2013 OHL Priority Selection Prospects Part 3

Old
04-03-2013, 10:21 AM
defensehockey19

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Edwards View Post
Count on it.
Good for them. Look for them to bring in some veteran defenceman for sure.

defensehockey19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 10:21 AM
Mark Edwards
First Round Scouting

As of today this would be my best guess at the Top 5.

1. Ottawa -
Travis Konecny
2. Erie - Dylan Strome
3. Peterborough - Matt Spencer
4. Mississauga - Sean Day
5. Kingston - Lawson Crouse

Mark Edwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 10:25 AM
Mark Edwards
First Round Scouting

Laura Barney sent in a couple more interviews last night.

Nikita Korostelev and Zach Wilkie from the Toronto Jr. Canadiens

Heard Sarnia is taking a good hard look at Nikita. I'm a fan of both players.

Interviews Link

Old
04-03-2013, 10:26 AM
defensehockey19

Quote:

1. Ottawa -
Travis Konecny
2. Erie - Dylan Strome

Love it for all teams.

Old
04-03-2013, 10:36 AM
Petes1

What would be the reason for Peterborough passing on the defenceman with the higher upside?

The only way I don't see Peterborough taking him is if he won't come here. He makes way too much sense for a team that struggles on and off the ice. The Petes could market him in a big way.

It would be a very questionable decision.

Petes1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 10:45 AM
Luvtowatch

Quote:

1. Ottawa -
Travis Konecny
2. Erie - Dylan Strome

Hasn't Spencer been playing hardball with the teams? I heard he wants to play in Niagara.

Luvtowatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 11:13 AM
defensehockey19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvtowatch View Post
Hasn't Spencer been playing hardball with the teams? I heard he wants to play in Niagara.
Who knows for sure... rumours.

Old
04-03-2013, 11:36 AM
Mark Edwards
First Round Scouting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvtowatch View Post
I can say with quite a bit of confidence that all that talk has been exaggerated.

I think it's quite safe to say he will report to teams like the Peterborough's etc..

The funny part about all the 'Spencer to Mississauga' talk that was going around, is that Spencer has the same agent as Scott Teskey...not exactly a player who's career has flourished in Mississauga.

Not blaming Mississauga by the way, just an interesting connection between the two players.

Old
04-03-2013, 11:45 AM
defensehockey19

Quote:
I can say with quite a bit of confidence that all that talk has been exaggerated.

I think it's quite safe to say he will report to teams like the Peterborough's etc..

The funny part about all the 'Spencer to Mississauga' talk that was going around, is that Spencer has the same agent as Scott Teskey...not exactly a player who's career has flourished in Mississauga.

Not blaming Mississauga by the way, just an interesting connection between the two players.
This is awesome news if true.

Old
04-03-2013, 12:15 PM
JLowery

Quote:

For the record, most of the "talk" wasn't exaggerated at all. It was known specifically he only wanted to play in Missy to be close to home which changed once Day was officially in the mix. Probably under the direction of Reznick hence he now he may be considered the first Dman drafted over Day. The plan all along if Day was not the 67s pick.

JLowery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 03:12 PM
Mark Edwards
First Round Scouting

Tweeted out earlier, I'm told Erie has officially informed Sean Day's agency that they won't be picking him. My guess is Petes pass as well and put Mississauga in a position to select him or pass.

Old
04-03-2013, 03:14 PM
defensehockey19

Quote:
Tweeted out earlier, I'm told Erie has officially informed Sean Day's agency that they won't be picking him. My guess is Petes pass as well and put Mississauga in a position to select him or pass.
I will only be okay with this as a Petes fan IF they get Spencer. Spencer is a gamer, kid can flat out play the game.

Old
04-03-2013, 03:20 PM
willy29

Quote:
I can't believe teams are passing on Day....would love to know the real reason they are...

willy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 03:22 PM
Petes1

Quote:
What is your reason for guessing the Petes pass though? There has to be a reason you are guessing the Petes are passing on the kid everyone is saying is the best player in the draft.

Old
04-03-2013, 03:51 PM
Luvtowatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petes1 View Post
What is your reason for guessing the Petes pass though? There has to be a reason you are guessing the Petes are passing on the kid everyone is saying is the best player in the draft.
I heard from a good source Day to Petes.

Luvtowatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 03:55 PM
mapleleaf979

Quote:
Originally Posted by willy29 View Post
I can't believe teams are passing on Day....would love to know the real reason they are...
Based on inconsistent compete level/decision making. They have less concerns about the player they select. Maybe there is more to the story. If Erie does in fact pass on Day, I think this is an error, but Strome is an incredible talent. What has more value Day and a second round forward which the talent drops off or Strome and second round Dman who is probably better than the second round forward.

mapleleaf979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 03:57 PM
Mark Edwards
First Round Scouting

Quote:
Why are the first two teams passing?

Far from a lock but I'll stick with my Spencer to Petes pick.

Old
04-03-2013, 04:59 PM
Kingpin794
Lucky 13

And with the 8t pick in the 2013 OHL draft the Saginaw Spirit are proud to select...

Sean Day.

Well since no one else seems to want him.

Kingpin794 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 05:30 PM
PhlyerPhanatic
Noob Magnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingpin794 View Post
And with the 8th pick in the 2013 OHL draft the Saginaw Spirit are proud to select...

Sean Day.

Well since no one else seems to want him.
Nah Kingpin..he'll fall to 19th and the Knights will take him...then everyone will say it was a cooked deal. More believable.

PhlyerPhanatic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 05:43 PM
chewerjones

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleleaf979 View Post
Based on inconsistent compete level/decision making. They have less concerns about the player they select. Maybe there is more to the story. If Erie does in fact pass on Day, I think this is an error, but Strome is an incredible talent. What has more value Day and a second round forward which the talent drops off or Strome and second round Dman who is probably better than the second round forward.
I might have to disagree on the 2nd point about the 2nd round dman will be more productive than the 2nd round forward. I dont see it.

Alot of people say that it is a defence heavy draft, but beyond the top 10 dmen, therre isnt a suitable dman that will have a chance to make their OHL team.

I think you may be able to go 25 deep with just forwards that have a chance to make their OHL team. But only 10 or so dmen that can legitimately make their OHL team.

For this reason, a team that has a chance to pick Day or Spencer should pick them, as they will get a quality forward in the early 2nd round that will make the team.

chewerjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 05:46 PM
chewerjones

Quote:

However, if Spencer agrees to go to Missy, then Reznick can use that leverage to force James Boyd to play Teskey on 2nd line PP or 3rd line regular shift every game.

Use one tool to fix the other.

chewerjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 06:04 PM
mapleleaf979

Quote:
Originally Posted by chewerjones View Post
I might have to disagree on the 2nd point about the 2nd round dman will be more productive than the 2nd round forward. I dont see it.

Alot of people say that it is a defence heavy draft, but beyond the top 10 dmen, therre isnt a suitable dman that will have a chance to make their OHL team.

I think you may be able to go 25 deep with just forwards that have a chance to make their OHL team. But only 10 or so dmen that can legitimately make their OHL team.

For this reason, a team that has a chance to pick Day or Spencer should pick them, as they will get a quality forward in the early 2nd round that will make the team.
Thats fair. I dont agree that after the top 10 defenseman, none have a chance to make there team.
Would Noah Carroll,Matt MCConnach, Wilkie, Clapham, Walters be inside your Top 10 Dmen? I think those 5 can make there squads and more. I think skilled forwards with size are few and fair between. In the second round I think guys like Bushnell will have more OHL success than some of the smaller point producing minor midget players.

Just curious, name a few of the quality forwards that you envision making the OHL?

mapleleaf979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 08:37 PM
defensehockey19

@PboroExaminer: Petes passing on Sean Day to take Matthew Spencer with 1st-round pick in OHL draft Saturday. http://t.co/6YccX5UYKu

Old
04-03-2013, 08:38 PM
Petes1

Quote:
http://www.thepeterboroughexaminer.c...r-in-ohl-draft

There you go, looks like you're right. Petes will take Spencer.

Old
04-03-2013, 08:58 PM
defensehockey19

Quote:
http://www.thepeterboroughexaminer.c...r-in-ohl-draft

There you go, looks like you're right. Petes will take Spencer.
Couldn't be happier too be honest. If Maturity is an issue for Day Petes got the man that fits the biggest need for them and is considered the best D of his age group. Compared to Mckeown almost so lets hope he has that sort of impact for the Maroon and White