cost several young pieces. Like I've said all year, see how the young guns do, don't trade the 1st, Drop hannen/gill. Next year we'll be better.
This. I'm happy that Poile didn't go into buy mode and kill this draft.

AtlantaWhaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 02:17 PM
Iron Duke

Quote:
I'm sure we wouldn't have had to give up Hellberg. More like J. Smith. We could have given Ellis, Goose, and Yip possibly

And for Pommy we could have offered Watson and J. Smith. Wouldn't have given up our 1st but I'm just saying its dumb we didn't make one move other than Hannan who had to go. I fully believe Pommy would have re-signed here but I'm just beside myself that we couldn't have nabbed one of those guys.
Hackett was the best prospect goalie in the Wild system. For us, that is Hellberg.

Ellis, Goose, and Yip is laughable. Ellis and Moore are equivalent, and I'd even give you Yip=Dorsett, but Derrick Brassard is a 25 year old center that averages around 40-45 pts a season.

How do you figure Buffalo would take Watson and Smith, with no 1st, over the package they DID take for Larsson, Hackett, a 1st and a 2nd?

Old
04-03-2013, 02:18 PM
Webersmashpuck

Quote:

No offense but Jeremy Smith is worthless at this point. Ellis has some value but more to us than in a trade. Yip is worth about a 6th rounder and Gaustad is probably a 2nd rounder.

Trading for those players would be the same exact thing Calgary has done for the past 5 years. It works great. No playoffs and no chance of playoffs in the future.

I guess people want moves for the sake of moves.

Webersmashpuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 02:22 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webersmashpuck View Post
I would have been mad if we did that, comparables for what we could have offered.

Watson/Beck and Hellberg for Pominville

Bourque, Clune and Ellis for Gaborik

Gaborik has 1 year left on his contract and is already getting older.

Pominville would be nice but we are not going to the playoffs so I do the trade last year but not this year.
Gabby 7.5m 1 year left winger with 9 goals.
Pomiville 5.3 m 1 year left winger 10 goals

Neither can play center to my knowledge.

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 02:22 PM
weeze

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockey diva View Post
To be fair, Poile might have tried but nobody wants our crap players.
Unfortunately this may be the cold hard truth!

weeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 02:28 PM
drwpreds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webersmashpuck View Post
Trading for those players would be the same exact thing Calgary has done for the past 5 years. It works great. No playoffs and no chance of playoffs in the future.

I guess people want moves for the sake of moves.
This, exactly-

The majority of people on this board just cannot be satisfied. If we had made a bunch of moves similar to others that have been made today, they would have been throwing a party.

But when those moves backfired a year from now and significantly hurt the future of the franchise, they would be back to "fire everyone" mode...

Its not sexy or exciting, but standing pat was the smart move for this deadline for the Preds.

drwpreds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 02:31 PM
Legionnaire11

The War Room picture on the previous page is BEGGING for a photoshop

Legionnaire11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 02:38 PM
deanwormer

vCash: 437
Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post

That just can't be; we should have traded away picks and prospects to get them, then we could rid ourselves of reliance on that Legwand character, you know, the guy that only has 10 goals...... and got rid of that Bourque as one of the assets for these guys, cause he only has 11 goals....

sometimes you just gotta' LOL at the "we must deal" attitude of our fanbase.....

deanwormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 02:40 PM
roseyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by weeze View Post
Unfortunately this may be the cold hard truth!
That is the bottom line we don't have any trade value unless your talking the big guys like Weber and Rinne and Josi and Wilson. Guys like Smith and Sk and Erat other teams have players like that why would they want our crap when they have crap

roseyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 02:45 PM
CantbeatzPekka
Weber/Jones/Josi

I just wanted to be sellers, and trade a player or two, do more than just Hannan for a seventh.

CantbeatzPekka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 02:46 PM
thecloser

All i'm trying to say is I'm just fed up with us not pushing for guys that in any other year can score and score consistently. Sure they aren't having great years but neither is anyone outside of Chicago, Anaheim and Pittsburgh.

We need different guys than the status quo. We could have bettered ourselves and I'm not saying give up our 1st but damn.

Old
04-03-2013, 02:46 PM
weeze

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post

Gabby (31yo) is better than a point per game (1.03) since 05-06! (except for this current yr) Playing 65 games 66pts, 48/57, 77/83, 17/23, 76/86, 62/48 and 82/76 games/points a season. Nah... we don't need that kind of scorer around here.

Pominville (30yo) is less than a point per game at 0.799 since 05-06 going 57gms/30pts, 82/68, 82/80, 82/66, 82/62, 73/52 and 82/73.

Pominville played more than 100 more games over same time but Gaborik had more than 100 points more than Pominville.

Both have a 1 yr contract after this season. Could have really used either one of these top 6 players!

Old
04-03-2013, 02:51 PM
dulzhok

I agree are assets are mostly depleted unless you are talking Weber (not tradable), Rinne, Josi, Wilson, HornQ.

So this is a situation where Poile almost has no choice but to stand-pat, unless giving up more draft picks.

The frustrating thing is to look at someone like Minnesota which obviously it seems to be their window (similar to us last year). They are getting 25-30-goals scorers for less than what we paid for freaking Paul Gaustaud. And, Pomenville is not just a pure rental either. Just being smart at the deadline. Props to them.

dulzhok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 02:51 PM
Soundgarden

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantbeatzPekka View Post
I just wanted to be sellers, and trade a player or two, do more than just Hannan for a seventh.
We DID trade a player, yes we didn't do anything exciting but we dealt an aging vet, picked up a late pick and kept all of our young players, core players, and draft picks. While I would have liked to have picked up another pick in the top 50 we did exactly what we needed to.

I'm so thankful Poile was being level headed about this season and didn't trade a high first for a 30 year old 2nd line tweeter and a shot at a eighth place spot at best.

Soundgarden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 02:52 PM
weeze

AND I really hate that Minnesota has gotten better! Of all the teams I want to beat most are the Wild! If they start beating us on a regular basis next yr, that will be heart wrenching!

Watching Leitard crying over all the spending and then do what he did is almost all I can take. Now he gets a prime top 6 player to boot. Parise had a big smile when told about the trade!

Old
04-03-2013, 02:57 PM
weeze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundgarden View Post
We DID trade a player, yes we didn't do anything exciting but we dealt an aging vet, picked up a late pick and kept all of our young players, core players, and draft picks. While I would have liked to have picked up another pick in the top 50 we did exactly what we needed to.

I'm so thankful Poile was being level headed about this season and didn't trade a high first for a 30 year old 2nd line tweeter and a shot at a eighth place spot at best.
Yeah, only time will tell. I hope when next yr rolls around and we see the 31 yo Gaborik and 30 yo Pominville (2nd line tweeter) scoring at a point per rate, it is not against us. (Won't be Gaborik due to CBJ moving east) I really am going to hate seeing MW come to Smashville with Suter/Parise and now Pominville several times a yr, unless we are kicking their butts!

Old
04-03-2013, 02:58 PM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Quote:
Originally Posted by weeze View Post
AND I really hate that Minnesota has gotten better! Of all the teams I want to beat most are the Wild! If they start beating us on a regular basis next yr, that will be heart wrenching!

Watching Leitard crying over all the spending and then do what he did is almost all I can take. Now he gets a prime top 6 player to boot. Parise had a big smile when told about the trade!
Uh...Not happy with the Sabres right now. Gave up Pomi and kept Stafford? (though, I'm reading the prospect Minni gave up is good).

AtlantaWhaler is offline   Reply With Quote